PDA

View Full Version : 2016 NDSU Spring game and camp post-mortem

BisonFan02
April 23rd, 2016, 10:32 PM
I thought I would throw a few comments by position for the Bison this spring and headed into the fall. Feel free to add. This won't focus on incoming freshmen outside of a few key notes. I would imagine there will be a few surprises with guys arriving in the fall (Engel at WR).

QB:

Key loss: Wentz

Stick was....well...Stick. The Bison are blessed to have him for another 3 years. One thing to watch will be arm development and to see if the playbook continues to expand. He did look improved during the game, but he will still have huge shoes to fill in the passing game. The backups (Davis and Hendricks) each looked serviceable...Davis probably the most improved. Stick will need to stay healthy and upright.

RB:

Key loss: NONE....(Darius Anderson in spot duty)

There won't be enough carries to spread around....Frazier, Bruce Anderson, Dunn, Morlock, and now add Purifoy. Watch Morlock to maybe finish making a position change to FB/Slot. No concerns here......

FB:

Key loss: Cyr, Bonnet

Who is going to be the "battering ram" at the FB position? Guys like Cyr and Grothmann previously are unsung players. Morlock and a few of the existing TEs are vying for the "Bonnet" role.

WR:

Key loss: Vraa

Urzendowski and Shepherd are key returners. Need to find WR #3 to stretch the field. A guy like Hawkins could...Dimitri Williams is a threat in the slot. Watch for a true freshmen to see the field here.....Engel out of Chaska, MN looks to be the replacement for Vraa at 6'5" 200+ before getting the "Kramer" treatment.

TE:

Key loss: Albers and "Bonnet" (listed again as hybrid)

Deep position right now at NDSU. RFr Ellefson is going to be a force....Illies is interesting as more of a receiving TE....Conner Wentz and Nate Jenson as well.

OL:

Key loss: Haeg and Kelly

Fairly deep on the depth chart, but I personally have concerns at LT. Cornick to Turner to Haeg.....The Bison have had NFL talent at this spot....more later. See also concerns about Stick staying healthy.

Defense....

DE:

Key loss: NONE......

Good lord.....Menard is a beast (and only going to be a junior). He absolutely abused whoever was in front of him (see the LT comment). Paired up with Ambrosius and backed up by Jones/Butler and the Tuszka brothers....1000% set.

DT:

Key loss: Schaetz

See DE...Tanguay, Steidl, Morgan, Williams....etc. etc. There will be a theme here

LB:

Yup...all back. Deluca, Gee-Tucker, Stumpf as starters and guys like Plank, Jordheim, and Marlette fighting for time. Brinkman and Mercadel as Rfr also flashing as big time talents. Still Linebacker U...this next year's front 7 is going to be filthy.

Safety:

Starters true freshmen Grimsley and Sophomore Dempsey are each a year older and experienced (now Soph and Junior seasons). Pretty deep at SS with guys like Brown, Cenescar, and Wimbush. I'm expecting some position swapping in the fall....

CB:

Key loss: CJ Smith and Champion

....and here's why. Like the concerns I had going into this past season at the safety position (ultimately the whole secondary), I'm not overly excited about the CB position. Alot of injuries kept guys out this spring....who's going to be the #1 corner? Allison? Position change from an existing safety? This might be another position to watch this fall with a guy seeing the field early unfortunately....trial by fire like Grimsley had to go through this past season.

Special teams:

Key loss: Lecompte

Pederson looking good at kicker (yeah.....he had a rough postseason sans the championship). Kickoffs will be a question mark/unknown. Long snapper Fisher will be a junior....but ****....there is a genuine concern at punter. Gallagher might have an "OK" leg....but he looked like hot garbage just catching a snap and was slow to get kicks off. The Bison have a FBS transfer coming in at punter...and fingers crossed he's serviceable.

Twentysix
April 23rd, 2016, 10:38 PM
Think Menard will be drafted in what would that be 2018?

