PDA

View Full Version : Will NDSU ever be dethroned from FCS Supremacy?

Mike296
April 26th, 2016, 05:00 PM
The last few years have been a David vs Goliath scenario in the FCS. It seems as if NDSU are the goliath and everyone else is a David. Now I'm not saying they can't be beaten(Montana proved that point last year) but it seems like they are the definitive team in the FCS. The FCS are turning into D3 at this point with the same team winning year after year. At this point I'd put NDSU at "dynasty" status. It would be nice to see some variety in the FCS Playoff picture. NDSU winning every year is going to make watching the FCS "stale" if this continues for much longer.

My point with this thread is literally asking what the Title says. Will they ever be dethroned? State your thoughts below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POD Knows
April 26th, 2016, 05:05 PM
The last few years have been a David vs Goliath scenario in the FCS. It seems as if NDSU are the goliath and everyone else is a David. Now I'm not saying they can't be beaten(Montana proved that point last year) but it seems like they are the definitive team in the FCS. The FCS are turning into D3 at this point with the same team winning year after year. At this point I'd put NDSU at "dynasty" status. It would be nice to see some variety in the FCS Playoff picture. NDSU winning every year is going to make watching the FCS "stale" if this continues for much longer.

My point with this thread is literally asking what the Title says. Will they ever be dethroned? State your thoughts below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeing as how we are going all biblical, the only way the Bison hare dethroned is if something like the Plaques of Egypt hit the Fargo Moorhead area. Could happen but not likely.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
April 26th, 2016, 05:08 PM
NDSU won't be able to dominate the toughest conference forever. UNI and SDSU will both beat us one year. Then we won't get to play home playoff games and the chances of playoff victory will go down. Kinda on the conference to help out because if we get all home games plus frisco home game it's tough to beat us.

Thumper 76
April 26th, 2016, 05:18 PM
NDSU won't be able to dominate the toughest conference forever. UNI and SDSU will both beat us one year. Then we won't get to play home playoff games and the chances of playoff victory will go down. Kinda on the conference to help out because if we get all home games plus frisco home game it's tough to beat us.

It's absolutely on the MVFC to be a big factor in dethroning them by beating them enough to take away that home field advantage. UNI and SDSU are really stepping up lately though. Last year was supposed to be a rebuilding year for the Jacks which usually would have meant a 6-5 record or worse a while ago, and UNI has always been good but seem to be taking their game up a couple of notches as well. Need UNI and SDSU both to knock them off in the same season, which means one of them will have to win in the dome. That would at least NDSU wouldn't have a top four seed. I don't see a non MVFC team coming into the Fargodome and knocking them off unless they have been there a couple times in recent history. Especially if they come from a conference with rather paltry attendance in general. They will get knocked off eventually, every year is a new possibility. This year is somewhat reminding me of 2007 when they were amazing and then got knocked off at the end of the year. Nothing that a Jacks fan likes more than beating NDSU when they are good (as rare as that has been recently)

The Yo Show
April 26th, 2016, 05:23 PM
NDSU I would say has made itself an FCS dynasty at this point. I don't see them dropping out of FCS relevancy for the foreseeable future, barring any coaching change or FBS jump of course. However, like all things in life, there is entropy and the system will change. In plain English, it means that the Bison will not win the FCS championship eventually. It is inevitable they lose the FCS championship in the long run. Just when that will be is hard to say.

Will the Bison lose to an FBS opponent again this year when they play Iowa?

DFW HOYA
April 26th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Ask Youngstown State. Or Georgia Southern. Or Montana.

This too shall pass.

Catsfan90
April 26th, 2016, 06:22 PM
Yes. Boogs our resident soothsayer has already predicted that Dayton will crush/ humiliate them in the Dome. After this thrashing the NCAA will force them into the sun belt.

BisonFan02
April 26th, 2016, 06:31 PM
Yes. Boogs our resident soothsayer has already predicted that Dayton will crush/ humiliate them in the Dome. After this thrashing the NCAA will force them into the sun belt.

I thought the move to the Sunbelt was for teams that can't win the big one anymore? :D

The Yo Show
April 26th, 2016, 06:32 PM
Is that even fair though? Dayton is of course the defacto reigning World Champion in football. Make the punishment fit the crime. Would Ohio state be kicked from FBS for losing to the Browns in an exhibition game? Actually... I see your point.

