PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to UMass

Black and Gold Express
December 16th, 2006, 11:25 AM
I wanted to take a minute and congratulate the UMass team. They were, far and away, the best I-AA team we faced. They were the only team in I-AA that were able to match our speed, something I had not seen in the 13 weeks prior to this game.

Baylark was a beast, and your defense was tough. Runs that were going for 10+ easily all postseason were going for no more than 5 last night. Your ability to stretch the plays out to block the edges was really well done.

My signature may be in part smack, but this I truly mean, the best two teams in I-AA were on that field last night. You should be proud of your team in 2006.

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Very Classy! :thumbsup:

UMass922
December 16th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Thank you for the kind words, B&G E. I'm proud of the way UMass played last night. They just ran into a team that played even better. I'm sad that we lost, but I'm not frustrated, because we didn't make too many mistakes. We just couldn't quite contain an excellent team.

DinoDex200
December 16th, 2006, 01:27 PM
I agree with B&G...tough team, quick, and great fans. I know you didn't have the numbers we did, but the amount of dedication they showed in making that trip was impressive.

Plus, you brought 3 hotties that were staying at my hotel. Too bad I had...uh...celebrated too much, or I would have been a little more proactive in getting them to hang with us. :)

slostang
December 16th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Congrats to UMASS on the great season. Great game last night. You represented your school, the A-10 and the FCS extremely well.:thumbsup:

mistersykes
December 16th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Yes, anyone who thinks that App dominated the game must have been listening to the E$PN idiots.

It was a hard fought battle. Nice job UMass!

appman87
December 16th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Congrats Umass on a great season. This was the best team ASU faced. You gave us a great run. Don Brown and team are a class act. I think Brown is interested in making his Guys more than just football players.

BlueHen86
December 16th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Congrats UMass, you were clearly the best in the A10 and one of the top 2 FCS schools. Great game last night, ASU is a great team and you played them well.:nod:

asudelt0119
December 16th, 2006, 03:42 PM
one thing on UMASS...more of a personal beef, who is #81 for UMASS? As i was going on the field after the game he tossed an elbow into my chest, and said a few words. I ignored it because i knew he was just upset over the loss. However, it still rubbed me the wrong way

asufan87
December 16th, 2006, 03:43 PM
UMass was without question the best opponent we faced all year. Great team and very good athletes. UMass should be very proud of what its team accomplished.

proasu89
December 16th, 2006, 03:59 PM
one thing on UMASS...more of a personal beef, who is #81 for UMASS? As i was going on the field after the game he tossed an elbow into my chest, and said a few words. I ignored it because i knew he was just upset over the loss. However, it still rubbed me the wrong way
Maybe you rubbed him the wrong way by being on the field. The field is for those that play the game and the stands are for those of us watching the game. You were lucky you only got an elbow.

asudelt0119
December 16th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Maybe you rubbed him the wrong way by being on the field. The field is for those that play the game and the stands are for those of us watching the game. You were lucky you only got an elbow.

So you're telling me that it is disrespectful to go onto the field to celebrate with friends of mine that are on the team? The guys looked like they enjoyed all the fans coming down. I believe Coach Moore even said something about enjoying seeing the fans come down.

mistersykes
December 16th, 2006, 05:22 PM
i do not give any credit to UMASS at all...

Are you stupid?:confused:

YoUDeeMan
December 16th, 2006, 05:30 PM
i do not give any credit to UMASS at all...if they dont want to recruit athletes out of HS and just get kids from 1A they should have won this game... its giving 1aa a bad reputaion cuz its giving these kids in 1a a sense that if they suck in 1A they can just come in our leageu and be "good"... this game just shows me and everyone else around the league that maybe its better to train your own players not just aquire kids who are already coched and can play at a higher level...do they not trust their coaches or their recruiting ability? i duno...

maybe you guys out there think im just mad cuz we lost to them, but its not that its a shame for the 1aa in whole...i mean teams can get a player or 2 that they need... but 20 transfers? honestly...

BigTimeCryBaby64,

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

How many teams in FCS do not have any transfers? :bawling: :bawling:

Congrats to ASU and Umass for delivering a great game!

