PDA

View Full Version : Central Connecticut Announces Creation of Scott Pioli Enrichment Fund

aceinthehole
April 14th, 2016, 01:30 PM
Central Connecticut football Hall of Fame student-athlete and current NFL executive Scott Pioli, along with Vice President for Institutional Advancement Chris Galligan and Director of Athletics Paul Schlickmann have announced the creation of the Scott Pioli Football Enrichment Fund.

The endowed fund, established through the CCSU Foundation, Inc., will be used to support grants-in-aid to student-athletes competing in football at the University.

"After establishing an endowed academic scholarship for first generational college students at CCSU through the partnership with College For Every Student, my next goal was to give back to the football program that has given me so much," Pioli said. "Establishing this new endowed fund allows me to begin a meaningful way of doing just that."

Pioli is a 1988 graduate of the University and a member of the Alumni Athletics Hall of Fame. In 2016 he was given the Kaiser Award, which is presented to a former student-athlete who has, since graduation, distinguished himself/herself and their alma mater by their accomplishments and service. He is currently the Assistant General Manager with the Atlanta Falcons in the NFL, and has also held executive positions with the Kansas City Chiefs and New England Patriots. He has been named NFL Executive of the Year by various media outlets five times during his career. During his time in New Britain, Scott was a three-time All-New England selection.

"Scott's generous gift to the CCSU football program provides a major contribution to the personal development of our student-athletes," Galligan said. "It perfectly exemplifies his and the University's commitment to helping our young student-athletes grow educationally and socially as responsible and civically engaged adults. On behalf of the University I am very grateful to Scott, who continues to demonstrate his belief in cultivating student success on the field, in the classroom, and in life."

"We are truly humbled by this extraordinary gift and exceptional generosity of Scott Pioli," Schlickmann added. "It has been a privilege getting to know Scott the past six years as an alumnus, as a professional and as a friend. He is a passionate and thoughtful individual who believes in philanthropy as a means to enhance the educational development and opportunities for young men and women. We are grateful that he has deemed our football program and our student-athletes worthy of this gift. His loyalty to CCSU and our athletics program will benefit the experiences of Blue Devils and impact the success of our program for years to come."

"I am thankful for the role that Central Connecticut State University and the Blue Devil football program played in my life as a student-athlete and throughout my professional career in the NFL," Pioli added. "I can never fully give back what the university, friends, coaches, teammates, and the faculty and staff gave me during my time at Central. The community at CCSU allowed me to grow my passion for education, athletics, the arts and diversity. I am a firm believer in the biblical principal: 'To whom much is given, much is required' and my work at CCSU is not done." http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/sports/fball/2015-16/releases/20160414jltwg2

Potentially, a big move toward full scholarship football at CCSU, and I hope it establishes the possibility of future affiliation with CAA Football programs such as New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, Stony Brook, and Albany.

KPSUL
April 14th, 2016, 02:02 PM
I hope it will happen for you as well. Eventually JMU may find an FBS fit, or the Patriot League may lure Richmond or NOVA (less likely) and there will be a good fit for CCSU in the NE/NY region of the CAA.

UNHWildcat18
April 14th, 2016, 02:13 PM
http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/sports/fball/2015-16/releases/20160414jltwg2

Potentially, a big move toward full scholarship football at CCSU, and I hope it establishes the possibility of future affiliation with CAA Football programs such as New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, Stony Brook, and Albany.

Hope you guys do make the push to 63!

Lehigh Football Nation
April 14th, 2016, 02:23 PM
xthumbsupx

I agree with the others, the CAA could very well be the ultimate destination.

UNHWildcat18
April 14th, 2016, 03:15 PM
xthumbsupx

I agree with the others, the CAA could very well be the ultimate destination.

While I hope they push to 63 I doubt the CAAFB will ever happen for CCSU, even if we lose a member I don't see us adding them.

32counter
April 14th, 2016, 08:52 PM
How and why would Richmond be lured to the Patriot League now that it is a full member in the A-10 for all non-football athletics and an associate member in the CAA for football.How would the luring work?We don't need to accept bribes due to our $2.6B endowment.Our program finished at #3 last season after losing to the unbeatable Bison.Please explain.

"Re: Central Connecticut Announces Creation of Scott Pioli Enrichment Fund
I hope it will happen for you as well. Eventually JMU may find an FBS fit, or the Patriot League may lure Richmond or NOVA (less likely) and there will be a good fit for CCSU in the NE/NY region of the CAA."

UNHWildcat18
April 14th, 2016, 08:54 PM
How and why would Richmond be lured to the Patriot League now that it is a full member in the A-10 for all non-football athletics and an associate member in the CAA for football.How would the luring work?We don't need to accept bribes due to our $2.6B endowment.Our program finished at #3 last season after losing to the unbeatable Bison.Please explain.

