PDA

View Full Version : Artificial Noisemakers

rokamortis
July 7th, 2005, 08:36 AM
What's the rule with bringing noisemakers to football stadiums? I had read somewhere that is an NCAA law but I couldn't find anything from the NCAA in regard to football, although I did for basketball.

I have heard that we can't bring in anything like thunderstix at CCU due to this rule - but then you see examples of other teams fans having noisemakers. The most notable is JMU in their highlight reel.

So what's the deal?

grizbeer
July 7th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Here is the answer from the BSC website:

Jim Joyner, of Missoula, Mont., asks Big Sky Conference:

"Are artificial noisemakers prohibited at Big Sky Conference Football games. Specifically, the 'thunderstick' which is a platic blow up stick approximately 24" long. When 'slapped' together, make a noise. These were used a lot during the world series, and I've seen them used at the University of Idaho game against the Griz. Any insights into this?"

Big Sky Conference responds:

"The Big Sky currently does not have a rule regulating the use of artificial noisemakers at football games. Artificial noisemakers are, however, prohibited at Big Sky basketball and volleyball games."
http://www.bigskyconf.com/qa_front.asp?qaid=296

AgentOrange
July 7th, 2005, 09:07 AM
I remember a funny story during the SHSU/SFA basketball championship game back in 2003.

As fans were entering the arena, most of them were handed a SINGLE ThunderStick. They simply had the words 'Go Kats' on them. When fans asked if they could have the second stick, promoters stated that the Southland Conference tournament officials said that the crowd could not use artificial noisemakers, becuase it would give one team the advantage. These are the same people who voted on having the championship site on the campus of the higher seeded team. Go figure.

So, the majority use of the ThunderStix was to distract shooters at the free throw line. But later, fans realized the futility of keeping them from banging those things together and started making noise, anyway.

That was two years ago in the tournament. This past season I traveled to the regular season b-ball game in Naco-nowhere and the sfa crowd had the Bud Light sponsored T-Stix. Someone show me where the red tape should go!

AOX

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2005, 09:08 AM
I think NCAA soccer provides many questions related to noisemakers. I would think outside of basketball and football, that sport would cause a great deal of issues...

AgentOrange
July 7th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Here's another sad story...

I worked as the spotter and statitician for KSHU Radio during the first round playoff game during Thanksgiving weekend last season. (BTW, Western Kentucky fans are excellent guests. Remember to hug your red-sweatered friends when they come to town)
A sweet little, elderly lady sat about ten rows down from our radio post. She was a Hilltopper fan, who unfortunately decided to break out her airhorn. For some reason, the entire stadium quieted down for the split second as she blasted out a song from the horn.
That made the police officer's job of locating her that much easier. He walked down the row and asked for the horn. She surrendered it to him, and he came back up the stairs. As he passed us, he placed the horn on the table.
At the end of the game, we handed the airhorn back to her as she came past us.
OK, I guess there was a happy ending.

colgate13
July 7th, 2005, 09:29 AM
I know in NCAA Hockey there are rules against them because of RPI's Big Red Freak Out.

AgentOrange
July 7th, 2005, 09:34 AM
I know in NCAA Hockey there are rules against them because of RPI's Big Red Freak Out.

Just read up on an article on the Freak Out. Sounds like something that could effect the game pretty nicely. Without noisemakers, do students snort a lot of coke to get in for the game?

colgate13
July 7th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Just read up on an article on the Freak Out. Sounds like something that could effect the game pretty nicely. Without noisemakers, do students snort a lot of coke to get in for the game?

:confused:

AgentOrange
July 7th, 2005, 10:05 AM
:confused:
Maybe it's the "freak" image that I've got in my head. I'm picturing a bunch of fans literally 'freakin' out', arms waving and yelling at the tops of their lungs and sustaining that for the entire game.

I would figure to sustain that, I made the joke about doing coke to have the energy for that. So sue me for taking a stab at humor.

colgate13
July 7th, 2005, 10:39 AM
I would figure to sustain that, I made the joke about doing coke to have the energy for that. So sue me for taking a stab at humor.

