PDA

View Full Version : Why do you love the FCS?

clenz
April 8th, 2016, 08:27 AM
I am working on a project and need/want community feedback.

In a short(ish) summary I want to know why you love the FCS. It could be a myriad of reasons. I'm not looking for a real long post on it, but if you want to do so feel free.

Hopefully the payoff on this comes sometime next week.

FormerPokeCenter
April 8th, 2016, 08:33 AM
I love the FCS for a variety of reasons. Beyond having played in the divisio, I like the fact that it's mostly smaller schools, with limited budgets making the most out of what they have. The student-athletes are student-athletes, they're not primarily football players masquerading as students for a few years while they bide their time waiting on a shot at the pros.

I love that - for the most part - FCS football is played in more intimate settings in front of more knowledgeable fans than in the bigger divisions.

I love the fact that I can walk into the fieldhouse at my favorite school and drop by to see the head coach anytime I want to, no appointment needed.

From where I sit, it's a more pure experience than you find with the P5 schools, where it's become more of a business.

It's all of that and more.

BisonFan02
April 8th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Playoffs.

Professor Chaos
April 8th, 2016, 09:24 AM
2 reasons mainly:

Because the champion is decided on the field in a playoff system.

Because, for the incredibly vast majority, the players aren't prima donnas worried more about their brand and their stats than their team's results on the fields.

And I'll throw in a 3rd, somewhat obscure, reason. The product on the field is a much better value considering what you have to pay compared to the product on P5 fields and the relative price.

NDSU_grad
April 8th, 2016, 09:26 AM
Honestly? Because it's the sub-division my team plays in. I followed DII football like crazy when NDSU was a part of it, now I don't give it an afterthought.

Ivytalk
April 8th, 2016, 09:28 AM
I love FCS because it's the perfect hybrid of football skills and student-athletes. And it has rivalries that are every bit as passionate as FBS.

POD Knows
April 8th, 2016, 09:41 AM
FCS football crowns a true champion but I am primarily a fan because it is the only game in town based on where I grew up. It feels like family, you know a lot of the people that attend the games because they are people you grew up with.

The product on the field for us has been very good for a long time and is a good value. I like the fact that these are true student athletes for the most part and commit the time and effort to simply play the game. Most have no shot at football after college, understand that but still bust their asses with all that is involved in being a full time student and an athlete at a high level.

Bison56
April 8th, 2016, 11:47 AM
Playoffs.

^This

OL FU
April 8th, 2016, 11:53 AM
I like it for the reason's mentioned above. Playoffs, student athletes. etc.
Interestingly enough though, one of the reason's I like it is the message boards:) no way you could pull off a FBS message board like thisxsmiley_wix

KPSUL
April 8th, 2016, 12:38 PM
I like the 5- 10 minute walk from my car to my seat in the stadium. I like having to actual do my own game analysis by discussing it with other fans in person and on message boards vs. getting spoon fed by the media. Like most everyone, I got into it because my school competes at this level, but over the years I just like FCS football and I attend several games a season that don't involve my alma mater. I like football in person more than TV and the smaller FCS stadiums give you a better view in most cases.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 8th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Damnit, these posts are all really great and OL FU just grabbed the one fairly original thought I had. I have gotten to meet in person and hang out and drink with people from all across this country...including OL FU. This just doesn't seem like it could happen up a level. There is a community...electronic and also real in this division.

I've said this before in threads about move ups and so forth but here is the reason:

We aren't given anything. We see cool things we like that are given to the corporate giants of the sport and if we want something like it we have to go out and make it, or make it happen ourselves.

That's what I really like on top of all the truly great posts above. I am invested in this thing from coast to f'n coast. I love my team, but I like yours too and hope you have the chance at the feelings I've had while watching my team play in truly big games in my lifetime.

IBleedYellow
April 8th, 2016, 01:13 PM
The players that play at the FCS may be one step slower, or one inch shorter, but they don't play like it.

The chip on their shoulders is amazing, and they play as a team.

Meeting a bunch of you idiots (Ursus, Citdog, Alpha, Southern Bison) and drinks with y'all is a nice perk.

Playoffs!

Model Citizen
April 8th, 2016, 01:17 PM
I don't. Hell no.

RootinFerDukes
April 8th, 2016, 01:28 PM
1) JMU is in the subdivision.
2) it is nice to have something meaningful to play for and the bowl games are certainly not meaningful.
3) it is nice to go to games and be surrounded by real college sports fans. Virginia tech and UVA have quite their share of Walmart fans and they're a sad bunch of fairweather fans.

