PDA

View Full Version : FCS Schools Want To Tighten Graduate Transfer Rule

SU DOG
June 14th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Interesting article from STATS:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/fcs-schools-want-to-tighten-graduate-transfer-rule-061416

WTFCollegefootballfan
June 14th, 2016, 04:27 PM
Interesting

bonarae
June 14th, 2016, 04:46 PM
Interesting. No Ivy has had a graduate transfer come in, due to our no redshirt rule, but we do have had players transfer out, though they are not in football.

Hopefully the rules should tighten up.

Professor Chaos
June 14th, 2016, 05:08 PM
Can we make it a rule then also that coaches have to "play out" their contracts before they bolt for an FBS job?

I just find it incredibly hypocritical with coaches and commissioners try to use the "investment" a university makes in a kid in terms of a scholarship as justification to tighten up the graduate transfer rule. Schools make investments in coaches and conferences make investments in commissioners that are almost exclusively multi-year commitments for a hell of a lot more money than a scholarship in most places (which is a year-to-year commitment only) yet there's no restrictions on where they go other than a buy-out.

If a kid wants to transfer up a level after he's graduated, and he's good enough to play at level, so be it. Quit over-regulating everything. If schools want to change this rule then they need to start making scholarships more than a single year commitment. Make it a 5 year commitment and then you have a legit beef if a guy wants to leave after 4.

SeattleBobcat
June 14th, 2016, 05:42 PM
I kinda like what Choate is proposing, a hit to the APR seems like a reasonable thing if the student athlete isn't putting the work in on their classes. However, if you're trying to make the NFL you're not going to want to attend spring semester, but as long as you go back with in a certain time period I think the deduction should be waived.

BisonTru
June 14th, 2016, 05:53 PM
Can we make it a rule then also that coaches have to "play out" their contracts before they bolt for an FBS job?

I just find it incredibly hypocritical with coaches and commissioners try to use the "investment" a university makes in a kid in terms of a scholarship as justification to tighten up the graduate transfer rule. Schools make investments in coaches and conferences make investments in commissioners that are almost exclusively multi-year commitments for a hell of a lot more money than a scholarship in most places (which is a year-to-year commitment only) yet there's no restrictions on where they go other than a buy-out.

If a kid wants to transfer up a level after he's graduated, and he's good enough to play at level, so be it. Quit over-regulating everything. If schools want to change this rule then they need to start making scholarships more than a single year commitment. Make it a 5 year commitment and then you have a legit beef if a guy wants to leave after 4.

I agree with all of this.

JSUSoutherner
June 14th, 2016, 06:01 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Professor Chaos again.

PAllen
June 15th, 2016, 12:21 PM
Interesting. No Ivy has had a graduate transfer come in, due to our no redshirt rule, but we do have had players transfer out, though they are not in football.

Hopefully the rules should tighten up.

I seem to remember a few in Men's Lacrosse.