Chalk that up to subtleties getting lost on the internet. Now that I get it, I was pretty funny... :)

AgentOrange
July 7th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Chalk that up to subtleties getting lost on the internet. Now that I get it, I was pretty funny... :)
No problem. So what's the funniest thing you've heard about the artificial noisemaker policy??

Or how about the most mundane thing on a jumbotron at a game? Since we do not have one just yet, I can't say. But has the "kiss cam" made it to the college ranks yet?

TxState_GO_CATS!
July 7th, 2005, 11:10 AM
No noisemakers? hahaha...just try telling us that in San Marcos. We (particularly most students in the band) use jugs full of rocks and coins--those things are f'in loud. (just an idea to pass around) No one's ever told us that they were illegal. Sure, the visiting team has always complained but, w/e. We've been doing it the last few years without anyone telling us it was illegal. And you better believe they'll be in full force this year.

AgentOrange
July 7th, 2005, 11:18 AM
I have no problem with pennies in jugs. Hell, I think cowbells are fun, also. Never heard anything wrong with those.

grizbeer
July 7th, 2005, 01:01 PM
No problem. So what's the funniest thing you've heard about the artificial noisemaker policy??

Or how about the most mundane thing on a jumbotron at a game? Since we do not have one just yet, I can't say. But has the "kiss cam" made it to the college ranks yet?Montana (unfortuantely) has the kiss cam on the big screen - I could do without it.

rokamortis
July 7th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Coastal hasn't gotten the instant replay thing down yet ... I hope they will this season but I doubt it. The do play McD's and Hooters commercials though :confused:

McNeese75
July 7th, 2005, 02:36 PM
I have no problem with pennies in jugs. Hell, I think cowbells are fun, also. Never heard anything wrong with those.

Seems to be a conference issue. I do know there is ALWAYS a problem with bringing our cowbells to Northwestern State. Southeastern Louisiana secuirty would not let us bring them into Strawberry Field two years ago either. :mad:

AgentOrange
July 7th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Seems to be a conference issue. I do know there is ALWAYS a problem with bringing our cowbells to Northwestern State. Southeastern Louisiana secuirty would not let us bring them into Strawberry Field two years ago either. :mad:
Dude, weak!! I know that you guys wouldn't have a problem with me bringing in a cowbell to Lake Charles. As for Northwestern, that sounds more like a university policy issue mixed in with the rivalry. Perhaps it goes the same with us, too. I'd have to go in and read up on it over here.
And as for SELA, lets play a few seasons in the SLC before we start telling people what they can and cannot do, okay??

McNeeserocket
July 7th, 2005, 02:45 PM
I believe that the Southland Conference ruled on articial noisemakers this year. At first they were not going to allow them, but then each school's representatives wanted the use of artificial noisemakers, and so the conference is allowing them. At one point many of the conference schools did not want McNeese fans to have cowbells, but the conference ruled that if artifical noisemakers were going to be allowed (like thundersticks) then cowbells would also have to be allowed. This information about the conference ruling was announced at one of the McNeese booster club meetings by the McNeese AD in the Spring of 2005. I haven't seen anything written about it by the conference but I haven't really looked for either as of yet.

blukeys
July 7th, 2005, 04:01 PM
At one point many of the conference schools did not want McNeese fans to have cowbells, but the conference ruled that if artifical noisemakers were going to be allowed (like thundersticks) then cowbells would also have to be allowed.

I remember discussing cowbells on another thread. I still say. You can't have too much cowbell.

AgentOrange
July 7th, 2005, 04:05 PM
" I gotta have more COWBELL!"
Yeah, I just had to say it. I am so surprised that they haven't jumped on the merchandising opportunity of that sketch.
I'm putting it on a load of t-shirts and get my sled over the Lake Charles. Start selling them to McNeese fans.
Blue shirt, yellow letters. Picture of Walken on the front, phrase on the back!

superbrett2000
July 7th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Best part of being in a marching or pep band is we get to have noise makers (aka instruments)! The guys on percussion get the best deal since rules are a little more more relaxed on them (like being able to pound along with defense chants or help get the crowd riled up before a big play). Playoffs and tournaments are a different story as especially in basketball and volleyball, the NCAA is VERY strict on any kind of noise that comes from the band.

eaglesrthe1
July 7th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Artificial noismakers...shouldn't be allowed. Not talking about the band, or cannons and such, they are usually disciplined enough. Talking about the general public. Scream and yell as loud as you want, but leave the noisemakers at home.

