PDA

View Full Version : Permanent 12 game schedule

clenz
June 9th, 2016, 11:51 AM
The Southland and OVC are proposing a permanent 12 game schedule for the FCS.

As people are voting and saying they would change their vote based on some details..here's the basics of it

-Games before labor day every year
-Playoffs remain the same
-Don't need to play 12

Thoughts?

JSUSoutherner
June 9th, 2016, 11:53 AM
I hate the OVC. And this idea.

clenz
June 9th, 2016, 11:54 AM
I get hating the OVC but why hate a 12 game schedule?

BisonTru
June 9th, 2016, 11:55 AM
I voted yes. As a fan of football I always vote for more football. However, I'd like to hear how the coaches and players feel about this.

Also, does this mean we bump the playoffs back a week or bump up the start time to the season?

clenz
A couple benefits I see from this

1. With the SLC going to 9 game conference schedule this allows for an FCS game OOC to show where they stand vs the FCS landscape
2. East coast teams can't hide behind "dates don't work" as much as they have in the past with western teams
3. Big Sky can play an extra conference game and still have 3 OOC games. This allows for a "truer" champion/round robin

mvemjsunpx
No. It's already tough enough to fit everything in as it is.

JSUSoutherner
June 9th, 2016, 11:59 AM
I voted yes. As a fan of football I always vote for more football. However, I'd like to hear how the coaches and players feel about this.

Also, does this mean we bump the playoffs back a week or bump up the start time to the season?
Depending on the answer to this question I will switch my vote. At first I read it and assumed the Bye week would be replaced with a game.

I guess it would be wise to get details before I go and make any more dumb assumptions.

Plus, unless the OVC wants to add a team I don't see why they would be peddling this.

clenz
June 9th, 2016, 11:59 AM
Games before labor day every year

bulldog10jw
June 9th, 2016, 12:00 PM
I would be happy with 11

clenz
June 9th, 2016, 12:00 PM
You don't have to play 12...keep that in mind.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 9th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Maybe for those conferences it would work but the PL it would be a no go. Trying to fill out 6 OOC games would be a pain in the ass.....

BisonFan02
June 9th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Maybe for those conferences it would work but the PL it would be a no go. Trying to fill out 6 OOC games would be a pain in the ass.....

Then don't....play 11 games. It doesn't affect your autobid.

clenz
June 9th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Then don't....play 11 games. It doesn't affect your autobid.
This.

Don't vote against it because you don't want to fill another OOC game. You don't have too.

Also, call some MVFC or Big Sky teams...We have dates. We aren't scared to play another game.

BisonFan02
June 9th, 2016, 12:11 PM
This.

Don't vote against it because you don't want to fill another OOC game. You don't have too.

Also, call some MVFC or Big Sky teams...We have dates. We aren't scared to play another game.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l41lVSySRf15JgBkA/giphy.gif

bluehenbillk
June 9th, 2016, 12:20 PM
I'm sorry, but if you vote "NO", or essentially for LESS college football, you need to ask yourself why you even post on this forum. Really.

melloware13
June 9th, 2016, 12:23 PM
I think the CAA would consider a 9 game slate if this happened, so a team only misses 2 per year

clenz
June 9th, 2016, 12:24 PM
I think the CAA would consider a 9 game slate if this happened, so a team only misses 2 per year
I wouldn't be entirely shocked to see the MVFC debate a 9 game conference schedule...

Would create a true round robin again

Thumper 76
June 9th, 2016, 12:25 PM
Absolutely yes as long as the bye weeks stays in, which I would assume it does. It would be great to see some teams with big conferences have more of a chance to get into the mix OOC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
June 9th, 2016, 12:25 PM
Games before labor day every year
So wait, basically all it is is just adding an extra game to the beginning of the season?

That's not too bad. Especially if it's an optional thing.

At first look I was worried about the mid-season bye, but if it stays the same then bring on more home games. :D

clenz
June 9th, 2016, 12:27 PM
So wait, basically all it is is just adding an extra game to the beginning of the season?

That's not too bad. Especially if it's an optional thing.
It'd be the same set up as the seasons we have 12 game schedules now...it would just be every season

No one is forcing teams to play 11 games right now. You could play 10 if you really wanted - Stony Brook did last year.

clenz
June 9th, 2016, 12:30 PM
2014 was a 12 game season Saturday's available for games were

8/30
9/6
9/13
9/20
9/27
10/4
10/11
10/18
10/25
11/1
11/8
11/15
11/22

13 Saturdays for 12 games.

This year it would be

8/27
9/3
9/10
9/17
9/24
10/1
10/8
10/15
10/22
10/29
11/5
11/12
11/19

First round: 11/26
Second Round: 12/3
Quarters: 12/10
Semis: 12/17
Title: 1/7

grizband
June 9th, 2016, 01:13 PM
I think it's a fantastic idea, especially with the unbalanced schedules of the Big Sky.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Mayville Bison
June 9th, 2016, 01:37 PM
More football? Absolutely!

Only question I would have is would this lead to more non-FCS games? By my count (and I very well could have been off), 20 teams scheduled more than 1 FBS game and 34 played more than one non-FCS game.

If this leads to more round robin type leagues or more FCS vs FCS games, this would be a great thing for the FCS. If this leads to 2 FBS games each year (or 1FBS & 1D2) being the norm, I'm not sure this is the best thing for FCS.

clenz
June 9th, 2016, 01:39 PM
More football? Absolutely!

Only question I would have is would this lead to more non-FCS games? By my count (and I very well could have been off), 20 teams scheduled more than 1 FBS game and 34 played more than one non-FCS game.

If this leads to more round robin type leagues or more FCS vs FCS games, this would be a great thing for the FCS. If this leads to 2 FBS games each year (or 1FBS & 1D2) being the norm, I'm not sure this is the best thing for FCS.
There will be a large number of programs whoring themselves out - the MVFC has a couple I can think of right off the bat - MSU, ISUB and likely YSU.

It would potentially mean 7 home games for NDSU.

