View Full Version : spring game ...against another school?

Boogs
April 1st, 2016, 06:07 PM
Always wondered why schools don't play a scrimmage against a nearby school for their last 2 to 3 hours of spring practice, instead of against themselves?

Has this idea been tossed around to replace the current format? Would the coaches be for or against it?

UAalum72
April 1st, 2016, 07:25 PM
The NCAA considers any intercollegiate competition, no matter how informal, as a "contest" and would count it toward the allowed number of games played, not even considering that a spring game is not within the designated playing season. It would take the NCAA to change the competition rules.

Even the preseason scrimmages that the Ivy League plays against D-III schools or each other count toward the eleven games per season. If the Ivy went to an 11-game schedule they'd have to drop those scrimmages.

bonarae
April 1st, 2016, 11:15 PM
The NCAA considers any intercollegiate competition, no matter how informal, as a "contest" and would count it toward the allowed number of games played, not even considering that a spring game is not within the designated playing season. It would take the NCAA to change the competition rules.

Even the preseason scrimmages that the Ivy League plays against D-III schools or each other count toward the eleven games per season. If the Ivy went to an 11-game schedule they'd have to drop those scrimmages.

I probably got your point. The Ivy should drop those scrimmages altogether at once for them to progress into a 11-game bye week-provisioned schedule. xtwocentsx

UAalum72
April 2nd, 2016, 07:20 AM
I probably got your point. The Ivy should drop those scrimmages altogether at once for them to progress into a 11-game bye week-provisioned schedule. xtwocentsx
Not really my point, just the only example I knew of scrimmages against other teams, and a reason why other teams wouldn't want to play them.

Laker
April 2nd, 2016, 07:28 AM
In the late 60s Duffy Daughrety of Michigan State advocated this. He talked about playing the spring game against your rival and charging money. It didn't take off because of worries about injuries and deciding what the game would really mean- do you put a win or a loss on the next season?

MR. CHICKEN
April 2nd, 2016, 07:40 AM
....AH'D...THINK....DUH PURPOSE UH SPRING.....IS TA LOOK AT YER SQWAD.....FROM ALL DIRECTIONS.....&...YA GET TA SEE BOTH O & D & SPECIAL TEAMS TOGETHERAH....&....GENTLAH BREAK IN DUH NEW GUYS......&.......MAYBEAH...INSTALL TOTALLY NEW O/D.........PLAYIN'...'NOTHERAH SKOOL....WOOD...UPSET DIS NOTION....AN' SPIRIT UH COMPETITION......WOOD OVERTAKE....DESIRED RESULT....AS OWN-LAH BEST PLAYERS WOOD PROLLY PARTICIPATE.......BRAWK!

Boogs
April 2nd, 2016, 08:06 AM
In the late 60s Duffy Daughrety of Michigan State advocated this. He talked about playing the spring game against your rival and charging money. It didn't take off because of worries about injuries and deciding what the game would really mean- do you put a win or a loss on the next season?

Here's the thing. Dayton volleyball plays Michigan today and also has listed a mini-season of matchups during the offseason: http://daytonflyers.com/schedule.aspx?path=wvball

If I recall correctly Ohio State and Dayton softball plays opponents in the fall (the offseason).

So there is a precedent of other NCAA sports playing schools in the offseason ...like a mini-season in the offseason. What the heck?

Libertine
April 2nd, 2016, 11:01 AM
Always wondered why schools don't play a scrimmage against a nearby school for their last 2 to 3 hours of spring practice, instead of against themselves?

Has this idea been tossed around to replace the current format? Would the coaches be for or against it?

In the case of football, there's very little incentive for coaches to want it. They're working with a depleted roster thanks to graduation and year-end surgeries and are sometimes still installing schematic changes that the team isn't yet comfortable with and the coaches don't want to show anyway. Given that spring football is limited to 15 total practices, many coaches appreciate the positive exposure for their program that a spring "game" provides but consider the game itself to be more or less a waste of that 15th practice.

dgtw
April 2nd, 2016, 12:45 PM
The spring game is really a glorified fan day.

