PDA

View Full Version : How many more championships for ASU with Edwards?

UMass922
December 16th, 2006, 11:10 AM
With Edwards at QB, Appalachian State should continue to contend for national titles the next three years. How many more championships will the Mountaineers win by the time Edwards graduates?

BisBison
December 16th, 2006, 11:11 AM
With Edwards at QB, Appalachian State should continue to contend for national titles the next three years. How many more championships will the Mountaineers win by the time Edwards graduates?

agreed that guy is scary good. :bow: :bow:

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 16th, 2006, 11:24 AM
......No doubt he will be great........would be hard to place a number at this time...teams change...kids graduate..............but look for them to be a top contender for many years.....

Black and Gold Express
December 16th, 2006, 11:28 AM
It will all depend on our recruiting. Midway through the season, Coach Moore said the kids we have on both lines that were redshirting were going to be as good or better than what we had on the field this year. If that comes to be true, then we should be in the hunt every year for the next few.

If we can keep up the recruiting success, it will bode very well for us.

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Depends on guys around him, but I would think at least one.

AZGrizFan
December 16th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Depends. Do they have another Richardson waiting in the wings?

Black and Gold Express
December 16th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Depends. Do they have another Richardson waiting in the wings?

Did you not see the good runs by Devon Moore in the postseason? He's a true freshman as well. Faster than Richardson, though not as patient waiting on the blocks. I think he'll be a good one though, and he gets another year to learn under Richardson.

AgentPaul001
December 16th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Yah Devon Moore had a solid showing, I didn't realize he was a True Freshmen as well...Rock on!

JDC325
December 16th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Really dont want to think about it....

I sending the game tape to WVU....xlolx

youwouldno
December 16th, 2006, 12:36 PM
I think even 1 more would be pretty impressive. None is more likely than 2... Edwards is good but he's not the whole team. And the desire has to be there.

soweagle
December 16th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Way too many variables. Injuries, personalities, graduation, sophmore jinx (Edwards), grades, off season problems, coaches moving on to different schools, etc.. all of these can change the tempo and momentum that ASU is on right now. They should be in the title hunt every year with Edwards at the helm, excluding something major happening, but to say they will win it again in the next 3 years is putting too much on the team. Heck, I've watched GSU teams that are probably better than any of the championship teams GSU has fielded lose early because of the mentality of they expected to win the NC.

ngineer
December 16th, 2006, 01:24 PM
One player does not a team make. Yes, he is a great talent, but the unique thing about college football is that it is so much dependent on the surrounding cast, emotion and mental prep. Too many 'greats' have never won championships, so Edwards should feel blessed he has this one. It can be spring board to a 'dynasty' but there a lot of excellent teams out there gunning. A real accomplishment if they get to 'big dance' again next year.

mistersykes
December 16th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Each time you try for another, it probably gets harder rather than easier, so its impossible to predict something like that. However, if things continue, I could see another in the next two years.

GaSouthern
December 16th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Even with adrian peterson coming back GSU could not win more than two and could not make the big game more than three times in a row. I expect a surging SoCon team to get a few wins over Appy next year. heck, the worst GSU team i've ever seen took them in triple overtime. We will end their streak at home next year, you heard it here first! ;)

JDC325
December 16th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Even with adrian peterson coming back GSU could not win more than two and could not make the big game more than three times in a row. I expect a surging SoCon team to get a few wins over Appy next year. heck, the worst GSU team i've ever seen took them in triple overtime. We will end their streak at home next year, you heard it here first! ;)

Oh boy....Lets just win a couple at home first before we start thinking about App State away.

Mr. C
December 16th, 2006, 02:35 PM
A surging SoCon team will get a FEW wins over App State next year? How many times is Georgia Southern planning on playing the Mountaineers in 2007? ASU played its worst game of the year against Georgia Southern and still beat the Eagles, overcoming a bunch of turnovers and a fumble return for a touchdown. It was Armanti Edwards' least effective game as a starter (don't be fouled by the 350 yards or so of total offense he had that day, his decision-making was very poor). But good teams find ways to win, even when they don't play well. By the way, ASU beat GSU in DOUBLE OT, not triple OT. One final note, the Eagles have won only twice ever in Boone, in 1993 and 2001. This has been a series dominated by the home team. The Georgia Southern team I saw in 2006 has a LONG WAY to go to pull itself from the bottom of the SoCon. Only winless Western Carolina had a worse team in the league than GSU this year. And who knows if Van Gorder will even be back next year. There were a lot of sources in Chattanooga during championship week that were saying Van Gorder is looking at every available option for getting out of Statesboro.

nlwwln
December 16th, 2006, 02:40 PM
armanti edwards is something else, the kid is a straight baller. 6'0 155 ?!? he flat out controlled the game. What can you say about him? App just has the ball rolling in their direction. Hats off to them.