I'd love to see a limit of 1 non D1 team put on scheduling

Mayville Bison
June 9th, 2016, 01:43 PM
There will be a large number of programs whoring themselves out - the MVFC has a couple I can think of right off the bat - MSU, ISUB and likely YSU.

It would potentially mean 7 home games for NDSU.

I'd love to see a limit of 1 non D1 team put on scheduling

I think it would actually lead to an annual NDSU/UND game as they would still have the ability to get an FBS game and six home games the years it's in Grand Forks.

Go...gate
June 9th, 2016, 02:07 PM
No.

Catatonic
June 9th, 2016, 02:10 PM
A couple benefits I see from this

1. With the SLC going to 9 game conference schedule this allows for an FCS game OOC to show where they stand vs the FCS landscape
2. East coast teams can't hide behind "dates don't work" as much as they have in the past with western teams
3. Big Sky can play an extra conference game and still have 3 OOC games. This allows for a "truer" champion/round robin

I voted yes. See reason 1.

clenz
No.
Reasoning?

Go...gate
I would be happy with 11

AFAIAC, 11 is enough for the regular season.

clenz
June 9th, 2016, 02:12 PM
AFAIAC, 11 is enough for the regular season.
So all teams should be forced to give up a game because "11 is enough" for some teams?

Go...gate
June 9th, 2016, 02:13 PM
Reasoning?

The season is already long enough. This is not the NFL or the FBS.

Professor Chaos
June 9th, 2016, 02:16 PM
I like it a lot. I don't see the big problem with playing the weekend before Labor Day. School is already in session most places that week before Labor Day and as far as a travel weekend it's not nearly as big as Labor Day weekend is.

Beyond that it allows the conferences with (or who want) 9 conference games to not get stuck playing an FBS and a D2 as their only OOC games in a given year. It should promote better inter-conference FCS matchups as well with the extra OOC game it would allow every year.

Bisonator
June 9th, 2016, 02:21 PM
I voted yes but only under 1 condition and that would be the MVFC going to a 9 game schedule to make a legit round robin. It's hard enough to get 3 OOC games scheduled much less 4. I can see this working in favor of some teams that schedule an extra patsy to pad their win column. Might be the difference in a 9-3 vs 8-3 team making it into the PO's.

POD Knows
June 9th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Voted yes, but I would leave this up to the coaches and players. Sixteen games is a lot of football:D

Bisonoline
June 9th, 2016, 02:28 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/l41lVSySRf15JgBkA/giphy.gif

Bazinga-----xthumbsupx

Bisonoline
June 9th, 2016, 02:34 PM
I voted yes but only under 1 condition and that would be the MVFC going to a 9 game schedule to make a legit round robin. It's hard enough to get 3 OOC games scheduled much less 4. I can see this working in favor of some teams that schedule an extra patsy to pad their win column. Might be the difference in a 9-3 vs 8-3 team making it into the PO's.

Ive always felt that you should play everyone in your conference if possible and never understood why they dont.

BEAR
June 9th, 2016, 02:36 PM
I think the SLC is doing it because they can get another payday game in during the season. Many of the conferences around them, like the SEC, are getting big media checks and could use another tune-up game against some of the top SLC teams for example. Plus the way some of these SLC schools get financed from their state government is pitiful. Louisiana schools especially. I think it makes sense for SLC schools not necessarily schools in other conferences.
Plus once the SLC added UIW, HBU, and ACU the conference schedule just got filled with conference opponents and each school had to knock off one payday game. Not many schools played two payday games but this opens up the opportunity for that AND for out of conference games with other FCS schools.

OhioHen
June 9th, 2016, 02:39 PM
No one is forcing teams to play 11 games right now. You could play 10 if you really wanted - Stony Brook did last year.

The Ivies do it every year.

Daytripper
June 9th, 2016, 02:56 PM
I vote yes. For those that don't want more than eleven games, they could schedule a pre-Labor Day game and have an extra bye week later in the season. I don't see any downside to this.

FormerPokeCenter
June 9th, 2016, 02:59 PM
I think the SLC is doing it because they can get another payday game in during the season. Many of the conferences around them, like the SEC, are getting big media checks and could use another tune-up game against some of the top SLC teams for example. Plus the way some of these SLC schools get financed from their state government is pitiful. Louisiana schools especially. I think it makes sense for SLC schools not necessarily schools in other conferences.
Plus once the SLC added UIW, HBU, and ACU the conference schedule just got filled with conference opponents and each school had to knock off one payday game. Not many schools played two payday games but this opens up the opportunity for that AND for out of conference games with other FCS schools.

Primarily this is the ONLY way that the SLC can agree to viable home and home OOC games with quality programs.....with a 9 game conference mandate, it means we all have to pretty much schedule an away MONEY game....and then we get ONE OOC home game....so you have to either bring in a patsy....

With 12 games, it gives us the option of playing a money game AND setting up a quality home and home...plus it lets us bring ina patsy....

clenz
June 9th, 2016, 03:04 PM
Primarily this is the ONLY way that the SLC can agree to viable home and home OOC games with quality programs.....with a 9 game conference mandate, it means we all have to pretty much schedule an away MONEY game....and then we get ONE OOC home game....so you have to either bring in a patsy....

With 12 games, it gives us the option of playing a money game AND setting up a quality home and home...plus it lets us bring ina patsy....

Agree. I'd love to see another series with McNeese or SFA. Those are the two FCS teams UNI has played the most that weren't a conference mate at one point. That can't happen with the current set up

I'd also like to see the MVFC go to a 9 game co fervency schedule with 12 games. Allows for same type of scheduling with a true champion.

Daytripper
June 9th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Agree. I'd love to see another series with McNeese or SFA. Those are the two FCS teams UNI has played the most that weren't a conference mate at one point. That can't happen with the current set up

I'd also like to see the MVFC go to a 9 game co fervency schedule with 12 games. Allows for same type of scheduling with a true champion.

