PDA

View Full Version : Championship game experience

Umass74
December 17th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Got back late last night from Chattanooga.

Well, it was a lot of work getting to the game, but it was worth it. The Mocs have a nice stadium. Better than McGuirk. Of course it looks a lot newer.

The best pre-game activity was the UMass and Appalachian band concerts in the pavilion. That was very nice. The other activities were OK if you were a student, but they did not have much for us older grads.

The door prizes could use an upgrade. At a UMass basketball game if you get picked and you hit a layup, a foul shot and a three pointer in 30 seconds, you get a shot from half court------for a new car. Even if you don't make it, you get two airline tickets. At the National Championship game, you had to throw a football into a car window from various distances. If you win------you get a NCAA football. Be still my heart.

There was a pretty good UMass contingent at the game. We flew home a different route and there was Maroon & White on all four flights. We were outnumbered at the game, but we made plenty of noise. There were far more UMies than in 98 and hopefully we will build on that for future games.

Had fun talking to Appalachian fans who were mostly friendly. We got yelled at after the game on the way to our car, but you have to cut them some slack. They won.

The funniest moment was when a female Mountaineer fan ran onto the field. The game security folks were totally surprised. She even had time to chat with officials. Took them a long time to get a cop. The Appy fans gave her a big hand :)

As for the game itself, the Mountaineers won and they deserved to win. They played a near flawless game. Only one turnover. Their kicker is awesome. He boomed kicks into the back of the endzone on very kick.

I had seen a couple of the Mountaineer's games on TV, but they are much more impressive in person. Excellent team speed.

The game itself was pretty even. The last Appalachian drive with about eight minutes to go was the killer. That was a championship drive. I have not had time to look at a tape of the game so I don't know what the announcers said. The Mountaineers were better. They deserved to win. We just did not do enough on offense. Seventeen points won't get it done against a team as good as Appalachian.

So, congrats to the Mountaineers. I encourage all the AGS people if your team makes it to Chattanooga to go even though it's a lot of work just before Christmas.

chattanoogamocs
December 17th, 2006, 05:22 PM
I think you missed part of the announcement...they had individual prizes for each throw (5 yards, 15 yards, 30 yards)...but if you got all three passes thru the car window...you won the car (of course, throwing a nerf 30 yards and thru a small window is almost impossible).

ASUSig
December 17th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I was at the NC game and I must say, UMASS fans were much nicer than UNI fans. Last year I walked up to some UNI fans after the game to congratulate them on making the show and to try and show good sportsmanship because they did have it ripped from them you know, they told me to f&@k off. UMASS fans actually came up to me and said congratulations. To me, thats character and UMASS showed great character after the lose. We have a saying here at App. "Act like champions" well I must say UMASS (even though they lost) acted like a true champion. Hats off to you guys and good luck next year!

Umass74
December 17th, 2006, 05:43 PM
I think you missed part of the announcement...they had individual prizes for each throw (5 yards, 15 yards, 30 yards)...but if you got all three passes thru the car window...you won the car (of course, throwing a nerf 30 yards and thru a small window is almost impossible).

Sorry, my bad. I was not the only one who missed it. All the UMass fans were say "Boy, that's a crappy prize" My apologies to Chevy or whoever was running the event. :rotateh:

Nobody even won any of the lesser prizes, right? One guy almost got it in the window.

MrEvents
December 17th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Sorry, my bad. I was not the only one who missed it. All the UMass fans were say "Boy, that's a crappy prize" My apologies to Chevy or whoever was running the event. :rotateh:

Nobody even won any of the lesser prizes, right? One guy almost got it in the window.

Pontiac and Coke did the contests.

appsfan
December 17th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I had a super time at the NC. Was that one heck of a tailgate or what? I only had one bad experience with a UMass fan, but I won't go into the details, as the rest were OK. After the game, walking off the field, we passed by some UMass fans (in their 50'sor 60's) who were very complementary- showing good class. I was disappointed in the sound system in the stadium as it sucked. I thouhgt the screwed up the awards ceremony as they were still setting of firewoeks as thr tropghy was awarde. Overall, I found Chattanooga to be a very welcoming place to us football fans.

