June 1st, 2016, 09:50 PM
Lots of love for the Wofford Terriers in the SoCon. xcoffeex

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20160531101752422403404

JSUSoutherner
June 1st, 2016, 09:56 PM
Agree 1000% with SEMO.

bonarae
June 2nd, 2016, 04:06 AM
Brown? Not quite true. Inconsistency has plagued the Bears' recent seasons.

Catatonic
June 2nd, 2016, 04:28 AM
I'd like to agree about Abilene Christian as the dark horse in the SLC. I'm adopting a more cautious wait-and-see approach though. Looking forward to our first home game against Northern Colorado.

Gil Dobie
June 2nd, 2016, 07:27 AM
My surprise for the MVFC is USD because of Bob Nielson, moving over from WIU.

clenz
June 2nd, 2016, 07:29 AM
The talent hasn't gotten better...

The good news for YSU is nearly everyone is back.

The bad news for YSU is nearly everyone is back.

Houndawg
June 2nd, 2016, 08:20 AM
- - - Updated - - -

The talent hasn't gotten better...

The good news for YSU is nearly everyone is back.

The bad news for YSU is nearly everyone is back.

SIU will surprise this year.

BisonFan02
June 2nd, 2016, 08:31 AM
Ha, Delaware is a surprise team.

clenz
June 2nd, 2016, 08:33 AM
Ha, Delaware is a surprise team.
The only thing surprising is how bad they lie about attendance and get away with it.

Gangtackle11
June 2nd, 2016, 08:55 AM
I can see Delaware definitely being a surprise CAA contender.

They have some question marks especially in the passing game, but they have the potential for a powerful ball control run game with a talented group of backs including the return of Wes Hills.

The defense could be dominant with the addition of PSU LB Troy Reeder & eventually his frosh brother who had FBS offers.

It will all come down to whether is just a one dimensional offense once again which will allow teams to stack the box against them.

This year's Villanova-Delaware has the makings of a classic as its Talley's last one & maybe Brock's too if they fail to make the playoffs.

Daytripper
June 2nd, 2016, 09:12 AM
I'd like to agree about Abilene Christian as the dark horse in the SLC. I'm adopting a more cautious wait-and-see approach though. Looking forward to our first home game against Northern Colorado.

I see you guys as a potential surprise team... But my pick, even though they are not eligible for the playoffs, is Incarnate Word. They are building something down there in San Antonio.

Catatonic
June 2nd, 2016, 09:51 AM
I see you guys as a potential surprise team... But my pick, even though they are not eligible for the playoffs, is Incarnate Word. They are building something down there in San Antonio.

On what basis? Their 2016 recruiting class doesn't look special. Their stadium isn't as good as most high schools. They did have a good year in 2016 but they lost a lot o players to graduation and didn't capitalize on their success with a good recruiting year.

Daytripper
June 2nd, 2016, 10:30 AM
On what basis? Their 2016 recruiting class doesn't look special. Their stadium isn't as good as most high schools. They did have a good year in 2016 but they lost a lot o players to graduation and didn't capitalize on their success with a good recruiting year.

I'm just watching the trend line. That line for them has been on a constant upward trajectory.

Thumper 76
June 2nd, 2016, 11:36 AM

It's so fun when someone gives them hope xlolx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFW HOYA
June 2nd, 2016, 11:38 AM
Patriot League: Holy Cross, if the defense comes to play.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 2nd, 2016, 12:49 PM
Patriot League: Holy Cross, if the defense comes to play.

I'll go with Holy Cross over Bucknell. Bucknell while very stout on defense are not the second coming of the 85 Bears. Their offense seems to lack an identity.

Gilmore's teams always seem to lose a game, or three, that they shouldn't. I look at Lehigh's trip to Worcester as perhaps the biggest hurdle enroute to the playoffs.

BisonFan02
June 2nd, 2016, 02:19 PM
It's so fun when someone gives them hope xlolx

Did them beating NDSU last year give you guys a dash of hope? :D

BisonTru
June 2nd, 2016, 02:44 PM

I agree with this. I also think people are sleeping a little on his old team as well.

I kinda have a hard time calling YSU a surprise pick. Every year we say they look like a playoff team and every year they're in the first four out. I'll be a little surprised if they aren't 5-6 whether they're better or worse.

Thumper 76
June 2nd, 2016, 06:46 PM
Did them beating NDSU last year give you guys a dash of hope? :D

No, we have hope every time we make the playoffs, but if you're like the varmints of Vermintown you need hope from anywhere you can get it. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Toby
June 2nd, 2016, 06:58 PM
Lots of love for the Wofford Terriers in the SoCon. xcoffeex

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20160531101752422403404

I'm wondering if this means Mercer is no longer a surprise team. First year with a senior class.

underdawg
June 2nd, 2016, 08:35 PM
- - - Updated - - -

SIU will surprise this year.

