PDA

View Full Version : For those that like the FCS because "playoffs"

JayJ79
April 8th, 2016, 09:54 PM
Now that the FBS has "playoffs" too, will you start liking them too?

the answer is likely no at this point, as 4 teams is hardly "playoffs", but if they were to expand to 8 or 16 teams, would that sway your opinion?

BisonFan02
April 8th, 2016, 10:33 PM

the answer is likely no at this point, as 4 teams is hardly "playoffs", but if they were to expand to 8 or 16 teams, would that sway your opinion?

If it went to 16 teams, it would be the FCS with better quality teams and more scholarships. I'm only considering the "football" portion of the FCS argument and not the fanbases of the schools as mentioned in the other thread. I don't think it would have the same feeling of community, but you can't deny a 16 team playoff in the BCS (lets be real here...it would be P5 heavy) wouldn't be intriguing.

Southern Bison
April 8th, 2016, 10:43 PM
At least get it to 8 teams...P5 conference champs and 3 At-large (1 per P5 or top 15 G5 champ). Then it could be deemed as respectable.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
April 8th, 2016, 10:55 PM
Only if they'd make it truly inclusive for the whole subdivision. Maybe in a 16 team playoff that's giving every conference an autobid with 6 at-large bids (since its not an NCAA sanctioned tournament they wouldn't need to abide by the at least 50% at larges rule). But even if it was just the top ranked G5 team getting an auto in an 8 team playoff that would be a start. You can't claim it's a playoff for the subdivision when half the teams are eliminated before their first kickoff.

JayJ79
April 8th, 2016, 11:27 PM
Only if they'd make it truly inclusive for the whole subdivision. Maybe in a 16 team playoff that's giving every conference an autobid with 6 at-large bids (since its not an NCAA sanctioned tournament they wouldn't need to abide by the at least 50% at larges rule). But even if it was just the top ranked G5 team getting an auto in an 8 team playoff that would be a start. You can't claim it's a playoff for the subdivision when half the teams are eliminated before their first kickoff.

currently, 29 of the 123 FCS teams have no shot at the playoffs. (8 Ivy, 11 MEAC, 10 SWAC)
before expansion, the Pioneer League, Northeast and Big South were without autobids.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 8th, 2016, 11:35 PM
If Temple actually had a chance to win something of consequence or compete for a title without a ton of luck my interest would increase substantially. I love Temple don't get me wrong. But when it comes to football I know we're handcuffed so my enthusiasm suffers, relatively speaking.

BisonBacker
April 9th, 2016, 12:18 AM

16 team playoffs hell yes. 4 team fiasco they have now is no playoff.

UncleBuck
April 9th, 2016, 07:35 AM
The 4 teams playoff has gotten me more interested. At least an 8 team playoffs would be better. I'll give it five more years. The never ending meaningless bowl games still drive me crazy.

Ultimately what would really interest me more would be if the Gophers ever had a championship contending caliber team.

Laker
April 9th, 2016, 07:42 AM
The 4 teams playoff has gotten me more interested. At least an 8 team playoffs would be better. I'll give it five more years. The never ending meaningless bowl games still drive me crazy.

Ultimately what would really interest me more would be if the Gophers ever had a championship contending caliber team.

An 8 team playoff would be better. When something like 75% of the teams are going to bowl games/playoffs and can have losing records it doesn't say much for FBS.

And yes, it has been a long time since 1967. I was in 8th grade as I listened to the Gophers every week on their way to the three way tie for the top with Indiana and Purdue. And no bowl game!

RootinFerDukes
April 9th, 2016, 08:25 AM
You answered your own question. 4 teams from only half of the FBS conferences, the power five, is hardly a "playoff". When you have 129 fbs teams, you need more than 4 teams getting in.

ST_Lawson
April 9th, 2016, 08:41 AM

Pretty much this...I am more interested now that there's some kind of "playoff". If they someday get to a true 16-team playoff where a quality G5 team has a shot and I'll be all over that. I would have loved to have seen how one of those really good Boise State or Utah teams would have done playing for more than just "bragging rights".

Lehigh Football Nation
April 9th, 2016, 09:58 AM
This may sound strange, but, if the FBS expanded their playoffs to 8 I would probably not watch the first round, but if, say, Middle Tennessee State went in and beat Alabama I would probably be way more interested in the semi's and finals.

As an fan of an FCS school, I would definitely be watching how well the Patriot League does in the FCS playoffs, and would watch the playoffs the whole way through. I only check in on the FBS bowls or playoffs as a lark, the same way a, say, Alabama fan might tune into the FCS playoffs.

MR. CHICKEN
April 9th, 2016, 10:46 AM
This may sound strange, but, if the FBS expanded their playoffs to 8 I would probably not watch the first round, but if, say, Middle Tennessee State went in and beat Alabama I would probably be way more interested in the semi's and finals.

As an fan of an FCS school, I would definitely be watching how well the Patriot League does in the FCS playoffs, and would watch the playoffs the whole way through. I only check in on the FBS bowls or playoffs as a lark, the same way a, say, Alabama fan might tune into the FCS playoffs.

.....DOES SEEM STRANGE.....AS YOU'D MISS MID TENN STATE'S...GIANT UPSET.......BUT COME ROUND TW0.....AS YA...SETTLE IN WHIFF DUH PILSNERS AN' CHIPS.....DEY'D...BE THRASHED...BAH WHO'S NEXT.......BROCK!

Laker
April 9th, 2016, 10:47 AM
I watch playoffs in all sports and all levels that I can. There is something about the finality of it all. I have to say that I still watch bowl games but they sure have lost their importance since the old days. I'll watch lacrosse and hockey playoffs although I never played either one. It isn't like watching an NFL exhibition game........

Lehigh Football Nation
April 9th, 2016, 11:42 AM
.....DOES SEEM STRANGE.....AS YOU'D MISS MID TENN STATE'S...GIANT UPSET.......BUT COME ROUND TW0.....AS YA...SETTLE IN WHIFF DUH PILSNERS AN' CHIPS.....DEY'D...BE THRASHED...BAH WHO'S NEXT.......BROCK!

A very fair point. However that weekend it might be a choice between an FCS semifinal and a FBS 1st round weekend. If forced to choose I'd probably take the FCS semis.

RichH2
April 9th, 2016, 01:25 PM
A 4 team playoff ? More, a P5 moneymaker than an actual national playoff.

Bisonoline
April 9th, 2016, 05:30 PM

When they install a REAL playoff then yes.

Professor Chaos
April 9th, 2016, 07:45 PM
currently, 29 of the 123 FCS teams have no shot at the playoffs. (8 Ivy, 11 MEAC, 10 SWAC)
before expansion, the Pioneer League, Northeast and Big South were without autobids.
Those teams exclude themselves. And I've always been a proponent of expanding the FCS playoffs to allow an autobid to every conference that wants one. Whether a non-scholly league like the Pioneer should be able to call themselves an FCS conference is a different argument.