PDA

View Full Version : Stadium Policies?

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2005, 09:06 AM
I've got a pet peeve related to umbrellas for fans in the stands and fans bringing tents/coverings into the endzone at Sam Houston, where we have the 'Couch Potatoes' section which is where the fans sit just beyond the endzone.

I am very interested in seeing what universities at the I-AA level have policies against such things. Everyone knows most major Div I conferences have policies (notably the Big XII), but I wanted to know if there are some I-AA comparisons. Please make sure to note your universities when you state what you say.

Also, definitely not a big fan of our College Republicans group bringing their CR flag to games. I think 'Agent Orange' from the BSF said it perfectly however. "The forum of sport is a place where people of different factions can come together and enjoy the one passion that they have in common. The College Republicans brought along an uneccessary reminder that we are different in certain aspects."

kats89
July 7th, 2005, 09:12 AM
I've got a pet peeve related to umbrellas for fans in the stands and fans bringing tents/coverings into the endzone at Sam Houston, where we have the 'Couch Potatoes' section which is where the fans sit just beyond the endzone.

I am very interested in seeing what universities at the I-AA level have policies against such things. Everyone knows most major Div I conferences have policies (notably the Big XII), but I wanted to know if there are some I-AA comparisons. Please make sure to note your universities when you state what you say.

Also, definitely not a big fan of our College Republicans group bringing their CR flag to games. I think 'Agent Orange' from the BSF said it perfectly however. "The forum of sport is a place where people of different factions can come together and enjoy the one passion that they have in common. The College Republicans brought along an uneccessary reminder that we are different in certain aspects."

TT, I remember those guys carrying that flag at the SFA game last year.

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2005, 09:22 AM
TT, I remember those guys carrying that flag at the SFA game last year.

Not just SFA, but every game that they attended and they'll be doing it for EVERY event they attend...

AgentOrange
July 7th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Last fall was a very interesting time in both the aspects of politics and Bearkat football. Sadly, one individual thought it would be keen to combine the two.
I can understand how fans feel that they could reach a large group of people and deliver their message via free speech. The Rainbow wig guy did just that with John 3:16. But during a time that saw some of the more heated political strife in this country, it pained me to see a political symbol in a place that I attend in order to get away from that.
Unfortunately, I don't see any way to hinder that sort of expression. If there was an attempt, a person would fly the "free speech" and "persecution" flags and create a huge fuss. Next thing we know, we've got the media all over our town stirring a pot of negative spin.
All we can say is that person is ignorant of the true nature of sport. What we need is a bunch of Rick Monday's out there to inform these people of the mistake they're making.

TxState_GO_CATS!
July 7th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Not just SFA, but every game that they attended and they'll be doing it for EVERY event they attend...

damn that's crazy. i agree--politics has no place in college football except on the regulation side (i.e. boosters, no pay, etc...)

AgentOrange
July 7th, 2005, 11:20 AM
damn that's crazy. i agree--politics has no place in college football except on the regulation side (i.e. boosters, no pay, etc...)
The product is what's important. If there was a way to write up policy "to preserve the nature of the product", then I could see something being done. Until lawyers can't find anything wrong with that, we're stuck with being exposed to the outside world.

HensRock
July 7th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Umbrellas are not permitted inside Delaware Stadium. We're packed in too closely and they would certainly obscure someone's view of the game.

GrizFoo
July 7th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Same with Wash-Griz, no umbrellas allowed. Note to inconsiderate umbrella toters: Wear a $5 plastic poncho, and if you can't afford that, surely a garbage bag or two will sufice. If you thought bb guns put people in danger of loosing an eye, consider umbrellas with their 10 or so ribs jutting out ready to stab unsuspecting, inocent bystanders.

Saint3333
July 7th, 2005, 12:10 PM
The SoCon has a no umbrella policy, so in Boone bring your jacket has make sure it's wind and rain proof and warm. I've seen the temperature drop 30+ degrees on a game day.

The Gadfly
July 7th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Saint- you can bring one as long as you don't use it in the stands. I wonder if that includes the hill?

P2TheB
July 7th, 2005, 12:25 PM
In the UNI-Dome, you don't need any umbrellas or parkas. Just bring yourself and the family, and enjoy a great game of football in 72 degree weather....all year 'round.

Eagle_77
July 7th, 2005, 01:12 PM
I have a question about the guys with the CR flag? Are they speaking on political issues at the game? Do they have signs that have messages or anything? Is it only the fact that they have the flag?

If they are speaking on these terms or posting messages then I have a problem with that. Here in Savannah, GA we have one of the largest Saint Patrick's Day celebrations in the world. There are people all over caring crosses trying to bring people to Christ. I do not feel that this is the time or place for this because in most cases they are speaking to people that are intoxicated. Not cool!

If they are not and simply have the flag then I don’t see a problem with that. Imp not sure how they do things at your school but Frats put up flags in the end zone or in the stands. I see the CR flag and the Frat flags as about the same. They are just simply proud of the organization that they are in and what it stands for and want people to know it. Sort of like when people put bumper stickers on cars.

