PDA

View Full Version : 31 teams have a playoff win since 2000

GSU Eagle
December 17th, 2006, 12:45 PM
I had some time on my hands so I decided to do some research on the playoffs. It surprised me some to discover that 31 teams have had at least 1 playoff win since 2000.

As we all know the previous 7 champions have been:
2006: Appalachian St.
2005: Appalachian St.
2004: James Madison
2003: Delaware
2002: Western Kentucky
2001: Montana
2000: Georgia Southern

Here is the rundown of playoff wins since 2000:

13: Montana
11: Appalachian St.
8: Georgia Southern
7: Delaware
6: Northern Iowa, Furman, Western Kentucky
4: James Madison
3: New Hampshire, Sam Houston St., Colgate, McNeese St, Massachusetts
2: Texas St, Richmond, William & Mary, Florida Atlantic, Western Illinois,
Wofford, Villanova, Maine, LeHigh, Youngstown St.. Southern Illinois
1: Cal Poly, Eastern Washington, Northern Arizona,
Fordham, Hofstra, Montana St, Illinois St.

By conference since 2000:
27: Southern Conference
26: A-10
19: Gateway
16: Big Sky
8: Southland
6: Patriot
2: Independents (Florida Atlantic)
1: Great West

I don't know if I would rank conferences by this method but it is clear who the "Big 4" conferences are in terms of playoff wins.

appfan2008
December 17th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Very clear indeed...
Being a homer and very biased I do believe that is how they should be ranked due to the fact that the playoffs pit all these conferences against one another... it is the best way to tell who is the best... that or by number of titles but that is better for one teams successes

th0m
December 17th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I don't think a team's number of titles is necessarily an indicator of success, of lack thereof. Would you say a team that won a single championship in say, the last 2 decades, is better than a team that was the runner up on multiple occasions?

MplsBison
December 17th, 2006, 01:40 PM
This just shows how top heavy the SoCon is.

And this year, when GSU and Furman were down, the SoCon was down.

December 17th, 2006, 01:56 PM
And this year, when GSU and Furman were down, the SoCon was down."the SoCon was down" :confused:

The SoCon produced the national champ.

Furman was down? They made the field of 16 for the playoffs.

Your post reads like SoCon smack and not reasoned discussion. :nod:

furpal87
December 17th, 2006, 02:13 PM
GSU eagle: You either miscounted or skipped one from someone. I counted a total of 104 wins. 7 years X 15 games/year = 105 games.

TexasTerror
December 17th, 2006, 03:34 PM
SLC was a solid multi-bid conference, but this year, they just did not schedule appropriately. The SLC is a brutal schedule within conference and unfortunately, a trip to Montana (who leads the pack with 13 playoff wins) is likely for any SLC team...

Time for SLC coaches and administrators to sit down and discuss scheduling and what other things can be done to improve our playoff representation and success...

GSU Eagle
December 17th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I left out 1 of Southern Illinois's wins. They actually have 2 playoff wins since 2000, not the 1 I originally had. So the Gateway gets 1 more win.

I have corrected the list I posted at the start of this thread. 105 games: 7 years times 15 games.

asu70
December 17th, 2006, 04:28 PM

And this year, when GSU and Furman were down, the SoCon was down.
IMHO, your logic on APP and the Socon has been off base all year. You said that ASU was not that good because the Socon was weak and so was our out of conference games. You also predicted the Apps wouldn't win any playoff games using the same logic and we all know how your predictions turned out.

LUHawker
December 17th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Keep in mind the size of some of these conferences. The A-10 has 12 teams for example.

UAalum72
December 17th, 2006, 05:38 PM
By conference since 2000:
27: Southern Conference
26: A-10
19: Gateway
16: Big Sky
8: Southland
6: Patriot
2: Independents (Florida Atlantic)
1: Great West
Since Western Kentucky was in the OVC in 2000, this list overstates the HISTORICAL strength of the Gateway; giving those wins to the OVC would overstate that conference's CURRENT strength; since WKU is leaving the subdivision, those wins distort future considerations.

Might as well list the rest:
Ivy 0
SWAC 0
NEC 0
MAAC 0
Big South 0
Pioneer 0

oh yeah, the other two autobid conferences:
OVC 0
MEAC 0

Umass74
December 17th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Another way to parse those numbers

1. Big Sky--16 wins. 13 of them by Montana.:eek:

2. Southern Conference-- 27 wins. Nineteen of them by GSU and Appalachian State.

th0m
December 17th, 2006, 06:29 PM
GSU eagle: You either miscounted or skipped one from someone. I counted a total of 104 wins. 7 years X 15 games/year = 105 games.

Topic starter is talking about teams that have won a playoff game, not teams that were in a playoff game.

MplsBison
December 17th, 2006, 07:27 PM
The SoCon produced the national champ.

Furman was down? They made the field of 16 for the playoffs.