BigApp
December 16th, 2006, 02:57 PM
I think even 1 more would be pretty impressive. None is more likely than 2... Edwards is good but he's not the whole team. And the desire has to be there.

I agree with all, except that last statement. Personally, I don't think "desire" will be an issue with him. Next year it's Richardson's team. After that Edwards (should he continue to be the model player he is) is this team's Captain for his Junior and Senior year.

BULLDOG8180
December 16th, 2006, 03:07 PM
I agree with all, except that last statement. Personally, I don't think "desire" will be an issue with him. Next year it's Richardson's team. After that Edwards (should he continue to be the model player he is) is this team's Captain for his Junior and Senior year.

I agree, Armanti likes to win, I don't see that going away anytime soon.

JDC325
December 16th, 2006, 03:11 PM
A surging SoCon team will get a FEW wins over App State next year? How many times is Georgia Southern planning on playing the Mountaineers in 2007? ASU played its worst game of the year against Georgia Southern and still beat the Eagles, overcoming a bunch of turnovers and a fumble return for a touchdown. It was Armanti Edwards' least effective game as a starter (don't be fouled by the 350 yards or so of total offense he had that day, his decision-making was very poor). But good teams find ways to win, even when they don't play well. By the way, ASU beat GSU in DOUBLE OT, not triple OT. One final note, the Eagles have won only twice ever in Boone, in 1993 and 2001. This has been a series dominated by the home team. The Georgia Southern team I saw in 2006 has a LONG WAY to go to pull itself from the bottom of the SoCon. Only winless Western Carolina had a worse team in the league than GSU this year. And who knows if Van Gorder will even be back next year. There were a lot of sources in Chattanooga during championship week that were saying Van Gorder is looking at every available option for getting out of Statesboro.

Houston the App Homer has landed. Thanks for telling us what we allready knew.

OhioHen
December 16th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Graduation of Murrell and others will significantly affect the Mountaineer defense. System produced well with two different QBs, but the losses on D will be the show stopper. :twocents:

Note that UMass had very few Seniors in the starting lineup on either side of the ball.

GGASU
December 16th, 2006, 05:06 PM
armanti edwards is something else, the kid is a straight baller. 6'0 155 ?!? he flat out controlled the game. What can you say about him? App just has the ball rolling in their direction. Hats off to them.

I noticed the announcers kept saying 155lbs last night. The ASU Media guide at the begginning of the year listed him at 175. Last week the announcers kept calling him 165 lbs, and now this week 155.

The UMass message board compared him to Allen Iverson in shoulder pads, I think that is a great comparison.

B&G
December 16th, 2006, 05:54 PM
155 soaking wet according to Trevor Matich. At this rate he may weigh 115 by the beginning of the '07 season.

LehighFan11
December 16th, 2006, 06:11 PM
I say App St gets 2 out of 3. Edwards and Richardson should won next year. Factor in one off year beacuse of a key injury or maybe a coach leaving. The App St head coach Moore should get a I-A job. I can see App St staying on top for a while beacuse they will control recuriting down there since Furman and Georgia Southern are not at their peaks. Congrats App St. Look foward to watching Edwards mature, wow that is scary.

Saint3333
December 16th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Moore isn't going anywhere. The key will be to replace the DL, OL, Mayfield, and Wiggins for next year. I think we're deep enough at LB and WR, and potential OL to reload. But DL and Safety (the hardest hitting and one of the best run stopping safeties ASU ever had) will be harder to replace. No one has every won 3 in a row and with the losses on the line I'm not sure ASU can do it. Of course I said that last year with the losses of Richie and Hunter...

GSU Eagle
December 16th, 2006, 07:21 PM
The odds are certainly against ASU. First no team has ever won 3 in a row. Second there is always the tendency to drop down a bit after being on top. Third many, many factors including luck at times go into a team winning a championship.

