PDA

View Full Version : Idaho's Return To Big Sky Shows How Broken FBS Membership Is

Lehigh Football Nation
April 29th, 2016, 12:21 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2016/04/idahos-return-to-big-sky-shows-how.html

You might be surprised how I feel about this.

The Eagle's Cliff
April 29th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Why not exempt football from Title IX? Better still, let's be true to the notion of equality and get rid of gender designations and make all sports Co-ed.

It's sad that Idaho is in its circumstance and then look no further than Vandal fans and alumni who failed to build facilities and a program that makes them attractive to a conference.

The Liberty situation is all about SBC presidents not wanting to be associated with a Christian school. If Liberty were call Muhammed al Islamabad, the B1G would be be falling over themselves to add them.

POD Knows
April 29th, 2016, 12:38 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2016/04/idahos-return-to-big-sky-shows-how.html

That's a good read.

DFW HOYA
April 29th, 2016, 12:56 PM
The Liberty situation is all about SBC presidents not wanting to be associated with a Christian school. If Liberty were call Muhammed al Islamabad, the B1G would be be falling over themselves to add them.

The religious angle is overstated. The big leagues have no problem with ND, BC, TCU, Baylor, BYU, Wake, and Duke. Liberty has burned bridges along the way and this is what has stalled out their aspirations, not because of Jerry Jr.

Libertine
April 29th, 2016, 01:21 PM
If Liberty were call Muhammed al Islamabad, the B1G would be be falling over themselves to add them.

xlolxxlolx xsalutex

On that note, I'm off to see if can Photoshop a kefiyah onto my avatar.

bonarae
April 29th, 2016, 04:49 PM
Hopefully many more FBS schools can follow the Vandals' lead if they fail to sustain in the FBS for several more years. But then, these fanbases don't want the programs moving down... xconfusedx

Idaho's is a prime example of aspiring too much with unfeasible realities. UMass may have fallen into the same trap too.

KPSUL
April 29th, 2016, 05:05 PM
Good article but a bit of an exaggeration on the year around ski and snowboard center. They didn't build a mountain ( a hill really) they built the facility on an existing one. The don't make artificial snow, they have an artificial surface (Snowflex) and a water spraying system that makes it slicker. But it is the most impressive facility of it's kind in North America. It's primary value is in training freestyle skiers and snowboarders, 90% of the terrain is used for that purpose. It's really not geared towards recreational skiing and riding and it's only used by a small percentage of the Liberty Community.

dbackjon
April 29th, 2016, 05:14 PM
Why not exempt football from Title IX? Better still, let's be true to the notion of equality and get rid of gender designations and make all sports Co-ed.

It's sad that Idaho is in its circumstance and then look no further than Vandal fans and alumni who failed to build facilities and a program that makes them attractive to a conference.

1) Why should any sport be exempt. Either have Title IX or not. But then why SHOULDN'T scholarships be roughly equal to those that are attending?

2) Agree - they had 20 years

3) You are a moron

Grizalltheway
April 29th, 2016, 05:14 PM

Wow, you managed to play the Christian victim card in a thread about conference membership. Well done, sir.

Casey_Orourke
April 29th, 2016, 06:09 PM
https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2016/04/29/idaho-president-explains-why-his-university-abandoning-football-arms-race-essay

Idaho President Chuck Staben's justification for moving down. Personally I think this quote is just wishful thinking on their part:

This is a reset for our football program. We believe Big Sky football will be positive for our athletes and position them to succeed on the field -- our head football coach and I expect Idaho to compete for an FCS championship in 2018.

Bisonoline
April 29th, 2016, 06:12 PM

Why dont you just post it here?

DoWe
April 29th, 2016, 06:19 PM
It would not make any difference to those that have him on block. LFN is a simple minded schmuck. He does not represent the best of FCS thinking. He's just another divisive mouth.

Bisonoline
April 29th, 2016, 06:29 PM
It would not make any difference to those that have him on block. LFN is a simple minded schmuck. He does not represent the best of FCS thinking. He's just another divisive mouth.

Or he does that to make you go to HIS website. Schmucky is right.

clenz
April 29th, 2016, 07:33 PM
Or he does that to make you go to HIS website. Schmucky is right.

That's been my issue with him from the start. Feel free to link it but don't expect anyone to generate you revenue because you want them to click on your site to discuss an AGS topic

RootinFerDukes
April 29th, 2016, 07:52 PM
https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2016/04/29/idaho-president-explains-why-his-university-abandoning-football-arms-race-essay

Idaho President Chuck Staben's justification for moving down. Personally I think this quote is just wishful thinking on their part:
He has to say that publicly to try and save SOME face with what few fans/supporters that will remain. He can't be realistic and say, "okay it'll be rough for at least the first five years and we'll be lucky to finish middle of the Big Sky pack most seasons. We may make the playoffs once in our first five years.... maybe."

Lehigh Football Nation
April 29th, 2016, 09:06 PM

Unlike your erudite, thought-provoking opinions on the matter that dozens of people are awaiting.

SENOREIDA
April 29th, 2016, 09:40 PM
He just wants your page views. He gets money for it.

BTW cry me a river with Liberty. It ain't happening.