Go...gate
December 16th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Congratulations to UMass on a great season. UMass should be very proud of what their team accomplished.

tralfangar
December 16th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I also want to congratulate UMass. Aside from NC State, this was the one game I dreaded all year. Your defense was quick and got into running lanes effectively. They also knew when to blitz and did a great job of taking away some of Armanti's rhythm. Baylark was getting 10+ every run and powering over people. Your offensive line was very talented and did a good job of containing our defensive line. If Coen could've connected one or two more passes this game would've been in OT. I'd like to think we were the better team, but really all it was was two opposing styles of play butting heads all night and unfortunately one team had to win.

Also, I want to apologize for any of the UMass fans who were hassled by my fellow students during tailgating. There was an especially boistrous section four cars down from us and every time a UMass fan came through they would give em hell. My friends and I always tried to be nice, but I know it's easier to remember the douchebags. I talked to a couple UMass fans and they were all really pleasant. I think they were a little surprised at just how many App fans were there haha, but they were not intimidated. Finally, you have an amazing band...that's really all I can say because I would only end up underselling their talent.

Jackman
December 16th, 2006, 07:35 PM
i do not give any credit to UMASS at all...if they dont want to recruit athletes out of HS and just get kids from 1A they should have won this game... its giving 1aa a bad reputaion cuz its giving these kids in 1a a sense that if they suck in 1A they can just come in our leageu and be "good"... this game just shows me and everyone else around the league that maybe its better to train your own players not just aquire kids who are already coched and can play at a higher level...do they not trust their coaches or their recruiting ability? i duno...

maybe you guys out there think im just mad cuz we lost to them, but its not that its a shame for the 1aa in whole...i mean teams can get a player or 2 that they need... but 20 transfers? honestly...

Only 3 of UMass's 1A transfers are starters. Most of them are from Massachusetts, Connecticut and New Jersey, and were among the people UMass was trying to recruit out of high school. If they were good enough that UMass wanted them out of high school, why would they turn down the same players' requests to transfer after a year or two at Rutgers or UConn? Should they turn down transfers into the engineering school because they went to MIT first?

BrevardMountaineer03
December 16th, 2006, 08:12 PM
:hurray:
I wanted to take a minute and congratulate the UMass team. They were, far and away, the best I-AA team we faced. They were the only team in I-AA that were able to match our speed, something I had not seen in the 13 weeks prior to this game.

Baylark was a beast, and your defense was tough. Runs that were going for 10+ easily all postseason were going for no more than 5 last night. Your ability to stretch the plays out to block the edges was really well done.

My signature may be in part smack, but this I truly mean, the best two teams in I-AA were on that field last night. You should be proud of your team in 2006.
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:
BRAVO!
I would have to say that these words speak for a majority of ASU fans. UMass played hard and deserved to be there. Good Luck in 2007.

lizrdgizrd
December 16th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Congrats UMass! Thanks for being part of one of the best football games I watched all season. You had me worried right up to the end. Great team, great coaches, great season.

Sam Adams
December 16th, 2006, 10:00 PM

Stupid classless post. here's a little secret: players want to transfer to come play for Don Brown because he is well known as a great teacher of the game and his players love the guy. here is another secret: most d1a transfers don't even start on UMass - which says something about the level of our recruiting. sorry you don't like the fact that students are free to transfer to whatever school they want. If you pathetically want to hold that against UMass then that is your problem pal.

MountaineerDrive
December 16th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Congrats UMass, your team and fans were great, hope you feel the same way about us.

MR. CHICKEN
December 16th, 2006, 10:20 PM
FUNNY...HOW UH THREAD...'BOUT....CONGRATULATIONS......CAN GO SOUR.......IN UH HURRY......: smh :.....AWK!

THANKY TA UMA$$....FO' SHOWIN' DUH COUNTRY......'BOUT DUH A-10 FOOTBALL LEGACY........GREAT PLAY-OFF GAMES WHIFF....LAFAYETTE....NEW HAMPSHIRE......MONTANA....&....APPALACHIAN STATE.......DUH PILGRIMS...RAN THRU DUH A-10 SKED.........LIKE DROOL....THRU...UH GRIZZWOLD.......AN' WERE [email protected]' BUT RESPECT.....TA BAYLARK & COMPANY............:bow:....BRAWK!

DrG
December 16th, 2006, 11:34 PM
My thanks to everybody ... especially the App fans. Too bad this excellent thread had to be marred by an incredibly ignorant post by bigtime64.

Sam Adams
December 17th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Congrats UMass, your team and fans were great, hope you feel the same way about us.

