PDA

View Full Version : Harvard free for all that are accepted?

DetroitFlyer
December 20th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Holy cow, Harvard has enough money from their current endowment fund to allow EVERY student to attend for free! According to this article, if your family earns less than $50K/yr you can go for free! Yeah, the Ivys may not have football scholarships, but it does not appear as though that matters much at Harvard. Let's hear what the Harvard folks have to say about this article. Is it at all possible that the cost per student is $158K? Man, I need to find a job as an accountant at one of these colleges....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/061219&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

Harvard Course: Fuzzy Math 101: As higher education grows ever-more expensive and essential to success, the price of a bachelor's degree is becoming a barrier to social equality. Recently Harvard, which charges an actual-cost average of $36,115 per year to undergraduates, said it would charge nothing at all to children from households earning less than $50,000 a year. Other elite schools are making similar pledges, while Princeton recently converted all financial-aid loans into grants (discounts), making college more affordable for average families. These are good developments. My question: Why does anyone pay to attend Harvard? At the end of fiscal 2006, Harvard's endowment, richest in education, hit $29 billion, which exceeds the gross domestic product of Costa Rica. Federal law requires that endowments and philanthropies give away at minimum 5 percent per year, so the Harvard endowment must release to Harvard at least $1.5 billion through the current fiscal cycle. That's $79,000 per student, combining undergrads and graduates. Swarthmore College recently told the New York Times its full annual spending (payments for attendance, plus endowment and foundation income) is $73,000 per student. Harvard has higher expenses than Swarthmore because it operates research-center facilities and a medical school, but Harvard also receives many millions of dollars annually in federal research and medical funding that Swarthmore and similar liberal-arts colleges don't receive. So if the Harvard endowment will throw off more per student this year than Swarthmore spends in total per student, why is Harvard charging anything to attend? Harvard asserts its expenses this academic year will be $3 billion, which works out to $158,000 per student. That's the expense Harvard claims per student per year, not per four-year degree. One wonders where all this money is actually going.

HIU 93
December 20th, 2006, 07:40 AM
This scholarship has been around for ages. It's in the news now because the salary maximum was just raised from 40K to 60K. Funny, I don't hear the affirmative action opponents ranting about this one. Isn't this an "entitlement program" for those that make less that a certain amount?

Ivytalk
December 20th, 2006, 08:28 AM
This scholarship has been around for ages. It's in the news now because the salary maximum was just raised from 40K to 60K. Funny, I don't hear the affirmative action opponents ranting about this one. Isn't this an "entitlement program" for those that make less that a certain amount?

Harvard wants to encourage applications from students from middle class backgrounds who might be daunted by the steep costs. The fear was that, but for the program, Harvard would turn into a school for the very rich and the very poor. Based on the reports that I see as a Harvard interviewer, I'd say that the program is working.:nod:

jmuroller
December 20th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Any Ivy league football team can still only give out enough financial aid to all of their football players that equal up to 63 scholarships.

HIU 93
December 20th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Harvard wants to encourage applications from students from middle class backgrounds who might be daunted by the steep costs. The fear was that, but for the program, Harvard would turn into a school for the very rich and the very poor. Based on the reports that I see as a Harvard interviewer, I'd say that the program is working.:nod:

I was being sarcastic. I have nothing against Harvard or the scholarship. I think the scholarship is a great idea.

Model Citizen
December 20th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Any Ivy league football team can still only give out enough financial aid to all of their football players that equal up to 63 scholarships.

ATHLETIC-related financial aid. Non-scholarship programs don't have counters (15.5.5.2).

If every dollar of financial aid conted toward the limit, Yale would have about 100 equivalencies.

MarkCCU
December 20th, 2006, 11:38 AM
what a great program!

BigApp
December 20th, 2006, 11:44 AM
y'know DF, Harvard is a member of the "Old guard"...:D :D :D

DetroitFlyer
December 20th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Harvard is certainly a unique institution. It sure seems as though they could move to I-A tomorrow if they so desired. Heck, they could probably just buy I-A!:) Talk about some serious resources. I think I read the other day that Stanford has a $250 Million endowment just for football.... That is almost as much as Dayton's total endowment. Just incredible the amount of money that some schools have at their disposal. Harvard is too old to part of the "Old Guard." Maybe they are part of the Very Old Guard or "VOG" as I like to call them....xlolx

jmuroller
December 20th, 2006, 12:47 PM
ATHLETIC-related financial aid. Non-scholarship programs don't have counters (15.5.5.2).

If every dollar of financial aid conted toward the limit, Yale would have about 100 equivalencies.

That's what I thought. As soon as I posted that I remembered hearing somewhere that the Ivies don't count equivilancies because they don't give away schloarships in the first place.

mcveyrl
December 20th, 2006, 12:49 PM

Not that I'm an affirmative action opponent, but I don't see the scholarship as an entitlement program because it seems like the program (like a lot of financial aid) is need based whereas I think most affirmative action opponents think that affirmative action "entitles" certain classes of people for how they were born (please no comments on this, I'm not trying to start an affirmative action debate here).