BisonFan02
April 23rd, 2016, 10:43 PM
Think Menard will be drafted in what would that be 2018?

Greg Menard - 6'2" and 240 lbs (pending update I imagine...he looks bigger)

Kyle Emanuel took his hand off the dirt and is now playing OLB for the Chargers at 6'3" and 250 lbs.

I think Menard will follow the same path and is a LB in a 3-4 system...I'm not there yet that he is the same level of a guy as Emanuel, but he has 2 more years to develop...time will tell and is definitely something to watch.

IBleedYellow
April 24th, 2016, 05:27 AM
This program develops talent. I am not too worried for the LT position. Someone will step up, and continue the LT to NFL road.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 24th, 2016, 07:19 AM
The cornerback position will work itself out by fall. The front 7 will be monsters in '16. This defense, if it stays healthy, could potentially be the best ever.

This team is going to curb stomp a lot of teams this year.

AmsterBison
April 24th, 2016, 09:06 AM
The cornerback position will work itself out by fall. The front 7 will be monsters in '16. This defense, if it stays healthy, could potentially be the best ever.

This team is going to curb stomp a lot of teams this year.

It's never too early to worry... the secondary needs work.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 24th, 2016, 11:09 AM
It's never too early to worry... the secondary needs work.

The secondary will benefit from having a great front 7 in front of them.

WTFCollegefootballfan
April 24th, 2016, 11:18 AM
I thought I would throw a few comments by position for the Bison this spring and headed into the fall. Feel free to add. This won't focus on incoming freshmen outside of a few key notes. I would imagine there will be a few surprises with guys arriving in the fall (Engel at WR).

QB:

Key loss: Wentz

Stick was....well...Stick. The Bison are blessed to have him for another 3 years. One thing to watch will be arm development and to see if the playbook continues to expand. He did look improved during the game, but he will still have huge shoes to fill in the passing game. The backups (Davis and Hendricks) each looked serviceable...Davis probably the most improved. Stick will need to stay healthy and upright.

RB:

Key loss: NONE....(Darius Anderson in spot duty)

There won't be enough carries to spread around....Frazier, Bruce Anderson, Dunn, Morlock, and now add Purifoy. Watch Morlock to maybe finish making a position change to FB/Slot. No concerns here......

FB:

Key loss: Cyr, Bonnet

Who is going to be the "battering ram" at the FB position? Guys like Cyr and Grothmann previously are unsung players. Morlock and a few of the existing TEs are vying for the "Bonnet" role.

WR:

Key loss: Vraa

Urzendowski and Shepherd are key returners. Need to find WR #3 to stretch the field. A guy like Hawkins could...Dimitri Williams is a threat in the slot. Watch for a true freshmen to see the field here.....Engel out of Chaska, MN looks to be the replacement for Vraa at 6'5" 200+ before getting the "Kramer" treatment.

TE:

Key loss: Albers and "Bonnet" (listed again as hybrid)

Deep position right now at NDSU. RFr Ellefson is going to be a force....Illies is interesting as more of a receiving TE....Conner Wentz and Nate Jenson as well.

OL:

Key loss: Haeg and Kelly

Fairly deep on the depth chart, but I personally have concerns at LT. Cornick to Turner to Haeg.....The Bison have had NFL talent at this spot....more later. See also concerns about Stick staying healthy.

Defense....

DE:

Good lord.....Menard is a beast (and only going to be a junior). He absolutely abused whoever was in front of him (see the LT comment). Paired up with Ambrosius and backed up by Jones/Butler and the Tuszka brothers....1000% set.

DT:

Key loss: Schaetz

See DE...Tanguay, Steidl, Morgan, Williams....etc. etc. There will be a theme here

LB:

Yup...all back. Deluca, Gee-Tucker, Stumpf as starters and guys like Plank, Jordheim, and Marlette fighting for time. Brinkman and Mercadel as Rfr also flashing as big time talents. Still Linebacker U...this next year's front 7 is going to be filthy.