McNeese75
July 7th, 2005, 10:42 PM
" I gotta have more COWBELL!"
Yeah, I just had to say it. I am so surprised that they haven't jumped on the merchandising opportunity of that sketch.
I'm putting it on a load of t-shirts and get my sled over the Lake Charles. Start selling them to McNeese fans.
Blue shirt, yellow letters. Picture of Walken on the front, phrase on the back!

:D Bring em on. They will probably sell (well that is if Retro is not having them printed as I type)

:lmao:

blackfordpu
July 7th, 2005, 11:07 PM
I know that a lot of SHSU fans were mad during the playoffs at EWU and Montana. I remember listening to the games at work and the announcer got pissed off when he heard an artificial noise maker. It was a big deal in the first round of the playoffs, as AO said, they were confiscating them but in the later rounds it was not being enforced.

I would think that during the playoffs the rules would be consistent in each round at each stadium but who knows.

DemiGS
July 8th, 2005, 04:17 AM
Other than key chains, I don't think GSU has much of an artificial noisemake problem.

McNeeserocket
July 8th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Other than key chains, I don't think GSU has much of an artificial noisemake problem.
Are you saying that McNeese fans should leave their cowbells in Lake Charles on Sept. 10th? If we will not be allowed to bring them into the stadium for the game, then you may want to go to our message board and make a post informing Cowboy fans to leave them at home!

eaglesrthe1
July 8th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Officially, the SoCon has a no noisemaker rule. Since there will probably be a few hundred folks from McNeese, and the cowbells would probably # in the dozens, I doubt that it would create an unfair advantage. If some GSU folks were to complain, then they would announce the rule over the PA system.

IOW, I would say bring'em and ring'em, until told to do otherwise.

ngineer
July 8th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Where do the bands fall into the equation? In the PL only Lehigh has a marching band, and a small one at that (usually 60 or so), but for their size they are quite loud. Some of the others have 'pep' bands in the stands. LU's "Marching '97" sits in the upper level during the game and plays most of the game. Occasionally, the refs have told the band it cannot play when the opposition has the ball. This hasn't happened all the time, but curious as to whether there is a rule that prohibts music being played while signals are being called?

ashram
July 8th, 2005, 12:59 PM
When FU played at Western Carolina 2 years ago I remember some WCU fans using air horns before Furman snapped the ball, throughout the game. No action was taken against the offenders. It was pretty annoying, but we won.

eaglesrthe1
July 8th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Not necessarily the entire time that the opposition has the ball, but when they break the huddle and approach the line of scrimmage, the bands should stop playing. That is a major no-no. Of course if the opponents band wishes to play while the opponent has the FB, and interferes with their ability to communicate, then I have no problem with that. :rolleyes:

eaglesrthe1
July 8th, 2005, 01:03 PM
When FU played at Western Carolina 2 years ago I remember some WCU fans using air horns before Furman snapped the ball, throughout the game. No action was taken against the offenders. It was pretty annoying, but we won.

Crap like that is what gets me. But, it's up to your coaching staff to complain.
WCU probably won't get too serious about policing their own fans, unless the visitors complain.

blur2005
July 8th, 2005, 01:37 PM
I think all noisemakers should be allowed at all sporting events. Anything to gain an advantage. I hate school officials telling you to stop using the air horn or to quit knocking a bell, it's just stupid. Let it happen. Especially at soccer games for cripes sake.

rokamortis
July 8th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Well rules are rules :rolleyes:

The SEC has banned noisemakers - really ticked off Mississippi State fans since they were used to bringing cowbells.

I found out that the Big South has a similar policy in place - so that's what I needed to know.

Grizo406
July 8th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Does it really matter?

rokamortis
July 8th, 2005, 05:01 PM
It is nice to know the rules. Now that I do - no it doesn't really matter.