Daytripper
April 8th, 2016, 01:34 PM
My Alma Mater is in the subdivision.

And PLAYOFFS.

Most all the other things that were pointed out previously.

Ivytalk
April 8th, 2016, 01:57 PM
I don't. Hell no.
You old phart! Is that Ralph Bellamy under those eyebrows?

WWII
April 8th, 2016, 02:28 PM
Honestly? Because it's the sub-division my team plays in. I followed DII football like crazy when NDSU was a part of it, now I don't give it an afterthought.

Ditto

catamount man
April 8th, 2016, 02:36 PM
I like the SoCon. I like FCS for the playoffs but mainly, it's the SoCon for me. The conference games are all within reasonable driving distance. The people as well are awesome, as all you guys are. GO CATS!

344Johnson
April 8th, 2016, 02:43 PM
I love the fcs because I live in Grand Forks and the teams who beat UND when I go watch them, Idaho St. for example, are FCS teams.

JSUSoutherner
April 8th, 2016, 02:43 PM
I like the FCS because it's on a smaller, less media crazed, scale.

There's a lot of SEC fans (and this fits a lot of FBS fan bases in general) here that are diehard for a school they never even attended or have any connection to and I hate that. It's not the case with FCS from what I can tell.

Plus, knocking big shot SoCon teams out of the playoffs is pretty fun. :D

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 8th, 2016, 02:50 PM
1. Playoffs
2. Playoffs
3. Playoffs.

100. Playoffs

101. The hodgepodge of different institutions. You have the Ivy League and the Patriot League and HBCUs playing alongside small liberal arts colleges and schools that average 20k a game. Though I would argue this creates an instability and has been a factor in certain schools deciding to move up, but it does give it a sort of charm.

Silenoz
April 8th, 2016, 03:06 PM
I'm from Missoula so...

Laker
April 8th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Playoffs

More football fan friendly- rather than catering to the fans who are just being stylish. These are true fans.

Chance to see local players who I may have seen compete in high school.

I didn't go to an FCS school, but I did watch several who I used to have my school compete against who moved up.

UNI-UNC-UND-NDSU-USD-SDSU used to come to Mankato- or I would go to those schools when the Mavs played there. I have met a lot of fans from those schools and I have a lot of fond memories.

Thumper 76
April 8th, 2016, 03:46 PM
There is a passion in the fan base without it being so big and chaotic that it's only an adult affair. Still has the tailgating fun and something of the big time feel too it without the commercialized feel. If I want that atmosphere I'll go watch a NFL game. Plus I went to school there for a moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKingpin28
April 8th, 2016, 04:27 PM
The playoffs and that the students stay to get a degree, not be a showboat in the NFL. They seem to have a love for football more than the P5 athletes.

Catsfan90
April 8th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Much more of a tight knit family, and I feel closer to the team. The FBS gets lost in billions of dollars, and massive stadiums. While the FCS has that feeling of the local boys.

Boogs
April 8th, 2016, 05:12 PM
I don't luv the FCS because like D3 with Mount Union and Wisconsin Whitewater, it's the same damn team that wins!

Where's the parity? If Georgia Southern and Old Dominion can make the move up, why can't NDSU and Mount Union do likewise?

There's no intrigue. It's boring like NBA basketball in the 1980s. The same damn teams (Boston/LA) win.

It's also boring and irritating to see the PFL play in vain for the opportunity to get their butts kicked in round 1, mind you even with home field advantage.

FCS is as exciting as a bullfight. The bull always loses (PFL) while the matador always wins (NDSU).

There's no parity in women's D1 basketball. That's another story but it's just as boring.

Herder
April 8th, 2016, 05:21 PM
I'm trying to understand how an IL school would really care at all about being at the FCS level? Have you ever got on a airplane to play the best the FCS has to offer? You could play your exclusive schedule in DII, DIII, FBS or any level. If you actually joined the FCS playoffs in an effort to move FCS football forward, then I'd understand. The SWAC and MEAC will at least step outside their comfort zone for a regular season game against good leagues outside their bus route.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 8th, 2016, 05:55 PM
I don't luv the FCS because like D3 with Mount Union and Wisconsin Whitewater, it's the same damn team that wins!

Where's the parity? If Georgia Southern and Old Dominion can make the move up, why can't NDSU and Mount Union do likewise?

There's no intrigue. It's boring like NBA basketball in the 1980s. The same damn teams (Boston/LA) win.