We would like to play UNI...xdrunkyx

Thumper 76
June 9th, 2016, 03:20 PM

Nah, just go a bit further north and come to Brookings. You want to enjoy our lovely northern weather, not hide in a dome xlolx

Daytripper
June 9th, 2016, 03:21 PM
Nah, just go a bit further north and come to Brookings. You want to enjoy our lovely northern weather, not hide in a dome xlolx

I'm in. As long as it is in September..xrolleyesx

F'N Hawks
June 9th, 2016, 03:35 PM
I'm in. As long as it is in September..xrolleyesx

IIRC the "rumor" correctly, you will be heading much further north than Brookings in 2017.

Daytripper
June 9th, 2016, 03:38 PM
IIRC the "rumor" correctly, you will be heading much further north than Brookings in 2017.

Rumor? We already have Richmond coming to Huntsville.... If we went to SDSU, USD, UND or NDSU, that would be sweet.

F'N Hawks
June 9th, 2016, 03:40 PM
Rumor? We already have Richmond coming to Huntsville.... If we went to SDSU, USD, UND or NDSU, that would be sweet.

UND has September 9th open and that's it. Has to be a home game since they only have four.

Do you know if SHSU has that date open?

Daytripper
June 9th, 2016, 03:43 PM
UND has September 9th open and that's it. Has to be a home game since they only have four.

We don't know who we're playing on September 9th until August 9th...:(

lionsrking2
June 9th, 2016, 03:47 PM
No. It's already tough enough to fit everything in as it is.

Easy solution. Don't schedule a 12th game.

F'N Hawks
June 9th, 2016, 03:49 PM
We don't know who we're playing on September 9th until August 9th...:(

:D Will have to dig on this one.

Daytripper
June 9th, 2016, 03:52 PM
:D Will have to dig on this one.

Agree.

clenz
June 9th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Wouldn't hate it.

Twentysix
June 9th, 2016, 04:14 PM
I expect this will be the UND and NDSU play every year rule.

Sader87
June 9th, 2016, 04:17 PM
Too many games imo....particularly with a long playoff system.

My "no" vote doesn't mean: "I don't like FCS football"....just that I prefer the way it's played/scheduled etc already. An occasional 12th game every 3,4 or 5 years? Maybe...but to have one every year would dilute the overall product imo.

clenz
June 9th, 2016, 04:19 PM
Selfishly I'd love the ability to essentially guarantee 6 home games every year be it by conference schedule or OOC schedule. UNI has had 6 home games all but 2 or 3 times over the last decade, but it would be nice to be able to grab another early season home game no matter if it's OOC or MVFC.

UNI typically averages 3 of first 5 conference games on the road, so getting that to essentially every other with home/roard in conference play would be great.

May also allow UNI to drop playing @ NDSU, @ SDSU, and @ Illinois State in the same year. Spread out the home schedule.

Please let the MVFC go to 9 games if this happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Too many games imo....particularly with a long playoff system.

My "no" vote doesn't mean: "I don't like FCS football"....just that I prefer the way it's played/scheduled etc already. An occasional 12th game every 3,4 or 5 years? Maybe...but to have one every year would dilute the overall product imo.
HC isn't a playoff team anyway and we all know how much you hate anything playoff related.

McNeese72
June 9th, 2016, 04:45 PM

This!!!!

Herder
June 9th, 2016, 04:52 PM
I voted yes, contingent on shortening the playoff field to 16 teams.

Does this mean the Ivies will go from 8 to 9 games?

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 9th, 2016, 05:17 PM
BIG YES!!!!!

More football and more than likely a 7th home game for the Bison....xthumbsupx

Catsfan90
June 9th, 2016, 05:34 PM
You don't have to play 12...keep that in mind.

I think this is the kicker for me. I don't want teams to be forced or penalized for not playing 12 games. It is hard enough as it is for many to find 11 to play, none the less forcing 12. I'd be afraid that schools would go for the cof's of the world to fill this gap. Would this count against teams when it comes time to playoff selection?

DFW HOYA
June 9th, 2016, 07:25 PM
I'd be all for it, but the Hoyas still wouldn't get a game with Villanova...

WTFCollegefootballfan
June 9th, 2016, 09:19 PM
YES! YES! YES!xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

WTFCollegefootballfan
June 9th, 2016, 09:20 PM
The season is already long enough. This is not the NFL or the FBS.

More Football the better!

IBleedYellow
June 9th, 2016, 11:21 PM
I voted yes.

But I want the MVFC adding another conference game.

Not that stupid UND/NDSU crap.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

BisonTru
June 9th, 2016, 11:47 PM
A couple positives.

1. If they do this starting a week early, it would be a great way to highlight FCS football. No FBS games, no NFL. It would be one weekend devoted to FCS.

2. It would encourage more FCS matchups. Basically that weekend has to be FCS vs. FCS games because FBS and lower divisions wouldn't be started.

A couple major hurdles.

1. From my understanding the NCAA had to sign off on the FCS kickoff game held the last couple years. They'll have to sign off on this I would expect as well, and this is far much larger of a commitment.

2. Some coaches may not be big fans of this shorting up fall camp. They could move to open up fall camp early, but then again the NCAA would have to sign off on that as well.

Catbooster
June 10th, 2016, 12:17 AM
I think it would make it easier to get 6 home games without bringing in a DII.

Go...gate
June 10th, 2016, 12:22 AM
The Ivies do it every year.

Colgate is doing it (10 games) this year.

MR. CHICKEN
June 10th, 2016, 06:34 AM
.........INNA WORLD...WHERE TEAMS SKED OOC CUPCAKES & UH PAYDAY........12TH GAME MIGHT ENCOURAGE ONE TOUGHER OPPONENT.........LIKE UNI/DELAWARE....H & H........RIGHT CLENZ.........xconfusedx...........BRAWK!

F'N Hawks
June 10th, 2016, 08:42 AM
I voted yes.

But I want the MVFC adding another conference game.

Not that stupid UND/NDSU crap.

I agree. Meh.

OSBF
June 10th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Scheduling is already a nightmare for some programs

Not at all a fan of the paid beatdown, would very much like to see the "buy" or "pay" games go away

Also not at all a fan of playing down, scheduling DII or NAIA programs either

Would like to see a 12 game schedule composed entirely of FCS

The Cats
June 10th, 2016, 10:24 AM
I see no down side to 12 games each year, EXCEPT - it will encourage many teams will play a non-DI opponent to get that 6th home game. That aside, I'm still for 12 games......

