PDA

View Full Version : QB controversy at EKU?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 20th, 2016, 12:06 PM
http://m.columbiatribune.com/sports/tigerextra/mauk-signs-grant-in-aid-agreement-with-fcs-school-eastern/article_51d6b32b-3fc6-56c6-91cc-9d93e16e4744.html

Former Missouri quarterback Maty Mauk is preparing to play his final college football season at the Football Championship Subdivision level.
Mauk has signed an athletic grant-in-aid agreement with Eastern Kentucky, an EKU team spokesman confirmed Friday. Mauk will be eligible to play immediately for the Colonels and has one year of eligibility remaining.

One tiny problem - EKU already has a QB that started for them last year that guided them to the playoffs, Bennie Coney. He'll be a senior.

xpopcornx

EKU Toss Sweep
May 20th, 2016, 07:13 PM
No QB controversy. Just no experienced backup QB. Likely planning to redshirt a couple of young ones and this makes that easier. No controversy that I have heard about.

huskie
May 22nd, 2016, 07:46 AM
Westen Illinois University also has a QB controversy on it's with sophomore QB Sean McGuire and senior Trenton Norvell.

Libertine
May 23rd, 2016, 08:01 AM
There's still three months before the start of season. I have complete confidence in Maty Mauk's ability to eliminate any controversy in that timespan by doing something (else) stupid.

UNIFanSince1983
May 23rd, 2016, 08:29 AM
You know if he is still on the team in Fall he will be the starting QB. I don't think you take a high profile troubled transfer if he isn't going to be the starter.

ST_Lawson
May 23rd, 2016, 08:53 AM
Westen Illinois University also has a QB controversy on it's with sophomore QB Sean McGuire and senior Trenton Norvell.

Less a "controversy" and more that it just looks like McGuire won the job out from under Norvell. McGuire was voted team captain in spring practices and seems to be a better overall QB already (much better at seeing all the receivers rather than locking in on one guy). Norvell is good, but his numbers have benefited from being the starter since he was a freshman. It's McGuire's job to lose at this point.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 23rd, 2016, 11:24 AM
You know if he is still on the team in Fall he will be the starting QB. I don't think you take a high profile troubled transfer if he isn't going to be the starter.

That's just it. EKU HAD a pretty darned good QB already. Hence the "controversy".

EKU Toss Sweep
May 23rd, 2016, 09:36 PM
Yes, a pretty darned good but somewhat inconsistent quarterback without any backup. That coupled with an OLine that looks to be somewhat porous probably had the staff looking for a transfer. I don't see a QB controversy. I see a team that doesn't want to have to run a "wildcat offense" for half of the season.

clenz
May 23rd, 2016, 09:54 PM
Yes, a pretty darned good but somewhat inconsistent quarterback without any backup. That coupled with an OLine that looks to be somewhat porous probably had the staff looking for a transfer. I don't see a QB controversy. I see a team that doesn't want to have to run a "wildcat offense" for half of the season.

Mauk completed 51% of his passes and had more int than TD last year

mvemjsunpx
May 23rd, 2016, 10:10 PM
Mauk completed 51% of his passes and had more int than TD last year

He actually had 6 TDs to 4 INTs, but you're right that his stats were still lousy. Missouri's offense was terrible—they gave up 16 ppg and still went 5-7.

clenz
May 23rd, 2016, 11:01 PM
He actually had 6 TDs to 4 INTs, but you're right that his stats were still lousy. Missouri's offense was terrible—they gave up 16 ppg and still went 5-7.

You think a QB snorting coke, failing drug tests, and getting involved in bar brawls had just a bit to do with that?

Enjoy him EKU. He's your coked out whack job now

JSUSoutherner
May 24th, 2016, 07:42 AM
When one Johnny Manziel just isn't enough...

mvemjsunpx
May 24th, 2016, 02:37 PM
You think a QB snorting coke, failing drug tests, and getting involved in bar brawls had just a bit to do with that?

In part, but the other QB was even worse.

I'd be quite surprised if Mauk beat out Coney, though. Mauk has never shown himself to be good aside from a brief flash as a freshman.

UNIFanSince1983
May 24th, 2016, 03:32 PM
In part, but the other QB was even worse.

I'd be quite surprised if Mauk beat out Coney, though. Mauk has never shown himself to be good aside from a brief flash as a freshman.

Going strictly off stats his sophomore year was pretty decent as well. Not outstanding, but not too shabby either.

mvemjsunpx
May 24th, 2016, 08:44 PM
Going strictly off stats his sophomore year was pretty decent as well. Not outstanding, but not too shabby either.

Decent TD:INT ratio, but low completion % and ypa numbers. He had a below average 120.8 efficiency rating.

EKUSteve
August 1st, 2016, 10:50 AM
With all the issues Mauk had he actually got his degree at Mizzou. Elder recruited both Mauk and Coney (when Elder was at UC). I would hope he did this and let Coney know before it happened. Elder stated at media days that there are 40 new players on the roster for the fall. Should be a wild ride