So if 6 out of 8 conference teams went 0-11 but the other 2 made the playoffs, the conference wouldn't be down?

Whatever dude, you'll say anything to defend anything that has to do with I-AA at any cost.

MplsBison
December 17th, 2006, 07:28 PM
IMHO, your logic on APP and the Socon has been off base all year. You said that ASU was not that good because the Socon was weak and so was our out of conference games. You also predicted the Apps wouldn't win any playoff games using the same logic and we all know how your predictions turned out.

App was the number #1 team.

But they did benefit from a weak conference.

89Hen
December 17th, 2006, 07:28 PM

2. Southern Conference-- 27 wins. Nineteen of them by GSU and Appalachian State.
:nod: :nod: :nod: :bow:

Saint3333
December 17th, 2006, 07:37 PM
ASU, Furman, & GSU = 3 of the top 10 1-AA programs.

Add Marshall and that's 4 of the top 10.

SoCon is top heavy, but it's been said before that WCU, Citadel, and UTC could have made an impact in the playoffs if they didn't have to play the big 3 (ASU, Furman, Marshall and now ASU, Furman, GSU) every year.

I predict a lot of this...:deadhorse:

89Hen
December 17th, 2006, 07:44 PM
but it's been said before that WCU, Citadel, and UTC could have made an impact in the playoffs if they didn't have to play the big 3 (ASU, Furman, Marshall and now ASU, Furman, GSU) every year.
By whom?????

DFW HOYA
December 17th, 2006, 09:24 PM
SLC was a solid multi-bid conference, but this year, they just did not schedule appropriately. The SLC is a brutal schedule within conference and unfortunately, a trip to Montana (who leads the pack with 13 playoff wins) is likely for any SLC team...

Time for SLC coaches and administrators to sit down and discuss scheduling and what other things can be done to improve our playoff representation and success...

Long term, the SLC has also been hurt by I-A migration (North Texas, SWT, etc.)

AZGrizFan
December 18th, 2006, 12:06 AM

I'm surprised you beat 89Hen to the punch. He must be gettin' slow in his old age. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

AZGrizFan
December 18th, 2006, 12:07 AM

I'd put my money on the BSC----Boise State, Nevada, Idaho----up against anything SLC has lost. :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

putter
December 18th, 2006, 12:14 AM
I'd put my money on the BSC----Boise State, Nevada, Idaho----up against anything SLC has lost. :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

You beat me to it!

Funny how people put so much stock in depth of conference as being the tell all. The Socon was down so App benefited from a weak conference yet steamrolled their way to the Championship. Montana beat the SLC champ, a top team in the Gateway (toughest CS conference) and lost to a UMass team that gave App the most difficult game of the playoffs by far.

AZGrizFan
December 18th, 2006, 12:18 AM
You beat me to it!

Funny how people put so much stock in depth of conference as being the tell all. The Socon was down so App benefited from a weak conference yet steamrolled their way to the Championship. Montana beat the SLC champ, a top team in the Gateway (toughest CS conference) and lost to a UMass team that gave App the most difficult game of the playoffs by far.

Ah, putter, we all know (right Hen?) that the only reason UM went 12-2 was because they got to play 10 patsies after Iowa. Then, of course, they got the two easiest teams in the playoffs AT HOME. Because the committee shows favoritism.....If they were in the Gateway or SoCon or A-10, they'd be lucky to be .500. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

ASU Kep
December 18th, 2006, 01:46 AM

Wern't you the one doubting us every week in the playoffs because of our supposedly weak conference?

TexasTerror
December 18th, 2006, 08:18 AM

Since when did Southwest Texas leave? They got a new name (Texas State University - San Marcos), but we haven't lost them...

UNT
NE Louisiana (Louisiana-Monroe)
SW Louisiana (Lousiana-Lafayette)
Arkansas State

We lost a bunch of Sun Belt squads...in addition to Lamar and UT-Arlington who tossed football...

SLC has a .500 record against above competition in last five years if I am not mistaken...McNeese will improve that with a win over the Cajuns next year...

ChickenMan
December 18th, 2006, 08:22 AM
SoCon is top heavy, but it's been said before that WCU, Citadel, and UTC could have made an impact in the playoffs if they didn't have to play the big 3 (ASU, Furman, Marshall and now ASU, Furman, GSU) every year.

The only way any of those three could have made an 'impact' would have been by purchasing tickets to the playoffs.

The overall records of WCU... Citadel and UTC over the last seven years...

UTC... 18-50

Citadel... 26-51

WCU... 32-44

somehow I doubt that ASU... GSU and Furman were solely responsible for that kind of futility

lizrdgizrd
December 18th, 2006, 08:26 AM

How would we have benefited from a weak conference? I would think tough competition would better prepare your team for the playoffs.

Note, I'm not questioning your assumption that the SoCon was down this year.

