PDA

View Full Version : A really early look at 2016 SoCon teams

Smitty
March 3rd, 2016, 08:20 AM
Here is the spring primer from Stats. Not going to copy the whole article down but figured you can quote your own team if you want...

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20160302122130887270604&ref=rec&tm&src=FCS

WESTERN CAROLINA
2015 Records: 7-4 overall, 5-2 Southern (3rd)
Spring Practices: March 4-April 8
Storyline: The big loss is veteran quarterback Troy Mitchell - the program's all-time leader in total offense. Redshirt freshmen Kalen Whitlow and Tyrie Adams and Mars Hill transfer Garrett Young will battle for the No. 1 job. It also hurts to lose three starters on the offensive line, but the new QB will have excellent weapons around him in Detrez Newsome - the Catamounts' first 1,000-yard rusher since 2006 - and wide receivers Spearman Robinson and Terryon Robinson, who missed last season with a wrist injury. Dustin Landry was recently named defensive coordinator and will have to retool the line, but there was young defensive depth a year ago and excellent linebacker Daniel Riddle has two more seasons ahead.

We have some big holes to fill, especially at QB. I could see us taking a step back next year honestly, as long as it isn't a step back into the dark ages...

catamount man
March 3rd, 2016, 07:41 PM
I don't think QB will be that bad provided that redshirted kid, his name escapes me and I don't feel like pulling up WCU's website, shows up. Overall, people are gunning for us now. I say we finish between 5-6 and 7-4. I always was looking ahead to 2017 and 2018. GO CATS!!!

PaladinNation
March 4th, 2016, 06:53 AM
Should be an interesting year for Furman…
The September schedule is BRUTAL.
Big shake up in assistant coaches. (not as big on offense as fans would have wanted)
The OL is going to see a lot of first-year players.
How much PT will we see from (IMO) the best incoming freshmen class in years?

FUBeAR
March 4th, 2016, 07:21 AM
MERCER
2015 Records: 5-6 overall, 2-5 Southern (Tie/6th)
Spring Practices: Feb. 8-March 4
Storyline:
Year 4 of the return to football brings a highly experienced squad as coach Bobby Lamb has welcomed back ̶1̶1̶ 10 starters on offense and 10 on defense.
Last year's team upset Chattanooga, but it needs to play with consistency if the Bears are going to winning more often in the SoCon.
John Russ returns for his fourth season as the starting quarterback and there always seems to be plenty of running backs (Alex Lakes and Tee Mitchell included) and all-purpose threats.
Injuries hurt the Bears last season, so their depth has to be better.
One of the players returning from injury is linebacker LeMarkus Bailey, who was off to a great start before he was lost in the third game of the year.

OTHER 2015 Starters who missed multiple games due to injury

*Wilson Heres, OG (Graduated)
*Alex Avant, CB (Graduated)
*Chandler Curtis, WR, RS (Returning)
**Tosin Aguebor, OLB (Returning)(Missed or seriously limited - not 100% sure)
*Alex Lakes, RB (Returning)
*Robert Brown, TE (Returning)
*Kyle Williams, OLB (Returning)
Tunde Ayinla, DL (Returning)
Tripp Patterson, ILB (Returning)

* Previously named to 1 or more All-SoCon Teams
** Previously named All-PFL

Hate to see the Bears lose those two 3-year (4-year, if you count their practice year) All-SoCon-Level Starters, but losing only 1 Starting on each side of the ball is still pretty good in terms of experience returning. Getting back Curtis, Aguebor (at full strength), Lakes, Bailey, Brown, and the others should be a BIG boost for Mercer. Add the maturing classes who did play last year, the 15+ redshirts who did not, another 'scholarshipped' recruiting class, and a few transfers sprinkling in and I think the Bears should be right in the mix for the SoCon Title in 2016. Might even catch those FBS Yellow Jackets sleeping off a heavy Guiness hangover after they play Boston College in Ireland the week before the Bears make their 'big-stage' debut in the ATL. Should be FUN to watch to see how an almost-grown BearSquad does this Season.

PaladinFan
March 4th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Should be an interesting year for Furman…
The September schedule is BRUTAL.
Big shake up in assistant coaches. (not as big on offense as fans would have wanted)
The OL is going to see a lot of first-year players.
How much PT will we see from (IMO) the best incoming freshmen class in years?

This is the real put up or shutup year for Furman.

I like the coaching staff hires. Certainly seems like the season will be won or lost based on how well the young offensive line comes together and whether the defensive line can regroup to stop the run. Last season was a new system on both offense and defense, so let's hope there is some marked improvement out there. I feel we have the talent to compete, just need to get the pieces working together.

Milktruck74
March 4th, 2016, 07:05 PM
CHATTANOOGA
2015 Records: 9-4 overall, 6-1 Southern (Tie/1st)
Spring Practices: March 28-April 23
Storyline: It feels so different without quarterback Jacob Huesman, a four-year starter and three-time SoCon offensive player of the year, leading the way, but the Mocs will surround new signal caller Alejandro Bennifield with nine returning offensive starters. The left-hander is talented as well with speed and a strong arm. But running back Derrick Craine working behind offensive lineman Corey Levin will be the first option for the three-time defending conference champs. The defense is strong in the secondary and pass rusher Keionta Davis is back to terrorize opposing quarterbacks, although the Mocs have to build depth on the defensive line. They will even be strong on special teams so coach Russ Huesman is simply reloading, not lamenting the graduation of his son.

Everybody thinks that the Mocs are going to take a big step back with the loss of Jacob Huesman...I think the team will miss his leadership (he was a Field General, a Coach on the field, and any other cliche you can think of), but those of us that have seen Bennifield in action realize he is probably a better athlete and a much more polished passer than Jacob. I think we don't miss a beat at the QB spot next year!!!!

FUBeAR
March 4th, 2016, 08:18 PM
CHATTANOOGA - I think we don't miss a beat at the QB spot next year!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vycuQoHJ80

chattownmocs
March 4th, 2016, 09:18 PM
I don't think polished is the word. But bennifield is gonna be a star, not only in the league, but nationally.

You can't replace huesmans toughness and consistency; but you can put a star talent back there that has been groomed for 3 years, and that's exactly what the Mocs will do.

Overall, it's the most returning experience and talent we have ever had. If we dont win at least a share of a 4th straight title it's because somebody passed us, not because we took a step back.

SU DOG
March 4th, 2016, 10:42 PM
Samford will be very solid, and probably a contender.

catamount man
March 6th, 2016, 02:06 PM
Samford will be very solid, and probably a contender.

Yeah, I look for you guys to bounce back. GO CATS!

PaladinFan
March 6th, 2016, 08:06 PM
Just my opinion, but in my experience watching FCS football, teams do not simply replace great players with a "next man up" philosophy.

Husemann is the best offensive player UTC has had in a generation. I don't think they are just going to hand it to the backup without a hitch.

chattownmocs
March 6th, 2016, 11:16 PM
Just my opinion, but in my experience watching FCS football, teams do not simply replace great players with a "next man up" philosophy.

Husemann is the best offensive player UTC has had in a generation. I don't think they are just going to hand it to the backup without a hitch.

He's not a backup.

PaladinFan
March 7th, 2016, 06:36 AM
He's not a backup.

I'll point you to UTC's own website that calls him a backup. http://gomocs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5450&path=fb

Mocs123
March 7th, 2016, 02:40 PM
Our season will depend on how well Bennifield does to a large degree, but also how effective the OC is at adapting the gameplan. Bennifield is an effective runner, but he can not run the ball 20 times a game like Huesman did. He supposedly has a really good arm and I tend to believe that from what little I have seen him play.

I agree that he can not replace Huesman, and he is not going to run for 1000 yards this year, but he might run for 500. We need another RB to step up and help out Bennifield and Craine.

As to the "next man up" we seem to have done really well at DE with Josh Beard, Josh Williams, Davis Tull, and Keionta Davis, however I realize that that isn't the norm.

I think most SoCon teams will be better this year so the Mocs have to be strong right out of the gate.

PaladinFan
March 7th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Our season will depend on how well Bennifield does to a large degree, but also how effective the OC is at adapting the gameplan. Bennifield is an effective runner, but he can not run the ball 20 times a game like Huesman did. He supposedly has a really good arm and I tend to believe that from what little I have seen him play.