A. We will be better on defense with change to 4-3

B. Offense will be just as good

and biggest of all:

C. We don't have to play the Bizonxlolx

UNIFanSince1983
June 3rd, 2016, 02:23 PM
So I am to assume SIU magically gets much better on defense just by a change of scheme?

So last year was all Lennon's fault with the D because they were playing a 3-4? Had nothing to do with the players because if it was a 4-3 they would have been better?

Also Isom is great, but losing Iannotti will be tough. Hopefully Hill gets things turned around as I think it is better when SIU is good, but I just don't see it being this year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 3rd, 2016, 04:02 PM
USD is going to Und.

Go 7-4 you mean?

Doubt it.

It will take Nielson a few years to get USD up to competitiveness....

centennial
June 3rd, 2016, 04:28 PM
Go 7-4 you mean?

Doubt it.

It will take Nielson a few years to get USD up to competitiveness....
I don't see him better than Joe. Things might get better but who goes down? The only bad team is Missouri State. And even they should be above a average FCS team by next year.

Thumper 76
June 3rd, 2016, 04:32 PM
I don't see him better than Joe. Things might get better but who goes down? The only bad team is Missouri State. And even they should be above a average FCS team by next year.

It doesn't help them that they'll be competing with SDSUs shiny new place instead of being able to point out how crappy CAS was.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 3rd, 2016, 05:21 PM

Maybe.

It will take him some time to get his players but USD will never be a FCS "power"....ever. They might have a very good year once in awhile, like they did in '86, but never a consistent powerhouse.

Grizalltheway
June 3rd, 2016, 05:28 PM
No, we have hope every time we make the playoffs, but if you're like the varmints of Vermintown you need hope from anywhere you can get it. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Until you find out you're getting sent to Missoula, amirite? xcoolx

Thumper 76
June 3rd, 2016, 07:11 PM
Until you find out you're getting sent to Missoula, amirite? xcoolx

Until about halfway through the third quarter

underdawg
June 3rd, 2016, 08:25 PM
Dear UNIFanSince 1983: No magic to it. Sometime Scheme does help--watch how it does for Saluki to-be AA MLB Chase Allen (6-3 240) when our new DT's 6-5 270 DeVontre Lee and 6-3 271 lb Shaq Findlater keep blockers off him so he can make more tackles on run defense.

As far as the Offense, Watch for our running backs to be doing more running this year than the QB (although we will still be a read option)--we also have all four of our WR's back and have recruited a three star WR from Florida. Josh Straughan will be top QB in the MVFC, IMO --of course we'll see how it all really works out when we meet UNI--I predict you will get more of a competitive game than you think.

Twentysix
June 4th, 2016, 01:35 AM
Maybe USD will be a frequent beneficiary of the 6 MVFC teams in the playoffs thread. xlolx

NE Leopard
June 4th, 2016, 05:05 AM
I'll go with Holy Cross over Bucknell. Bucknell while very stout on defense are not the second coming of the 85 Bears. Their offense seems to lack an identity.

Gilmore's teams always seem to lose a game, or three, that they shouldn't. I look at Lehigh's trip to Worcester as perhaps the biggest hurdle enroute to the playoffs.

Technically HC doesn't qualify for consideration because they were 6-5 last year. I'm partial to the Pards because they had a horrible 1-10 season and they will be surprising some folks this season.

Awaiting Killa Bee's response also...

caribbeanhen
June 4th, 2016, 08:40 AM
The only thing surprising is how bad they lie about attendance and get away with it.

2007 was almost a decade ago, get over it!

WTFCollegefootballfan
June 4th, 2016, 08:53 AM
I meant USD is going to BEAT Und. I was posting from my phone and it changed my post. xembarrassedx

Thumper 76
June 4th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Technically HC doesn't qualify for consideration because they were 6-5 last year. I'm partial to the Pards because they had a horrible 1-10 season and they will be surprising some folks this season.

Awaiting Killa Bee's response also...

Has he ever posted in a non-PL exclusive thread?

Corn_3024
June 4th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Gardner Webb has to get more out of their offense or they won't win 5 games overall.. Losing Mau and having a non-existent passing game makes it hard to think they are a serious threat to make noise.

I would probably choose Monmouth as the sleeper in the Big South if they can replace what they fill the voids at the OLine spots. Offense should be better than ever with Ambush, Chaney, Welch, etc.

RichH2
June 4th, 2016, 11:53 AM

+1 Bison D will be stout and their O may be better but that doesn't make it good. Finding points will not be easy.
Cross will scoreD always excellently prepared but not deep or fast. Gilmire has improved both. The catch is there O is a one trick pony relying on Pujols. If he goes down they will also be looking for points.