IBleedYellow
June 10th, 2016, 10:25 AM
I agree. Meh.

Too many people are trying to force that game(s) with some very rose tinted glasses. If we were in the same conference then it'd be better - but we aren't leaving the Valley, likewise y'all with the Big Sky.

clenz
June 10th, 2016, 10:28 AM
I see no down side to 12 games each year, EXCEPT - it will encourage many teams will play a non-DI opponent to get that 6th home game. That aside, I'm still for 12 games......
I wouldn't be shocked if the teams that did go to 12 games, if this is implimented, were the OVC/SLC with some kind of apparent scheduling agreement with how they co-introduced, and then conferences with more than 8 members to get a true (or truer) round robin champion

OSBF
June 10th, 2016, 10:43 AM
What would be the chances of petitioning the NCAA to allow FCS conferences to have a divisional setup with a championship game?

That could be the 12th game.

clenz
June 10th, 2016, 10:46 AM
What would be the chances of petitioning the NCAA to allow FCS conferences to have a divisional setup with a championship game?

That could be the 12th game.
They do currently allow a set up like that. Ursus laid the guidelines out a while back but yeah, essentially the game has to be the last week of the regular season and a few other things. It was kind of convoluted though.

kdinva
June 10th, 2016, 10:57 AM
I think the conferences that don't/can't play a full round robin should consider the 12th game, and having a 9 game Conf. schedule......then you'll have the guaranteed complaint of: "my team has 4 home/5 away this season"....that's something, if happens, fans will have to accept...

clenz
June 10th, 2016, 11:09 AM
I think the conferences that don't/can't play a full round robin should consider the 12th game, and having a 9 game Conf. schedule......then you'll have the guaranteed complaint of: "my team has 4 home/5 away this season"....that's something, if happens, fans will have to accept...
That complain will happen, but can be offset with OOC scheduling, and it'll even out the year after.

Casey_Orourke
June 11th, 2016, 09:06 PM
I voted yes, mainly because I like college football, but also because that extra game opens the possibility of signing a home/home contract against a quality opponent with a fan base that travels well, gets you exposure outside of your geographic footprint and offers a better yardstick to measure your program against an unfamiliar opponent.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
June 12th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Voted yes because I'm selfish and want more football but I'd be worried about increasing injuries. That's a lot of football wear and tear.

ngineer
June 12th, 2016, 08:07 PM
I vote, "no". Lines need to be drawn. More is not good for the players...who are supposed to be students, first. The physical demands have been growing for years, the time commitment is greater. We are not in the business of football. The purpose is not to entertain the "fans" or the alums. More and more distractions from the core purpose of collegiate athletics, which are to be part of the educational process, as opposed to end unto itself, which it is becoming; and has already become at the FBS factories.

Go...gate
June 12th, 2016, 08:21 PM
I vote, "no". Lines need to be drawn. More is not good for the players...who are supposed to be students, first. The physical demands have been growing for years, the time commitment is greater. We are not in the business of football. The purpose is not to entertain the "fans" or the alums. More and more distractions from the core purpose of collegiate athletics, which are to be part of the educational process, as opposed to end unto itself, which it is becoming; and has already become at the FBS factories.

Agreed. xthumbsupx xnodx

MR. CHICKEN
June 12th, 2016, 08:49 PM
.......MO' PIGGY....IS MUY BUENO........IT'S UH YEAR ROUND EFFORT...TA BE AN AFFLETE....WHAT'S ONE MO' GIDDY-UP........GET RID UH SILLY BYE WEEK.......FIRST/LAST WEEK UH SEASON.......PUT IT SOMEWHERE CLOSE TA MIDDLE....HALF UH CONFERENCE ONE WEEK/HALF DUH NEXT......LET PLAYERS RECHARGE.......AN'.....EXTRA WEEK UH FOOTBALL.....GIVES DUH INJURED......UH CHANCE TA RE-COOP....SOME LOST PLAYIN' TIME........AN'....LIKE AH SAID B/4......3 OOC'S= 2 CUPCAKES AN' UH PAYDAY......X-TRA GAME.....MIGHT ENCOURAGE SOME H/H WHIFF SAY......UD/UNI.....UP SOME ATTENDANCES......AN' WE ALREADY HAVE DUH 12 GAMERS.......EVERAH FEW YEARS ANYWHO........RAWAK!

taper
June 12th, 2016, 10:48 PM
For everyone complaining about 12 games in 13 weeks being too much, have you looked at other sports? These are NDSU's main men's sports, plus UND's hockey. Regular season only.
Football 11 games in 12 weeks
Basketball 30 in 16
Baseball 54 in 14
Wrestling 24 in 16
Hockey 36 in 21

I realize football tends to have more wear and tear than other sports, but it's already by far the shortest schedule.

Panther88
June 13th, 2016, 12:44 AM
I wonder how the SWAC figures into this considering that the 9-game mandate between conference members will cease this fall and starting in 2017, there is a 7-game IC mandate. [proximity of the SLC members w/ SWAC members]

Fall 2017, Sam Houston and Prairie View start a 2-year home-and-home agreement. I'm sure Lamar, McNeese(?), SFA (?), HBU, et al will somehow figure into PVAMU's future 2017 and beyond schedules.

pokefan02
June 13th, 2016, 07:58 AM
McNeese has been playing SWAC teams over the past few seasons

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Catatonic
June 13th, 2016, 08:18 AM
I wonder how the SWAC figures into this considering that the 9-game mandate between conference members will cease this fall and starting in 2017, there is a 7-game IC mandate. [proximity of the SLC members w/ SWAC members]

Fall 2017, Sam Houston and Prairie View start a 2-year home-and-home agreement. I'm sure Lamar, McNeese(?), SFA (?), HBU, et al will somehow figure into PVAMU's future 2017 and beyond schedules.