It's also boring and irritating to see the PFL play in vain for the opportunity to get their butts kicked in round 1, mind you even with home field advantage.

FCS is as exciting as a bullfight. The bull always loses (PFL) while the matador always wins (NDSU).

There's no parity in women's D1 basketball. That's another story but it's just as boring.

clenz said this was a bit of information for a project so if you don't like it then why not stay off it? If someone is trying to accomplish a task then it might be more helpful if you try and derail is the main point.

Heck, love the other viewpoint but maybe starting another thread on why you don't liek it it would work?

ursus arctos horribilis
April 8th, 2016, 05:58 PM
I'm trying to understand how an IL school would really care at all about being at the FCS level? Have you ever got on a airplane to play the best the FCS has to offer? You could play your exclusive schedule in DII, DIII, FBS or any level. If you actually joined the FCS playoffs in an effort to move FCS football forward, then I'd understand. The SWAC and MEAC will at least step outside their comfort zone for a regular season game against good leagues outside their bus route.

Same here, since it's for a project or whatever clenz is trying ot accomplish maybe leaving it focused for a day or two...and then we can all rip it to shreds?

Just asking, free to do whatever of course but I know from the past when I've tried to have a thread to actually accomplish a goal it is a whole lot better when either chip in or just refrain if they don't have anything on the topic at hand is why I mention it.xthumbsupx

bonarae
April 8th, 2016, 06:04 PM
As a general FCS fan (Harvard alone for most years, but since then I've diversified but have failed), all I can say that I still love the subdivision is that...

There is diversity all over the subdivision. You've got the playoff fighters (NDSU, Big Sky, PL, CAA, and many others), the supposed contenders who choose to stay away from the limelight that is the playoffs (Grambling/Southern U/other MEAC and SWAC, Ivies), and the outliers that cannot be fit in any other division (PFL and also the Ivies).

And the fans... need I say more about loyalty? I'm not fairweather, but I'm not critical either. And also no primadonna/Kool-Aid fans here... xtwocentsx

(FYI: I've tried to sign up at a D3 forum but for some reason it was not approved. For that reason I'm still staying here. xpeacex)

Sader87
April 8th, 2016, 06:17 PM
Not a huge fan of the playoffs, but the FCS schools player rostahs (by and large) are much more representative of the their respective student bodies than the at the FBS level. The teams truly are playing for their school and not some FBS head coach's multi-million dollar contract, players NFL aspirations etc.

Settings are usually much bettah than the FBS as others have stated. More intimate, more of an on-campus feel.

There's also more of a historical tradition/tie in the FCS (in the Northeast anyway)....Holy Cross-Dartmouth, Harvard-Yale, Lehigh-Lafayette, William&Mary-Richmond etc have been playing against one another for ovah a 100 years or more in some cases.

Basically, it's "true college football" as opposed to the "NFL Minor League" that a lot of the FBS has become.

Southern Bison
April 8th, 2016, 06:40 PM
The players that play at the FCS may be one step slower, or one inch shorter, but they don't play like it.

The chip on their shoulders is amazing, and they play as a team.

Meeting a bunch of you idiots (Ursus, Citdog, Alpha, Southern Bison) and drinks with y'all is a nice perk.

Playoffs!
I resemble that comment!

Seriously, there's a greater sense of family & respect that I have experienced from FCS fans. My travels to watch games across the Carolinas have introduced me to some great people & fellow AGS members even though showing up with my NDSU swag in full regalia.

20 or 24 team playoffs are what it's all about & it proves who earned the championship...not the quaint little 4-team B(c)S pageant.

NDSU and other FCS schools have proven there is little difference between FBS & FCS...22 scholarships less but more passion, heart, & drive to prove who plays the best football as a team.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

clenz
April 8th, 2016, 06:47 PM
This thread is perfect. It's exactly what I wanted. This instantly made my project eleventy billion times better but also much harder because now there is so much good material that I have to condense.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 8th, 2016, 07:26 PM
This thread is perfect. It's exactly what I wanted. This instantly made my project eleventy billion times better but also much harder because now there is so much good material that I have to condense.

Well, you don't need to condense. Let's talk via pm if you aren't putting out what it is for just yet. I know your concern and I have an answer for it I believe though is why I chip this in.

taper
April 8th, 2016, 07:42 PM
FCS players are here for the game, not the NFL exposure. Very few will play another snap after college, but many will play with or against someone who will.
True champion determined by full(nearly) division playoff.
Anybody can get tickets to at least one game of any school.