I agree that he can not replace Huesman, and he is not going to run for 1000 yards this year, but he might run for 500. We need another RB to step up and help out Bennifield and Craine.

As to the "next man up" we seem to have done really well at DE with Josh Beard, Josh Williams, Davis Tull, and Keionta Davis, however I realize that that isn't the norm.

I think most SoCon teams will be better this year so the Mocs have to be strong right out of the gate.

Sure. Of course, there is an ocean's worth of difference between replacing a defensive end and replacing a quarterback.

Just from my observations, but it really has less to do with whether the backup is a talented player. Great players like Huseman are not only really good players in their own right, but also make those around them that much better. Next guy will be talented, but maybe a step slower, field vision not quite as good, touch on the passes not quite on point, or accuracy just a little off.

The list of teams adjusting at this level to losing a great player just goes on and on. You go back over the last 10-15 seasons and it is hard to find a SoCon team that did not take a substantial hit in production after graduating one of their all time greats (Jayson Foster, Armanti Edwards, Jerome Felton, Ingle Martin, Dakota Dozier, Scott Riddle, Eric Britenstein, etc.).

chattanoogamocs
March 8th, 2016, 02:55 PM

I keep waiting for the day that you realize there is only one "n" in Huesman. ;)

But seriously, remember when everyone thought it was going to be tough to replace Richie Williams at App State?

Anyone remember how the Vols did the year after they replaced Peyton Manning at QB?

Could there be a hitch, or an adjustment period? Sure. But, I also honestly don't think the Mocs will take much of a step back at QB. He won't run as much, he can't bruise for yards like Jacob did, but he definitely has a better, stronger, more accurate arm than Huesman did.

FUBeAR
March 8th, 2016, 07:36 PM
he definitely has a better, stronger, more accurate arm than Huesman did.

...and you KNOW this from the 1.18 passes per game that he has played in (17) over the past 2 years? That's a VERY BIG endorsement from a VERY SMALL sample size. I don't put much stock in Spring Practice observations - no position is affected more than the QB when the bullets are live & flying on game day. You may end up being correct, but I just don't see how you (all) can feel comfortable making those BIG claims about a guy that has, essentially, only been a witness to the 3 Time SoCon Offensive POY playing QB for the Mocs. Huesman's ability to run allowed him to kill opponents with his strong enough and accurate enough arm and his ability to pass with enough zip and accuracy to clearly get the job done left him a lot of room to run. Since he clearly WAS a Moc, IMHO, it doesn't take anything away from the Mocs to say that, on offense, without him in there, Chatt would have been an average to slightly below average SoCon Team the past 2 years. I think that became obvious in the very, very few games that he did not play particularly well. My very close analysis told me time and time again, young Mr. Huesman was the Shoe/Train/Bird/Snake that made the Moc's O Run/Roll/Fly/Hiss during his tenure in the QB position. Maybe his replacement will pick up without missing a sole/track/whistle/fang...or maybe he won't.

Smitty
March 8th, 2016, 07:55 PM
Chatt would have been an average to slightly below average SoCon Team the past 2 years.

Yeah instead of winning 41-13 this year, it probably would have been 36-13...

FUBeAR
March 8th, 2016, 10:39 PM
Yeah instead of winning 41-13 this year, it probably would have been 36-13...

So, your assessment is the 3 time SoCon Off. POY was worth only +5 PPG for the Mocs? Seems to me that's akin to calling him the Trent Dilfer of the Ravens Super Bowl-winning Team. We must've been watching the Mocs play in parallel universes, then. I would say he was worth at least +3 TD's / game or more.

chattownmocs
March 9th, 2016, 05:40 AM
They are going to be longing for the days of huesman runs up the middle. Chattanooga's offense is about to explode. Not to mention what the the defense is about to do. It's gonna be scary this year.

FUBeAR
March 9th, 2016, 05:56 AM
They are going to be longing for the days of huesman runs up the middle. Chattanooga's offense is about to explode. Not to mention what the the defense is about to do. It's gonna be scary this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOgT9Ifw6Io

PaladinFan
March 9th, 2016, 06:34 AM
I keep waiting for the day that you realize there is only one "n" in Huesman. ;)

But seriously, remember when everyone thought it was going to be tough to replace Richie Williams at App State?