Go...gate
April 29th, 2016, 11:40 PM
Lay off of LFN. He is a highly knowledgeable sportswriter and a very loyal FCS supporter. He has earned the right to express his point of view.

clenz
April 30th, 2016, 08:04 AM
Lay off of LFN. He is a highly knowledgeable sportswriter and a very loyal FCS supporter. He has earned the right to express his point of view.

Great. Grand. Wonderful

He's been warned multiple times by Ursus for stunts like this that are to "discuss football" but really just trying to drive click revenue to his blog site.

POD Knows
April 30th, 2016, 08:46 AM
Great. Grand. Wonderful

He's been warned multiple times by Ursus for stunts like this that are to "discuss football" but really just trying to drive click revenue to his blog site.

Wow, I didn't realize a guy could use this site for personal financial gain. AGS should get part of the take. BTW, I clicked on his link not knowing that he was promoting himself and his blog, rookie mistake. I will take myself to the woodshed and beat myself accordingly.

DFW HOYA
April 30th, 2016, 08:51 AM

General message board etiquette frowns upon extended opinion articles on a thread. The article is over 1600 words and there would be just as many who would call it clutter as something for further discussion. A link works best--if you want to read it, fine, if not, the conversation continues.

RichH2
April 30th, 2016, 09:25 AM
A bit surprised today by the posts attacking LFN. Agree or disagree with his opinions, we all do. It seems many believe he is guilty of "stunts" rather than expressing his opinion. Why? Well ,because that is what we assume because he must be motivated by money. Guilt by assumption.. Yeah,,that's the ticket, smh.

POD Knows
April 30th, 2016, 09:35 AM
A bit surprised today by the posts attacking LFN. Agree or disagree with his opinions, we all do. It seems many believe he is guilty of "stunts" rather than expressing his opinion. Why? Well ,because that is what we assume because he must be motivated by money. Guilt by assumption.. Yeah,,that's the ticket, smh.

I read the article that he penned and thought it was pretty decent, I didn't know that he was the author, I just thought that he was posting a link to a particular subject. I would have probably read it anyway even if I knew he was the author. I don't know what the proper etiquette is in a situation like that but self promotion on somebody else's site without compensation is pretty touchy.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 30th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Great. Grand. Wonderful

That was specific to the AGS Poll threads really. I got no problem with things like this. If we dont' want to read it we don't have to.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 30th, 2016, 11:13 AM

This stems from some stuff that went on in several AGS Poll threads. We all discuss those things and fight back and forth every week as we do. At some point LFN started doing a write up and placing the links in the thread instead of having the discussion in there as the rest of us were. I don't think it was anything intentional but it was sort of agaist the spirit of what those threads are usually about.

So I just told him I wanted him to have the discussion in there and stop drawing away from those threads and start his own thread if he's like to. That is exactly what he did here and I am under zero assumption that LFN is getting rich off AGS traffic. I'm glad he posts here and brings us content. It's opinion pieces and we all know that.

I appreciate his work and arguing with him when I disagree with him. It is all good.

RichH2
April 30th, 2016, 11:20 AM
This stems from some stuff that went on in several AGS Poll threads. We all discuss those things and fight back and forth every week as we do. At some point LFN started doing a write up and placing the links in the thread instead of having the discussion in there as the rest of us were. I don't think it was anything intentional but it was sort of agaist the spirit of what those threads are usually about.

So I just told him I wanted him to have the discussion in there and stop drawing away from those threads and start his own thread if he's like to. That is exactly what he did here and I am under zero assumption that LFN is getting rich off AGS traffic. I'm glad he posts here and brings us content. It's opinion pieces and we all know that.

I appreciate his work and arguing with him when I disagree with him. It is all good.
Makes sense. Thanks ursus.

clenz
April 30th, 2016, 12:08 PM
To build my perspective on Ursus's posts

I have no belief he's getting rich off of clicks.

I have no issue with him sharing his thoughts. Hell, I generally like what he writes, even if I don't agree with it. His perspective is a good thing to have.

As for etiquette, sure, 1,600 words is a lot to post. Hell, don't post all of it. Supe does it great when he starts his lounge/politics threads. Link the article and post about half of it. Give us the option to see if it's worth clicking the link and reading the rest. Let the reader get a feel for it. Simply throwing a link out and nothing else isn't going to drive discussion. Not everyone is going to read the full article, even if he posted every word of it here. It does, however, give a starting point for the discussion to start the thread and allows it to grow easier.

At this point what he wrote is completely overshadowed by what results from him continuing to do this. There are many posters that will never click a link he posts, simply because it always leads to his blog and is only self promotion. I have no issue with promoting what he writes, he should. He should, though, provide more than just a link.

Hell, I believe this post is going to end up at between three hundred and four hundred words. Look at it in a web browser, I posted it from Tapatalk, and I bet it is a 2 minutes read that is pretty short looking. Adding 600 to 800 words of that article isn't going to take up that much space or scare people from reading. It adds context and actual value to the thread. That's all I continue to try to get at.

IBleedYellow
April 30th, 2016, 02:46 PM
If he'd post half the article in a post here I'd be more inclined to go read them.

Instead, I've never clicked his links to the blog.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Go...gate
April 30th, 2016, 07:12 PM

Well said.