Safety:

Starters true freshmen Grimsley and Sophomore Dempsey are each a year older and experienced (now Soph and Junior seasons). Pretty deep at SS with guys like Brown, Cenescar, and Wimbush. I'm expecting some position swapping in the fall....

CB:

Key loss: CJ Smith and Champion

....and here's why. Like the concerns I had going into this past season at the safety position (ultimately the whole secondary), I'm not overly excited about the CB position. Alot of injuries kept guys out this spring....who's going to be the #1 corner? Allison? Position change from an existing safety? This might be another position to watch this fall with a guy seeing the field early unfortunately....trial by fire like Grimsley had to go through this past season.

Special teams:

Key loss: Lecompte

Pederson looking good at kicker (yeah.....he had a rough postseason sans the championship). Kickoffs will be a question mark/unknown. Long snapper Fisher will be a junior....but ****....there is a genuine concern at punter. Gallagher might have an "OK" leg....but he looked like hot garbage just catching a snap and was slow to get kicks off. The Bison have a FBS transfer coming in at punter...and fingers crossed he's serviceable.
You do know the Bison punter wasn't on the field yesterday?

BisonTru
April 24th, 2016, 11:24 AM
With LT and #1CB, one thing we have to remember is we were watching two LTs that got drafted and two CBs that one is in the NFL and one will get a shot.

To me Allison seems like a solid MVFC CB. Colin Conner also looks conference wise like an average starter. Hopefully both can emerge as NFL like talents, time will tell.

Also, Menard is a beast. Damn it's gonna be fun having that kid around for the next two years.

Digging a little deeper Merchedal - LB who I probably butchered his name and Tre Fort - DB, both impressed me as well.

BisonFan02
April 24th, 2016, 01:12 PM
You do know the Bison punter wasn't on the field yesterday?

You did read the last sentence of my post?

JSUSoutherner
April 24th, 2016, 02:10 PM
So what I'm reading here is, pass deep, pass often, and attack the secondary because running is futile. That D-line sounds a mean bunch.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 24th, 2016, 02:15 PM
So what I'm reading here is, pass deep, pass often, and attack the secondary because running is futile. That D-line sounds a mean bunch.

With both corners graduating, I suspect teams will test the Bison secondary, esp the first two games.

IBleedYellow
April 24th, 2016, 02:16 PM
With both corners graduating, I suspect teams will test the Bison secondary, esp the first two games.
Of course, now we get the rematch with EWU.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 24th, 2016, 02:30 PM
Of course, now we get the rematch with EWU.

I, for one, cannot wait for the EWU game. Their defense is horrible and I hope Coach K puts the pedal to the floor and keeps it there.

I probably have my green/yellow glasses on but I really do not think the first 2 games will be competitive. Both will be blowouts.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
April 24th, 2016, 02:30 PM

That is what i'd do. of course i hope they move Tre Dempsey from FS down to corner opposite Jalen Allison. Both solid players. Leaving youth at the back end just like last year to get better as the year goes on. Grimsley at SS and bring in the new JUCO cat at FS or switch the two. Daren Kelley NDSCS. Big dude 6'2 205. Exciting Player. Position shifts are tough but Dempsey has played corner and this allows the best guys to get on the field.

Thumper 76
April 24th, 2016, 02:32 PM

If you get time to pass deep.

BisonTru
April 24th, 2016, 03:04 PM
I, for one, cannot wait for the EWU game. Their defense is horrible and I hope Coach K puts the pedal to the floor and keeps it there.

I probably have my green/yellow glasses on but I really do not think the first 2 games will be competitive. Both will be blowouts.

Agreed. I think the EWU game is going to go a lot like Montana 2.0 last year. We'll see how that quick spread offense does in the dome. I feel for the Eagles defensive lineman. They are going to play a lot.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 24th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Agreed. I think the EWU game is going to go a lot like Montana 2.0 last year. We'll see how that quick spread offense does in the dome. I feel for the Eagles defensive lineman. They are going to play a lot.