Anyone remember how the Vols did the year after they replaced Peyton Manning at QB?

Could there be a hitch, or an adjustment period? Sure. But, I also honestly don't think the Mocs will take much of a step back at QB. He won't run as much, he can't bruise for yards like Jacob did, but he definitely has a better, stronger, more accurate arm than Huesman did.

A couple of points. I am not drawing the comparison to FBS teams that can reload every single season. Capturing once in a generation players at the FCS level is much more difficult (as UTC fans can attest).

Second, I'm not suggesting these are just "good" players. Richie Williams was a good player. He was a system QB surrounded by a talented cast and a good defense. The better question, I think, is what happened to App State after Armanti Edwards graduated (10-3, 8-4, 8-4, 4-8). Not to take anything away from Williams, but you could watch App State 5 minutes and see that he was not as talented as Edwards. Heck, App State won a slugfest against Furman in the semifinals in 2005 without Williams even in the game.

I am not talking about just good players or all conference players. I am talking about "this is the best guy we've had at this position in 30 years." A guy who carries the water for your program three or four years.

UTC may not miss a step. If they don't, they would be an exception to the rule. UTC was the SoCon's best team, but lets not pretend they were not running away from every opponent like the mid-2000s App teams did. They had some very tight games. Games where having the best offensive player in a generation probably made something of a difference in the outcome.

*I know Huseman has one "n." I had a close friend in college who spelled their name "Husemann." Old habits die hard.

Milktruck74
March 9th, 2016, 07:16 AM
It'll be fun to watch. I remember when BJ coleman was the best QB we would ever see in Navy Blue and Old Gold....and at that point he was....then along came Jacob....As good as Jacob was, I think AB add a different element that will expand the elements of our offense. I don't think he is truly a better all around QB (jacob had too many intangables to count), but his style will force others around him to step up their games. Jacob was great, but the team relied on him way too much. This year we really missed that Big/strong Sure handed TE to convert the 3rd and long, and the team relied on Jacob to get those on his own....that wont be as valid of an option next year, so I think the other 10 on the field step up and some there super stars emerge. As much as it pains me to bring up, look at the players that stepped up in 98 after Peyton graduated at UT....Tee Martin wasn't the player Peyton was, but his play forced the likes of Peerless Price, Travis henry, Jamal Lewis to step up and contribute....sometimes a great player allows teams to get complacent. I'm looking forward to seeing AB lead the team this year.

FUBeAR
March 9th, 2016, 07:44 AM
It'll be fun to watch. I remember when BJ coleman was the best QB we would ever see in Navy Blue and Old Gold....and at that point he was....then along came Jacob....As good as Jacob was, I think AB add a different element that will expand the elements of our offense. I don't think he is truly a better all around QB (jacob had too many intangables to count), but his style will force others around him to step up their games. Jacob was great, but the team relied on him way too much. This year we really missed that Big/strong Sure handed TE to convert the 3rd and long, and the team relied on Jacob to get those on his own....that wont be as valid of an option next year, so I think the other 10 on the field step up and some there super stars emerge. As much as it pains me to bring up, look at the players that stepped up in 98 after Peyton graduated at UT....Tee Martin wasn't the player Peyton was, but his play forced the likes of Peerless Price, Travis henry, Jamal Lewis to step up and contribute....sometimes a great player allows teams to get complacent. I'm looking forward to seeing AB lead the team this year.

Now, that is some good logic and makes sense....a lot more sense than the previous posts by you Mocs on this topic in this thread. Different, and in that difference, the whole becomes greater is certainly a possibility as opposed to "We KNOW the guy who has thrown 20 passes in college is WAY better than our 3-time POY!"

See PaladinFan, I don't disagree for the sake of disagreeing. When someone posts a well-thought-out, logical, well-researched opinion, I can be convinced and agree with them....even with you sometimes. Your posts in this thread, in fact, have been on point, IMHO.

Nice work Milktruck and PaladinFan! Chatttttttown....not so much.

