PDA

View Full Version : STATS Must-See FCS Matchups

SU DOG
May 23rd, 2016, 03:13 PM
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20160523102511083796204

BisonFan02
May 23rd, 2016, 03:20 PM
12. South Dakota State at North Dakota State (Oct. 15) - The Jackrabbits have struggled to keep up with NDSU's dynasty, but the offense is strong enough to make the Bison defense work hard.

QUARTERFINALISTS
8. Charleston Southern at North Dakota State (Aug. 27) - Speaking of NDSU, the five-time reigning FCS champion opens the season again in the FCS Kickoff. Like the Bison, the defending Big South champion Buccaneers have a terrific running game.

RUNNER-UP
2. Eastern Washington at North Dakota State (Sept. 10) - This matchup of the two most recent FCS national champions is the first since EWU won in overtime in the 2010 quarterfinals, which is the Bison's last playoff loss. The Bison defense has never faced EWU All-American Cooper Kupp.
---
CHAMPIONSHIP
1. North Dakota State at Northern Iowa (Oct. 29) - Former UNI All-American Deiondre' Hall, now with the Chicago Bears, calls this rivalry "the national championship, no matter what." UNI won the last meeting in Cedar Falls handily, but the Bison won a last-minute thriller in the regular season and a playoff quarterfinal last year.

Nice. :D

Silenoz
May 23rd, 2016, 04:55 PM
Cooper Kupp is but one man. That game should not even be close

dewey
May 23rd, 2016, 05:27 PM
I like this matchup as well. Plus the comment is pretty funny.

9. Montana at Northern Iowa (Sept. 10) - This eye-catching intersectional battle matches perennial powers which had the misfortune of running into North Dakota State on the Road to Frisco in December.

Dewey

UpstateBison
May 24th, 2016, 05:18 AM
This should be a great game and a second round qualifier.

17. James Madison at Richmond (Nov. 5) - The 2015 season started to unravel for JMU when it lost an undefeated record and quarterback Vad Lee while facing the Spiders last October. This year, the Spiders are the team to beat in the CAA.

RootinFerDukes
May 24th, 2016, 06:57 AM
This should be a great game and a second round qualifier.

17. James Madison at Richmond (Nov. 5) - The 2015 season started to unravel for JMU when it lost an undefeated record and quarterback Vad Lee while facing the Spiders last October. This year, the Spiders are the team to beat in the CAA.

Every season, JMU/UR is a great game. I am always happy to put down the ticks or pissed that the sweater vests stole another one. The 55-20 beatdown in their place in 2014 was a thing of beauty. It was pretty much a JMU home game and you could tell their fans weren't too happy about that.

RootinFerDukes
May 24th, 2016, 07:03 AM
I would be disappointed that none of our home games are considered must see, but our home schedule is probably the worst I can ever recall. I don't blame the writer for overlooking it.

Morehead State, Central Connecticut State, Delaware, William & Mary, Rhode Island, Elon.

MR. CHICKEN
May 24th, 2016, 07:15 AM
I would be disappointed that none of our home games are considered must see, but our home schedule is probably the worst I can ever recall. I don't blame the writer for overlooking it.

Morehead State, Central Connecticut State, Delaware, William & Mary, Rhode Island, Elon.

.......PU.....................RAWAK!

Milktruck74
May 24th, 2016, 07:24 AM
3. Chattanooga at The Citadel (Oct. 15) - The Southern Conference race has gotten fun again and the three-time defending champion Mocs have to go on the road against last year's co-champ.

Mocs by 3 touchdowns!!!! or pups by a few. Game could go either way, but it won't be a close one.

JSUSoutherner
May 24th, 2016, 07:40 AM
Oh look, we made #5. Neat.

I look forward to pummeling the Beach Chickens.

It's gonna be a real cock fight. xcoolx

PaladinFan
May 24th, 2016, 08:52 AM
3. Chattanooga at The Citadel (Oct. 15) - The Southern Conference race has gotten fun again and the three-time defending champion Mocs have to go on the road against last year's co-champ.

Mocs by 3 touchdowns!!!! or pups by a few. Game could go either way, but it won't be a close one.

I think we will know a lot more about Citadel early in the season. They have Mercer and Furman right out of the gate.