ACU played at PV a couple of years ago. Rumor was PV did not want to schedule a return game. We have only managed on FCS OOC home game since starting the transition to D1-Northern Arizona. A second Big Sky visit is coming up. Northern Colorado will play in Abilene in early Sept.

Smitty
June 13th, 2016, 11:16 AM
Western has scheduled 2 FBS teams whenever the 12 games a year happens, pretty sure it will continue that way if this was permanent.

UNIFanSince1983
June 13th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Western has scheduled 2 FBS teams whenever the 12 games a year happens, pretty sure it will continue that way if this was permanent.

Exactly. Recently UNI has been doing the same. It could leave some wiggle room with conferences with 9 game schedules, and could also be a boon for teams that need those paydays.

12 game schedule is the way to go.

clenz
June 13th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Exactly. Recently UNI has been doing the same. It could leave some wiggle room with conferences with 9 game schedules, and could also be a boon for teams that need those paydays.

12 game schedule is the way to go.
Recently?

It's happened exactly twice and it's not really a trend.

The first time it happened Wisconsin bought out a Southern Utah game, paid the full buy out, paid for SUU to get another game, paid UNI about 500K and then paid for UNI's travel.

The second time Hawaii paid UNI about 450K, plus paid 100% of travel, hotel, food, transportation, etc... costs for Tuesday through Sunday trip

BisonFan02
June 13th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Looks like a spike of no votes...someone must have rang Ivy Voy.

clenz
June 13th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Looks like a spike of no votes...someone must have rang Ivy Voy.
Current "no" votes

bjtheflamesfan - Liberty
bulldog10jw - Yale
Catsfan90 - New Hampshire
chattownmocs - UT-C
Go Lehigh TU owl - Lehigh
Go...gate - Colgate
JSUSoutherner - Jax State
kdinva- VMI
KPSUL - New Hampshire
LeopardBall10 - Lafayette
LUHawker - Lehigh
mvemjsunpx - Montana
ngineer - Lehigh
nodak43 - UND
NoVABison - NDSU p
Panther88 - PVAM
Sader87 - Holy Cross
UCMoc - UT-C
walliver - Wofford
Winindy - NDSU

Some western teams, but very much an ECB on the no vote.

BisonFan02
June 13th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Current "no" votes

bjtheflamesfan - Liberty
bulldog10jw - Yale
chattownmocs - UT-C
Go...gate - Colgate
kdinva- VMI
KPSUL - New Hampshire
LUHawker - Lehigh
mvemjsunpx - Montana
ngineer - Lehigh
nodak43 - UND
NoVABison - NDSU p
Panther88 - PVAM
Sader87 - Holy Cross
UCMoc - UT-C
walliver - Wofford
Winindy - NDSU

W......T......F....chatty..... xlolx

DFW HOYA
June 13th, 2016, 12:34 PM
How many PL posters voted yes? I may be in a distinct minority.

clenz
June 13th, 2016, 12:46 PM
Average Lat/Lon of the no votes is the Susquehanna River right next to Millersburg, PA....or just north of Harrisbug, PA

That's with a 2 votes from NDSU (Fargo), UND (Grand Forks), Montana (Missoula), PVAMU (Houston, TX), 2 from Chatty, Jax State and Wofford (SC)

If that doesn't tell you something about the type of fan base voting against it nothing will.

UNIFanSince1983
June 13th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Recently?

It's happened exactly twice and it's not really a trend.

The first time it happened Wisconsin bought out a Southern Utah game, paid the full buy out, paid for SUU to get another game, paid UNI about 500K and then paid for UNI's travel.

The second time Hawaii paid UNI about 450K, plus paid 100% of travel, hotel, food, transportation, etc... costs for Tuesday through Sunday trip

I would say 2 times in 4 years seems like recently to me. Also considering from 1985 (when we joined the Gateway) to 2012 it happened 2 times I would say it is more of a trend recently than has been in the past. As you have said they have done it for money. So obviously if money comes up and we have the 12 game season wiggle room I would expect it to happen again.

Panther88
June 13th, 2016, 02:36 PM
It would not work for PVAMU due to a probable 12-game regular slate + 1 SCG + 1 Celebration Bowl. One could make the argument pro- since total fcs playoff games extend others seasons but we do not participate in the fcs playoffs.

BisonFan02
June 13th, 2016, 03:18 PM
It would not work for PVAMU due to a probable 12-game regular slate + 1 SCG + 1 Celebration Bowl. One could make the argument pro- since total fcs playoff games extend others seasons but we do not participate in the fcs playoffs.

Fine then...don't schedule 12 games. It doesn't hurt your playoff eligibility just as a 10 game schedule doesn't for the Ivy. It could just be another money game for you guys anyway.

Panther88
June 13th, 2016, 03:37 PM
That's why I said probable 12-game slate, bison. I thought it would be a given that a non-participating playoff school would schedule a minimal amt of games to reach its objective(s).

BisonFan02
June 13th, 2016, 04:23 PM
That's why I said probable 12-game slate, bison. I thought it would be a given that a non-participating playoff school would schedule a minimal amt of games to reach its objective(s).

Yet you voted no? Don't like the option of having a 12th game if PVA&M wanted?

Winterborn
June 13th, 2016, 05:50 PM
I voted yes for the simple reason it gives me the chance to see some more football and that hopefully it will allow schools to bring different teams in to play then they would be able to get during the normal season. Bonus is that you would not have to play 12 if you could not make it work out.

The Yo Show
June 13th, 2016, 08:33 PM
Every year FCS plays 12 games, I wish it was every year. This was an easy vote for me.

SeattleBobcat
June 13th, 2016, 08:43 PM
As others have said who would like more football!? But the playoffs needs to be trimmed to 16, it's out of control.

Panther88
June 13th, 2016, 10:30 PM
Yet you voted no? Don't like the option of having a 12th game if PVA&M wanted?

If aPVm scheduled 12, I support. But. We have recent past apr issues. I'd hate for that little issue to resurface itself due to an abnormally long fball season.