Catsfan90
April 26th, 2016, 06:33 PM
I thought the move to the Sunbelt was for teams that can't win the big one anymore? :D
Haha! No, it's after the powerhouse known as Dayton makes you their bitch in your home turf. That's where you run off to ;)

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 26th, 2016, 07:13 PM
With all due respect to NDSU - and a tremendous amount is due - yes, they will be dethroned this fall.

Bisonator
April 26th, 2016, 07:42 PM
Someone will knock NDSU off eventually. Could very well be this season. Could have easily been the last 2 seasons. They were on the edge quite a few times during this run. 2012 vs GSU, 2014 vs SDSU, CC, ISUr, last year they could have been knocked out of a seed by YSU, or in the PO's by UNI. Another team just has to step up at the right time.

Twentysix
April 26th, 2016, 07:45 PM
Yes. Stick will win a nc though.

Bisonoline
April 26th, 2016, 07:58 PM
The Natty streak will end just like all streaks. Alabama. LSU and Texas have all in the past 10-15 years have all been juggernauts at some point where people were exclaiming they were the greatest ever etc etc etc. We know what happened to them dont we. NDSU will be no different. But to think losing a natty will take away from NDSUs impact is fool hardy. NDSU has had 3 losing seasons in he last 50 years. I think NDSU will be very competitive in the future.

BisonTru
April 26th, 2016, 07:59 PM
With all due respect to NDSU - and a tremendous amount is due - yes, they will be dethroned this fall.

NDSU looks really good coming into next year, but so do you guys. Like others have said getting us out of the Fargodome would be helpful. However, I don't want to give Lauletta another shot in the Fargodome. Would rather meet you guys in Frisco. Keep you guys in unfamiliar territory.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 26th, 2016, 08:11 PM
All streaks come to an end but good luck to the rest of the FCS in '16. The Bison will be good again.

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 26th, 2016, 08:47 PM
The Natty streak will end just like all streaks. Alabama. LSU and Texas have all in the past 10-15 years have all been juggernauts at some point where people were exclaiming they were the greatest ever etc etc etc. NDSU will be no different. But to think losing a natty will take away from NDSUs impact is fool hardy. NDSU has had 3 losing seasons in he last 50 years. I think NDSU will be very competitive in the future.

Hah. Fair enough. I'll still take Frisco 10 out of 10 times over Fargo.

Over the years, Richmond has made a decent habit of exceeding expectations when they are low and falling short when they are high. I'm hoping that trend is forgotten this year. I like what we've got back and i really like our new coordinators. New wrinkles are good.

MR. CHICKEN
April 26th, 2016, 08:50 PM
...NEVERAH...THOUGHT...DELAWARE.....WOOD EVERAH.....BE LAST IN PASSIN'.....OUTTAH 123 TEAMS......INCLUDIN' DUH TRIPLE-Oers..............OURAH STREAK ENDED.......WHEN KEELER.....STARTED TAKIN' TEXAS X-FERS....xsmhxxembarrassedxxsmhx......AWK!

IBleedYellow
April 26th, 2016, 09:11 PM
I'm of the opinion that NDSU will sixpeat.

Brock won three.
Carson won two.
Easton win one.

Then y'all get a year, and Easton gets one more.

I mainly want this to happen so we can match Georgia Southerns 6 in a 6 year span.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
April 26th, 2016, 09:13 PM
Hah. Fair enough. I'll still take Frisco 10 out of 10 times over Fargo.

Over the years, Richmond has made a decent habit of exceeding expectations when they are low and falling short when they are high. I'm hoping that trend is forgotten this year. I like what we've got back and i really like our new coordinators. New wrinkles are good.

They do have great BBQ and Cajun food down there. xthumbsupx

IBleedYellow
April 26th, 2016, 09:17 PM
They do have great BBQ and Cajun food down there. xthumbsupx
Agreed.

Glad we went there the past five years. Hope to be back this year again, cheering on the Bison. xthumbsupx

Bisonoline
April 26th, 2016, 09:22 PM
Agreed.

Glad we went there the past five years. Hope to be back this year again, cheering on the Bison. xthumbsupx

Im going whether we make it or not.

RootinFerDukes
April 26th, 2016, 09:37 PM
When someone beats them in the playoffs. That's when.

RootinFerDukes
April 26th, 2016, 09:42 PM
Will the Bison lose to an FBS opponent again this year when they play Iowa?