I agree Nova and Richmond will never go to the PL, would be a stupid move.

Go...gate
April 15th, 2016, 12:20 AM
I agree Nova and Richmond will never go to the PL, would be a stupid move.

Agreed. That ship has sailed. IMO, the PL will stay the way it is for the foreseeable future.

KPSUL
April 15th, 2016, 07:49 AM

"Re: Central Connecticut Announces Creation of Scott Pioli Enrichment Fund

I hope it will happen for you as well. Eventually JMU may find an FBS fit, or the Patriot League may lure Richmond or NOVA (less likely) and there will be a good fit for CCSU in the NE/NY region of the CAA."

Not sure what explanation you are looking for?. I certainly don't think anyone is trying to "bribe" Richmond, that's your language. Apparently you've missed the dozens of posts by PL AGS members discussing this. I have read them and I've never thought it was likely. That's why I said it was "less likely". What does having an endowment the size of Kosovo's GNP do with the issue? Or being one in a long line of opponents to get their asses handed to them in a Fargo Dome playoff game.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 15th, 2016, 08:31 AM
As long as William & Mary remains a happy CAA member (and to a lesser extent JMU), there's zero reason for Richmond to join a league whose center of gravity is the Lehigh Valley. Likewise with Villanova. As long as Delaware is a happy CAA member, no reason to consider anything else.

The only way the PL would be attractive to both Villanova and Richmond is if the CAA breaks up, probably coupled with a Delaware, JMU and William and Mary move to FBS. Likelihood: Extremely slim.

RichH2
April 15th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Most PL fans do feel that UR,W &M and Nova would be the most ideal schools to join PL . They are. There is currently no reason or incentive to do so.

Gater
April 15th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Good to see that it only took one reply to get this back to the real topic at hand: Patriot League Expansion!!!

Who wants Marist?
When will Bill and Mary join?
When will BU bring back football?
What's the score in the Lafayette vs. New Hampshire game?

Lehigh Football Nation
April 15th, 2016, 10:32 AM
Good to see that it only took one reply to get this back to the real topic at hand: Patriot League Expansion!!!

Who wants Marist?
When will Bill and Mary join?
When will BU bring back football?
What's the score in the Lafayette vs. New Hampshire game?

Maybe CCSU is the candidate. Perhaps they're headed to 60 scholarships and an AI? :)

Gater
April 15th, 2016, 10:50 AM
LET'S TALK ABOUT IT!!!

Lehigh Football Nation
April 15th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Live shot of aceinthehole reading these last few posts

https://38.media.tumblr.com/16335e665094dd67b7741bf752e53c21/tumblr_inline_nuf5lpbifr1tx3m96_500.gif

RichH2
April 15th, 2016, 11:09 AM
C'mon LFN, ace should not be shockedv We waited double digit posts before hijacking the thread.
Not bad for us :)

PAllen
April 15th, 2016, 12:11 PM
Never is a long time, but Richmond, W&M, and Villanova aren't joining the PL in the foreseeable future. In fact, I would be less surprised to see Nova use some of their BBall money to fund a move to FBS. CCSU will join Monmouth and possibly Bryant in the near future as NE teams with fully funded programs but nowhere to go. Sorry to kill a thread on the vital topic of PL expansion, but until someone has a new theory, or even wildly fantastic rumor, there's nothing to see here.

RichH2
April 15th, 2016, 12:24 PM
Now why would you apologize PAllen. Unliklihood hasn't stifled expansion fantasies over the last 3 years. :) Wont stop it now.

UNHWildcat18
April 15th, 2016, 03:04 PM
Never is a long time, but Richmond, W&M, and Villanova aren't joining the PL in the foreseeable future. In fact, I would be less surprised to see Nova use some of their BBall money to fund a move to FBS. CCSU will join Monmouth and possibly Bryant in the near future as NE teams with fully funded programs but nowhere to go. Sorry to kill a thread on the vital topic of PL expansion, but until someone has a new theory, or even wildly fantastic rumor, there's nothing to see here.

I agree, I see either the NEC going to 63 and taking back monmouth or teams leaving to go to 63.

RichH2
April 15th, 2016, 03:13 PM
I agree, I see either the NEC going to 63 and taking back monmouth or teams leaving to go to 63.
Perhaps Big South a destination. New moniker Big Not so South :). Big East already dead.

Go...gate
April 15th, 2016, 07:22 PM
The PL will remain the "Iron Six" and hope that Georgetown will move a bit closer to making the loop the "Iron Seven".

PAllen
April 15th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Perhaps Big South a destination. New moniker Big Not so South :). Big East already dead.

The "Big South - North" perhaps?