PaladinFan
March 9th, 2016, 09:21 AM
Now, that is some good logic and makes sense....a lot more sense than the previous posts by you Mocs on this topic in this thread. Different, and in that difference, the whole becomes greater is certainly a possibility as opposed to "We KNOW the guy who has thrown 20 passes in college is WAY better than our 3-time POY!"

See PaladinFan, I don't disagree for the sake of disagreeing. When someone posts a well-thought-out, logical, well-researched opinion, I can be convinced and agree with them....even with you sometimes. Your posts in this thread, in fact, have been on point, IMHO.

Nice work Milktruck and PaladinFan! Chatttttttown....not so much.

I won't say that this theory is 100% fool proof, I just find that it plays out virtually every time we see a team being carried by one of their all time greats.

It was further confirmed to me the past two years. Furman, as you know, was routinely producing 1,000 yard rushers and was a second round playoff team in 2013. Two years after that, we had one of the worst rushing outputs in program history as the offense was historically bad. Bad coaching? Untalented players? I say neither.

Prior to 2014, Furman had Dakota Dozier. While OL are difficult to measure, Dozier had an incredible run at Furman and was one of the most impressive players I have seen at the OT in the SoCon. You do not realize how much better a single talented player like that makes not only the offensive line, but everyone on the offense. I personally think a lot of holes in Furman's offense were badly exposed after Dozier graduated. He was a guy that could neutralize a large portion of the field and drive guys completely out of the play. A bit easier to run the football when the defensive tackle is eating turf over by the waterboy, I think.

Milktruck74
March 9th, 2016, 12:03 PM
Wow, rarely am I referred to as.... "Logical" but I'll take it. I think the other guys are high on this kid because we have seen him in action (albeit practice and spring games)....but there is something special about him. I feel confident with the offense in his hands. And the coaching staff (not just in public, because they are required to do that, but privately too) have sang his praises for the last two years. Tis rare to have a player like Jacob lead the way for so long, and it is even more rare to take a step forward after a kid with that kind of career leaves, but if anybody can move this team to that next level, it is AB.

chattanoogamocs
March 10th, 2016, 01:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOgT9Ifw6Io

LOL...that's a funny line and apropos to your point.

Unfortunately, the Snipes character is cocky and arrogant and ends up losing out in the end. :)

FUBeAR
March 10th, 2016, 01:36 PM
LOL...that's a funny line and apropos to your point.

Unfortunately, the Snipes character is cocky and arrogant and ends up losing out in the end. :)

Maybe so...but the guy in the orange jersey (unless my color-blindness is deceiving me) certainly WHIPPED the boys in navy blue shortly after he uttered this line.
I think he threw about 17 punches and took out 14 boys in blue. xlolx

Smitty
March 11th, 2016, 07:03 AM
So, your assessment is the 3 time SoCon Off. POY was worth only +5 PPG for the Mocs? Seems to me that's akin to calling him the Trent Dilfer of the Ravens Super Bowl-winning Team. We must've been watching the Mocs play in parallel universes, then. I would say he was worth at least +3 TD's / game or more.

If you look at the stats of the game you would see that Huesman destroyed us so you are correct. However you put another person in and we would still have lost just as bad. Western has just not been able to figure out how to defend and score against UTC.

JSUSoutherner
March 11th, 2016, 07:09 AM
If you look at the stats of the game you would see that Huesman destroyed us so you are correct. However you put another person in and we would still have lost just as bad. Western has just not been able to figure out how to defend and score against UTC.
I don't know about you guys, but in our experience with UTC if you shut down Huesman and kept him in the pocket, you shut down the UTC offense. If you didn't contain him he ran all over you and went completely ape. At least in our case, it was his ability as a dual theat that made Huesman so hard to stop.

Not sure the new guy will be as much of a factor coming out of the gate as Huesman was last year.

walliver
March 11th, 2016, 07:47 AM
The difference between good players and great players is the ability to step up their games on game-day.

With a talented back-up taking the reins, that question can't be answered until crunch time.

I don't know if UTC will take a big hit with Mini-Me's departure, but I am quite confident that Wofford, Furman, and Mercer will be much improved this year.