EWU is horrible against the run and I suspect they will get a heavy dose of the power running game.

EWU's defense has been crap for5 years and I do not expect them to make a miraculous turnaround in 1 year. The Bison will do what they do.....grind out drives and eat clock.

Bison in a romp IMO. Agree with the Griz 2.0 game.

BisonTru
April 24th, 2016, 06:17 PM
EWU is horrible against the run and I suspect they will get a heavy dose of the power running game.

EWU's defense has been crap for5 years and I do not expect them to make a miraculous turnaround in 1 year. The Bison will do what they do.....grind out drives and eat clock.

Bison in a romp IMO. Agree with the Griz 2.0 game.

Statistically they have been one of the worst, but to be fair with the style they play it's unlikely that EWU will ever put up really impressive defensive stats. These quick spread offenses mortgage their defense to run their fast pace offense. It works see Montana 1.0, but you need to get your offense moving and in a hurry. A few 3 and outs against a power running team that's having some success and it can get ugly see Montana 2.0.

Teams almost always struggle at least early on in their first trip to the Fargodome. I don't see it going any differently for the Eagles. I wouldn't be shocked to see NDSU eat up most of the first quarter and by the second quarter every one of the front 7 for EWU defense to have gone from "let's beat the bison" to "I just want to get the hell out of Fargo."

clenz
April 24th, 2016, 08:24 PM
The defense that UNI faced last year against EWU was hideous.

I hope UNI and NDSU curb stomp that defense with the power run game.

Bisonator
April 24th, 2016, 08:40 PM
Freeman looked good at WR. I think he has a shot at playing time this year. Purifoy looked good at RB but not sure how many snaps he's going to get with a loaded backfield. The LT's got owned by Menard and the secondary got beat a few times and some penalties. The punter was pathetic, hope the transfer can at least catch the snap! Couldn't really judge anything else from that spring "game" as it wasn't even much of a scrimmage IMO.

BisonFan02
April 24th, 2016, 08:52 PM
Freeman looked good at WR. I think he has a shot at playing time this year. Purifoy looked good at RB but not sure how many snaps he's going to get with a loaded backfield. The LT's got owned by Menard and the secondary got beat a few times and some penalties. The punter was pathetic, hope the transfer can at least catch the snap! Couldn't really judge anything else from that spring "game" as it wasn't even much of a scrimmage IMO.

All of this, but I'm holding out on a grade with the WR position until the fall...I've heard this Engel guy coming in is pretty good.

LT is going to be an interesting position for the Bison....awfully big shoes to fill and it is a concern. I don't put much stock into the spring game since the "fresh meat" had to try and contain Menard....good luck. CB will sort itself out, but I think some shuffling is going to happen in order to accomplish it. Time will tell who gets moved out of a safety position that is a bit log jammed.

Bisonator
April 24th, 2016, 10:59 PM
All of this, but I'm holding out on a grade with the WR position until the fall...I've heard this Engel guy coming in is pretty good.

LT is going to be an interesting position for the Bison....awfully big shoes to fill and it is a concern. I don't put much stock into the spring game since the "fresh meat" had to try and contain Menard....good luck. CB will sort itself out, but I think some shuffling is going to happen in order to accomplish it. Time will tell who gets moved out of a safety position that is a bit log jammed.

Itll be interesting if Engel redshirts or not, we'll see. I think Connor will be OK at LT. He's only going to get better. CB is concerning for me. Our defense depends on one shut down corner and we saw what happened without CJ last season. One of those guys absolutely needs to step up.

TheKingpin28
April 25th, 2016, 12:55 AM
Itll be interesting if Engel redshirts or not, we'll see. I think Connor will be OK at LT. He's only going to get better. CB is concerning for me. Our defense depends on one shut down corner and we saw what happened without CJ last season. One of those guys absolutely needs to step up.

