PDA

View Full Version : CCU 2016 AGS Poll Eligibility

bjtheflamesfan
May 28th, 2016, 11:01 AM
As we are inside of 100 days to Kickoff 2016, I was thinking about something when I read the Athlon Preseason Top 20 discussion

With CCU playing as an FCS Independent in 2016 as part of their transition to FBS, are they going to still be in the AGS poll list of eligible teams or will they be removed much like ODU was when they began the transition?

MarkCCU
May 28th, 2016, 12:58 PM
As we are inside of 100 days to Kickoff 2016, I was thinking about something when I read the Athlon Preseason Top 20 discussion

With CCU playing as an FCS Independent in 2016 as part of their transition to FBS, are they going to still be in the AGS poll list of eligible teams or will they be removed much like ODU was when they began the transition?

I believe we are ineligible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bjtheflamesfan
May 28th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Ursus...can we get a ruling?

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 28th, 2016, 04:19 PM
I believe Georgia Southern and App State were not eligible for 2013, but I would be fine if the policy was changed.

Teams from conferences that don't participate in the playoffs are allowed as well as teams that are ineligible for postseason due to sanctions.

OL FU
May 28th, 2016, 05:15 PM
I believe Georgia Southern and App State were not eligible for 2013, but I would be fine if the policy was changed.

Teams from conferences that don't participate in the playoffs are allowed as well as teams that are ineligible for postseason due to sanctions.

Thats my recollection as well fortunately after the first five games no one would have voted for you any way:p

MarkCCU
May 28th, 2016, 05:22 PM

This ****ing guy...they aren't eligible. Your flames finally have a chance.

Ignore our last two games when you respond.

SENOREIDA
May 28th, 2016, 08:12 PM
I don't see why they can't be ranked.
Charlotte was ranked in the polls during their last year in the FCS.

melloware13
May 28th, 2016, 11:24 PM
I think the rule for FCS -> FBS transitions is if they're ineligible for the Postseason, then they're ineligible (similar to ODU, App St, and GASO). On the other end of the spectrum would be Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word, if they'd be worthy of votes to begin with.

Go...gate
May 29th, 2016, 01:05 AM
Hell, put 'em in the poll. Happy to see as many good programs as possible. It is a measuring stick for the rest of us.

RootinFerDukes
May 29th, 2016, 07:33 AM

Who was ranking Charlotte in their poll? They haven't done a single thing so far in their program's short life to even deserve to "receive votes".
I'm pretty sure they still don't have a single notable win and many bad losses.

MarkCCU
May 29th, 2016, 08:41 AM
Who was ranking Charlotte in their poll? They haven't done a single thing so far in their program's short life to even deserve to "receive votes".
I'm pretty sure they still don't have a single notable win and many bad losses.

This.

bjtheflamesfan
May 29th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Not the point RFD...and no Mark I did not start this discussion so my "precious Liberty" can be ranked. Im going into my I think 6th year as an AGS voter (first since I earned my PP banner)...all I want to know is if CCU will be on the list of teams to vote for when I submit my ballot from week to week. If they are...great. I will make sure to consider them and vote for them. If not...that's fine too. Good luck to them as they transition to FBS

The Cats
May 29th, 2016, 08:20 PM
Why would you want to include a team playing with more than, the standard FCS allotment of scholarships - would be my only question ?

clenz
May 29th, 2016, 08:27 PM
Even if poll eligible I'm going to have a hard time getting them into my poll. Specifically for the reason the cats pointed out.

smallcollegefbfan
May 31st, 2016, 07:45 AM
I'm not going to rank them simply because they are in the middle of moving up and have more than 63 scholarship players. The preseason magazines have been putting them in the FBS Independent section.

OL FU
May 31st, 2016, 07:49 AM
Yes, if the can operate with more than 63 scholarships (Other than money, the main distinguishing factor between FBS and FCS) then they shouldn't be in the poll.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 31st, 2016, 11:21 AM

Not instantly over a holiday weekend you can't. xlolx

The rule for the AGS Poll is really kept pretty bare bones. If the team in question is eligible for EITHER their conference championship or the playoffs they are deemed eligible for the AGS Poll.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 31st, 2016, 11:24 AM

what are you talking about? I don't ever remember Charlotte being ranked anywhere but especially not here.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 31st, 2016, 11:27 AM
I think the rule for FCS -> FBS transitions is if they're ineligible for the Postseason, then they're ineligible (similar to ODU, App St, and GASO). On the other end of the spectrum would be Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word, if they'd be worthy of votes to begin with.

Very close mello. The other part as I mentioned is the conference title. If they are eligible for either they are eligible here. As was mentioned, teams don't lose eligibility over a sanction either. It is left to those things that are of a fairly permanent nature.

RootinFerDukes
May 31st, 2016, 11:40 AM
I agree with others that it's tough to consider them if they have more than 63 scholarships this season.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 31st, 2016, 11:41 AM
and clenz, OL FU, scff, & The Cats make the exact reason clear for everyone as to why this poll and any other poll worth a damn should be taking what the NCAA and their own conferences are taking into consideration.

If you are a boxer, wrestler, or whatever else has specific requirements like a weight limit then you damn well don't rank a Super Middleweight in the middleweights category.

If CCU has more scholarship players, even though they may not be a top 25 team (they certainly would be) this does not mean "Oh heck, they aren't gonna be #1 anyway" or anything else. They didn't make weight, that is that.

It sucks, I wish they were staying, but it is what we have.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 31st, 2016, 11:44 AM
I agree with others that it's tough to consider them if they have more than 63 scholarships this season.

Yep, having 1/2 the people "giving them a break" and 1/2 the people being diligent on what the poll is about really makes things that much messier. It is why I wanted to have a very simple, clear rule from the get go when I took the poll over and this process was actually a voted on thing back when I took the site over. I think it was Texas State that was the impetus for coming up with a "how do we handle this" type rule.