Mocs123
March 11th, 2016, 02:13 PM
I think just about every team in the SoCon will be improved with the possible exceptions of Chattanooga and Western (who both have to replace steller QBs). It could be a real shootout to see who is the SoCon Champ this year.

BTW - If Furman isn't much improved this year, it may be time for some major changes.

PaladinFan
March 11th, 2016, 02:33 PM
I think just about every team in the SoCon will be improved with the possible exceptions of Chattanooga and Western (who both have to replace steller QBs). It could be a real shootout to see who is the SoCon Champ this year.

BTW - If Furman isn't much improved this year, it may be time for some major changes.

The natives are certainly restless.

I would like to attribute some of last season's debacle to putting in new systems on offense and defense, but at times we were just plain bad. I like the talent on the roster, but at some point we need to put some points on the board and wins in the barn.

What is this, like the fourth year in a row Furman comes in as the "dark horse?" I would like for us to be good, but I'd prefer to at least know what I am getting every week. The jeckyl and hyde stuff is for the birds.

catamount man
March 13th, 2016, 07:18 AM
The natives are certainly restless.

I would like to attribute some of last season's debacle to putting in new systems on offense and defense, but at times we were just plain bad. I like the talent on the roster, but at some point we need to put some points on the board and wins in the barn.

What is this, like the fourth year in a row Furman comes in as the "dark horse?" I would like for us to be good, but I'd prefer to at least know what I am getting every week. The jeckyl and hyde stuff is for the birds.

I still think you guys have offensive coaching issues. Nonetheless, I expect a good hard fought game in Gville Nov 12. Good luck until then. GO CATS!

SU DOG
March 13th, 2016, 10:25 AM
I'm thinking that our QB Devlin Hodges will make a big difference for Samford this year. There is an intangible "IT" factor that your QB has to have, and he seems to have that. We have been needing this for some time now. I'm NOT comparing him to Huesman, but I believe I see some of the leadership qualities that are similar. We were a different and much better team towards the end of last season when Hodges took over. The players respected and played hard for him, and I'm optimistic about him for this year. I have to mention that he is very talented also.

PaladinFan
March 13th, 2016, 08:44 PM
I still think you guys have offensive coaching issues. Nonetheless, I expect a good hard fought game in Gville Nov 12. Good luck until then. GO CATS!

Hard to know, really. Coach Sorrells has overseen some really successful Furman offenses in the past. It is hard to look past the stunningly bad numbers the past few seasons, though.

At this stage, if Furman is going to go with the same offense they did last year, then PJ Blazejowski should start over Reese Hannon. My biggest gripe about the offense is they don't adjust for their personnel. They force Hannon to run an offense better suited to a smaller faster quarterback, with predictable results. Either run an offense tailored to your personnel or tailor your personnel to the offense. Do one or the other.

dixiechs
March 13th, 2016, 10:27 PM
I'm thinking that our QB Devlin Hodges will make a big difference for Samford this year. There is an intangible "IT" factor that your QB has to have, and he seems to have that. We have been needing this for some time now. I'm NOT comparing him to Huesman, but I believe I see some of the leadership qualities that are similar. We were a different and much better team towards the end of last season when Hodges took over. The players respected and played hard for him, and I'm optimistic about him for this year. I have to mention that he is very talented also.

AWW come on SU Dog-- no need to be humble, it is pre-spring ball! We are going to ROCK this year!! Watch out UTC...we are driving the train this year! :P :)

PaladinFan
March 14th, 2016, 10:31 AM
AWW come on SU Dog-- no need to be humble, it is pre-spring ball! We are going to ROCK this year!! Watch out UTC...we are driving the train this year! :P :)

As with most air-raid teams, the question is not whether you can move the ball. It is whether you can keep teams from moving the ball.

Jiggs
March 14th, 2016, 03:42 PM
As with most air-raid teams, the question is not whether you can move the ball. It is whether you can keep teams from moving the ball.