*Perspective of how I can see the O being ran this year*

If Engel and Urzendowski are both out there, it will truly open up the box and keep the defense honest. This will give Stick the opportunity to face 4-5 rushers and give him time to either get that 1-on-1 coverage against the TE or checkdown to a receiver. This will allow for a 30-40 minute offense of mainly running the ball behind Frazier and Dunn, with Anderson coming in for explosive jet sweeps or pitches. Move Morlock to more of a scat back/upright full back and keep Wentz and Jenson in there for Power I, gap running and Illies for seam routes. By moving Morlock to a upright full back, they can use him like Alstott was used in Tampa Bay, or to give Stick extra help if the LT is being bull rushed. ALL THE WHILE, Bisonation is yelling at the TV or at the game for Polasek to run the damn ball. :P

*Perspective for the D*

The Front 7, well nothing needs to be said, as yes I think the Bison have 2 contenders for the Buck in Menard and DeLuca, and maybe Stumpf? Other than that that front 7 is going to rip teams apart, sans UNI and probably Iowa. Safety positions I'm not too worried about either, as Grimsley has locked down the position and will remind me of Dudzik and Dempsey is solid on the back end as well and I can see him shadowing #1 WRs to help out the young CBs. Which leads to the ink on ledger. Besides Allison, who steps up? Does Dempsey move down and one of the young SS/FS move to the back end? Will the Bison play 1 deep and a zone until the young CBs can learn the game. CSU and EWU will give them a chance to wade in the water, but when it comes to Iowa, that game is going to force them them to step up, or for the front 7 to get to Beathard or it will get ugly fast.

Don't even get me started on the punter, but I'm glad they have a transfer coming in. It is going to suck to not have LeCompte on the back end this year but hopefully Koonce can replace him and flip the field.

Overall, I'm excited for another year of Bison Football, but I'm nervous for the CBs and maybe the safeties? Then again, we saw how they did last year when faced with adversity with most of D being new, and they came through. Why can't it be end of August already?

Thumper 76
April 25th, 2016, 03:13 AM
As a Jacks fan, two things gone that were absolutely murderous to us are Wentz and Lecompte. The Marker games between the two teams have always been grinders, and having those two majorly tipped the scales in the field position game with the punting and executing brutally painful third downs. So I'm excited about that xlolx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POD Knows
April 25th, 2016, 08:49 AM
As a Jacks fan, two things gone that were absolutely murderous to us are Wentz and Lecompte. The Marker games between the two teams have always been grinders, and having those two majorly tipped the scales in the field position game with the punting and executing brutally painful third downs. So I'm excited about that xlolx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah, those painful third down conversions against the Bison will still happen, it will a QB with different color hair doing the damage. xnodx

Boogs
April 25th, 2016, 08:58 AM
Did anyone take any pictures? Curious to see how many attended the game based on visual proof.

Did your school provide any freebies to the crowd like free food (Arby's), pennants, stickers, t-shirts, etc.?

clenz
April 25th, 2016, 09:02 AM
Did anyone take any pictures? Curious to see how many attended the game based on visual proof.

Did your school provide any freebies to the crowd like free food (Arby's), pennants, stickers, t-shirts, etc.?
They reported over 5K.

So, more than any Dayton home game last year and almost double your average crowd.

Boogs
April 25th, 2016, 09:10 AM
They reported over 5K.

The USFL fudged their numbers to the media to make them look good. Taking stuff at face value...probably not a good way to operate all of the time. Where are the digital pictures for that game...that shows the crowd?

Did NDSU charge admission? Were the concession stands open? Any freebies?

Dayton gave away free food and the game was also on WHIO 1290 radio. That's organized. That's creative marketing. That's class.

BisonFan02
April 25th, 2016, 09:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiDodHY-_BA

Around 5k (most of the one sideline). It was also broadcast live on statewide NBC...bumping NHL playoff hockey. xlolx

BisonFan02
April 25th, 2016, 09:16 AM
The USFL fudged their numbers to the media to make them look good. Taking stuff at face value...probably not a good way to operate all of the time. Where are the digital pictures for that game...that shows the crowd?