MrEvents
December 17th, 2006, 08:14 PM
The sound system should be replaced soon. And I also agree that the fireworks should have ended before awarding the trophy. I'm sure that will also be addressed since all of the NCAA Front Office was on the Stage. Last year there was no Post Game Ceremony due to the rowdiness of the fans. I was determined that we would have one this year and worked with the Sports Committee and the NCAA to make it happen. I provided the Stage, padded it for safety, made it look decent. I added the confetti and made sure I had school colors for both teams available. We couldn't load the launchers until the very last minutes since it was such a close game.

MrEvents

December 17th, 2006, 08:33 PM
The App St band played through half the trophy ceremony even though Coach Moore asked them to stop.

DrG
December 17th, 2006, 08:59 PM
I second what UMass74 said. Mr. Events, congrats to Chattanooga for another great time. I'd love to see Finley expanded, though maybe UTC needs to become a power for that to happen. Anyway, the only bummer for me was the final score. I had great conversations with the local fans as well as the App fans and I look forward to coming back soon.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
December 17th, 2006, 09:20 PM
The App St band played through half the trophy ceremony even though Coach Moore asked them to stop.

When I was there two years ago we weren't even aware there was a trophy ceremony because it just looked like a mob was on the field. They need to have a better presentation set up

MR. CHICKEN
December 17th, 2006, 09:24 PM
2003...LOOKED SOMETHIN'...LIKE DIS:

December 17th, 2006, 09:48 PM
2003...LOOKED SOMETHIN'...LIKE DIS:Hey! That pic cut off half of CSN columnist Bruce Dowd's face!! xlolx

SoCon48
December 17th, 2006, 10:16 PM

It was about time they got to play since they got absolutely no half time opportunity.
Lot of expense for the university to transport and seat over 250 band members and their equipment and be relegated to the stands.

SoCon48
December 17th, 2006, 10:17 PM
When I was there two years ago we weren't even aware there was a trophy ceremony because it just looked like a mob was on the field. They need to have a better presentation set up
The entire field was covered with fans this time, too.

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 17th, 2006, 10:24 PM
It was about time they got to play since they got absolutely no half time opportunity.
Lot of expense for the university to transport and seat over 250 band members and their equipment and be relegated to the stands.
In 2004, both bands played at the half....granted it was only one number....definitely no chance of playing post game as the field was a big party.......

crunifan
December 17th, 2006, 10:51 PM
I was at the NC game and I must say, UMASS fans were much nicer than UNI fans. Last year I walked up to some UNI fans after the game to congratulate them on making the show and to try and show good sportsmanship because they did have it ripped from them you know, they told me to f&@k off. UMASS fans actually came up to me and said congratulations. To me, thats character and UMASS showed great character after the lose. We have a saying here at App. "Act like champions" well I must say UMASS (even though they lost) acted like a true champion. Hats off to you guys and good luck next year!

I don't mean to start an argument, but realize that a few fans don't represent an entire school, as you should know. App. State fans weren't the kindest to me last year and I'm not going to go say "so and so has better fans."

BigApp
December 17th, 2006, 11:09 PM
the fireworks display was also occuring during the trophy presentation. The whole postgame ceremony was bush league, IMHO

Mountaineer#96
December 17th, 2006, 11:35 PM
the fireworks display was also occuring during the trophy presentation. The whole postgame ceremony was bush league, IMHO
I agree, it was like high school almost ............... pretty stupid :nonono2:

chattanoogamocs
December 17th, 2006, 11:38 PM
All the officials new the fireworks were going to happen (it was in the paper, on the official schedule, etc, etc...it is was not like they were a surprise)...I am not sure why they didn't just wait the extra 5 minutes until the fireworks were over to start the presentation...it is not like it was being televised live...nor did all the celebrating ASU fans have a plane to catch as soon as the game was over :)

I am all for just letting the fans celebrate down on the field, but unlike a couple of years ago when only a 1,000 or so would come down (I have been on the field photographing most of them), now everyone does...which makes it hard to have an awards presentation period.

