PDA

View Full Version : The Big Sky Shuffle

SeattleBobcat
June 18th, 2016, 07:06 PM
Last year was a crazy year for many Big Sky fans. For the first time in god knows how long a team not named the Griz, Eagles, or Bobcats, won the conference crown. SUU handled their Big Sky foes and PSU was laying smackdowns on FBS teams. The Griz fought tooth and nail for a playoff berth, but both the Eag's and the Cat's watched from home after disappointing seasons. NAU made noise with a young team as did UND, although UND's success was not rewarded as they also sat home regardless of a 7-4 record and a FBS win.

2016 seems primed for another crazy year by Big Sky standards. I see the young teams of NAU, PSU and UND will be more matured and should be solid teams. HC Baldwin at EWU has shown his offense is always one of the best in the nation and I also see them getting back on track, despite a rocky start from a stiff schedule. After these four teams I think is where the question marks start in the Big Sky.

The Griz IMO are the next best team in the Big Sky after the four above mentioned teams, but the question marks come the high turn over after the 2015 season. while I'm sure they've landed some great player's from the 40+ additions to the 2016 roster sometimes chemistry can take time to develop. I think they may struggle early on in the season, but once they hit their groove they'll be quite dangerous.

The next question mark resides with the Bobcats, after the first losing season in 15 years HC Rob Ash was shown the door. In his place Montana State hired University of Washington's defensive line coach Jeff Choate to shore up the Bobcats struggling defense. While Ash was the first he wasn't the last as Choate basically cleaned house. So 2016 hopes to be a rebirth for Bobcat fans, Since Choate has taken the reins he's made many moves to get the Cats back on track. Coaches weren't the only thing that shocking departures at MSU last year either. All-American Junior QB Dakota Prukop graduated early and made a graduate transfer to Oregon, leaving a gapping hole in the Cats offense. Transfer Tyler Bruggman looks to fill that hole and a load of other Transfers to the Defense looks to build some much need depth.

After the Griz it's a contentious place. There seems to be a lot of teams that think they will be competitive, WSU, CP, UCD, MSU. Who's next? Since I'm a bobcat fan, so I believe it's MSU. If you think your team belongs in the Top half of the Big Sky let's hear your case!

grizband
June 18th, 2016, 07:54 PM
Last year was a crazy year for many Big Sky fans. For the first time in god knows how long a team not named the Griz, Eagles, or Bobcats, won the conference crown. SUU handled their Big Sky foes and PSU was laying smackdowns on FBS teams. The Griz fought tooth and nail for a playoff berth, but both the Eag's and the Cat's watched from home after disappointing seasons. NAU made noise with a young team as did UND, although UND's success was not rewarded as they also sat home regardless of a 7-4 record and a FBS win.
Looked it up; the last time Montana, Montana State, or EWU didn't at least tie for the conference championship was 1994 (Boise State). Cal Poly tied in 2012, Weber tied in 2008, NAU tied in 2003, and Idaho State tied in 2002; otherwise, it's been a three team race for awhile.

dudeitsaid
June 18th, 2016, 11:11 PM
HC Baldwin at EWU has shown his offense is always one of the best in the nation and I also see them getting back on track, despite a rocky start from a stiff schedule. After these four teams I think is where the question marks start in the Big Sky.

I would love to see EWU in playoff contention next year, but I think next year will be somewhat of a rebuilding year, followed by several years of Eastern regaining a position in the top of the BSC and national scene. I think the Eagle defense will be somewhat improved this year (once you hit the bottom, the only direction is up!), but will see more improvement the following year. Stacked against the Eagles is the newest offensive line we've ever had. We lost a huge contingent of our O-line (Every starter, and two of the next best linemen), and that will create challenges in a running game that was already struggling, as well as shorten timing for the passing game. Our third string QB seems to be poised to pass QB's 1 and 2 from last year for the starting job this season, and a big part of that may be related to his mobility, as he's going to have to possess strong escapability to give the passing game a chance. We picked up some very solid RB recruits in this years recruiting class that will create more balance in the offense the following year when the O line has a year under their belts. This year though, the deck is stacked against us. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised, but the first half gauntlet of a schedule, one I believe is likely the toughest 4 game start of any team in the FCS will about the greatest trial by fire I've seen, and may be too much to recover from for our young team.

See the article below from the Spokesman Review for some info on the EWU offensive line woes:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/apr/14/easterns-offensive-line-work-in-progress-with-high/

UNDColorado
June 20th, 2016, 03:35 PM
Maybe this shuffle can be looked at as an all around improvement in competition? The big Sky hasn't really been that productive in the playoffs lately so I can't help but think that better middle of the pack teams can provide tougher competition to make the league better as a whole. IDK, it's off season and this is about the time of year I start getting antsy for football to begin.

Silenoz
June 22nd, 2016, 10:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz-PtEJEaqY

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
June 22nd, 2016, 12:17 PM
UND wins the conference as the third or fourth best team because of an incredibly easy schedule, and thousands of hours in the weight room, and raw egg yokes.

centennial
June 22nd, 2016, 02:29 PM
UND wins the conference as the third or fourth best team because of an incredibly easy schedule, and thousands of hours in the weight room, and raw egg yokes.

Egg yokes are the key. Especially Hawk eggs.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
June 22nd, 2016, 05:34 PM
Egg yokes are the key. Especially Hawk eggs.

Its the next best thing when you don't have talent....

dakotadan
June 30th, 2016, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the brilliant insight.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
June 30th, 2016, 08:22 PM
Your right, even a blind man could see you don't have much.xdrunkyx #smileyface

veinup
July 1st, 2016, 11:30 AM
i for one have no idea what is happening/what will happen, so i guess i like your predictions... xconfusedx

dudeitsaid
September 3rd, 2016, 11:09 PM
I would love to see EWU in playoff contention next year, but I think next year will be somewhat of a rebuilding year...

Forget I said that... Go Eagles!!!

Red & Black
September 3rd, 2016, 11:30 PM
Forget I said that... Go Eagles!!!

+1 NDSU might actually be a good game.

dewey
September 3rd, 2016, 11:41 PM
+1 NDSU might actually be a good game.

I was hoping for a NDSU blowout for obvious reasons but it could be a very good matchup.

Dewey

SeattleBobcat
September 4th, 2016, 12:25 AM
Congrats Eags, Nice win. While my Cats lost, it was nice to see some defense again. I can't wait for next week!

veinup
September 4th, 2016, 10:05 AM
griz rebuilding year

FCSwatcher
September 4th, 2016, 10:15 AM
griz rebuilding year

It is only one game, so hard to tell.

Need a lot of work by next weekend or Gustafson will not walk off the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 4th, 2016, 11:01 AM
I was hoping for a NDSU blowout for obvious reasons but it could be a very good matchup.

Dewey

NDSU's defense is way better than WSU's and it is not even close.

NDSU needs to run the ball and eat clock. EWU will probably pass the ball 50 times in this game so the secondary needs to be prepared. Let's see how Kupp does against a quality defense. He'll make some catches but if you are not on the field it will be hard to have gaudy stats.

NDSU by 2 TDs....or more IMO.

Grizalltheway
September 4th, 2016, 03:16 PM

NDSU needs to run the ball and eat clock. EWU will probably pass the ball 50 times in this game so the secondary needs to be prepared. Let's see how Kupp does against a quality defense. He'll make some catches but if you are not on the field it will be hard to have gaudy stats.

UNI's defense was pretty good last year and he had close to 200 yards in the first half IIRC.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
September 4th, 2016, 03:25 PM

Dude, Kupp will get his. This is naive....