The Appalachian team, band & fans were excellent. A great demonstration of good sportsmanship, superb athleticsim and class all the way. Congratulations on you well deserved National Championship - you were the best team UMass played all season including Navy. Merry Chrstmas to the Appalachian State Football Family. As an aside, this game was a wonderful demonstration of good sportsmanship by both teams, both teams gave 110% when the ball was in play the players were hitting hard and doing everything to help there teams and after every play you saw opponents picking each other up off the ground and respecting each other. No cheap shots, no late hits - just good hardnosed college football. Edwards & Richardson and your OLine were fantastic.

AggiePride
December 17th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Great season UMASS! Great game.

umassfan
December 17th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Well heres the problem with that... he was suppose to be on the field and you werent. You should be lucky your butt wasnt tackled.

Appguy
December 17th, 2006, 01:57 AM
You should be lucky your butt wasnt tackled.

Actually the player is lucky he didnt tackle an app fan at that point in time
Im pretty sure the 1000's of fans would back up a student being tackled.

umassfan
December 17th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Actually the player is lucky he didnt tackle an app fan at that point in time
Im pretty sure the 1000's of fans would back up a student being tackled.
And im sure 1000's of app fans would spend the night in jail.

Appguy
December 17th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Are those going to be arrests by the same cops that keep us off the field?

umassfan
December 17th, 2006, 02:06 AM
Are those going to be arrests by the same cops that keep us off the field?
Yes

Appguy
December 17th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Exactly...since we werent kept off the field

Us being on the field isnt the issue anyway. HE could have handled himself better like the UMass players I talked too. I shook Baylark's hand and he was classy. No reason for London to not act the same
sour grapes
good luck next year

umassfan
December 17th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Exactly...since we werent kept off the field

Us being on the field isnt the issue anyway. HE could have handled himself better like the UMass players I talked too. I shook Baylark's hand and he was classy. No reason for London to not act the same
sour grapes
good luck next year
If I was a player and just lost... I wouldnt want the other teams fans getting in my way as im trying to get off the field either. If it were me, your butt would be on the turf... so you should be glad you only got an elbow.

Appguy
December 17th, 2006, 02:20 AM
Wasn't me, was another poster

That sounds like the same attitude of the Umass fans in amherst last night.
thats called assault wether or not were supposed to be on the field.

This is too off topic.
as said before congrats Umass and I hope Ihedigbo has success and makes it to the NFL

umassfan
December 17th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Wasn't me, was another poster

That sounds like the same attitude of the Umass fans in amherst last night.
thats called assault wether or not were supposed to be on the field.
Again it wouldnt matter because App fans werent allowed on the field. If they werent there he would have had a clear path to the locker room after the game.

Appguy
December 17th, 2006, 02:29 AM
fyi he wasn't going to the locker room at the time. just standing around watching the celebration.
Us not being "allowed" on the field doesn't give them a free pass to assault us. Theyd still lose in the courtroom like the pacers player did to the detriot fan that he punched inthe face for the NBA riot from a few years ago.

asudelt0119
December 17th, 2006, 08:14 AM
its not a very big deal. i just thought it was pretty classless to take aggression out on an innocent fan. I could see if i had gotten in his face, and made a comment about the game. I just said excuse me as i was walking by when he gave me a good ole forearm shiver to the gut.

lizrdgizrd
December 18th, 2006, 11:11 AM
its not a very big deal. i just thought it was pretty classless to take aggression out on an innocent fan. I could see if i had gotten in his face, and made a comment about the game. I just said excuse me as i was walking by when he gave me a good ole forearm shiver to the gut.
Guess you shouldda said good game instead? :eyebrow:

HLecter
December 18th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Only 3 of UMass's 1A transfers are starters. Most of them are from Massachusetts, Connecticut and New Jersey, and were among the people UMass was trying to recruit out of high school. If they were good enough that UMass wanted them out of high school, why would they turn down the same players' requests to transfer after a year or two at Rutgers or UConn? Should they turn down transfers into the engineering school because they went to MIT first?

Very good point, A lot of YSU transfers are kids "coming home" also. Schools at our level count on that.

HLecter
December 18th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Stupid classless post. here's a little secret: players want to transfer to come play for Don Brown because he is well known as a great teacher of the game and his players love the guy. here is another secret: most d1a transfers don't even start on UMass - which says something about the level of our recruiting. sorry you don't like the fact that students are free to transfer to whatever school they want. If you pathetically want to hold that against UMass then that is your problem pal.