IMO, if Iowa is close to the high end team they were last year and their coach actually has them take their Fcs opponent seriously, then the Hawkeyes should beat ndsu.
However, until they lose to an fbs team, you sort of have to give the bison the benefit of the doubt.

RootinFerDukes
April 26th, 2016, 09:44 PM

I'm pretty sure ccu's 05 win at home against JMU is still their program's marquee win.

SUUTbird
April 26th, 2016, 11:41 PM
I think in general a lot of teams at the FCS level really need to step up when it comes to their football program in general. Way too much of a difference between teams like NDSU and Bryant for example, it's not just on the Missouri Valley but the other conferences as well when it comes to the playoffs. And I do agree take away the home field advantage and there's a much better chance.

UNIFanSince1983
April 27th, 2016, 07:27 AM
IMO, if Iowa is close to the high end team they were last year and their coach actually has them take their Fcs opponent seriously, then the Hawkeyes should beat ndsu.
However, until they lose to an fbs team, you sort of have to give the bison the benefit of the doubt.

I don't know what will actually happen in that game. I do know that Kirk will have his team ready for the Bison and not overlooking them because they are FCS. He knows to respect his FCS opponents. UNI has proven to him how good the FCS is.

IBleedYellow
April 27th, 2016, 08:44 AM
I don't know what will actually happen in that game. I do know that Kirk will have his team ready for the Bison and not overlooking them because they are FCS. He knows to respect his FCS opponents. UNI has proven to him how good the FCS is.

At the same time...look what happened to Iowa when they played Stanford last year.

NDSU is NOT Stanford, I realize, but we play the same brand of football as them.

Daytripper
April 27th, 2016, 09:11 AM
SHSU just might have the horses to take them down in the playoffs (championship game?) this year. Keeler now has his QB, not Fritz's. The O-line is bigger than in the past. If the defense can step up, we have a shot..... I can dream, can't I?

344Johnson
April 27th, 2016, 09:31 AM
At the same time...look what happened to Iowa when they played Stanford last year.

NDSU is NOT Stanford, I realize, but we play the same brand of football as them.

So does Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan State, etc.

Ivytalk
April 27th, 2016, 09:31 AM

This too shall pass.

Agreed. And NDSU runs a classy program, without any thuggery. Hard to get mad at success on the field.

McNeese75
April 27th, 2016, 09:36 AM
SHSU just might have the horses to take them down in the playoffs (championship game?) this year. Keeler now has his QB, not Fritz's. The O-line is bigger than in the past. If the defense can step up, we have a shot..... I can dream, can't I?

Yep, you can dream. Someone will surprise them one day but I think it is safe to say the Bison have the Kats number (as well as pretty much all of the other teams in the league). But in the meantime, they have built one hell of a system in Fargo.

BucBisonAtLarge
April 27th, 2016, 11:02 AM

This too shall pass.
+1

Herder
April 27th, 2016, 11:11 AM

Oh, I guess FBS teams just need to take the games seriously. All Iowa needs to do is flip on the 'serious' switch, and they win. When? 1st Qtr, halftime, 2 minutes to go? Just as long as they are serious for long enough, they win.

344Johnson
April 27th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Oh, I guess FBS teams just need to take the games seriously. All Iowa needs to do is flip on the 'serious' switch, and they win. When? 1st Qtr, halftime, 2 minutes to go? Just as long as they are serious for long enough, they win.

The good ones...yeah.

RootinFerDukes
April 27th, 2016, 12:07 PM

You must not have watched us beat #13 Virginia Tech in 2010. They weren't playing with much effort until the 3rd or 4th quarter when they realized, **** this team is leading us. They let an Fcs school out hustle them defensively.
It was later revealed that some tech players admitted they were high at the beginning of the game.
So yeah, sometimes the team simply wasn't ready to play, assuming the Fcs team will be a pushover.

The Eagle's Cliff
April 27th, 2016, 12:09 PM
NDSUs run is remarkable. I don't see any other program in FCS being in their league. It got me thinking about the first 3 of our 6 and looking at the programs that reclassified who were playoff regulars:
Boise St, Marshall, Nevada, Middle Tenn, UConn all transitioned in the 90s then Western Kentucky, UMass, Central Florida, Troy and of course Old Dominion, App and GA Southern in recent years and Coastal on the way out. Those are a lot of quality teams missing from the playoffs. I can't figure what happened to Delaware unless it has more to do with JMU and ODU out recruiting them.