Did NDSU charge admission? Were the concession stands open? Any freebies?

Dayton gave away free food and the game was also on WHIO 1290 radio. That's organized. That's creative marketing. That's class..

xlolx You guys are not on the same planet as NDSU regarding any metric for football.

Player press conference for post spring game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBHyTh3X0kM

- - - Updated - - -

Coach Klieman press conference post game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESwHvR_g-vk

Boogs
April 25th, 2016, 09:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiDodHY-_BA

Around 5k (most of the one sideline). It was also broadcast live on statewide NBC...bumping NHL playoff hockey. xlolx

You guys don't belong in FCS any more than Georgia Southern, Old Dominion and Appalachian State.

clenz
April 25th, 2016, 09:20 AM
You guys don't belong in FCS any more than Georgia Southern, Old Dominion and Appalachian State.
I would bet UNI will have roughly 3-4K at their spring game in a week or two.

BisonFan02
April 25th, 2016, 09:24 AM

Which is weird, because I don't think they belong in FBS....almost like I don't believe any Pioneer schools belong anywhere near DI/FCS...or even DII...maybe DIII? Club football perhaps?

Professor Chaos
April 25th, 2016, 09:38 AM

Roughly at the 38:30 mark of this video they zoom out to show the crowd. Seating was only allowed in the stands that they showed in that shot and if those stands are plump full it's probably ~7K. However, I'm sure any number thrown out is a guess because they didn't charge admission and there were a good number of people back behind the stands on the concourse going through a vendor expo of Bison memorabilia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpjAbIE_6YM

Mayville Bison
April 25th, 2016, 10:11 AM
Couple thoughts I had during the game

-They threw a lot of "jump balls" into the end zone. Are they preparing for Engel or possibly moving Illies to the outside to create some mismatches?
-It was nice to have a punt returner actually come up and catch those short punts. I can't tell you how many times I was concerned a short punt was going to bounce off one of our guys and give the other team the ball on a 30 yard gain.
-Did Gallagher cut himself with that performance?
-I'm not concerned if Stick misses a game or two with Davis behind him. Let Stick be Stick and don't limit him (think 2009).
-Board is HUGE! Makes you forget he was a dback last year.
-The front 7 is nasty. Throw in Grimsley (LB mentality like Heagle was) and there are going to be some black and blue marks left on opposing players.
-It's good to be a Bison fan! KVLY coverage was good - I wish they wouldn't have had so many split screens as I don't need to see the person you are interviewing, just hear him. I also love how angry people were that a scrimmage bumped an NHL postseason game!

Professor Chaos
April 25th, 2016, 10:14 AM
I also love how angry people were that a scrimmage bumped an NHL postseason game!
But then the angry realized that they didn't miss any fights and felt better.

Boogs
April 26th, 2016, 08:20 AM

xlolx You guys are not on the same planet as NDSU regarding any metric for football.

Player press conference for post spring game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBHyTh3X0kM

- - - Updated - - -

Coach Klieman press conference post game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESwHvR_g-vk

Ohio State had press conferences too after their spring game. That's my point. NDSU no longer belongs in FCS any more than Mount Union belongs in D3.

Bisonator
April 26th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Ohio State had press conferences too after their spring game. That's my point. NDSU no longer belongs in FCS any more than Mount Union belongs in D3.

I agree. Dayton doesn't belong in FCS either, maybe D3.

clenz
April 26th, 2016, 08:45 AM
NDSU isn't the only/won't be the only with press conferences in the FCS

Thumper 76
April 26th, 2016, 01:14 PM
I would bet UNI will have roughly 3-4K at their spring game in a week or two.

If the Jacks game had not been in the SJAC they might have gotten up there, was standing room only in there.

Bisonoline
April 26th, 2016, 09:19 PM
NDSU isn't the only/won't be the only with press conferences in the FCS

I guess thats the benchmark for moving up with the brain dead faction. And dont forget the free wieners. xlmaox