Agree 100% and I love your "disclaimer", wish I had thought of that first!:bow:

HLecter
December 18th, 2006, 11:41 AM
FUNNY...HOW UH THREAD...'BOUT....CONGRATULATIONS......CAN GO SOUR.......IN UH HURRY......: smh :.....AWK!

THANKY TA UMA$$....FO' SHOWIN' DUH COUNTRY......'BOUT DUH A-10 FOOTBALL LEGACY........GREAT PLAY-OFF GAMES WHIFF....LAFAYETTE....NEW HAMPSHIRE......MONTANA....&....APPALACHIAN STATE.......DUH PILGRIMS...RAN THRU DUH A-10 SKED.........LIKE DROOL....THRU...UH GRIZZWOLD.......AN' WERE [email protected]' BUT RESPECT.....TA BAYLARK & COMPANY............:bow:....BRAWK!

Does he "talk" like this all the time?

Geesh:confused:

Pards Rule
December 18th, 2006, 11:41 AM
BigTimeCryBaby64,

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

How many teams in FCS do not have any transfers? :bawling: :bawling:

One I know of very well: Lafayette!

HLecter
December 18th, 2006, 11:47 AM
fyi he wasn't going to the locker room at the time. just standing around watching the celebration.
Us not being "allowed" on the field doesn't give them a free pass to assault us. Theyd still lose in the courtroom like the pacers player did to the detriot fan that he punched inthe face for the NBA riot from a few years ago.

Enough of this already, but I have to agree with UMASSFAN, I've been involved in a couple of those storm the field things and they are not pleasant.

The kid was standing there watching cause he probably COULDN'T make it to the locker room.

We might have to get moats built around the field like they do in some Euro soccer stadiums.

saint0917
December 18th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Does he "talk" like this all the time?

Geesh:confused:

Yes he does. :thumbsup:

CopperCat
December 18th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Dynasties are bad for any sport, especially college football. I sincerely hope that somebody in the SoConn comes up with a way to put App State away for awhile so that somebody else can be the giant slayer.

Minuteman87
December 19th, 2006, 07:01 AM
do not give any credit to UMASS at all...if they dont want to recruit athletes out of HS and just get kids from 1A they should have won this game... its giving 1aa a bad reputaion cuz its giving these kids in 1a a sense that if they suck in 1A they can just come in our leageu and be "good"... this game just shows me and everyone else around the league that maybe its better to train your own players not just aquire kids who are already coched and can play at a higher level...do they not trust their coaches or their recruiting ability? i duno...

I want all parents of high school kids out there to know that the spelling, grammar, punctuation and capitalization above are the result of a UNH education. My first-grader spells better than that. Whatever happens, don't send your kids to UNH, unless you want them to write like an 8 year old. :waawaa:

Now that I got that off my chest ...Thanks for all the kind words ASU fans. Your team deserved it, no doubt. It was a great game and a showcase to all the non-FCS fans out there that wasn't decided until that final TD with less than two minutes left. That being said, I am proud of UMass. Let's do it again next year!

lizrdgizrd
December 19th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Dynasties are bad for any sport, especially college football. I sincerely hope that somebody in the SoConn comes up with a way to put App State away for awhile so that somebody else can be the giant slayer.
You guys could always step up next year and take us out in the playoffs. The SoCon champ isn't always going to be the NC. As much as we'd like it to be so. :smiley_wi

james_lawfirm
December 19th, 2006, 08:08 PM

Well ain't that just crying in your beer? It may be a bit early to declare ASU a dynasty quite yet. After 4 or 5 NCs in a row, perhaps.

ASU has worked awfully hard to get to this point. Sooner or later someone will figure out how to stop the spread offense and counter its speed on defense with more speed. But for now, and in '07, it will be the team to beat.

Instead of wishing your team ill, I sincerely hope that your team is one day as good as ASU on the field. What is your avatar anyway? I don't think its Montana State, but I don't know what it is. Best wishes.

CopperCat
December 20th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Well ain't that just crying in your beer? It may be a bit early to declare ASU a dynasty quite yet. After 4 or 5 NCs in a row, perhaps.

ASU has worked awfully hard to get to this point. Sooner or later someone will figure out how to stop the spread offense and counter its speed on defense with more speed. But for now, and in '07, it will be the team to beat.

Instead of wishing your team ill, I sincerely hope that your team is one day as good as ASU on the field. What is your avatar anyway? I don't think its Montana State, but I don't know what it is. Best wishes.