Not sure I remember a time when a team had two conference games the first two weeks of the season.

slostang
May 24th, 2016, 04:58 PM
I think Montana @ Cal Poly and Eastern Washington @ Cal Poly could also be included in there. Last year Cal Poly kicked a 49 yard field goal as time expired to beat Montana the week after Montana beat North Dakota State. Cal Poly lost to EWU in OT last year in Chenney. Both rematches are in San Luis Obispo. Cal Poly is coming off a down year, but should be reloaded after a rare losing season.

POD Knows
May 24th, 2016, 08:33 PM
I like this matchup as well. Plus the comment is pretty funny.

9. Montana at Northern Iowa (Sept. 10) - This eye-catching intersectional battle matches perennial powers which had the misfortune of running into North Dakota State on the Road to Frisco in December.

Dewey

This will be a beat down by UNI

mvemjsunpx
May 24th, 2016, 10:55 PM
Montana @ NAU (10/22). Good chance both will be undefeated in conference play coming in.

AmsterBison
May 25th, 2016, 07:37 AM

Maybe. Many Bison fans think UNI must be awesome because they are the team that has consistently played NDSU better than anybody else, but the Panthers have weaknesses or they wouldn't keep losing five or more games a year (which they've done 5 out of the last 6 seasons.) Not to mention that they lose Deiondre Hall, Makinton Deloreant, and Tim Kilfoy from the defensive backfield. If UNI's DBs don't step up, Montana will not be the best matchup for them.

UNI has a lot of fantastic athletes, no doubt, but so does Montana. Putting a beat down on Montana would be a huge step for UNI.

IBleedYellow
May 25th, 2016, 09:20 AM
I think NDSU fans and UNI fans need to start understanding something: We are rivals. We play the same brand of football. We beat each other up when we play. We HATE to lose to the other. Most importantly, we both step up for that game, and then the rest of the year it seems that UNI "drops down" a little bit - while NDSU stays close to the same (hello USD, btw).

It's insane how much of a pounding these two teams give each other each time they play.

clenz
May 25th, 2016, 10:44 AM
Maybe. Many Bison fans think UNI must be awesome because they are the team that has consistently played NDSU better than anybody else, but the Panthers have weaknesses or they wouldn't keep losing five or more games a year (which they've done 5 out of the last 6 seasons.) Not to mention that they lose Deiondre Hall, Makinton Deloreant, and Tim Kilfoy from the defensive backfield. If UNI's DBs don't step up, Montana will not be the best matchup for them.

UNI has a lot of fantastic athletes, no doubt, but so does Montana. Putting a beat down on Montana would be a huge step for UNI.
Yeah...about Hall, Kilfoy and Dorleant.

The year before they came onto campus UNI lost 4 starters in the defensive backfield that were all conference/all american types. Those guys replaced 3 or 4 year starters. Who replaced 3 year starters...

That's the thing about UNI's defense. It's literally "next one up" every year.

Remember when NDSU fans though there was no way to replace Ben Boothby and then Mac O'Brien and Xavier Williams showed up? Remember when there was no way the defensive line could be as good without them (plus Chris Jerpson and Collin Albrecht who led the conference in sacks)? Then last year Karter Schult was the best DL in the conference with 81 tackles, 22.5 TFL, 14 sacks, 9 QBH, 3 PBU and 2 FF and 1 FR(oh, and he's back this year). To go along with him Isaac Ales had 69 tackles, 16.5 TFL, 8.5 sacks, 1 QBH, 2 PBU, 3 FF and 3 FR. Then there was also Ronell McNeil with 6.5 sacks, Adam Reth with 4 sacks, forced fumbles, pass break ups, etc... Plus Preston Woods who was dangerously ill all off season last year and missed the first few weeks of the season. In his last 4 games he had 16 tackles...not bad for the 4th DT. Oh, before Ben Boothby were All Conference/All Americans/Conference DPOY like Everette Pediscleaux, James Ruffin, Chuck Kinney, Justin Kirk, Wes Lane, etc...

The same story happens with the LB core - the current LB crop was told there was no way to replace Jake Farley, Sam Tim, Jordan Gacke, Tim Clark. We were told there would be no way to replace LBs like LJ Fort, Jamar Thompson, Josh Mahoney, Jordan Smith and James Conley. Those guys were told they'd never be able to replace guys like Brannon Carter, De'veon Harris, Araf Evans, etc...