ChickenMan
December 18th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Ah, putter, we all know (right Hen?) that the only reason UM went 12-2 was because they got to play 10 patsies after Iowa. Then, of course, they got the two easiest teams in the playoffs AT HOME. Because the committee shows favoritism.....If they were in the Gateway or SoCon or A-10, they'd be lucky to be .500. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

6-5... :D :p xlolx

BillLuc1982
December 18th, 2006, 08:29 AM
How about playoff winning percentage since the selection committee can screw some teams? And take the best percentages of each conference.

MplsBison
December 18th, 2006, 08:56 AM
How would we have benefited from a weak conference?

More wins, fewer injuries.

lizrdgizrd
December 18th, 2006, 09:00 AM
More wins, fewer injuries.
Is there a correlation between injuries suffered and the strength of a conference? I would think that weak teams would be more likely to use dangerous plays to try and win a game they shouldn't.

89Hen
December 18th, 2006, 09:04 AM
If they were in the Gateway or SoCon or A-10, they'd be lucky to be .500. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
I don't think anyone has ever come even close to saying that. HOWEVER, you could kiss your 14 year playoff streak goodbye. Nobody in any other conference has come even close to that. Had Montana won 4 NC's, 4 Runner-ups, 4 Semifinal appearances... during those 14, then you could give all the credit to Montana and not to being in the Big Sky. However, with the rest of the BSC having such a dismal record in the playoffs in the last 10 years...

BillLuc1982
December 18th, 2006, 09:24 AM
The Great West is relatively new. If UCD, NDSU, and SDSU were playoff eligible, I am sure that the number of playoff wins for the GWFC would be much higher.

AZGrizFan
December 18th, 2006, 10:08 AM
I don't think anyone has ever come even close to saying that. HOWEVER, you could kiss your 14 year playoff streak goodbye. Nobody in any other conference has come even close to that. Had Montana won 4 NC's, 4 Runner-ups, 4 Semifinal appearances... during those 14, then you could give all the credit to Montana and not to being in the Big Sky. However, with the rest of the BSC having such a dismal record in the playoffs in the last 10 years...

Hen, I don't have the time or energy to go back and find the statements, but I guarantee you I've seen that exact statement here, and more than once.

BTW, how did the Hens do in the playoffs this year? :D

89Hen
December 18th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Hen, I don't have the time or energy to go back and find the statements, but I guarantee you I've seen that exact statement here, and more than once.

BTW, how did the Hens do in the playoffs this year? :D
Not by anybody that you'd respect as a poster. :p

And we didn't make the playoffs. We play in a conference in which when you're down, you're out of the playoffs. If we were in the Fluff Sky we probably would have been 8-3 at worst, hosted a low ranked team, and won at least one playoff game. :p

AZGrizFan
December 18th, 2006, 10:31 AM

And we didn't make the playoffs. We play in a conference in which when you're down, you're out of the playoffs. If we were in the Fluff Sky we probably would have been 8-3 at worst, hosted a low ranked team, and won at least one playoff game. :p

So, in other words, you're Montana State? :nod:

89Hen
December 18th, 2006, 10:42 AM
So, in other words, you're Montana State? :nod:
Exactly. In a bad season, we're your second best team. :D

AZGrizFan
December 18th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Exactly. In a bad season, we're your second best team. :D

But didn't our second best team beat SoCon's second best team? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Oh, wait, I forgot SoCon was down this year too.....:rolleyes:

:D :p

AZGrizFan
December 18th, 2006, 10:49 AM

The difference is, Montana is NEVER down. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

dbackjon
December 18th, 2006, 10:50 AM

NO kidding - BCS bowl for Boise State, Decent bowl for Nevada.

OhioHen
December 18th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Keep in mind the size of some of these conferences. The A-10 has 12 teams for example.

Okay, different list:

Number of TEAMS with at least one playoff win since 2000

A-10 -- 9 (of 12)
Gateway -- 6 (of 8)
Southern -- 4 (of 8)
Big Sky -- 4 (of 9)
Southland -- 3 (of 7)
Patriot -- 3 (of 7)
Ind. -- 1
Great West -- 1 (of 5, but not a fair comparison)

A-10 and Gateway both at 75%. THAT'S what makes a CONFERENCE tough, not how well the BEST team does. :twocents:

AZGrizFan
December 18th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Okay, different list:

Number of TEAMS with at least one playoff win since 2000

A-10 -- 9 (of 12)
Gateway -- 6 (of 8)
Southern -- 4 (of 8)
Big Sky -- 4 (of 9)
Southland -- 3 (of 7)
Patriot -- 3 (of 7)
Ind. -- 1
Great West -- 1 (of 5, but not a fair comparison)

A-10 and Gateway both at 75%. THAT'S what makes a CONFERENCE tough, not how well the BEST team does. :twocents:

A bunch of flashes-in-the pan, if you ask me. :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

:p :p