I wish your team no ill. When one team is always there getting the media coverage and hype (in the FCS its Appy, in the BS it has been USC) it gets old. I don't think MSU has a snowball's chance in hell of being anywhere near the championship game, not until Kramer makes some changes in coaching (i.e. Don Bailey and his minions as offensive coordinator). What I'm saying is if Appy wins it all again, then it will start to get old, and we as fans will lose interest. You obviously can't make the game go one way or the other, I just want to see somebody else step up and take the crown. UC Davis, Cal Poly, UMass, Northern Iowa, Youngstown, Portland State, anybody really. There is a coach somewhere waiting for his chance. Hopefully that chance comes next year.

One more thing: Appy, your school chancelor is INSANE!!! Running around with the cheerleaders waving that trophy around, what a nutcase.

BeauFoster
December 20th, 2006, 12:56 PM
One more thing: Appy, your school chancelor is INSANE!!! Running around with the cheerleaders waving that trophy around, what a nutcase.

I would be real careful about badmouthing Peacock around any ASU fans. 99.99999% love the man for his enthusiasm and vigor for our university and will not tolerate it. You are welcome to have your opinion, but do not call him names, especially when you obviously don't have a clue what you are talking about.

tralfangar
December 20th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I would be real careful about badmouthing Peacock around any ASU fans. 99.99999% love the man for his enthusiasm and vigor for our university and will not tolerate it. You are welcome to have your opinion, but do not call him names, especially when you obviously don't have a clue what you are talking about.

I think he meant it as a compliment. It's not an insult to be an insane fan of our university. :smiley_wi

BeauFoster
December 20th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I think he meant it as a compliment. It's not an insult to be an insane fan of our university. :smiley_wi

I kinda thought that, but the "nutcase" tripped me a little. If he meant it as a compliment, then I apologize.

(Stupid internet - you can't ever tell what someone means)

tralfangar
December 20th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I kinda thought that, but the "nutcase" tripped me a little. If he meant it as a compliment, then I apologize.

(Stupid internet - you can't ever tell what someone means)

Well he kind of is a nutcase xlolx but aren't we all in some way? Either way he's our nutcase and we all love him:hurray: hahah

Pards Rule
December 20th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Well he kind of is a nutcase xlolx but aren't we all in some way? Either way he's our nutcase and we all love him:hurray: hahah

Can we run him against Elizabeth Dole??? She would have an interesting race on her hands!!!

CopperCat
December 20th, 2006, 05:14 PM

It wasn't meant to be nasty at all, Beau, it was sort of a compliment. I don't know of many (if any) college presidents/chancellors that would ever do something like that. Our pres here at MSU is completely worthless. We're lucky if we see him at the games at all. So yes, I would love to have a guy like that on the sidelines rooting for the team (even if he is a little wacky).

CopperCat
December 20th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Can we run him against Elizabeth Dole??? She would have an interesting race on her hands!!!

I don't think he trumps Howard Dean though, nobody does.

james_lawfirm
December 20th, 2006, 08:28 PM

I agree he is unique. But a nutcase? Insane? Think about it for a minute. Pretend you are the Chancellor of a large Univ. Your job is to make your school profitable. How? By making it a place where people WANT to go to school there AND PAY TUITION!!! How? You can advertise, but that costs money & might not be effective. You can get publicity, but this must be carefully done as bad publicity hurts your efforts. How about having a good football team that plays on ESPN frequently AND WINS!!!

OK, how to do that? Well, ASU had all the ingredients in place. Once we won the trophy last year, what to do? LET's DO IT AGAIN THIS YEAR! How? Same concerns as before, but this year we have this trophy to show off. So, do we keep it in some old dusty, moldy cabinet where nobody sees it? NO, let's parade it around during football games like its someone's cute puppy and fire up the crowd. Why? To help the football team & all of the other stuff outlined above.

So, point is, I would argue that Chancellor Peacock is neither insame or a nutcase. In fact, he may just be the smartest and most successful Chancellor in all of academia. As a result of his efforts to help the football team, last year ASU had over 12,000 applicants for its freshman class of 2,500 seats. ASU can choose its students. (When I went there, ASU was many students 2nd or 3rd choice for a school.) At least part, if not most, of this success can be attributed to the success of the football team. Seen in this light, the good Chancellor's antics do not seem so crazy. Seems rather rational in fact.