Sort of like this? http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22268&stc=1

ElCid
March 14th, 2016, 04:03 PM
I think it is safe to say that the media and coaches preseason polls will have The Citadel in 6 or 7th again, as usual. That's ok though; being under the radar is a good spot to be in. We may take a small step back due to the new coach and some starter replacements (o-line, secondary, LB, kicker especially). But who knows, we may not miss a beat. Nearly the entire back field is back....as juniors, except one senior. I am cautiously optimistic for at least a winning season and maybe another playoff bid. The year after should be even better with some recruits paying dividends.

SU DOG
March 14th, 2016, 09:13 PM
Nobody should ever count out The Citadel with those cut blocks.

JSUSoutherner
March 14th, 2016, 10:14 PM
Sort of like this? http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22268&stc=1
Or this.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22269&stc=1

PaladinFan
March 15th, 2016, 05:12 AM
That 45-0 game in Greenville was an embarrassment and aberration. Perhaps the most embarrassing home loss in decades. That was a kind of game where "we just came out flat" simply isn't an explanation.

That said, Furman has beaten Samford two of the last three years. 2014 aside, the games between Samford and Furman are typically one score types.

Smitty
March 15th, 2016, 07:52 AM
Here is how I see the really early rankings for this next year. All speculation, no real thought put in...

1. Samford - Always ranked highly every year. I expect them to finish there this year
2. UTC - May feel a slight pinch trying to get the new QB in gear
3. Mercer - I feel dirty for putting Mercer here...
4. The Citadel - all depends on coaching change...
5. Western - loss of Troy Mitchell is going to hurt
6. Wofford - I don't see them fully recovering from the injuries last year
7. Furman - Maybe time for a change
8. VMI - No longer in the basement (by default)
9. ETSU - Will be going for moral victories this year by trying to keep the games within 2 TDs

Honestly it will be a tight race next year. I don't believe there will be a solid front runner like UTC has been for the past couple years. 3-7 feels like it is pretty much a tie. While everybody feels that their team is going to do well you sometimes have realize that it may not happen this year...

walliver
March 15th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Here is how I see the really early rankings for this next year. All speculation, no real thought put in...

1. Samford - Always ranked highly every year. I expect them to finish there this year
2. UTC - May feel a slight pinch trying to get the new QB in gear
4. The Citadel - all depends on coaching change...
5. Western - loss of Troy Mitchell is going to hurt
6. Wofford - I don't see them fully recovering from the injuries last year
7. Furman - Maybe time for a change
8. VMI - No longer in the basement (by default)
9. ETSU - Will be going for moral victories this year by trying to keep the games within 2 TDs

Honestly it will be a tight race next year. I don't believe there will be a solid front runner like UTC has been for the past couple years. 3-7 feels like it is pretty much a tie. While everybody feels that their team is going to do well you sometimes have realize that it may not happen this year...

I can't really disagree with your assessment. Of the games I saw last year, Samford was the most impressive team I saw, at least on that particular Saturday. They seem to have had a hit-or-miss season. 3-7 are a toss-up, but I would probably move Mercer down a little, Citadel is a big question mark, and I'm hoping Mike Ayers moves Wofford up a little (although our schedule with games AT Chatty, WCU, FU, and Samford will work against us). FU could be a sleeper, although I suspect a big change may be in order.

SU DOG
March 16th, 2016, 09:03 AM
We have a lot to replace on defense, but I have a good feel for this team's chances. Surprised and happy to see someone pick us #1, but UTC will probably, and deservedly so, be the pick. As for the lopsided Furman score, I think PaladinFan is exactly right in that those things can mushroom rather inexplicably sometimes. Our Playoff game with JSU did so, and that still stings with me. Samford limped into that game with Truss, Tartt, Pierce, and FIVE other starters either out or about half-speed. Of course Gamecock fans will yell "EXCUSES" to those facts. IMO, however, JSU saw a somewhat similar situation in their other Playoff appearance. I think they would have played for the NC had Jenkins not gone down against EWU.

JSUSoutherner
March 16th, 2016, 12:02 PM
We have a lot to replace on defense, but I have a good feel for this team's chances. Surprised and happy to see someone pick us #1, but UTC will probably, and deservedly so, be the pick. As for the lopsided Furman score, I think PaladinFan is exactly right in that those things can mushroom rather inexplicably sometimes. Our Playoff game with JSU did so, and that still stings with me. Samford limped into that game with Truss, Tartt, Pierce, and FIVE other starters either out or about half-speed. Of course Gamecock fans will yell "EXCUSES" to those facts. IMO, however, JSU saw a somewhat similar situation in their other Playoff appearance. I think they would have played for the NC had Jenkins not gone down against EWU.