ASU is at the top right now though. Anyone who watched the playoffs this year has to say that App. is a legit champion. As a GSU fan the turnaround in App. football the last couple of years has been amazing. You can see it on the field also. The team just believes they will win. I can't say that has always been the case over the last 10 years.

So enjoy it. Don't take success for granted. A team never knows if they will ever get back to Chattanooga again. We here at GSU have learned that lesson.

skinny_uncle
December 16th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Too many variables for a prediction. Kids graduate. Guys get hurt. Other teams improve. It's hard enough to go back-to-back. That was quite an accomplishment in itself. Enjoy it.

Seven Would Be Nice
December 16th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Edwards is good, but the league has seen his level of talent before. At GSU alone we have had Tracy Ham, and Adrian Peterson (and others) that have dominated at their position, set numerous NCAA records, and helped win National Titles.... but it takes a whole complete team to win a championship.

SouthernEagle02
December 16th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Here's why.
1) Way too many unknowns
2) The SoCon will be much stronger next year. Look for improvement in Wofford, Furman, and of course the Eagles
3) Edwards is only one man.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 16th, 2006, 08:02 PM
I don't want to be cocky but I did have to vote 1. Edwards is just too tough. When you add in an explosive back like Richardson, that's a deadly combination. If we replace graduates with awesome blockers on the O-Line, then why not 1 or more?

blukeys
December 16th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Edwards is a great talent and I can see ASU getting one more NC during his tenure, but winning requires more than an excellent QB. Defense is really important. If UNH had ASU's defense we would be talking about Ricky Santos. :nod: :nod:

GrizRchattybound
December 16th, 2006, 10:09 PM
One, and that kid is the Isht.!!!

Congrats

You all think the same Final 4 will be back next year?...any of the Final 4?

I see the Griz and APPY back.... my 2 cents, WTF though, I'm biased.

BULLDOG8180
December 16th, 2006, 11:09 PM
I think one more is certainly a possibility. But, as others have pointed out, it takes a lot of talent all over the field, good coaching, and lots of luck.

soweagle
December 17th, 2006, 02:41 PM

...and of course the GSU defense had nothing to do with turnovers or bad descisions made by Edwards. The ASU game was the turning point for GSU. They were starting to show improvement up to that point. After losing to ASU all hopes of playoffs were gone and the season went down from that point forward. Sure the team was fired up for Furman just like most rival games. I wonder what a field goal made against UTC would have done for the rest of the season after the ASU lose.

As far as VanGorder, he either needs to clean up what he started so he can salvage his resume or he should leave now before he continues destroying his resume. The man is in a tough situation. So far I'm not impressed.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 17th, 2006, 03:03 PM
It is possible to win it three times in a row. If it wasn't for that fumble on the second half kickoff that seemed to suck all the momentum away from us, I think we could have beaten Furman in the semis in '01 and we would have been in 'nooga for the NC.

X-Factor
December 17th, 2006, 04:47 PM
I really do think ASU has enough to make it 3 in a row, but all bets are off after that since the Bison are playoff eligible in '08. :smiley_wi

appisgreatest
December 17th, 2006, 05:06 PM
I believe ASU has a great chance at the Southern Conference championship. As for the National Championship, thats too far off to predict if they have a good chance at getting there. They lost key players (Murrell, Lynch and Wiggins to name a few) on defense. But I definitely see App going to another championship in a couple of years when up and coming players on defense step up in filling in the holes left by starting players graduating this year.. :thumbsup:

ASUSig
December 17th, 2006, 05:08 PM
As an App. State student i would love for us to 3peat. However, losing players to grad. and possible injuries and off the field stuff could make some key players ineligible. Speaking of... wasn't it Atwater that got booted and made room for K. Rich? And i've heard K. Rich was the #7 RB on the depth chart as a freshman. I've talked to some players and they dont say they have the "BEST" players.. their players have HEART... and thats what it takes sometimes. As far as depth is concerned, w/ 2 NC's now that can bring us some good players/transfers. I'm NOT saying we ARE going to win 3 in a row.. but it could happen. Expect ASU to be a strong contender again next year!