Why don't other Chancellors do this stuff? Don't know.

tralfangar
December 20th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I agree he is unique. But a nutcase? Insane? Think about it for a minute. Pretend you are the Chancellor of a large Univ. Your job is to make your school profitable. How? By making it a place where people WANT to go to school there AND PAY TUITION!!! How? You can advertise, but that costs money & might not be effective. You can get publicity, but this must be carefully done as bad publicity hurts your efforts. How about having a good football team that plays on ESPN frequently AND WINS!!!

OK, how to do that? Well, ASU had all the ingredients in place. Once we won the trophy last year, what to do? LET's DO IT AGAIN THIS YEAR! How? Same concerns as before, but this year we have this trophy to show off. So, do we keep it in some old dusty, moldy cabinet where nobody sees it? NO, let's parade it around during football games like its someone's cute puppy and fire up the crowd. Why? To help the football team & all of the other stuff outlined above.

So, point is, I would argue that Chancellor Peacock is neither insame or a nutcase. In fact, he may just be the smartest and most successful Chancellor in all of academia. As a result of his efforts to help the football team, last year ASU had over 12,000 applicants for its freshman class of 2,500 seats. ASU can choose its students. (When I went there, ASU was many students 2nd or 3rd choice for a school.) At least part, if not most, of this success can be attributed to the success of the football team. Seen in this light, the good Chancellor's antics do not seem so crazy. Seems rather rational in fact.

Why don't other Chancellors do this stuff? Don't know.

The full effects of the 2005 championship will not be seen until this year's application pool. This is because the majority of the applicants apply before December because our scholarship deadline is usually the first few days in December. Therefore, most of the applicants from last year didn't take the championship into account when they were applying since it happened in mid-December.

I would attribute our rising applicant pool to a slower process that has been happening over the last 15-20 years. Stronger academic programs, a student-first administration and culture, and one of the best undergraduate universities in the southeast. Appalachian is consistently seen as the 3rd best undergraduate university in North Carolina, and people really do want to go here. Also, the aesthetics of the region are a major reason too. So while football is important for exposure and getting the word out outside of the southeast that we exist, it is not THE reason people come to App.

mistersykes
December 21st, 2006, 12:03 AM
The full effects of the 2005 championship will not be seen until this year's application pool. This is because the majority of the applicants apply before December because our scholarship deadline is usually the first few days in December. Therefore, most of the applicants from last year didn't take the championship into account when they were applying since it happened in mid-December.

I would attribute our rising applicant pool to a slower process that has been happening over the last 15-20 years. Stronger academic programs, a student-first administration and culture, and one of the best undergraduate universities in the southeast. Appalachian is consistently seen as the 3rd best undergraduate university in North Carolina, and people really do want to go here. Also, the aesthetics of the region are a major reason too. So while football is important for exposure and getting the word out outside of the southeast that we exist, it is not THE reason people come to App.

True. It's certainly not the reason that I came to App.

lizrdgizrd
December 21st, 2006, 08:29 AM
True. It's certainly not the reason that I came to App.
I don't know of any students (aside from football players and hopefulls) who choose a school on the basis of its football program.

james_lawfirm
December 21st, 2006, 08:58 AM

I agree. I tried to say in my earlier post that the success of the football program was only part of the reason why applications were up.

rjg129
December 21st, 2006, 09:27 AM

I only went to App for the girls:thumbsup:

DCFan
December 21st, 2006, 11:09 AM

This statement is downright silly! The idea that 1A transfers have a huge impact on the field is just plain wrong. The bottom line is you're a sore loser who'd rather claim his team lost to UMass twice because of some "unfair reason" rather than check the facts.xidiotx

Umass74
December 21st, 2006, 12:27 PM
This statement is downright silly! The idea that 1A transfers have a huge impact on the field is just plain wrong. The bottom line is you're a sore loser who'd rather claim his team lost to UMass twice because of some "unfair reason" rather than check the facts.

UMass had two transfers start on Offense against Appalachian in the National Championship game. A JUCO offensive guard and our TE. All the rest, including Baylark were four year UMass players.

On defense, we started two transfers against the Mountaineers, one DE (who transfered from Lehigh!) and one LB who spent his redshirt freshman year at Vanderbilt. All the rest were four year UMass recruits.

UMass likes to play a lot of packages. A number of I-A transfers play in those situations. Total I-A players with some playing time probably runs to eight or so. But of the base 22 (and all three of our All-Americans) 18 of them are four year UMass players. Add one I-A to the total when we play two-back sets.

Our QB is also home-grown.

Umass74
December 21st, 2006, 12:29 PM
I only went to App for the girls

A man with his priorities straight. :)