Bisonoline
April 8th, 2016, 07:52 PM
The Playoffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BisonTru
April 8th, 2016, 07:59 PM
I appreciate the FCS because it provides a level of football for institutions that want to be D1 in basketball but also want to sport football without trying to compete financially with the big boys.

ElCid
April 8th, 2016, 09:19 PM
Everyone has hit on the things I like here and there. I think I can sum it up for me by saying it has that authentic hometown feel about it. Some FBS may have that, but it is by and large felt more by the FCS. It is more real at the FCS level and less artificially created by some scheming PR department.

Southern Bison
April 8th, 2016, 11:25 PM
Everyone has hit on the things I like here and there. I think I can sum it up for me by saying it has that authentic hometown feel about it. Some FBS may have that, but it is by and large felt more by the FCS. It is more real at the FCS level and less artificially created by some scheming PR department.
There is truth that some FBS also has that hometown feel (Tuscaloosa AL, Baton Rouge LA, Clemson SC, Columbia SC, Blacksburg VA) but on the same coin, those same schools have bigger stadiums than NFL teams and there is a lack of "family" or closeness amongst fans because of the 80-100k stadiums.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 8th, 2016, 11:25 PM
I remember watching YSU and Marshall battle it out in the early 1990's for the title. Despite Lehigh not being eligible for the playoffs the fact their was a true title game sparked my interested. Once the PL entered the playoffs in 1997 my interest grew substantially. Now it's a true passion of mine.

I love attending games where you can get a good seat but still have a quality, exciting atmosphere. Lehigh's ties to the Ivy League has taken me to some awesome schools. There a few better places in the country to spend a fall Saturday than a bucolic college campus in the Northeast.

I've been to about 200-250 Lehigh games in my life but less than 20 Temple contests. That ratio likely won't change much.....

dewey
April 9th, 2016, 12:40 AM
2 reasons mainly:

Because the champion is decided on the field in a playoff system.

Because, for the incredibly vast majority, the players aren't prima donnas worried more about their brand and their stats than their team's results on the fields.

This and it is the division NDSU is in.

Dewey

UncleBuck
April 9th, 2016, 07:23 AM
Some reasons I like FCS:

Playoffs, I will also check out lower division playoffs as well, but kind of getting tired of Mt. Union and Wisconsin-Whitewater. The FBS has gotten more interesting with their four team playoff.
Athletes, for the most part that have no shot at NFL. Playing the game for love of the game, or using an athletic scholarship for an education for non-football career.
I actually like to google FCS programs and have to dig for information about them instead of just watching Sportscenter.
My local FBS team has a looonnnggg history of sucking. My FCS team is in a golden age.
The annual watch for FCS teams beating FBS teams, I'll even cheer for our rival UNI against FBS teams.
FCS fans, they are just as passionate about their teams as any other sports fans, some are over the top, and I love hearing other teams fans rip other fanbases as inbred rubes while their little corner of the universe is the cultural, athletic, and intelligent center of the universe, and their team is like no other team my team has ever played. Yeah, smack talk is hilarious.
ESPN3 allows me too see all kinds of teams I couldn't see just a few years ago.

RichH2
April 9th, 2016, 01:46 PM
Not a huge fan of the playoffs, but the FCS schools player rostahs (by and large) are much more representative of the their respective student bodies than the at the FBS level. The teams truly are playing for their school and not some FBS head coach's multi-million dollar contract, players NFL aspirations etc.

Settings are usually much bettah than the FBS as others have stated. More intimate, more of an on-campus feel.

There's also more of a historical tradition/tie in the FCS (in the Northeast anyway)....Holy Cross-Dartmouth, Harvard-Yale, Lehigh-Lafayette, William&Mary-Richmond etc have been playing against one another for ovah a 100 years or more in some cases.

Basically, it's "true college football" as opposed to the "NFL Minor League" that a lot of the FBS has become.
+1

Bisonator
April 10th, 2016, 04:25 PM
1. It's where my team plays.

2. The playoff system allows the teams to decide it on the field.

3. Regional rivalries in conference plus developing national ones thru the PO's and OOC games.

UNIFanSince1983
April 11th, 2016, 01:17 PM
If I am open an honest I am only an FCS fan because that is where UNI plays. If UNI didn't play FCS there is no chance I am a fan, and a pretty decent chance I am one of those fans that we despise that knows nothing about it.

gregatim
April 11th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Number 1 reason, my alma mater and favorite college football team play FCS football, and play it quite well I might add. Number 2 reason, playoffs.