Honestly, I am not sure what the answer is to that...nor I am sure what the solution is to people cutting up the turf each year (I just hope a couple of bad apples don't make it where there are couple hundred security people...keeping everyone off the field).

chattanoogamocs
December 17th, 2006, 11:46 PM
BTW...(as an unbiased participant) I saw more "trouble" last year between ASU and UNI fans...I think that comes with the fact that there were just a lot more UNI fans (make the numbers more even)...I think that with a smaller group of fans (like UMass), they are probably less likely to start anything...not as much "backup" to give people "bravery" :)

This group seemed pretty well behaved overall.

The only two big problems I saw were that there were not enough gates open in the front (the lines were empty on the sides and north...the south gate had people miss the first two minutes or so of the game)...that will definitely be taken care of next year (this was the first year for ticket scanners...which they will have more of next year).

...and the security needs to be paying more attention to the stands during the game (so someone can not run out on to the field unimpeded)...all the security seemed to be standing in groups down at the endzones. That will also be remedied.

crunifan
December 18th, 2006, 01:05 AM
How come UMass didn't have that many people? UNI was way outnumbered last year (even though I thought we had an amazing turnout for the distance), so it seems weird to hear we outnumbered UMass.

Amherst is only a couple hours futher away from Chattanooga than Cedar Falls, and after you drive for over 12 hours what is the difference? xlolx

But, if what you say is true, then maybe it had to do with the fact that last year it was the first time for both Appalachain State and UNI to be there, where as this year both teams had gone before?

chattanoogamocs
December 18th, 2006, 02:02 AM
But, if what you say is true, then maybe it had to do with the fact that last year it was the first time for both Appalachain State and UNI to be there, where as this year both teams had gone before?

Good point.

Griswold
December 18th, 2006, 07:38 AM
How come UMass didn't have that many people? UNI was way outnumbered last year (even though I thought we had an amazing turnout for the distance), so it seems weird to hear we outnumbered UMass.

Amherst is only a couple hours futher away from Chattanooga than Cedar Falls, and after you drive for over 12 hours what is the difference? xlolx

The UMass fans I talked to were great before and after the game! :hurray:

One reason there may not have been as many UMass fans is because they were still having exams. One UMass student I talked to during the tailgate said that he skipped an exam to make it to the game. :rotateh:

If it wasn't for the beer and food in the pavilion there really wasn't much to do before the game. The pavilion was dead before the bands came in. All the real fun was made by the fans in the parking lots!

PantherRob82
December 18th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Met a lot of great ASU fans last year. Also got flipped off, shoved, had beverages thrown all over my car and had people trying to pick fights with me. This as I was walking to my car and only say "good game" and "congrats".

Every team has bad fans. I'm sure the championship brings even more of them out.

DrG
December 18th, 2006, 01:54 PM

Actually, our turnout was much better than in '98, when we had next to no UMass fans watching us win our first NC. Finals may have had something to do with it, although that didn't stop the losers who rioted back on campus. Basically, what it comes down to is people just aren't as passionate about football in New England as in other parts of the country. On the bowl level, BC fans have a well-deserved reputation for not "traveling well," which cost them a trip to a better bowl this year. The misbehavior of some idiot students aside (and we need to deal with that), the buzz around UMass football this year was much improved, and we hope to build on that in future years.

lizrdgizrd
December 18th, 2006, 04:03 PM
...and the security needs to be paying more attention to the stands during the game (so someone can not run out on to the field unimpeded)...all the security seemed to be standing in groups down at the endzones. That will also be remedied.
I think you should plan for the fans to get on the field rather than try to keep them off. Maybe have the security guys herd them in the direction of the end zone that is least likely to be entered by players and just keep them held back until it's over.