NDSU1980
June 13th, 2016, 10:42 PM
If you want 12 games every year, make the playoffs. If you want 15 games, make the championship game. I see no reason for a 12th game, these are student athletes who have classes to attend, and besides, the human body can only take so many beatings. My goal is to win Nattys, not one more game in the season. Some of us have bigger priorities.

Go...gate
June 14th, 2016, 12:34 AM
Current "no" votes

bjtheflamesfan - Liberty
bulldog10jw - Yale
chattownmocs - UT-C
Go...gate - Colgate
kdinva- VMI
KPSUL - New Hampshire
LUHawker - Lehigh
mvemjsunpx - Montana
ngineer - Lehigh
nodak43 - UND
NoVABison - NDSU p
Panther88 - PVAM
Sader87 - Holy Cross
UCMoc - UT-C
walliver - Wofford
Winindy - NDSU

How about the yes votes?

MR. CHICKEN
June 14th, 2016, 06:30 AM
If you want 12 games every year, make the playoffs. If you want 15 games, make the championship game. I see no reason for a 12th game, these are student athletes who have classes to attend, and besides, the human body can only take so many beatings. My goal is to win Nattys, not one more game in the season. Some of us have bigger priorities.

....DEY'RE....35 YEAR OLDS.....IN NFL......ME THINKS UH 20-22 YEAR OLD.....CAN HANDLE IT.................RAWAK!

dewey
June 14th, 2016, 07:10 AM
If you want 12 games every year, make the playoffs. If you want 15 games, make the championship game. I see no reason for a 12th game, these are student athletes who have classes to attend, and besides, the human body can only take so many beatings.

I also agree with this. Are there 35 year olds in the NFL absolutely there is but very few.

Dewey

Smitty
June 14th, 2016, 07:18 AM

99% of the players are not going to make the NFL and this adds 1 game of mileage a year. So possibly 5 extra games in a 5 year career, not including the fact that there are a couple 12 game seasons already.

MR. CHICKEN
June 14th, 2016, 08:49 AM
99% of the players are not going to make the NFL and this adds 1 game of mileage a year. So possibly 5 extra games in a 5 year career, not including the fact that there are a couple 12 game seasons already.

....EGG-ZAKLY.......OH.....AN' EVERAH TEAM STRIVES FO' DUH DANCE......WHICH HEAPS...LOTTAH EXTRA GAMES ON TOP UH DISCUSSED 12.......DUH PLAYERS DON'T SEEM TA MIND.......WHAA ARE SOME UH YOUSE...xdontknowx...........RAWAK!

POD Knows
June 14th, 2016, 09:02 AM

I voted yes but do have concerns over the number of games, particularly if you make a deep playoff run. I do like the opportunity it gives to play all of the teams in our conference during the season but I understand you comments and that same thought did give me pause before I voted yes on the question. If this thing flies, you aren't required to schedule 12, it just give you the opportunity. Sixteen games is a lot of football.

UNIFanSince1983
June 14th, 2016, 09:17 AM

Let us not forget the player who is there for 5 years is still only playing 4 extra games.

UNIFanSince1983
June 14th, 2016, 09:25 AM
I voted yes but do have concerns over the number of games, particularly if you make a deep playoff run. I do like the opportunity it gives to play all of the teams in our conference during the season but I understand you comments and that same thought did give me pause before I voted yes on the question. If this thing flies, you aren't required to schedule 12, it just give you the opportunity. Sixteen games is a lot of football.

I mean it could be 17 (unlikely). But either way only 2 teams each year will have to play 16 or 17 games. Mind you that there is a long break before the NC as well.

So like others have said it adds 4 extra games over the course of the career. And this is highly unlikely that a team would be in the NC every single year like NDSU has been recently. I know it is the goal, but it is highly unlikely that a player would have to play 16 or 17 games every year. Although if they have aspirations for the next level they might as well get used to it since they play 4 preseason games, 16 regular season games and possibly 3 or 4 playoff games.

RootinFerDukes
June 14th, 2016, 09:41 AM
1) we play enough games with as many as 15 potential games. Even fbs sees a maximum of 14 games per season.

2) I don't like the idea of .500 teams. It should be a winning season or a losing season. None of this in between crap.

3) my falls are dominated enough by at least 12 weeks of football. I really shouldn't have it occupy even more of my time each year. I know, I post on a message board.

UNIFanSince1983
June 14th, 2016, 09:44 AM
1) we play enough games with as many as 15 potential games. Even fbs sees a maximum of 14 games per season.

2) I don't like the idea of .500 teams. It should be a winning season or a losing season. None of this in between crap.

3) my falls are dominated enough by at least 12 weeks of football. I really shouldn't have it occupy even more of my time each year. I know, I post on a message board.

There is already a possibility of 16 games for FCS. And now with the 4 team playoff FBS maxes out at 15 if you are in a conference championship game as well.

Daytripper
June 14th, 2016, 09:51 AM
I don't think it has been stressed enough to be completely understood by all: The 12th game is OPTIONAL!

TheValleyRaider
June 14th, 2016, 11:09 AM
I lean towards "Yes" seeing as we already have 12 game schedules every couple of years, meaning we've already largely accepted the idea that 12 games in a season plus the playoffs isn't "too many." I suppose there is always a concern over creep, but I think 12 is probably a good upper limit.

I am not entirely convinced that this will be wholly for the better, though. I suspect you're going to see teams seeking more money games with the extra game, either an FBS payday or through another home game. There are perfectly good financial reasons for that, but it may mean you're less likely to get the great OOC matchups that people think of when they hear "extra game."

Also, even though the 12th game is optional (as really any non-conference game is), I wonder about the effect different length schedules will have on playoff selection. I think the committee already has a tough task in comparing teams with minimal data points, now you're talking about adding even more variety in comparing schedules. My suspicion is that the committee will end up favoring teams with the extra game, meaning that only playing 11 will be a significant detriment to your playoff chances. That will force teams to start adding the 12th game anyway, which will probably be done with the financial considerations I mentioned above.

These concerns aren't dealbreakers (I did vote "Yes" after all), but are things I could see playing out that give me some pause.