AmsterBison
April 11th, 2016, 01:51 PM
1. I'm an NDSU fan more than an FCS fan. That said, I still watch D2 games.
2. The FCS does the playoffs much better than D2, D3, and the FBS.

REALBird
April 11th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Playoffs
The NCAA actually awards a trophy, not Dr. Pepper.
Neutral Site - Fixed Location
Everyone doesn't get a trophy (or get to go to a Bowl Game)....some good teams actually get left at home.

Twentysix
April 11th, 2016, 03:27 PM
The team I care most about plays at this level. Lets be real, if NDSU moved to a different level I wouldn't follow the FCS very much anymore.

I like the playoff system a lot though.

Hammerhead
April 11th, 2016, 04:20 PM
My favorite team is in the FCS
FCS isn't a minor leauge for the NFL. A small percentage of FCS athletes go pro.
Playoffs crown a true champion -- not just people voting for the top 4 (or top 2 in the past).

ngineer
April 11th, 2016, 04:39 PM
I see FCS as the best combination of student-athletes playing in a system that is not primarily viewed as a "minor league" for the NFL--where in the FBS, being a football player is treated like a full-time job and don't let those studies get in the way of why you are on campus.

Costs are kept within a much more reasonable framework and the playoff system is much more interesting.

Go...gate
April 11th, 2016, 11:34 PM
Not much I can add, - I agree with everything else that has been said - but I prefer watching true student-athletes play college football on a very high level before highly knowledgeable fans in a family-friendly atmosphere, and this is the norm throughout FCS/I-AA.

dgtw
April 12th, 2016, 09:39 PM
I hope this isn't too late to be in clenz's doctoral dissertation.

First, I'll say I grew up a big fan of an FBS school that my parents attended. I did follow and support a local DII school, but was always passionate about Alabama.

Then I met and married a Jax State grad, who wa truly passionate about her alma mater. I went to a small private school that did not have football (I hated the place), so I adopted her school as my own.

I do like the fact the FCS has playoffs. I like being able to say you are the officially recognized NCAA champion, which is not the case in the FBS.

I like the ease of getting in and out of an FCS stadium. I like the low ticket prices. I like the more communal feel at a game and not a mass of 100,000 people.

Yes, I still cheer for Alabama and yell "Roll Tide" and wear Bama gear. (Though not at Jax State games). But I'd probably say my favorite team has a big rooster for their mascot.

Clenz, I hope you share your finished project with us, whatever it is.

clenz
April 13th, 2016, 08:55 AM
I hope this isn't too late to be in clenz's doctoral dissertation.

First, I'll say I grew up a big fan of an FBS school that my parents attended. I did follow and support a local DII school, but was always passionate about Alabama.

Then I met and married a Jax State grad, who wa truly passionate about her alma mater. I went to a small private school that did not have football (I hated the place), so I adopted her school as my own.

I do like the fact the FCS has playoffs. I like being able to say you are the officially recognized NCAA champion, which is not the case in the FBS.

I like the ease of getting in and out of an FCS stadium. I like the low ticket prices. I like the more communal feel at a game and not a mass of 100,000 people.

Yes, I still cheer for Alabama and yell "Roll Tide" and wear Bama gear. (Though not at Jax State games). But I'd probably say my favorite team has a big rooster for their mascot.

Clenz, I hope you share your finished project with us, whatever it is.
In the works.

Longer than I thought.

All 3 or 4 parts will be shared

GManFromTigerland
April 14th, 2016, 06:54 PM
I've been following some FCS teams mostly SWAC and ArkLaMiss teams since before I knew their were conferences and divisions. As I grew older and learned the football history of some FCS teams my love grew more. My family played at FCS teams including Grambling, Southern, McNeese, Jackson State & Northwestern and I followed and went on to the G myself. Now I love the FCS because of the homie feeling I get with being around FCS teams. I work at LSU, follow LSU football and the FBS but my heart is in FCS. The grind of the FCS just seems more realistic while the FBS is commercialized. FBS = McDonald's
FCS = Soulfood

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

GAD
April 14th, 2016, 09:12 PM
Southern is here
The SWAC is here

DoWe
April 14th, 2016, 09:38 PM
My reason:
FCS is true college football. I don't disapprove of all P5s, or many G5s, just most.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 14th, 2016, 10:44 PM
I've been following some FCS teams mostly SWAC and ArkLaMiss teams since before I knew their were conferences and divisions. As I grew older and learned the football history of some FCS teams my love grew more. My family played at FCS teams including Grambling, Southern, McNeese, Jackson State & Northwestern and I followed and went on to the G myself. Now I love the FCS because of the homie feeling I get with being around FCS teams. I work at LSU, follow LSU football and the FBS but my heart is in FCS. The grind of the FCS just seems more realistic while the FBS is commercialized. FBS = McDonald's
FCS = Soulfood

xlolx

That's pretty good.xthumbsupx

RichH2
April 15th, 2016, 11:45 AM
FCS = Soulfood

Couldn't have summed it up better. :):)

BisonFan02
April 15th, 2016, 12:16 PM
Piss walls.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 15th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Piss walls.