As for the ceremony, maybe work out some sort of mobile stage that can be driven or towed out onto the field. Just have those security folks that were herding the fans move into the middle of the field and make a hole to drive the stage in. Don't know if it's doable, but it'd be a good way to wait out the fireworks and the band leaders would be more likely to see that a presentation is going on. :twocents:

MYTAPPY
December 18th, 2006, 04:21 PM
The Hats they handed out to the players afterwards...how do I get a hold of one? They are not on goasu.

KAUMASS
December 18th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Game Experience notes: Hat's off to Appalachian State. They earned it. First time all year I saw UMass's defense tired in the 4th quarter. That drive in the fourth quarter showed a lot of character for Appalalachian. I was waiting for a turnover, and we almost got in on the option play when the ball was on the ground, but it was an unfriendly bounce back to App. State. What could have been..
I flew in to Nashville on Friday and drove 2 hrs to the game. Arrived about 6 pm and met some former teammates at the UMass alumni tent, after walking past a sea black and gold of Appalachian fans. What's up with the time zone change in Tennessee in the middle of the state? Anyhow, great atmosphere, loudest 25k people in a stadium I have ever heard. Nice stadium, probably could have sold 40,000 tickets if the stadium was bigger. Appalachian fans were respectful. I even ran into some Montana people who made the trip..they said they did not buy the tickets before the UMass-Montana game..Believe it or not, with the integrity of Montana fans and their program, I actually believe them. The Golden Knight parachutes were cool, the F-18 in the dark with the afterburner was awesome!! Anyhow, as much as I hate to see UMass lose, I cannot find any reason not to cheer for Appalachian State in the future, as long as it is not against an A-10(Colonial conference now) team. This was my first trip to Chattanooga. If you have never been and your team is in the game, you have to go, period..if you get there later in the day, just park in the parking garage about 1/2 mile away downtown, near the Marriot. Streets are heavily congested near the stadium and you won't find any decent parking near the stadium. Flights in to Chattanooga or Atlanta from smaller city airports(like Bradley Int. Airport, Hartford) were pricy. I got the best deal flying into Nashville(about $1,000 difference) and driving 2 hrs to the game. It is an all interstate drive to Chattanooga, just watch out for the time change in the middle of the state!..Good luck in 2007 to all. I'm glad I got to see it.

Mountain Panther
December 18th, 2006, 07:06 PM

Sorry to hear that. I apologize on their behalf.

MrEvents
December 18th, 2006, 07:53 PM
What's up with the time zone change in Tennessee in the middle of the state? It is an all interstate drive to Chattanooga, just watch out for the time change in the middle of the state!

Actually, you went thru the very northwest corner of Georgia on your way to Chattanooga, which is where the Eastern Time Zone boundry is located. Our state is basically a rectangle and Chattanooga is located in the southeastern corner, not the middle. Nashville, in the middle of the state, is northwest of us. The Georgia State Line is about 1 mile south of Finley Stadium.

On a side note, because of geography, some choose to play Mega Millions AND Powerball here.xidiotx

SoCon48
December 19th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Pontiac and Coke did the contests.

Like my free lanyard Pontiac ID/ticket holder.

SoCon48
December 19th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Met a lot of great ASU fans last year. Also got flipped off, shoved, had beverages thrown all over my car and had people trying to pick fights with me. This as I was walking to my car and only say "good game" and "congrats".

Every team has bad fans. I'm sure the championship brings even more of them out.

A lot of the so called "ASU" fans were local redneck Chattanooga locals.

SoCon48
December 19th, 2006, 09:47 AM
BTW...(as an unbiased participant) I saw more "trouble" last year between ASU and UNI fans...I think that comes with the fact that there were just a lot more UNI fans (make the numbers more even)...I think that with a smaller group of fans (like UMass), they are probably less likely to start anything...not as much "backup" to give people "bravery" :)

This group seemed pretty well behaved overall.