Twentysix
April 2nd, 2016, 02:43 PM
Thought I remembered an FCS school (from around TN/KY area) bragging about beating Kentucky in a 7 on 7 practice scrim a few years ago.

NDSUtk
April 3rd, 2016, 11:57 AM
Does the NCAA rule allowing international play not to count towards your games/practice limits once every four years apply to football too? I'd assume they have to for fairness. Would be interesting to head to Canada for games or something.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

NY Crusader 2010
April 3rd, 2016, 12:08 PM
Does the NCAA rule allowing international play not to count towards your games/practice limits once every four years apply to football too? I'd assume they have to for fairness. Would be interesting to head to Canada for games or something.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I believe some Division III schools have done this

JayJ79
April 4th, 2016, 04:12 AM
Here's the thing. Dayton volleyball plays Michigan today and also has listed a mini-season of matchups during the offseason: http://daytonflyers.com/schedule.aspx?path=wvball

If I recall correctly Ohio State and Dayton softball plays opponents in the fall (the offseason).

So there is a precedent of other NCAA sports playing schools in the offseason ...like a mini-season in the offseason. What the heck?

different sports have different rules. Imagine that. Basketball and volleyball teams are allowed to play 30 games in a season. Should that be allowed for football too?

aust42
April 4th, 2016, 02:22 PM
I'm sure most coaches would not want to play an actual spring game for fear of injuries. Delaware's spring games have become pillow fights under the Brock era. It's not even watchable. Kind of like watching the NFL Pro Bowl.

UNIFanSince1983
April 5th, 2016, 03:52 PM
I remember when I was at DIII Coe College there was a preseason scrimmage against UW-Platteville. However, we only played a 10 game regular season, and there was no Spring football at DIII.

clenz
April 5th, 2016, 03:59 PM
I remember when I was at DIII Coe College there was a preseason scrimmage against UW-Platteville. However, we only played a 10 game regular season, and there was no Spring football at DIII.
Wartburg was St. Ambrose while I was there

Bisonoline
April 5th, 2016, 09:09 PM
I'm sure most coaches would not want to play an actual spring game for fear of injuries. Delaware's spring games have become pillow fights under the Brock era. It's not even watchable. Kind of like watching the NFL Pro Bowl.

The spring game is the most boring crap in the world. If it werent for tailgate I wouldnt even think of going.

Boogs
April 6th, 2016, 10:09 PM
The spring game is the most boring crap in the world. If it werent for tailgate I wouldnt even think of going.

For us Ohio State fans, it's the ONLY chance of seeing the team in person...while getting a nice sun tan. I remember seeing Earle Bruce's teams in person -- the annual steak vs. baked beans/hot dog intrasquad game (winner gets steak).

As far as getting tickets in the regular season, forget it. As far as seeing Ohio State on TV that would be against Michigan on ABC TV and on a New Year's Day bowl game. A whopping 2 times a year. Glad those days are over.

The spring game could be pepped-up at the FCS level by having a punt, pass and kick competition for the youngsters who wear the school's jersey during halftime or before the game itself.

You could get the alumni band to play as well, or a rock band playing 'Hang on Sloopy' and the school's fight song.

Have like a cornhole tournament in the parking lot before the game as well...using football scoring (3 points for nearest the hole, and 7 points for going thru the hole).

You could have the bookstore's merchandise on sale near the concession stands -- jerseys, baseball caps, t-shirts, etc.

You could have the mascot as the QB for a few plays to make everyone laugh.

I don't see the marketing at the FCS level to make it a memorable spring event.

You could have a hospital situation kid run a play for a touchdown.

You could have the cheerleaders play a flag football game wearing full tackle football uniforms against each other too.

You could have a dunking machine too. Everytime the team gets a first down some school celebrity has the possibility of getting dunked by a kid throwing a baseball at the dunking machine arm.

You could have a bingo game during the game. Everytime someone gets a first down, makes a tackle, etc. a square is announced (the player's number) over the PA.

What I like the most is having a million dollar lottery at the end of the game. Your ticket is an entry for a million dollar annuity paid over the course of 20 years, beginning in 20 years. You could have confetti and champagne dumped on the winner at the end of the game.

You could have a lottery for some lucky student (in attendance) to have free tuition for a year.