OhioHen
June 14th, 2016, 11:12 AM
And now with the 4 team playoff FBS maxes out at 15 if you are in a conference championship game as well.

16 if you play at Hawaii and get the extra home game the NCAA allows to make up expenses.

RootinFerDukes
June 14th, 2016, 11:27 AM
I don't think it has been stressed enough to be completely understood by all: The 12th game is OPTIONAL!

Except it won't really end up being optional when most of the field goes to 12. Schools see additionally revenue opportunities, they want to schedule a good home and home and still get six home games each year, etc.
It won't stay optional for most schools.

RootinFerDukes
June 14th, 2016, 11:29 AM
Would there be 13 game seasons when the calendar allows every few years? Now a team in the championship game is playing 17 games.

clenz
June 14th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Would there be 13 game seasons when the calendar allows every few years? Now a team in the championship game is playing 17 games.
Why would there be 13?

RootinFerDukes
June 14th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Why would there be 13?

The years that there are 12 Saturdays between Labor Day and thanksgiving, there are twelve games. If we're just starting a week before Labor Day, wouldn't that make it 13 Saturdays until thanksgiving those years?

clenz
June 14th, 2016, 11:49 AM
The years that there are 12 Saturdays between Labor Day and thanksgiving, there are twelve games. If we're just starting a week before Labor Day, wouldn't that make it 13 Saturdays until thanksgiving those years?
I'm going to go a head and guess that the rule is going to be 12 games in 13 weeks if it passes. The 13 Saturday's leading up to Thanksgiving

Labor day will no longer truly matter.

Gil Dobie
June 14th, 2016, 01:33 PM
Playoff teams get 12+ games each year.

WTFCollegefootballfan
June 14th, 2016, 04:48 PM

Wouldn't you want a 7th home game for NDSU? Also wouldn't you want a 9 game MVFC schedule?

Seawolf97
June 16th, 2016, 07:09 PM
I voted for it. Most teams play just before Labor Day now anyway . An extra game with in conference or an OOC would be great

POD Knows
June 16th, 2016, 07:28 PM
Wouldn't you want a 7th home game for NDSU? Also wouldn't you want a 9 game MVFC schedule?

We play 9 home games every year.:D

Thumper 76
June 16th, 2016, 08:00 PM

Oh get off your high horse Francis. Jesus. I don't hear people bitching for kids classes when schools like NDSU and SDSU have baseball teams that live on the road for twice as many games as there is in a football season. Or the amount of time basketball programs are gone compared to football. Game week they miss waayyyy less than those two sports do. I'll listen if there is a higher percentage of injuries for teams that play 12 games every season. Should be easy enough to check with there being several teams that make the playoffs regularly.

mvemjsunpx
June 16th, 2016, 09:15 PM
I voted for it. Most teams play just before Labor Day now anyway . An extra game with in conference or an OOC would be great

I think you're misinterpreting how it would work. This change would mean the season would start the week of the kickoff game (in what are now 11-game years, anyway).

This is assuming they don't get rid of mandated bye weeks, of course.

Twentysix
June 17th, 2016, 04:21 AM
We play 9 home games every year.:D

And this would make it 10. xcoolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 17th, 2016, 12:33 PM

I would love to have a 7th regular season home game most years.

bluehenbillk
June 17th, 2016, 12:50 PM
How about the yes votes?

I propose that all who have voted "no" commit to serving a self-imposed one month suspension from posting on a football message board. After all, shouldn't you only post for 11 months, not 12:)

Thumper 76
June 17th, 2016, 12:58 PM
I propose that all who have voted "no" commit to serving a self-imposed one month suspension from posting on a football message board. After all, shouldn't you only post for 11 months, not 12:)

That 12th month takes too much time from workers valuable work time. I thought we were supposed to be worker-posters, not poster-workers. We need to set policy that keeps the work in the worker-poster.

NDSU1980
June 19th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Oh get off your high horse Francis. Jesus. I don't hear people bitching for kids classes when schools like NDSU and SDSU have baseball teams that live on the road for twice as many games as there is in a football season. Or the amount of time basketball programs are gone compared to football. Game week they miss waayyyy less than those two sports do. I'll listen if there is a higher percentage of injuries for teams that play 12 games every season. Should be easy enough to check with there being several teams that make the playoffs regularly.

You sound like someone who's mad because their team never makes it past the quarterfinals of playoffs and wants a cupcake for more playing time. Baseball and football are completely different animals, the bodies don't take near the abuse in baseball.

If you want to play more games in a season, make a longer playoff run. I know at least one team that regularly gets 9 homes every year.xnodx

Daytripper
June 19th, 2016, 03:18 PM
As difficult as it is for most FCS programs to make money, I think any opportunity to add a game that can generate revenue is a good thing. For those programs who don't need the money, well, they can still play eleven games.

Thumper 76
June 19th, 2016, 03:45 PM
You sound like someone who's mad because their team never makes it past the quarterfinals of playoffs and wants a cupcake for more playing time. Baseball and football are completely different animals, the bodies don't take near the abuse in baseball.

If you want to play more games in a season, make a longer playoff run. I know at least one team that regularly gets 9 homes every year.xnodx

You sound like someone who will vanish from here as soon as NDSU loses a game or doesn't win the championship.

McNeese75
June 20th, 2016, 08:53 AM
You sound like someone who will vanish from here as soon as NDSU loses a game or doesn't win the championship.

xlolx With 34 posts it appears he is already late to the party.

taper
June 20th, 2016, 07:04 PM

You see his join date? Been here longer than you and stuck it out through the 6-5 and 3-8 seasons. Not everybody needs to comment on every little issue to inflate their post count.

BisonFan02
June 20th, 2016, 08:48 PM
You see his join date? Been here longer than you and stuck it out through the 6-5 and 3-8 seasons. Not everybody needs to comment on every little issue to inflate their post count.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a379/billy2dbob/GIFs/What.gif

Twentysix
June 20th, 2016, 11:21 PM

xconfusedx

NDSU1980
June 21st, 2016, 10:42 PM

I do most of my posting here when times get boring on Bisonville. Not even sure why you would care?