The only two big problems I saw were that there were not enough gates open in the front (the lines were empty on the sides and north...the south gate had people miss the first two minutes or so of the game)...that will definitely be taken care of next year (this was the first year for ticket scanners...which they will have more of next year).

UMass fans can all be grateful they weren't back home at the campus riot.

PantherRob82
December 19th, 2006, 11:55 AM

With NC plates and wearing ASU gear? xlolx

lizrdgizrd
December 19th, 2006, 01:02 PM
With NC plates and wearing ASU gear? xlolx
They'll go to no end to impersonate ASU folks! :smiley_wi xlolx

atlGAmocs
December 19th, 2006, 04:02 PM

:nono: Leave the insults off the football board. Chattanoogans put a lot into hosting the FCS NC. This is a difficult task, especially in an area where SEC and BCS football reign supreme.

Umass74
December 19th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I talked to several people wearing Mocs sweatshirts and they were real nice folks. :hurray:

Sir William
December 19th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Chatty has been a great home for the championship. Great people, great hospitality. Hope it stays there for the next 20 years. :thumbsup:

MrEvents
December 19th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Chatty has been a great home for the championship. Great people, great hospitality. Hope it stays there for the next 20 years. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the criticisms and the compliments. I can take both of those, the other I just ignore.

We all work very hard here to make it an experience of a lifetime, especially for the players. There are still a few things that have to be addressed and improved. Some issues are basic while others are specific to a sellout crowd. This year the weather was about as perfect as you could ask for. Next year we could have just the opposite and have ice and/or snow. We could also have two teams with very little fan support or we could have ASU and Montana.

Another thing to remember is that we don't know which two teams are coming until the Saturday afternoon/evening prior to the game the following Friday. This gives us from Monday morning until Thursday evening to get certain things like linens and confetti together in team colors, etc. and in our hands. Not always easy to do but we seem to make it happen.

There is always room for improvement but overall I think we do a pretty good job. Now if we could just get the App State fans to stop cutting our turf, things would be great. That issue I just don't understand.

appsfan
December 19th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Ditto the remarks of Sir William.

December 19th, 2006, 07:48 PM
... Now if we could just get the App State fans to stop cutting our turf, things would be great. That issue I just don't understand.Maybe give out free pieces of turf at the game?

james_lawfirm
December 19th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the criticisms and the compliments. I can take both of those, the other I just ignore.

We all work very hard here to make it an experience of a lifetime, especially for the players. There are still a few things that have to be addressed and improved. Some issues are basic while others are specific to a sellout crowd. This year the weather was about as perfect as you could ask for. Next year we could have just the opposite and have ice and/or snow. We could also have two teams with very little fan support or we could have ASU and Montana.

Another thing to remember is that we don't know which two teams are coming until the Saturday afternoon/evening prior to the game the following Friday. This gives us from Monday morning until Thursday evening to get certain things like linens and confetti together in team colors, etc. and in our hands. Not always easy to do but we seem to make it happen.

There is always room for improvement but overall I think we do a pretty good job. Now if we could just get the App State fans to stop cutting our turf, things would be great. That issue I just don't understand.

I was at the game. Had a great time tailgaiting & thought Chattanooga really rolled out the red carpet for us. Would have loved to played Montana, but that did not work out. As far as I am concerned, Chatty can keep hosting until it wants to stop.

As far as the turf issue, that has got to be the goofiest thing for a fan to do. I did not see anyone cutting the turf this year or last year, but I understand it happened both years. I suggest having the Nat'l Guard there in attendance throw baseballs at any fan seen damaging any part of the field. Those caught could then be arrested and charged with damage to real property. Spending the night in jail should be a deterrent. The troopers seemed to guard the goal posts well enough. Recognizing that policing the field is almost impossible with all the folks on it, would it help if the organizers offered to sell parts of the field (prepared well in advance of course) to anyone who is interested? Nah, that just sounds stupid, which is why I don't understand how this happened in the first place.