Every year UNI hears that the losses on defense are too much. Every year UNI has a top 2 defense in the conference and top 5/10 in the nation.

Laugh at me all you want, the only difference between NDSU and UNI the last 5-6 years has been QB play. You give that UNI defense a QB that could keep them off the field for more than 15-20 minutes a game and you have something very special. While NDSU has rolled with Jensen and Wentz UNI has had Rennie, Carnes, Kollmorgen (RIP his brain with concussions) and Bailey (who I think could/should be real good this year). UNI has had an equal/better defense most years. A better stable of running backs. The offensive line has been more than good enough for a competent QB/play caller to succeed with, and enough WR talent to go with the group of RBs. The complete instability at QB derailed the last 5 years. UNI is averaging 13-14 all conference guys per year. The talent level is never the issue - outside of QB and play caller

Silenoz
May 25th, 2016, 11:59 AM

First time for everything

POD Knows
May 25th, 2016, 07:03 PM
First time for everything

Yep, book it

Thumper 76
May 25th, 2016, 07:49 PM
Yep, book it

You sure. UNI doesn't traditionally start hot, and we saw Montana can come out and play ball in the NDSU game Episode I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clenz
May 25th, 2016, 07:51 PM
You sure. UNI doesn't traditionally start hot, and we saw Montana can come out and play ball in the NDSU game Episode I

You might want to check UNIs OOC record....

Thumper 76
May 25th, 2016, 07:52 PM
You might want to check UNIs OOC record....

Yeah, you're right. Was thinking more of how they are always clawing for the playoffs at the end of the year.

POD Knows
May 25th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Yeah, you're right. Was thinking more of how they are always clawing for the playoffs at the end of the year.

The game is in Iowa, it will be a beating.

clenz
May 25th, 2016, 09:09 PM

Yep. The whole starting every conference season with 2 of he first 3 or 3 of the first 5 on the road really exacerbates the whole let down after the OOC domination.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 25th, 2016, 09:14 PM
Yep. The whole starting every conference season with 2 of he first 3 or 3 of the first 5 on the road really exacerbates the whole let down after the OOC domination.

3/5 are at home to start the conference for UNI this year....or 2/3 on the road to start the conference season. Nice home schedule for UNI this year.

With no significant injuries, UNI is going to be tough to beat this year.

Grizalltheway
May 26th, 2016, 09:04 AM
Yep, book it

Wanna make it interesting?

Silenoz
May 27th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Yep, book it

NDSU fans. UNI's biggest (or maybe just loudest) champions since at least 2011

BisonTru
May 27th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Wanna make it interesting?

What are you thinking? I'll let POD take the action if he wants, but I might if he doesn't.

Grizalltheway
May 27th, 2016, 03:28 PM
What are you thinking? I'll let POD take the action if he wants, but I might if he doesn't.

Avatars. I feel like that has the potential to sting more than a wallet hit. :D

BisonTru
May 27th, 2016, 03:43 PM
Avatars. I feel like that has the potential to sting more than a wallet hit. :D

I'll give it some time to see if POD wants to take it since he was your initial response. What's the time frame to hold the avatar?

BTW- I'm a lot lower on UNI than most MVFC fans.

AmsterBison
May 27th, 2016, 03:47 PM
NDSU fans. UNI's biggest (or maybe just loudest) champions since at least 2011

Hey! Don't put me in that group. UNI has a really good football team and they play NDSU very tough, but they are no NDSU. :)

I learned my lesson back in the D2 days. When a conference team played NDSU tough, I'd automatically think that they must be among the nation's elite (and it wasn't just me, conference teams could jump way up in the polls just by playing NDSU and only losing by a TD.) These same teams would hardly ever do well in the playoffs (hats off to South Dakota for being the exception to that rule.)

My theory is that conference teams have an advantage over non-conference teams when playing NDSU because they should be working on their game plan for NDSU all year round. For example, back in the D2 days, every conference team was trying to come up with a defensive scheme to attack NDSU's offense.

This is also why I hate seeing conference rematches in the playoffs.