Daytripper
June 22nd, 2016, 07:40 AM
I do most of my posting here when times get boring on Bisonville. Not even sure why you would care?

https://media.giphy.com/media/xT0BKAB7vMb10rfnvG/giphy.gif

BisonFan02
June 22nd, 2016, 08:39 AM

This place is not Bisonville....nor is it eGriz....or panthernation...... xlolx

Thumper 76
June 23rd, 2016, 01:02 AM

Thanks for proving my point for me.

F'N Hawks
June 24th, 2016, 10:05 AM

Just announced. UND at SHSU in 2018. In Grand Forks in 2019.

Yes!

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 24th, 2016, 04:55 PM
This place is not Bisonville....nor is it eGriz....or panthernation...... xlolx

BV is OK once in awhile.

Few asshats on there I would love to throw thru a wall....xnodx

BisonFan02
June 24th, 2016, 05:05 PM
BV is OK once in awhile.

Yeah....I can only pay attention to 2 FCS boards at a time...CS has replaced BV. Most of the Bison fan posters that I socialize with already post here outside of a few anyway.

TheKingpin28
June 25th, 2016, 02:43 PM
BV is OK once in awhile.

If it is not the correct opinion "Bison can and will beat anyone, anywhere, with any roster" then you best not be posting there. I have read some of the posts/comments and even I think they are completely full of it. I have said it before, it is a great place to get caught up on the small minute details that you would not normally find here, but I can only take so much of it. It is just not my cup of tea which is why I stay here. Open discussion where one will not always get a "yes man" answer and be forced to defend their own opinion.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 26th, 2016, 07:58 AM
If it is not the correct opinion "Bison can and will beat anyone, anywhere, with any roster" then you best not be posting there. I have read some of the posts/comments and even I think they are completely full of it. I have said it before, it is a great place to get caught up on the small minute details that you would not normally find here, but I can only take so much of it. It is just not my cup of tea which is why I stay here. Open discussion where one will not always get a "yes man" answer and be forced to defend their own opinion.

It is probably safe to say most team's home boards are probably like BV, filled with homers. I could probably be shuffled into that category a lot of the time. I like the guys that post the recruiting "stuff" and "inside" info. Most of us have no idea what is going on in the recruiting area, so those threads are really interesting to read.

BV is alright but this board is the best one for national FCS talk. For the most part, the Bison posters on here are pretty good and are well informed fans. CS is a tight-knit group of guys. It is good to have more than one board to post on.

dgtw
June 26th, 2016, 09:38 AM
I think a national board like this is going to be better than one that is focused on one team if you aren't a big fan of homerism. I'm sure we all say things on a team board we wouldn't say here since that is among family. But just to keep the peace, you aren't going to be a blatant homer on here.

TheKingpin28
June 26th, 2016, 11:45 AM
It is probably safe to say most team's home boards are probably like BV, filled with homers. I could probably be shuffled into that category a lot of the time. I like the guys that post the recruiting "stuff" and "inside" info. Most of us have no idea what is going on in the recruiting area, so those threads are really interesting to read.

BV is alright but this board is the best one for national FCS talk. For the most part, the Bison posters on here are pretty good and are well informed fans. CS is a tight-knit group of guys. It is good to have more than one board to post on.

Which is why I said I enjoy going there to find small details that would be missed over here or not talked about over here. But there is no way that I could spend most of my time there. That "yes man" mentality can be annoying after awhile.

TheKingpin28
June 26th, 2016, 11:47 AM
I think a national board like this is going to be better than one that is focused on one team if you aren't a big fan of homerism. I'm sure we all say things on a team board we wouldn't say here since that is among family. But just to keep the peace, you aren't going to be a blatant homer on here.

Ask the Decembrists who show up around playoff time and disappear, more specifically, some of the Towson, ISU (some are actually legit posters), and Lakes.

UNIFanSince1983
June 27th, 2016, 08:48 AM

I hardly ever go to PantherNation due to the homerism, and dumb arguments that go on over there. I will go there every once in a while because some people have some nice inside information. But that is very rare for me to even load that site up. I did earlier today for the first time in probably 6 months.

Daytripper
June 27th, 2016, 08:52 AM
I hardly ever go to PantherNation due to the homerism, and dumb arguments that go on over there. I will go there every once in a while because some people have some nice inside information. But that is very rare for me to even load that site up. I did earlier today for the first time in probably 6 months.

Actually, katfans has a pretty good mix of homerism, reality, and negativity. Some of the conversations over there can get pretty sporty, especially when discussing our Athletic Director....

clenz
June 27th, 2016, 09:20 AM
I dropped in for the first time in years to drop my historical MVFC sheets off for sharing.

I think I got 3 replies, meanwhile, there were 300 posts arguing about anything that wasn't UNI related....

Decided to take a few years off again

ST_Lawson
June 28th, 2016, 09:02 AM
LeatherneckNation is somewhat homer-ish, but probably a lot less than it could be. I do go there fairly often...then again, I'm the admin, so...it's kinda my job.

Daytripper
July 27th, 2016, 09:27 AM
Southland commissioner discussing this topic yesterday:

http://southland.org/news/2016/7/26/FB_0726165753.aspx

....We’d like to have more opportunities to play more non-conference FCS programs, as well as expand our chances to possibly play more FBS competition, and a 12th date allows that. The extra game should also allow for more robust FCS vs. FCS competition that can provide a 12th data point to the NCAA Football Committee when determining postseason bracketing and seeding. And how much fun would an early weekend of strong FCS matchups on television be? A final point would be adding greater chances for FCS programs to schedule six home games in a 12-game season...

Anthony215
July 27th, 2016, 10:07 AM
I would be all for a 12th game added on. In most conferences it would probably allow for a true conference championship game where the North/South or East/West champs meet each season on the last week for the conference title and automatic FCS playoff bid. Also helps cause it would give teams a chance to possibly get 2 money games from FBS schools and play a couple FCS teams out of conference.

tierre
July 27th, 2016, 04:14 PM
I am for it as it would give all SWAC schools an extra game to schedule and more money for football program.