Yeah, MSU's is pretty cool.

https://scswraps.com/wp-content/gallery/msu-football-locker-room/WallWrap_3_Web.jpg

Nickels
April 15th, 2016, 01:25 PM
One of the things I love about FCS is the fans. Most are connected to their respective Us in some type of way. This makes for a lack of unaffiliated douchebags you see following the P5 programs.

mvemjsunpx
April 15th, 2016, 01:30 PM
Yeah, MSU's is pretty cool.

https://scswraps.com/wp-content/gallery/msu-football-locker-room/WallWrap_3_Web.jpg

My piss deserves better. xcoffeex

ursus arctos horribilis
April 15th, 2016, 01:33 PM
My piss deserves better. xcoffeex

Yes, but when you are drunk...you are willing to let it slide.

RootinFerDukes
April 15th, 2016, 10:34 PM
It's the only subdivision where teams downgrade the size of their previous stadium to build a really nice high school track facility. It's where you can downsize in an attempt to make it harder for larger visiting fan bases to buy up most of your stadium and make it a home game away from home.

Bisonoline
April 15th, 2016, 10:52 PM
It's the only subdivision where teams downgrade the size of their previous stadium to build a really nice high school track facility. It's where you can downsize in an attempt to make it harder for larger visiting fan bases to buy up most of your stadium and make it a home game away from home.

I dont think Ive ever heard that before. So dont know if serious?

NY Crusader 2010
April 17th, 2016, 11:17 AM
I dont think Ive ever heard that before. So dont know if serious?

**cough** RICHMOND **cough**

Sader87
April 17th, 2016, 12:57 PM
**cough** RICHMOND **cough**

Careful, Fitton may be next.

I'd actually prefer that I think. Just don't evah see another 20K+ crowd at Fitton. BC will more than likely nevah return there, doubtful any other FBS team either....no other FCS opponent is going to draw ovah 20K at Fitton in today's world imo.

Wouldn't mind seeing a more intimate 12-15K Fitton.

NY Crusader 2010
April 17th, 2016, 08:55 PM

I'd actually prefer that I think. Just don't evah see another 20K+ crowd at Fitton. BC will more than likely nevah return there, doubtful any other FBS team either....no other FCS opponent is going to draw ovah 20K at Fitton in today's world imo.

I'd like to see the end zone stands torn down and replaced with modern locker rooms and football/baseball offices. IIRC the main obstacle to changing anything would be ADA regulations which would require us to renovate the remainder of the stadium as well.

Our official capacity now is 23,000 and there is no plausible scenario at this point in time that could see us come anywhere near that number. We got a couple of 13-14K Homecoming crowds against UMass and Harvard in 2008 & 2009 respectively (the UMass game in '08 was also the opener -- talk about putting all your eggs in one basket). We also got about 12K for the UMass and UNH night games in 2011 and 2012.

Casey_Orourke
April 19th, 2016, 02:35 AM
I like the FCS over the FBS because the kids who play there have no allusions of going professional unless they are exceptionally good. They are playing for the true fun of the game. Most of the kids who come to FCS schools are coming for the education they will get. Bruce Barnum said before he knew he had the job permanently, that he sold the school and the opportunities that going to Portland State offered.

Gil Dobie
April 19th, 2016, 10:51 AM
I follow the Bison, and I'm glad FCS has a playoff system.

Go...gate
April 20th, 2016, 03:26 PM

Colgate downsized a little in 1991, going from 12,500 to 10,221 (and capacity is now probably slightly under 10,000, since end zone bleachers have been removed). Has not detracted from the setting at all - in fact, it is nice to no longer have splinters from the old wooden seats! HC may find that a moderate downsizing or reconfiguration works out well for them.

RichH2
April 20th, 2016, 04:07 PM
No downsizig planned for Lehigh. Taking proposals now for upgrades to Goodman. Other than a renovated pressbox not sure.about what else may appear on the agenda.