But, all things considered, Chatty was well-organized & enjoyable. Thanks to all who made it happen. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

mistersykes
December 19th, 2006, 08:24 PM
I don't understand the fascination with destroying property for souvineers. The people doing that deserve to pay for their damages. How to enforce such a thing, I have no idea.

MrEvents
December 19th, 2006, 09:22 PM
I don't understand the fascination with destroying property for souvineers. The people doing that deserve to pay for their damages. How to enforce such a thing, I have no idea.

I have no involvement or say-so in Security issues but here are my personal feelings and my own opinion:

The Perps are (unfortunately) going to ruin the ability to celebrate on the field for future fans by continuing to damage our turf. The Goal Posts were a non-factor this year with a little help from the Marine Reserves and local Law Enforcement. I imagine we can get a few more reinforcements if we ask.

While someone else on this board mentioned the "Win Like Champions, Act Like Champions" slogan, two of us actually posted this on a 4' x 8' sign on a scissor lift in the Pavilion. On top of the lift were two Chattanooga Police Officers. The intended message was exactly what it said and was our response and our's alone to last years turf damage, taunting, unruly fans keeping us from doing the Post-Game Trophy Presentation, and fan behavior in general. I think that slogan should be used in the future and on more than a single sign as a reminder to, as Coach Paul Bryant used to say,"act like you've been there before."

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 19th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I have attended the last two NC games in Chattanooga. I rate last year's experience as one of the top 10 sporting event atmosphere's that I have attended (vs. Master's Practice Round, NCAA Basketball tourney's, NCAA women's championships, NASCAR <including Bristol>, NFL, NBA, US Open <golf>, numerous PGA event's, etc.)
While the first one is always the sweetest, this year was great as well.

My thoughts:
Positives:
Finley Stadium--right size, right amount of amenities, tailgating (informal and First Tennessee Pavillion), scoreboard (like the yardage totals)
Chattanooga itself--good location, close to downtown. Cops are there, but not overbearing
Pre-game--paratroopers, national anthem flyover, etc
Concessions--Affordable, readily available
Announcer--Gets excited for both teams

There is no way that I would ever consider a non-BCS bowl game to trump the overall Chattanooga Title game experience

Improvements--While the sound system was OK last year (we sat near the scoreboard, it was weak this year. Test the wireless mikes before use.
Stadium Entry--Long lines 15-30 minutes b4 kickoff. Need more gates open prior to kickoff

Final notes--You put on a great event Mr. Events.:thumbsup:
No complaints about either UNI or UMASS fans (although, I thought the UNI game was a little better due to the size of their crowd and the back and forth that came with it)
Thankfully, we were not bombarded with NCAA championship ads for other sports during the game (last year was overkill)
My only complaint directed towards UMASS--#36 for your team took several shots at App fans who were taking the field (but not instigating anything with him) We watched him trip two fans, intentionally move in front of others, and throw an elbow at another fan. I realize that it's a competitive game, and that one player's action is not a reflection on your team and school, but this guys is a JERK. Hopefully, he's a senior and will not represent your school going forward.

The fans cutting up the turf is idiotic. IT IS A GREAT EXPERIENCE (and unique) to head down on the turf and savor the championship, take pictures, etc.

GO APPS!!!

chattanoogamocs
December 19th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Frank Burke, who runs/owns BellSouth (AA Cincinnati) and has a contract to run Finley posts on our board from time to time...he said just today that there would definitely be a new scoreboard next year (and I assume a new speaker system to go with it). The sad truth is, the speaker sound fine at UC games with 9,000 or less...but with 22,000+ it was drowned out.

And not having all gates open was another thing that will not happen again. They started using the scanner system...but they only had 7 of them and vastly underestimated how many people would print their tickets off the internet. All that will be remedied.

appfan2008
December 20th, 2006, 12:08 AM
The television screen in the endzone does need to be enlarged... I couldnt see anything on it

chattanoogamocs
December 20th, 2006, 02:20 AM
The television screen in the endzone does need to be enlarged... I couldnt see anything on it

Unfortunately, I don't think that part will get changed, it is only a year old (it was installed right before last years game)...I believe it is 20 feet by 20 feet...and it is as large as the space can hold.