In truth, and we all know it, A lot of the G5 and the top of FCS belong together. Unfortunately, there's no media interest/revenue which is why others had to leave. The Bison and Griz don't really gain anything in a G5 conference so good luck to Dayton and Lehigh trying to compete.

Daytripper
April 27th, 2016, 12:50 PM
NDSUs run is remarkable. I don't see any other program in FCS being in their league. It got me thinking about the first 3 of our 6 and looking at the programs that reclassified who were playoff regulars:
Boise St, Marshall, Nevada, Middle Tenn, UConn all transitioned in the 90s then Western Kentucky, UMass, Central Florida, Troy and of course Old Dominion, App and GA Southern in recent years and Coastal on the way out. Those are a lot of quality teams missing from the playoffs. I can't figure what happened to Delaware unless it has more to do with JMU and ODU out recruiting them.

In truth, and we all know it, A lot of the G5 and the top of FCS belong together. Unfortunately, there's no media interest/revenue which is why others had to leave. The Bison and Griz don't really gain anything in a G5 conference so good luck to Dayton and Lehigh trying to compete.

Mr. Chicken will answer this question forthwith.

BisonFan02
April 27th, 2016, 12:55 PM

The FCS loses some...and gains schools like NDSU, SDSU, etc...I hear what you are saying though.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 27th, 2016, 04:07 PM
So does Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan State, etc.

xlolx

Gophers are not a power team.

I wish they would schedule NDSU annually because NDSU would beat them most years.

Grizalltheway
April 27th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Hopefully our beat-down in Fargo was a wake up call in terms of what we need to do to truly get on the same level as the Bison. Our most recent recruiting class makes me optimistic that it was.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
April 27th, 2016, 06:15 PM
If you improve on the Offensive line the game is entirely different. NDSU went 5 in the box and beat your run game with D-line stunts and 1 linebacker running free. If you can run the ball you had a shot. Which was represented better in the first game.

BisonTru
April 27th, 2016, 06:55 PM
Hopefully our beat-down in Fargo was a wake up call in terms of what we need to do to truly get on the same level as the Bison. Our most recent recruiting class makes me optimistic that it was.

I think one of your coaches got a wake up call in the Fargodome.:)

Grizalltheway
April 27th, 2016, 07:48 PM
I think one of your coaches got a wake up call in the Fargodome.:)

Gregorcat? Sounds like he was on his way out regardless of the outcome of that one.

Bisonator
April 27th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Gregorcat? Sounds like he was on his way out regardless of the outcome of that one.

Doubt he was referencing your DC.

BisonTru
April 27th, 2016, 09:27 PM
Doubt he was referencing your DC.

Nope, he's on the right track.

I think after trying to defend a power running team for 40 minutes that call from Bozeman was well welcomed by Ty.

Griz fans seem pumped he's gone, but I think he was happy to get out of there as well. Everyone wins, I guess. xthumbsupx

frozennorth
April 27th, 2016, 09:31 PM
I don't think it ends this year. There are a few areas of concern: corner, left tackle, and punter. I'm not concerned about left tackle personally. Plenty of good talent to fill in. Whoever it is might not be Joe Haeg on day 1 but I expect the next great left tackle is on the roster somewhere.

Corner play is going to drop off at least to start the season, but you can pencil in 1 solid starter in Allison. What are the odds that there isn't another capable player on the roster? Worst case scenario Dempsey gets moved to corner and then its next man up at Safety U. I'd be legitimately shocked if it came to that. Meanwhile the front 7 is dominant and deep, and could have 4 players in the mix for All-American and two of the favorites for the Buchanan. Even if there is no Marcus or CJ caliber corner, the defense will be exceptional.

I saw 3 monster punts out of Ian at the spring game, and a whole lot of nervousness. If he can get the nerves down, he'll be serviceable. The SMU transfer looks good.

Unless something external intervenes, I think at least one of these next three team will be as good or better than 2013. 2016 looks very good and very deep basically everywhere on the field. I'm not ready to call 15-0 yet, but its not crazy.

Bisonator
April 27th, 2016, 09:49 PM
Nope, he's on the right track.

I think after trying to defend a power running team for 40 minutes that call from Bozeman was well welcomed by Ty.

Griz fans seem pumped he's gone, but I think he was happy to get out of there as well. Everyone wins, I guess. xthumbsupx

Oh I got ya now and agree.

tigonian02
April 28th, 2016, 10:57 PM

This too shall pass.

This...all good things eventually come to an end.