Oh by the way Im from Georgia Southern

GSUAlumniEagle
July 7th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Flags are allowed, in fact encouraged, at Paulson. It's quite a site seeing about 1000 flags waving whenever the Eagles score.

No umbrellas in the SoCon, so bring your ponchos. Except in the student section, where ponchos are not encouraged. You will stand in the student section and get wet damnit. Do you see Jermaine Austin wearing a poncho?

TxSt02
July 7th, 2005, 01:21 PM

The one and only thing that I will say is cool about "The Prison Yard" is your Couch Potatoe section... Last year I hungout with some cool Sam fans and we put our booze in the cushions and just got tossed sitting just behind the endzone. Good times, too bad the game didnt turn out the way I wanted it to...

AgentOrange
July 7th, 2005, 02:23 PM
I have a question about the guys with the CR flag? Are they speaking on political issues at the game? Do they have signs that have messages or anything? Is it only the fact that they have the flag?
Eagle, it wasn't necessarily the fact that they had the flag at the game. The CR and the local Democrat organization traded quite a few barbs over the course of the semester in which both sides took themselves a little bit too seriously.
I, myself, am a card-carrying member of the GOP, and I know who I voted for. But the reason I frowned upon the acts of the CR is that they were a little too-insistent on carrying their message. The friction between the two factions became a huge distration to the campus community. At the time, I just didn't feel that their tactics needed to dominate the scene, which I'm sure they intended to do.

AgentOrange
July 7th, 2005, 02:30 PM
The one and only thing that I will say is cool about "The Prison Yard" is your Couch Potatoe section... Last year I hungout with some cool Sam fans and we put our booze in the cushions and just got tossed sitting just behind the endzone. Good times, too bad the game didnt turn out the way I wanted it to...
Just goes to show the many ways we can party over here at "The Death House". Our baseball and softball games were a lot like that too. We used a have a modestly attended student group that parked their trucks just beyond the left field wall and broke out the coolers. They were traditionally the most vocal come the 5th or 6th inning.
And our softball facility used to host the same thing.
Unfortunately, our new baseball/softball facility brings up some questions on whether that tradition can continue.

VictorG
July 7th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Same with Wash-Griz, no umbrellas allowed. Note to inconsiderate umbrella toters: Wear a $5 plastic poncho, and if you can't afford that, surely a garbage bag or two will sufice. If you thought bb guns put people in danger of loosing an eye, consider umbrellas with their 10 or so ribs jutting out ready to stab unsuspecting, inocent bystanders.

Also, it's darn hard to see something when the person(s) in front of you are using umbrellas. Also no artificial noise makers (I believe) and no booze. But MOST of all, no Bobcat victories! They violated this one a few years back and are getting set to receive their punishment! :)

McNeeserocket
July 7th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Umbrellas are not allowed at McNeese football games. Just bring and wear royal or gold rain ponchos! Does it ever rain in Louisiana?

Eagle_77
July 7th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Ok this makes more since. In this case I understand your beef and support it. You're there to watch the game, not to get caught up in a pissing contest with student organizations. There is nothing wrong with being proud of who you are and what you stand for but to use it in this matter is uncalled for.

Saint3333
July 7th, 2005, 04:02 PM
If it's raining the hill doesn't get used, just pile in the stands or stand under the west side.

AgentOrange
July 7th, 2005, 04:08 PM
If it's raining the hill doesn't get used, just pile in the stands or stand under the west side.
That reminds me of another thing. I know that some universities cherish their "greenspace" around the stadium. But how many schools actually let fans bring the towels and lawnchairs and spread out on what you might call "lawn seating"?

charliej
July 7th, 2005, 04:13 PM

Absolutly right.I wish Nova had a no umbrella policy.I almost lost an eye at the JMU game last year.It's really annoying to have to try & look over them too.At least at Nova you can always go find another seat though. ;)

Kill'em
July 9th, 2005, 10:30 AM
I wish Paulson Stadium had a policy against wearing georgia bulldog apparrel.

ngineer
July 9th, 2005, 09:10 PM
I agree umbrellas should be banned. Too dangerous plus they obscure peoples' views. Goodman hasn't adopted that yet, but i think it should be suggested.

Pen Guin
July 9th, 2005, 09:47 PM
If he still posts on the board, Penguin-on-a-stick, has such a great story about 'carry-in' regulations. Let's here it POS.

DemiGS
July 9th, 2005, 11:17 PM
I wish Paulson Stadium had a policy against wearing georgia bulldog apparrel.

Well isn't that the truth! I use to get so sick and tired of standing behind a crowd of greek geeks clad in their finest pastel shirts, thong flip-flops, and UGA hats. Without fail these are the folks that leave 5 minutes before halftime. The truth is they only showed up for the social aspect, and once they'd made an appearance they were free to leave. At any one time during the game these “fans” probably couldn’t tell you how the game was going or probably even who had the ball.