Lizzie_ASUband
December 20th, 2006, 08:42 AM
ralph,
we couldn't hear or see squat. no one could see or hear coach moore, not even tobias. just so everyone knows, its not something we did on purpose. we had no cues or anything telling us not to play.

james_lawfirm
December 20th, 2006, 11:36 AM
ralph,
we couldn't hear or see squat. no one could see or hear coach moore, not even tobias. just so everyone knows, its not something we did on purpose. we had no cues or anything telling us not to play.

I thought the band sounded GREAT even though I was on the same side of the stadium but on the other 15 yard line as the band. The half time show was too short. The UMass band may have had more members (but not by many), but ASU's band sounded WAAAYYYYY better. Good job!

tralfangar
December 20th, 2006, 12:55 PM
I thought during the game our band sounded way better, but at the half I liked UMass' show better. Sure it was a different style...jazz maybe? and they seem to have received a larger time slot, but I was just impressed with how together their entire band was...including the flaggirls. I don't consider myself an expert on marching bands so take that fwiw. Either way our band dominated the in-game playing quality-wise.

BestOfBreed
December 20th, 2006, 02:12 PM
I didn't see this posted anywhere else but here's 3 pics from the sportsillustrated.cnn.com College Superfans gallery for this week:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0612/campus.superfans1219/content.1.html
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0612/campus.superfans1219/content.2.html
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0612/campus.superfans1219/content.3.html

KJ Eagle
December 20th, 2006, 02:28 PM

Speaking of paying attention to the stands...when I went to the GSU-Furman game this year, after FU scored the TD, they had a kid run from endzone to endzone just in front of the players on the sideline. He stayed close o the sideline and never got more than about 10 or 15 yards into the field, and then jumped the fence at the other end and ran up the hill. He stood around and high fived his friends for about 2-3 minutes, and then walked back behind the stands. Not once did any security even look his way. The EMT's that were at the fence just moved out of his way, let him jump it, and then went back to watching the PAT. Quite funny if you ask me. :hurray:

KAUMASS
December 20th, 2006, 06:00 PM
One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post..I wish the whole country could have heard everyone in the crowd sing our National Anthem..Was anyone else as moved by it as me?

Kiss My Apps
December 20th, 2006, 10:00 PM
The singing of this year's national anthem stems from last year's mic failure. Sometime between the first and second verse of last year's anthem, the singers mic cut out and 20,000 hyped up football fans picked it up instantly, singing as loud and proud as possible. One of the most memorable and inspiring experiences of my life.

Naturally, when it came time for this year's anthem... the Appalachian nation only knew one way way to do it and UMass fans followed suit!

BeauFoster
December 21st, 2006, 06:39 AM
The singing of this year's national anthem stems from last year's mic failure. Sometime between the first and second verse of last year's anthem, the singers mic cut out and 20,000 hyped up football fans picked it up instantly, singing as loud and proud as possible. One of the most memorable and inspiring experiences of my life.

Naturally, when it came time for this year's anthem... the Appalachian nation only knew one way way to do it and UMass fans followed suit!

The same thing happened early in the season last year at a Hurricanes game. Holly's mic went out and 16,000 started singing. It kinda became a tradition during the playoffs to sing as loudly and proudly as we could. What an awe-inspiring event the National Anthem became!:hurray:

Umass74
December 21st, 2006, 07:06 AM
All the UMass fans----including me were singing. :hurray:

KJ Eagle
December 21st, 2006, 07:07 AM
One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post..I wish the whole country could have heard everyone in the crowd sing our National Anthem..Was anyone else as moved by it as me?

You could hear it very well on TV. It was bery cool to hear everyone singing so proudly! :hurray: