View Full Version : ICON Head Coach Melvin Spears removed as head coach

MACHIAVELLI
December 18th, 2006, 03:34 PM
It is official.

3rd Coast Tiger
December 18th, 2006, 03:40 PM
:eek:

December 18th, 2006, 03:40 PM
http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061218/UPDATES02/61218009/1006/SPORTS
Grambling terminates Spears after three seasons
By Nick Deriso
[email protected]

(C) COPYRIGHT, 2006 THE NEWS-STAR

GRAMBLING -- Grambling State has terminated football coach Melvin Spears, as first reported by The News-Star.

In a 3 p.m. phone interview, Spears said he was given no reason -- only that it was "an at-will termination." He had no further comment.

Fourteen minutes after the paper's initial report was posted at www.thenewsstar.com, GSU issued an official statement on Spears' firing.

“It is time to change the direction of Grambling’s football program. I appreciate the hard work Coach Spears put in as head football coach,” GSU President Horace Judson says in the release. “This was a difficult decision, but I believe it is in the best interests of the University and the football program.”

Offensive coordinator Sammy White will serve as interim head football coach while Grambling conducts a search to replace Spears. Judson, in the release, said he hopes to have a new coach in place by mid-January. ...

jmuroller
December 18th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Why wait this long? They should have done this immediately after the season. Now there recruiting takes a huge hit! They better get a new HC in their ASAP!

December 18th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Grambling State Fires Head Football Coach
Grambling State University Sports Information, Ryan McGinty

Grambling State University President Dr. Horace A. Judson announced today that Melvin Spears’ tenure as head football coach has ended immediately. ...

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=82798

jstate83
December 18th, 2006, 03:55 PM
From Champs to 3-8 at Gram................................. Not surprising the way Gram Fans have been talking all year.:nod:

Who's on the short list and who's on the wish list Gram.:thumbsup:

Wonder what "Ripsaw" down at Alcorn is thinking now.

Mr. Tiger
December 18th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Great move. :thumbsup: Spears did a really horrible coaching job this year and wasn't a winner unless Bruce Eugene was on the field.

bluedog
December 18th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Article published Dec 18, 2006
Grambling terminates Spears after three seasons
By Nick Deriso
[email protected]
(C) COPYRIGHT, 2006 THE NEWS-STAR

GRAMBLING -- Grambling State has terminated (http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs...TES02/61218009) football coach Melvin Spears, as first reported by The News-Star.
In a 3 p.m. phone interview, Spears said he was given no reason -- only that it was "an at-will termination." He had no further comment.

Fourteen minutes after the paper's initial report was posted at www.thenewsstar.com, GSU issued an official statement on Spears' firing.

“It is time to change the direction of Grambling’s football program. I appreciate the hard work Coach Spears put in as head football coach,” GSU President Horace Judson says in the release. “This was a difficult decision, but I believe it is in the best interests of the University and the football program.”

Offensive coordinator Sammy White will serve as interim head football coach while Grambling conducts a search to replace Spears. Judson, in the release, said he hopes to have a new coach in place by mid-January.

Spears' tenure at Grambling was one marked by dramatic highs and just as incredible lows.

Hired after the early-2004 resignation of former coach Doug Williams, Spears won a Southwestern Athletic Conference title a year later but could manage just three wins last season.

ButlerGSU
December 18th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Theres a team called the Icons????????

December 18th, 2006, 09:40 PM
:lmao:

TexasTerror
December 18th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Reasons to fire Spears:

1) Spears cost Grambling a few too many games this year
2) Grambling couldn't beat Southern
3) Something fishy is going on with that in-house investigation related to drug testing and the handling of it

Well done Grambling! This is a huge hire for your program. Best of luck in this next step for your football program...

TexasTerror
December 18th, 2006, 11:01 PM
SWAC Page Reaction:
http://www.swacpage.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67556

December 18th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Nick Deriso will be on WAVES tomorrow night to hash this out.

MACHIAVELLI
December 19th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Theres a team called the Icons????????

THE ICON.

lizrdgizrd
December 19th, 2006, 01:49 PM
THE ICON.
Why is it called THE ICON? Is it like THE U or THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY?

Sir William
December 19th, 2006, 01:56 PM
It is official.

Does anybody in FCS Nation reallly care?

bandl
December 19th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Does anybody in FCS Nation reallly care?

Yes, Grambling State is part of FCS.

Sir William
December 19th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Yes, Grambling State is part of FCS.

Granted, but for all practical purposes, an irrelevant part.

bandl
December 19th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Granted, but for all practical purposes, an irrelevant part.

Take it to the smackboard, there's plenty of SWAC bashing going on there right now for you join in on. It'll be a good start for you, Noob.

Sir William
December 19th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Take it to the smackboard, there's plenty of SWAC bashing going on there right now for you join in on. It'll be a good start for you, Noob.

No disrespect intended to Grambling football. I just wish the SWAC would rejoin the playoff ranks. Of course, I realize that a SWAC team can make the playoffs, just not the champion...which pretty much means it is unlikely a SWAC team makes the playoffs.

I remember when they were a welcome part of the playoffs. The irrelevance and lack of wisdom lies not with the fine people at Grambling, but with the SWAC office.

Anyway, just adding to the conversation.

jstate83
December 19th, 2006, 03:31 PM

It's ok dude.......................Everytime one of those helment's show up with that F on it, we expect Bullshat. xlolx

Guess they offer a class on "How to be a naging a-hole for no reason" at that place.xlolx

Sir William
December 19th, 2006, 03:43 PM
It's ok dude.......................Everytime one of those helment's show up with that F on it, we expect Bullshat. xlolx

Guess they offer a class on "How to be a naging a-hole for no reason" at that place.xlolx

Jackson State? Oh yeah, I had a cousin who did 5 to 10 there for grand larceny.

Sir William
December 19th, 2006, 03:45 PM

Just kidding, jstate83. Relax.:smiley_wi

jstate83
December 19th, 2006, 03:47 PM

That it...............That's all you got is the same ole same ole.
Equating Black life with PRISON.

This show's you would be easier than a 1 cent hooker at the Superbowl.
It also show what you were "taught" at home.xidiotx

I blame your "god fearing luv everybody" parents.

Wanna keep going.
Hell, we can go to the smack forum and make a thread just for the 2 of us.
I ready if you are.......................Just don't byotch when it's over. :eyebrow:

Sir William
December 19th, 2006, 03:49 PM
That it...............That's all you got is the same ole same ole.
Equate Black with PRISON.
This show's you would be easier than a 1 cent hooker at the Superbowl.
It also show what you were "taught" at home.

I blame your "god fearing luv everybody" parents.

Wanna keep going.
Hell, we can go to the smack forum and make a thread just for the 2 of us.
I ready if you are.......................Just don't byotch when it's over. :eyebrow:

Wow. Some real personal issues on display.xidiotx

jstate83
December 19th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Wow. Some real personal issues on display.xidiotx

Fool come in like the troll he is, make stupid statements, and like the little byotch that cried wolf, he is now trying to take the HIGH ROAD with that personal issue crap.

Come on girl..........................You gotta do better than that Ellie May.:eyebrow:

Sir William
December 19th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Forget it, jstate. Never meant it the way you took it. We're friends in my book.:nod: