PDA

View Full Version : CNN showing UMASS students getting a little wild after friday's game.

Bulldog87
December 17th, 2006, 06:28 AM
CNN just had footage of UMASS students "Rioting" on campus friday night. The chancellor is considering expelling some and criminal charges for others. Hopefully the situtiation can work out for all invovled. They didn't report any injuries but there seemed to be some property damage.

appstate1998
December 17th, 2006, 12:00 PM
CNN just had footage of UMASS students "Rioting" on campus friday night. The chancellor is considering expelling some and criminal charges for others. Hopefully the situtiation can work out for all invovled. They didn't report any injuries but there seemed to be some property damage.

AMHERST, Mass. -- University of Massachusetts officials promised "swift disciplinary action" against students who rioted after the football team lost the Division I-AA championship game.

Eleven people, including 10 students, were arrested and two UMass police officers sustained minor injuries in the melee, in which students lit small fires, smashed windows and threw bottles, cans, rocks and even bicycles at police, according to campus spokesman Ed Blaguszewski.

The rioting began after about 1,800 students surged onto a plaza in a southwest residential area of campus late Friday, shortly after UMass lost 28-17 to Appalachian State in the championship game in Chattanooga, Tenn.

"I'm outraged and terribly disappointed in the students involved in this disturbance," said Michael Gargano, vice chancellor for student affairs and campus life. "This type of behavior hurts the majority of our students who are studying and preparing for final exams and are at the university for all the right reasons."

The cases against the arrested students will be reviewed early this week and any discipline will be handed down by week's end, Blaguszewski said. Punishment could include expulsion and loss of this semester's academic record, Gargano said.

About 60 officers, including UMass, state and Amherst police, responded in riot gear. They used pepper ball, sting ball, flash bangs and smoke to eventually disperse the crowd, Blaguszewski said.

"Students were throwing trash cans and breaking windows and the riot squad came, and they were throwing tear gas and shooting pellets at the crowd," student Dan Nguyen told The Boston Globe. "It was pretty crazy."

The university said a damage estimate wouldn't be available until early next week.

The arrested students face charges of disorderly conduct and failure to disperse. UMass police chief Barbara O'Connor said more people could be charged or disciplined after a review of security camera video and swipe card data, which shows who went in and out of nearby residence halls.

youwouldno
December 17th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Wow.

NativeAppy
December 17th, 2006, 10:56 PM

I wish some cops would have arrested the UMass crew near our tailgate in Chattanooga.

Appguy
December 17th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I wish some cops would have arrested the UMass crew near our tailgate in Chattanooga.
Whatd they do?

umassfan
December 17th, 2006, 10:57 PM
You dont wana get me started on this... The drunk App fans were by far in large worse then any UMass fans behavior at the game and pregame friday.

Mountaineer
December 17th, 2006, 10:59 PM
You dont wana get me started on this... The drunk App fans were by far in large worse then any UMass fans behavior at the game and pregame friday.

:bawling: :bawling: :rolleyes:

HLecter
December 17th, 2006, 11:03 PM

DO TELL!

HLecter
December 17th, 2006, 11:05 PM

Hey did the 'STREAKER' make the trip to Chatt?

Old Cat Fan
December 18th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Even had it on that damn scroll thing on the bottom of the screen. The FCS spends all year fighting and clawing for any kind of publicity that it can get, and ends up with "rioting after UMASS lost in the 1-AA championship game" on that ticker thing. Well least they had it as the 1-AA and not the new fcs name :p

SirApp
December 18th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Hey did the 'STREAKER' make the trip to Chatt?

Yep

bluehenbillk
December 18th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Embarassing for UMass, why weren't those students at the game? ASU didn't have a problem getting there....

Umass74
December 18th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Embarassing for UMass, why weren't those students at the game? ASU didn't have a problem getting there....

I'd be willing to bet you several beers that not one out of ten of those people had ever been to a UMass football game. :bang:

They need to get tough and expel that element and give their places to someone who wants an education.

saint0917
December 18th, 2006, 07:44 AM
They need to get tough and expel that element and give their places to someone who wants an education.

On the news this morning they said the damage is up to $100,000.00. Kick them out and make them pay for all the damage.:nod:

GoCats90
December 18th, 2006, 07:50 AM
No surprise here. UMass fans can say what they want but history shows that this is the 'UMass Way'. The Sox win, UMass riots. The Pats win, UMass riots. The steak in the dining hall is overcooked, UMass riots.

To be fair, these are not football fans doing this. Some may be but most are not. As a UNH Wildcat supporter, I was at both of their games this year. The UMass fans who came to Durham were loud and obnoxious, but respectful (exactly how you want your fans to be). I walked away impressed at how well they travelled and how they composed themselves.

Amherst was another story. I took my 14 year old son and 2 of his friends and we had some pretty nasty things said to us as we walked to the stadium wearing our colors. During the game, at least 4 different groups of students would walk in front of the UNH side and stick both middle fingers high in the air and proclaim as loud as they could just how much UNH sucked. There were plenty of young kids and older folks who did not need to see this. I am not exaggerating one bit. I remember worrying how dangerous it would be to get back to my car if the Cats won that game.

To all of the real fans who post here, you know the score. The drunken horde wanders over from the towers and ruins a good day of football. But you have to understand that the reputation of the Minutemen is well deserved.

saint0917
December 18th, 2006, 08:48 AM
No surprise here. UMass fans can say what they want but history shows that this is the 'UMass Way'. The Sox win, UMass riots. The Pats win, UMass riots. The steak in the dining hall is overcooked, UMass riots.

To be fair, these are not football fans doing this. Some may be but most are not. As a UNH Wildcat supporter, I was at both of their games this year. The UMass fans who came to Durham were loud and obnoxious, but respectful (exactly how you want your fans to be). I walked away impressed at how well they travelled and how they composed themselves.

Amherst was another story. I took my 14 year old son and 2 of his friends and we had some pretty nasty things said to us as we walked to the stadium wearing our colors. During the game, at least 4 different groups of students would walk in front of the UNH side and stick both middle fingers high in the air and proclaim as loud as they could just how much UNH sucked. There were plenty of young kids and older folks who did not need to see this. I am not exaggerating one bit. I remember worrying how dangerous it would be to get back to my car if the Cats won that game.

To all of the real fans who post here, you know the score. The drunken horde wanders over from the towers and ruins a good day of football. But you have to understand that the reputation of the Minutemen is well deserved.

You coundn't be more right, stuff like this ONLY happens at Umass, The Red Sox, and The Pats. :rolleyes: Could you be anymore clueless. : smh : xidiotx

saint0917
December 18th, 2006, 09:06 AM
UMass fans can say what they want but history shows that this is the 'UMass Way'. The Sox win, UMass riots. The Pats win, UMass riots. The steak in the dining hall is overcooked, UMass riots.

Fifteen other people, including a police officer, suffered minor injuries in Boston's Kenmore Square neighborhood early Thursday, after thousands of baseball fans spilled onto the streets near Fenway Park to celebrate the Red Sox winning the American League pennant at Yankee Stadium.

I guess Kenmore Square is pary of downtown Umass, because this stuff only happens at Umass. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

GoCats90
December 18th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Get your head out of the sand, Saint. I never said that riots only happened at UMass. But to say that there is not a long and glorified tradition of this is being ignorant. I will not waste anyone's time with listing links to all of the times that the good boys and girls of Amherst have celebrated their victories or mourned their losses by burning cars, breaking windows and hurling rocks at police officers from tower windows. You all can find them by googling UMass riots. One illustrious alumni even created a video game called Riot UMass.

I will stress again, these are not football fans doing this but it hurts the overall image of what is a very good University. I don't think there is any doubt that more students take pride in being named to Playboy's Top Ten Party Schools than the fact that a researcher at UMass just won a Nobel Prize for Physiology.

3rd Coast Tiger
December 18th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Thugs!