PDA

View Full Version : Jim Harbaugh Post-Mortem

Lehigh Football Nation
December 19th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Here's the poll. Did he help, or hurt, the PFL?

DFW HOYA
December 19th, 2006, 10:27 AM
The PFL leadership makes it difficult for any lasting legacy.

DetroitFlyer
December 19th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Jim was not around long enough to have any major impact on the PFL long term. I think that is a bad thing, by the way.... I think the PFL will crawl back into its collective shell, and be content to fly below the radar again. Jim was like the sand that irritates the oyster to make a pearl. Without Jim pushing and pushing and pushing and pushing, well you get the idea, the PFL will once again drift off into relative obscurity. If he had stayed, I have no doubt that PFL schools would have continued to improve their schedules and a PFL team would have been invited to the playoffs before the league was 100 years old.... Now, I'm not so sure.

carney2
December 19th, 2006, 11:54 AM
He got them ink. He got them headlines. He got them recognition. Think of all the crapola on this site over the past few months about playoff bids, strenghth of schedule, etc. This cannot be a bad thing for a backwater league that has never done much of anything in CS (formerly I-AA) football.

December 19th, 2006, 12:03 PM
The PFL leadership makes it difficult for any lasting legacy.Wow! Someone has been peeing in your cornflakes every day now huh? This is not the smack board. To say something like that here you should at least say why you wrote that. Do you have a reason?

SDFan
December 19th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Wow! Someone has been peeing in your cornflakes every day now huh? This is not the smack board. To say something like that here you should at least say why you wrote that. Do you have a reason?

I wouldn't say that was smack, it is the truth though. Perhaps with a different AD the PFL would be more appealing and someone would stay a few years longer. It takes a minimum of 4 to make a lasting impact, unless the team was set up before you got there.

DFW HOYA
December 19th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Do you have a reason?

Many PFL posters have contended that because its commissioner is actually employed by the Gateway Conference, that the PFL is less of a priority. That's a plausible assumption in my view.

If the SoCon or A-10 employed officials from the ACC or Big East to run its business, wouldn't there be some comparable concern raised?

TexasTerror
December 19th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Jim Harbaugh put PFL on the map, especially this past year, but they'll go back to where they were prior to that, unless the University of San Diego or other PFL teams can defeat someone other than themselves and sub-Div I schools.

If they start beating Div I playoff eligible teams, we'll have a different story on our hands. The NEC has come further along than the PFL...

dbackjon
December 19th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Many PFL posters have contended that because its commissioner is actually employed by the Gateway Conference, that the PFL is less of a priority. That's a plausible assumption in my view.

If the SoCon or A-10 employed officials from the ACC or Big East to run its business, wouldn't there be some comparable concern raised?

Either pony up the bucks and have the PFL schools HIRE its own commisioner, or STFU about it. Patty V didn't FORCE the PFL to employ her, YOUR SCHOOLS CHOOSE HER. So either hire your own damn commisioner, or quit whining about it. It only makes you look foolish.

JALMOND
December 19th, 2006, 01:04 PM
My :twocents: , the Harbaugh legacy at USD will be shaped by what the Torerros do this year, without him. Similar to what fellow WCC school Gonzaga did in basketball, Harbaugh sowed the seeds of a successful program (much like Monson did at GU). It will be up to his successor to do at USD what Few has accomplished at GU. The Torreros are on the threshold of a great program. It will be up to Harbaugh's replacement to keep the fire going.

Based on this, I will hold off voting until next year. Yes, call it a cop-out.

DetroitFlyer
December 19th, 2006, 01:11 PM
OK, maybe the tag line looks a bit foolish.... Come on now, how many PFL posters on this board have any say in who the commish of the PFL is going to be now or in the future? Maybe some, but not most. That does not mean that we have to be happy with the current situation. I do know for a fact that at least a few PFL posters on this board have spoken with their schools and expressed their opinions concerning the Patty V. setup. If Jim Harbaugh had remained at USD, I think change may have occurred. Now, much to my dismay, I think the status quo will prevail, much like it does in FCS.

lizrdgizrd
December 19th, 2006, 01:14 PM
OK, maybe the tag line looks a bit foolish.... Come on now, how many PFL posters on this board have any say in who the commish of the PFL is going to be now or in the future? Maybe some, but not most. That does not mean that we have to be happy with the current situation. I do know for a fact that at least a few PFL posters on this board have spoken with their schools and expressed their opinions concerning the Patty V. setup. If Jim Harbaugh had remained at USD, I think change may have occurred. Now, much to my dismay, I think the status quo will prevail, much like it does in FCS.
Why should Harbaugh leaving affect the Patty V. decision? Did Harbaugh have some control over the presidents of the schools that he didn't coach at? Is USD's admin going to love Patty V. because Harbaugh's gone?

Pard4Life
December 19th, 2006, 03:49 PM
n/a... his lasting legacy in my mind is a big mouth, complaining for playoff exposure, and running up the score against lesser teams.

downbythebeach
December 19th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Either pony up the bucks and have the PFL schools HIRE its own commisioner, or STFU about it. Patty V didn't FORCE the PFL to employ her, YOUR SCHOOLS CHOOSE HER. So either hire your own damn commisioner, or quit whining about it. It only makes you look foolish.

Yeah really, STFU guys what do you think this is a message board????
I can't believe you would discuss your opinion, who wants to come to a message board to hear discussion.:rolleyes:

Model Citizen
December 19th, 2006, 10:57 PM
About the only initials more unknown than FCS is PFL. No impact for the league, but plenty for the Toreros.

If young Jim makes it at Stanford, he may go on to coach at Michigan some day. They won't forget his San Diego roots.

ereiz03
December 19th, 2006, 11:00 PM
"Yeah really, STFU guys what do you think this is a message board????
I can't believe you would discuss your opinion, who wants to come to a message board to hear discussion."

Haha, definitely agree my man.

Old Cat Fan
December 20th, 2006, 12:04 AM
The man himself checking out his new home. He can't do any worse than Harris.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/OLDCATFAN/harburg.jpg

AZGrizFan
December 20th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Jim was not around long enough to have any major impact on the PFL long term. I think that is a bad thing, by the way.... I think the PFL will crawl back into its collective shell, and be content to fly below the radar again. Jim was like the sand that irritates the oyster to make a pearl. Without Jim pushing and pushing and pushing and pushing, well you get the idea, the PFL will once again drift off into relative obscurity. If he had stayed, I have no doubt that PFL schools would have continued to improve their schedules and a PFL team would have been invited to the playoffs before the league was 100 years old.... Now, I'm not so sure.

Wait. Wait. Did you just admit what I think you did?

No old guard conspiracy? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

henfan
December 20th, 2006, 09:04 AM

Get over it. The A-10 was a football league run by Linda Bruno, who's primary interest (and rightfully so) was protecting the best interests of her 3 member schools and her Olympic sport league over the desires of the other 9 affiliates. Her league's self-interests seldom impacted the FB affiliates to any great degree, however. It certainly didn't prevent the affiliates from putting together competitive schedules, fielding playoff caliber teams, ect. Ditto Patty V.

Patty isn't THE MAN holding back the poor Pioneer League. It's the decisions of school administrators and ADs that have done that. Of course it's always easier to blame someone else for your own lack of initiative.

Here's Harbaugh's legacy with respect to the PFL: is the league any better off now than it was before he arrived? Marginally, maybe. Harbaugh's certainly better off now, however. He succeeded in promoting himself over his school, his league and the subdivision.

December 20th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Yeah really, STFU guys what do you think this is a message board????
I can't believe you would discuss your opinion, who wants to come to a message board to hear discussion.:rolleyes:STFU is wrong but this anti-PViv thing pushed by two members on AGS is ridiculous. No good reason has been given. Just because some one else (in a whole different group) has her as a commissioner doesn't mean she's bad for the PFL. They like her and want her. She does great things for non-schollie football and the FCS in general. When I asked a member what reason they had for badmouthing her the member answered "because those other guys said so." If the other guys have no reason then no reason exists. When the day comes that the PFL produces a serious playoff contender then a conflict of interest may arise but it doesn't now. Harbaugh was a jerk to PViv among others.

Model Citizen
December 20th, 2006, 09:28 AM

It's more than an assumption. On I-AA Waves she said that since she's been Gateway commissioner since the 1980s, the Gateway is her football priority. She said it.

People on this board have noted her remarks about the playoffs and how the PFL won't be viable in the Gridiron Classic. They conclude Viverito isn't good for the PFL. That, IMO, is a plausible assumption.

DetroitFlyer
December 20th, 2006, 09:55 AM
There may be only two members on AGS that say anything about Patty V., but I can assure you that many PFL fans have little use for her and her comments about the PFL.... Ralph, you might as well just come out and say how you feel, "the PFL is OK as long as they stay in their place". Good for "non-scholly" football....:mad: Scholly or not, we all play FCS period, end of story! The PFL is not some magic, unique, level of college football. Our players records and acheivements go in the NCAA record books right alongside Appy State! Our players routinely make FCS All American Teams.... USD was absolutely a serious playoff contender THIS SEASON and even you have to admit that at worst case they were a bubble team. Your disdain for the PFL becomes more and more evident evey time you post on the subject! Pretend as you may to be objective on the PFL, your true colors shine through loud and clear! Patty V. is the commish of the PFL and as such the spokesperson for the member schools. She is absolutely a fair target for criticism and if she does not like it she can always quit! Although I think her agent, some guy named Ralph, might complain!:nod: She has a serious conflict of interest and should resign in my opinion. Unfortunately, I do not think the Presidents and AD's of the PFL agree with me just yet, other than USD maybe, but to say that Patty V. is good for the PFL in the year 2006 is not something many knowledable PFL fans are going to agree with at this point in time.

BillLuc1982
December 20th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Sadly, it takes more than one person. He may have given USD more recognition but not the league as a whole. League management has more of an impact.

CharlestonAppFan
December 20th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Why do we have to keep living the nightmare of San Diego and their playoff chances? Let it go...let it go..

BrevardMountaineer03
December 20th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I think Harbaugh helped get them in brighter light, which will ultimately help the PFL.

lizrdgizrd
December 21st, 2006, 09:07 AM
USD was absolutely a serious playoff contender THIS SEASON and even you have to admit that at worst case they were a bubble team.

Oops, I think you meant to say that at BEST case they were a bubble team. Serious contenders BEAT quality FCS teams. The loss to UC Davis speaks volumes. :nonono2:

proasu89
December 21st, 2006, 01:03 PM
Why do we have to keep living the nightmare of San Diego and their playoff chances? Let it go...let it go..
I'm already making my wish list for next Christmas and at the top of that list is a first round playoff visit from USD. I know that'll be a popular item for next year so I wanted to get my request in early:smiley_wi

DetroitFlyer
December 21st, 2006, 01:17 PM
So, using that brilliant logic, how do you explain Montana State? If I remember correctly, Montana State lost to UCD by 45-0 or so.... USD lost to UCD by 10.... Try again!

lizrdgizrd
December 21st, 2006, 02:57 PM
So, using that brilliant logic, how do you explain Montana State? If I remember correctly, Montana State lost to UCD by 45-0 or so.... USD lost to UCD by 10.... Try again!
Fortunately for Montana State that wasn't their only quality game. You really don't get it do you? : smh : xidiotx

Johnny5
December 22nd, 2006, 03:46 AM
He didn't do much IMO