Houndawg
June 6th, 2016, 03:35 PM
So I am to assume SIU magically gets much better on defense just by a change of scheme?

So last year was all Lennon's fault with the D because they were playing a 3-4? Had nothing to do with the players because if it was a 4-3 they would have been better?

Also Isom is great, but losing Iannotti will be tough. Hopefully Hill gets things turned around as I think it is better when SIU is good, but I just don't see it being this year.

No, and I don't think anybody asked you to do that. We'll be better because Nick Hill will recruit better players and athletes than Lennon did and his assistants will coach them better than Lennon's assistants did. Ianotti is a big loss of course and the new kid hasn't played a down yet but he does have a rocket in his throwing arm and he can move.

clenz
June 6th, 2016, 03:40 PM
No, and I don't think anybody asked you to do that. We'll be better because Nick Hill will recruit better players and athletes than Lennon did and his assistants will coach them better than Lennon's assistants did. Ianotti is a big loss of course and the new kid hasn't played a down yet but he does have a rocket in his throwing arm and he can move.
But but but but but

4* transfer after 4* transfer.....whatever happened to any of those kids?

Houndawg
June 6th, 2016, 03:43 PM
But but but but but

4* transfer after 4* transfer.....whatever happened to any of those kids?

Ancient history.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 6th, 2016, 05:01 PM

Might take SIU (Hill) a few years to make that defense respectable.....it has been crappy for a few years. Hill is an offensive guy, is he going to put more emphasis on the defense or just try to outscore the opponent?

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 6th, 2016, 05:03 PM
I meant USD is going to BEAT Und. I was posting from my phone and it changed my post. xembarrassedx

Looks like Bubba is taking a page from NDSU....stout defense and good running game.

USD will have its hands full in GF this year.

underdawg
June 6th, 2016, 09:00 PM
CJ Jennings 5-10, 182 Corner Back transfers from Craig Bohl's Wyoming to SIU this week. Will be eligible for upcoming season

F'N Hawks
June 7th, 2016, 08:57 AM
CJ Jennings 5-10, 182 Corner Back transfers from Craig Bohl's Wyoming to SIU this week. Will be eligible for upcoming season

As near as I can tell, Bohl has no idea what he is doing recruiting-wise out in Wyoming. First, he tried to hone in on all his old territories from NDSU (Chicago, WI, MN, NE) and it completely backfired - his first two classes have been average at best. Now he is trying Colorado, California, Oklahoma, Kansas, which makes more sense. But, he is still trying his old areas, too. Way to big of a footprint, IMO, for a school like Wyoming. Kids from Minneapolis and Chicago are not going to Laramie.

Last winter they offered over 150 kids. 150. I haven't tallied them up but this spring/summer I bet they are up to 50 already.

clenz
June 7th, 2016, 09:28 AM
As near as I can tell, Bohl has no idea what he is doing recruiting-wise out in Wyoming. First, he tried to hone in on all his old territories from NDSU (Chicago, WI, MN, NE) and it completely backfired - his first two classes have been average at best. Now he is trying Colorado, California, Oklahoma, Kansas, which makes more sense. But, he is still trying his old areas, too. Way to big of a footprint, IMO, for a school like Wyoming. Kids from Minneapolis and Chicago are not going to Laramie.

Last winter they offered over 150 kids. 150. I haven't tallied them up but this spring/summer I bet they are up to 50 already.
Wyoming has always offered the midwest hard though. Each year there are usually 10-15 Iowa kids with Wyoming offers. That's been the case for a decade plus.

I think one kid over the last decade has gone out there, and he transferred back to Iowa/Illinois area after 1 year.

Houndawg
June 7th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Might take SIU (Hill) a few years to make that defense respectable.....it has been crappy for a few years. Hill is an offensive guy, is he going to put more emphasis on the defense or just try to outscore the opponent?

I don't think he plans on being one dimensional, but he did hire a DC from the Big Sky.... nyuk nyuk... our defense is better right now than last years and will be middle-of-the-pack stats wise this year.

BisonTru
June 7th, 2016, 02:15 PM
I don't think he plans on being one dimensional, but he did hire a DC from the Big Sky.... nyuk nyuk... our defense is better right now than last years and will be middle-of-the-pack stats wise this year.

Wanna bet?

Go Green
June 7th, 2016, 03:19 PM
Brown? Not quite true. Inconsistency has plagued the Bears' recent seasons.

Only in their OOC schedule.

Within the Ivy, Brown has been consistently mediocre in recent seasons. People have predicted that they would be a middle-of-the-pack team for a while, and that's where they have finished. I'm having a hard time remembering a true surprise involving Brown and another Ivy foe.

I agree that Brown has key people returning. Whether or not that is enough to make them competitive will all depend on whether Harvard, Dartmouth, and Penn's replacements are as good as the guys that graduated.

BisonFan02
June 7th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Wanna bet?

They don't play NDSU...that will help.

Houndawg
June 7th, 2016, 06:16 PM
Wanna bet?

ok

BisonTru
June 7th, 2016, 06:30 PM
ok

The Salukis will be bottom four in the conference in total defense. Would you like a new avatar or do you want to send me a check?

underdawg
June 7th, 2016, 07:21 PM
Wyoming has always offered the midwest hard though. Each year there are usually 10-15 Iowa kids with Wyoming offers. That's been the case for a decade plus.

I think one kid over the last decade has gone out there, and he transferred back to Iowa/Illinois area after 1 year.

As far as Jennings is concerned there are at least two contributing reason's for the transfer from Wyoming to SIU---One of our starting OLBs (Simon) went to Jones High in Orlando--the same team Jennings attended three years ago and knows him well. We now have double digits in Florida recruits on our roster--Hill use to coach in Orlando area.

Son of Eli
June 7th, 2016, 08:42 PM
I'm glad Yale is off your radar.

Within the Ivy, Brown has been consistently mediocre in recent seasons. People have predicted that they would be a middle-of-the-pack team for a while, and that's where they have finished. I'm having a hard time remembering a true surprise involving Brown and another Ivy foe.

I agree that Brown has key people returning. Whether or not that is enough to make them competitive will all depend on whether Harvard, Dartmouth, and Penn's replacements are as good as the guys that graduated.

clenz
June 8th, 2016, 09:07 AM
Wanna bet?
Total defense stats are deceiving and I would be cautious about betting on that stat.

Here's the top 36 "total defenses" from last year...NDSU isn't #1 and UNI isn't top 25... 5-5 Stony Brook had the best defense in the nation last year. Alcorn State was top 10. NCAT was #2

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340/unipanthers10/totald_zpsvffwyeol.jpg

SIU's schedule consists of FAU, SEMO and Murray State OOC, and no NDSU in conference play. It's not unreasonable to expect their "total d" to look better

Then again, they need to knock 100 yards per game off of their average from last year to get into the top 5. Even to get to 7 in the conference they need to improve by about 70 yards

Daytripper
June 8th, 2016, 10:17 AM

Isn't Brown's coach like seventeen years old or something? Never mind...I'm thinking of Maine.

BisonTru
June 8th, 2016, 01:18 PM
SIU's schedule consists of FAU, SEMO and Murray State OOC, and no NDSU in conference play. It's not unreasonable to expect their "total d" to look better

Then again, they need to knock 100 yards per game off of their average from last year to get into the top 5. Even to get to 7 in the conference they need to improve by about 70 yards

I'm not betting on a national scale. He said in conference and I said in conference. SIU will be bottom four in the MVFC in total defense next year. You can take that to the bank.

Houndawg
June 8th, 2016, 06:21 PM
The Salukis will be bottom four in the conference in total defense. Would you like a new avatar or do you want to send me a check?

Avatar, you'll look better in maroon. FBS games excluded of course.

BisonTru
June 8th, 2016, 06:41 PM
Avatar, you'll look better in maroon. FBS games excluded of course.

Let's just do conference only.

clenz
June 8th, 2016, 06:58 PM
Let's just do conference only.

Only need about 112 ypg increase to get there

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160608/2619f93f934948d796ba6b00113da787.jpg

BisonTru
June 8th, 2016, 07:08 PM
Only need about 112 ypg increase to get there

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160608/2619f93f934948d796ba6b00113da787.jpg

It's almost impressive how bad MSU was last year.

clenz
June 8th, 2016, 07:29 PM
And that was with teams throwing reserves in as early as the second quarter sometimes.

At one point last year I did a break down to see how bad they were in a historic context. In terms of yards, points, times given up 50 points, etc... I couldn't find a single team that came close.

JSUSoutherner
June 8th, 2016, 07:35 PM
And that was with teams throwing reserves in as early as the second quarter sometimes.

At one point last year I did a break down to see how bad they were in a historic context. In terms of yards, points, times given up 50 points, etc... I couldn't find a single team that came close.
Austin Peay vs. MSU, who ya got? :D

TheKingpin28
June 8th, 2016, 08:31 PM
Austin Peay vs. MSU, who ya got? :D

Division 2 Football game instead and it's not even close

bulldog10jw
June 9th, 2016, 12:20 PM
Whether or not that is enough to make them competitive will all depend on whether Harvard, Dartmouth, and Penn's replacements are as good as the guys that graduated.

Harvard's replacements almost always are as good. We will see about Dartmouth and Penn.