PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk St. stripped of 2011 MEAC title, etc...

kdinva
June 16th, 2016, 03:16 PM
OUch.

http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/norfolk-state/norfolk-state-stripped-of-wins-meac-football-title-and-placed/article_79e8da10-20c4-58d2-9277-295a2702dfd7.html

bonarae
June 16th, 2016, 07:12 PM
Yikes. Long-term effect of the APR penalties, perhaps? xconfusedx

mvemjsunpx
June 16th, 2016, 09:12 PM
Yikes. Long-term effect of the APR penalties, perhaps? xconfusedx

Doesn't seem that way…

The article makes it sound like sheer administrative incompetence.

Milktruck74
June 16th, 2016, 09:33 PM
Taking away wins 5 years later....really? what kind of penalty is that? are they going to go collect all the Championship hats and shirts from the fans or rings from the players?

mvemjsunpx
June 17th, 2016, 01:04 AM
Taking away wins 5 years later....really? what kind of penalty is that? are they going to go collect all the Championship hats and shirts from the fans or rings from the players?

Doesn't seem that strange to me, aside from the delay in administering it. These infractions happened during that period & they declared the players from that period ineligible, hence the vacated wins/championships. The NCAA doesn't seem to have many clear-cut & straightforward punishments, but Ineligible Player(s) --> Vacated Wins is one of the few they do have.

It's also a big deal for Norfolk State because it was their only ever MEAC title & their only conference title of any kind since 1984.

Laker
June 17th, 2016, 06:55 AM
It's also a big deal for Norfolk State because it was their only ever MEAC title & their only conference title of any kind since 1984.

Wow. That is pretty sad.

Libertine
June 17th, 2016, 07:22 AM
This seems to stem more from incompetence rather than willful intent to deceive and could be fallout from Norfolk State's financial troubles during that time period. There was significant conversation in 2012 about merging NSU into Old Dominion.

Little Stevie
June 17th, 2016, 01:18 PM
I hope this does not include ex-HC Pete Adrian in any way ??

RootinFerDukes
June 17th, 2016, 08:35 PM
I believe both Norfolk state and Virginia state (D2) are two struggling schools that are rumored to might have to close their doors in the future.

Libertine
June 18th, 2016, 09:11 AM
I hope this does not include ex-HC Pete Adrian in any way ??

Yes and no. It appears the problem was the fault of NSU's compliance department and not Adrian nor his staff, however, he was the coach so those are his wins and title being vacated.

Colgate98
June 21st, 2016, 09:44 AM
I believe both Norfolk state and Virginia state (D2) are two struggling schools that are rumored to might have to close their doors in the future.

Very possible given their financial and enrollment issues.