PDA

View Full Version : Does TV coverage help the better teams with their recruiting ?

Old Cat Fan
December 19th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Just wondering if the teams that were in the playoffs the last couple of years with all the ESPN and CN8 and other coverage that playoff teams receive, is going to start fueling a cycle of persuading top recruits to lean towards a team that they see playing on national television stage, thus making the strong teams stronger. I know that UNH has several players from California on their roster.

Mr. C
December 19th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Using App State as an example, yes. ASU recruiting coordinator Mark Speir received tons of calls last year because of those games. He said people were always saying a "I saw you on TV" or "How is Richie Williams' leg?" Also, ASU signed like 17 of 18 recruits they had offered, or something like that.

eaglesrthe1
December 19th, 2006, 12:33 PM
I'm sure that it does. Just as it helps the BCS teams.

DFW HOYA
December 19th, 2006, 12:37 PM
TV is probably not a major determinant in Patriot recruiting circles, but of late there is a strong correlation between teams seen regularly on TV (Leh/Laf/Colg) and those that have no TV coverage whatsoever (Georgetown, Fordham).

I've had people to this day tell me Georgetown doesn't play football because they don't see them on TV like basketball does.

FlyYtown
December 19th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Sure does. YSU wouldn't be getting their transfer back from Miami without it.

Lionsrking
December 19th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Just wondering if the teams that were in the playoffs the last couple of years with all the ESPN and CN8 and other coverage that playoff teams receive, is going to start fueling a cycle of persuading top recruits to lean towards a team that they see playing on national television stage, thus making the strong teams stronger. I know that UNH has several players from California on their roster.

It doesn't hurt by any means but I don't think it makes much difference honestly. Most I-AA (FCS) recruiting is done on a regional basis and I can tell you that most kids here in Louisiana have no clue who Appalachian State or Montana is. They want to go to a major I-A (FBS) school first and if that falls through, they want to go somewhere they can play that's close to home and has the degree program they're interested in. I think TV helps when it comes to recruiting against schools in your own region but even then I think it's not as big a factor as academics and being close to home.

jmuroller
December 20th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Sure does. YSU wouldn't be getting their transfer back from Miami without it.

How many years does he have left? If only 1 then I'm sure he can't come..or at least that's what I thought the new rules say.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 20th, 2006, 01:09 PM
It doesn't hurt by any means but I don't think it makes much difference honestly. Most I-AA (FCS) recruiting is done on a regional basis and I can tell you that most kids here in Louisiana have no clue who Appalachian State or Montana is. They want to go to a major I-A (FBS) school first and if that falls through, they want to go somewhere they can play that's close to home and has the degree program they're interested in. I think TV helps when it comes to recruiting against schools in your own region but even then I think it's not as big a factor as academics and being close to home.

I would tend to disagree with part of this statement. I agree that everyone would want to go to a FBS school first, but I think when they get down to FCS, they would want to go somewhere where they could be noticed more. But you make valid and legitamate points.

bluehenbillk
December 20th, 2006, 01:13 PM
It sure doesn't hurt.

mcveyrl
December 20th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Not as much as video games!!

Did you guys know that not only was Kevin Richardson a walk-on, but he played as ASU in a video game and liked them...Go ESPN!!!

Seriously, I think it has to help. Even though I agree that FCS recruiting is mostly regional, TV is really important when you're at a place like JMU where you're competing with a ton of other regional schools (including ASU!).

Lionsrking
December 20th, 2006, 02:24 PM
I would tend to disagree with part of this statement. I agree that everyone would want to go to a FBS school first, but I think when they get down to FCS, they would want to go somewhere where they could be noticed more. But you make valid and legitamate points.

I disagree. I would say the majority of recruits at the FCS level do not place TV exposure at the top of their list when deciding on a school. I'm not saying it isn't a plus to be on TV but my experience tells me that location, degree programs, coaching staff and the chance to play early factors in much, much more.

spelunker64
December 20th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Did you guys know that not only was Kevin Richardson a walk-on, but he played as ASU in a video game and liked them...Go ESPN!!!

I thought it was Edwards?

FlyYtown
December 20th, 2006, 03:04 PM
How many years does he have left? If only 1 then I'm sure he can't come..or at least that's what I thought the new rules say.

O he is coming... and only for 1 year.. You gotta remember he was injured for a season in Miami.

GoGuins
December 20th, 2006, 03:16 PM
O he is coming... and only for 1 year.. You gotta remember he was injured for a season in Miami.

Where's the info, press release, & link of this guy coming? Until I read it from the YSU SID dept., he isn't coming

proasu89
December 21st, 2006, 12:54 PM
I thought it was Edwards?
It was Richardson.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 21st, 2006, 01:01 PM
It was Richardson.

It was Richardson....Edwards was the one that didn't get any BS scholarship offers, then Jerry went down and made him a Mountaineer...and the rest they say is history.