Go...gate
April 28th, 2016, 11:02 PM

Yes.

UNIFanSince1983
April 29th, 2016, 08:22 AM
No NDSU will never lose another game in FCS ever again.

AmsterBison
April 29th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Sure, NDSU will be dethroned. NDSU has had two other periods of dominance: 1964-1970 (4 L's, 3 NCs) and 1981-1990 (111 wins, 5 NCs, 2 runner-ups.)

After those periods, NDSU's win pct dropped to .665 and .690 respectively, which sounds good, but was unacceptable to Bison fans and a source of mockery for rivals. That 13 years between the 1990 championship and the start of the move to the FCS certainly seemed like an eternity.

POD Knows
April 29th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Sure, NDSU will be dethroned. NDSU has had two other periods of dominance: 1964-1970 (4 L's, 3 NCs) and 1981-1990 (111 wins, 5 NCs, 2 runner-ups.)

After those periods, NDSU's win pct dropped to .665 and .690 respectively, which sounds good, but was not definitely not acceptable to the fans. The 13 years between the 1990 championship and the start of the move to the FCS seemed like an eternity.

The 2017-18 season is going to be tough, I don't know what everybody else loses but we take a hit that year.

Silenoz
April 29th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Yeah, Montana will do it

Oh wait, we can't even consistently beat Cal Poly, Weber State, or Northern Arizona anymore

frozennorth
April 29th, 2016, 03:33 PM
No NDSU will never lose another game in FCS ever again.
This is actually an interesting question. What happens first, NDSU losing an FCS game, or NDSU leaving FCS? I think the latter.

Grizalltheway
April 29th, 2016, 03:47 PM
Yeah, Montana will do it

Oh wait, we can't even consistently beat Cal Poly, Weber State, or Northern Arizona anymore

Give it some time, Debbie.

Twentysix
April 29th, 2016, 04:34 PM
This is actually an interesting question. What happens first, NDSU losing an FCS game, or NDSU leaving FCS? I think the latter.

Losing an FCS game? It's pretty likely NDSU will lose an FCS game next year, and could still win another title.

clenz
April 29th, 2016, 04:40 PM
You're losing to UNI this year. Silly statement.

Bisonoline
April 29th, 2016, 06:26 PM

We will lose a game way before we go FBS.

gregatim
April 29th, 2016, 10:44 PM

So we all agree NDSU winning the championship every year is a good thing :D

Go...gate
April 29th, 2016, 11:49 PM
One of the best things about FCS is that the champion truly earns the title. NDSU has had great talent, work ethic and discipline. Not going to be easy to unseat them from the top.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
April 30th, 2016, 01:43 AM

Likely. Nobody walks into the Unidome. Toughest shed with a garage door I've ever seen.

BisonFan02
April 30th, 2016, 12:54 PM

Are you guys going to rush the field again if it happens?

IBleedYellow
April 30th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Are you guys going to rush the field again if it happens?
Nahhh.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 30th, 2016, 06:20 PM
I'd give the edge right now to UNI in the NDSU game but a lot can change until then.

NDSU wins #6.

KPSUL
April 30th, 2016, 06:43 PM
I'm pretty sure ccu's 05 win at home against JMU is still their program's marquee win.

I'd take Coastal's 2013 playoff win at Montana in -30 temps.

Texas
May 1st, 2016, 08:26 AM
Hard to tell with how watered down the FCS has become.

AmsterBison
May 2nd, 2016, 04:25 PM
A fall may come when the strength of The Herd fails, when our defense forsakes gap soundness and our offense abandons power. But not this fall. A fall of thunder and broken streaks when the Age of the Bison comes crashing down. But it is not this fall! This fall we fight! By all that we hold dear on this good Earth, we will stand! Men of the North!

JSUSoutherner
May 2nd, 2016, 05:58 PM
A fall may come when the strength of The Herd fails, when our defense forsakes gap soundness and our offense abandons power. But not this fall. A fall of thunder and broken streaks when the Age of the Bison comes crashing down. But it is not this fall! This fall we fight! By all that we hold dear on this good Earth, we will stand! Men of the North!
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22393&stc=1

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
May 2nd, 2016, 07:04 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22393&stc=1

https://cdn.meme.am/instances2/500x/5619330.jpg

POD Knows
May 2nd, 2016, 07:09 PM

I wept and got a chubby while reading this

Bison56
May 3rd, 2016, 11:19 AM

That was beautiful.xbowx