Appguy
December 17th, 2006, 05:10 PM
(Murrell, Lynch and Wiggins to name a few)

Lynch is a junior

appisgreatest
December 17th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Lynch is a junior

Thats right, wasn't he redshirted a year or two ago? I got confused because my roommate told me that Lynch was in his class our freshman year so i assumed he was graduating with us this year.

ericappstate
December 17th, 2006, 05:15 PM
They lost key players (Murrell, Lynch and Wiggins to name a few) on defense.

Lynch is a junior. We still have him for a year :nod:.

ericappstate
December 17th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Thats right, wasn't he redshirted a year or two ago? I got confused because my roommate told me that Lynch was in his class our freshman year so i assumed he was graduating with us this year.

Medical redshirt because of an elbow injury similar to the one he had this year.

hapapp
December 17th, 2006, 06:07 PM
"The odds are certainly against ASU. First no team has ever won 3 in a row. Second there is always the tendency to drop down a bit after being on top. Third many, many factors including luck at times go into a team winning a championship." --GSU Eagle

Some valid observations. ASU certainly has the talent base to contend again. But key losses on the D line will be a big question mark. To win requires some good fortune and avoiding injuries to key players. All of that requires way too much conjecture at this point. A key will to be able to focus on each game and not look too far ahead. That is certainly something the team this year was able to do.

appsfan
December 17th, 2006, 06:47 PM
I think that with some luck, we can capture one more championship. I expect the Mountaineers to be in the hunt each year, but as many of you have said, there are too many variables out there whxih can derail a team before they get to Chattanooga.

SoCon48
December 17th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Even with adrian peterson coming back GSU could not win more than two and could not make the big game more than three times in a row. I expect a surging SoCon team to get a few wins over Appy next year. heck, the worst GSU team i've ever seen took them in triple overtime. ;)

We will end their streak at home next year, you heard it here first!
xlolx xlolx xlolx
Just remember the Rock two years ago, and you'll forget that crap.

SoCon48
December 17th, 2006, 09:28 PM
"The odds are certainly against ASU. First no team has ever won 3 in a row. Second there is always the tendency to drop down a bit after being on top. Third many, many factors including luck at times go into a team winning a championship." --GSU Eagle

Some valid observations. ASU certainly has the talent base to contend again. But key losses on the D line will be a big question mark. To win requires some good fortune and avoiding injuries to key players. All of that requires way too much conjecture at this point. A key will to be able to focus on each game and not look too far ahead. That is certainly something the team this year was able to do.

You're certainly right about the odds of 3 in a row, but the odds were against a lot things this year, too. Like against breaking Youngstowns 6-0 in the semis streak, scoring on UMass in the second half (weren't they un scored on in the 2nd half during the other 3 play-off games?), winning a national championship with a freshman QB (wasn't Edwards the first?)

BLUE TIGER
December 17th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Jerry Moore should be the next coach at BAMA!!!!!!!

AZGrizFan
December 18th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Did you not see the good runs by Devon Moore in the postseason? He's a true freshman as well. Faster than Richardson, though not as patient waiting on the blocks. I think he'll be a good one though, and he gets another year to learn under Richardson.

Sorry. Only got to see some of the MSU/ASU game....not much call for ASU games here in Phoenix....and I missed the chipper due to work responsibilities. If you've got another Richardson, and based on who ELSE you've got coming back, you guys should be doing just fine.... :eek: :eek: :eek: :bang: :bang: :bang:

OL FU
December 18th, 2006, 07:21 AM
I voted zero, enough is enough. Any more would just be piggy:D :smiley_wi

HiHiYikas
December 18th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Repeating must be a very, very tall order in any college sport with playoffs. You have the personnel changes that occur on the field each year, the growth of other programs, injuries...more X factors than anybody can count. I am pretty impressed that ASU had the makeup to even repeat.

Still, success breeds success, particularly when much of that success is being generated by returning players. I'm not sure what it takes to build a dynasty at the playoff-level in College football, but it's starting to look like ASU is doing it the right way. There were times this year when ASU looked like the mid 90's Thundering Herd, about whom one of my friends says "it wasn't a matter of whether they were going to beat you, it was how bad. The game was literally over before it began." It's an amazing prospect to consider, but maybe ASU hasn't topped out yet.

I hope for 2 more titles in the next 4 years, more-or-less expect 1, but understand fully that none of that's going to be easy.

And, the end of any conversation like this dererves the disclaimer - it's really better to enjoy this season's championship than to start looking towards next season.