I think I speak for most other Gamecock fans when I say we would love to beat you guys again with all of your starters healthy. But apparently there are have scheduling conflicts over the past few years. xcoffeex

Here's hoping for another playoff matchup.

SU DOG
March 16th, 2016, 01:48 PM
I would also love to see JSU on our schedule. I have many ties to that school and its alumni, and have made the trip up to pull for them on many occasions. Perception is that we are afraid, and that is alright since the record is the way it is, but reality is that your former HC, Captain Jack, the program he ran, and several incidents, left a lasting nasty impression on some top members of our administration. I doubt we will see it come about unless it's in the Playoffs. What is unfortunate to me personally is that JSU probably sees us as being about the same as when we were trying to compete in the OVC. In spite of that Playoff debacle, Samford is now a FAR better program in all of its athletic teams than back then. Looking at all sports(M & W) in the last few years, JSU vs Samford would lean towards the Dogs, but Football is #1 for me, and the losing string to JSU does hurt.

JSUSoutherner
March 16th, 2016, 01:58 PM
I would also love to see JSU on our schedule. I have many ties to that school and its alumni, and have made the trip up to pull for them on many occasions. Perception is that we are afraid, and that is alright since the record is the way it is, but reality is that your former HC, Captain Jack, the program he ran, and several incidents, left a lasting nasty impression on some top members of our administration. I doubt we will see it come about unless it's in the Playoffs. What is unfortunate to me personally is that JSU probably sees us as being about the same as when we were trying to compete in the OVC. In spite of that Playoff debacle, Samford is now a FAR better program in all of its athletic teams than back then. Looking at all sports(M & W) in the last few years, JSU vs Samford would lean towards the Dogs, but Football is #1 for me, and the losing string to JSU does hurt.
I really do hope you guys make the playoffs this year. I would love to lengthen that streak to 10 or whatever it's at. xthumbsupx

Maybe if we get paired up in the playoffs, HCJG can help fix whatever mess Captain Jack created. A home and home with Samford would be awesome.

FUBeAR
March 16th, 2016, 06:12 PM
JSU Southerner's mention of "Playoffs" (Jim Mora voice, if you like) made me wonder...

Which 4 SoCon Teams do y'all think are going to be in the 2016 FCS Playoff Field?

Looks like most teams play an all D1 schedule in 2016, with a few D2 games here and there, but no school having more than 1 'less than D1' game other than ETSU, who is in their 1st year of SoCon play. So, taking that 'sub-standard' scheduling issue out of play, I would expect the SoCon will be back to having a healthy OOC record and will look to get 4; certainly no less than 3 Teams in the field.

So...maybe you pick your 3 'locks' and a 4th 'bubble' SoCon Team for the the Playoff Field. Who you got?

I'll say...Chatt, Sammy, and El Cid fill out my 'locks' field with Mercer, WCU, FU, and Woffy fighting to knock one or 2 of those 'locks' into the 'bubble' category. Success of New QB's, success of New Coaches, and Injury Avoidance will be the variables that determine which 3 or 4 make the playoff cut in 2016.

[Note: I recognize that my predictions are not exceedingly 'brave' and my stated variables are not exactly eye-opening. Sorry - best I can do in March. What you got?]

JSUSoutherner
March 16th, 2016, 06:44 PM
JSU Southerner's mention of "Playoffs" (Jim Mora voice, if you like) made me wonder...

Which 4 SoCon Teams do y'all think are going to be in the 2016 FCS Playoff Field?

Looks like most teams play an all D1 schedule in 2016, with a few D2 games here and there, but no school having more than 1 'less than D1' game other than ETSU, who is in their 1st year of SoCon play. So, taking that 'sub-standard' scheduling issue out of play, I would expect the SoCon will be back to having a healthy OOC record and will look to get 4; certainly no less than 3 Teams in the field.

So...maybe you pick your 3 'locks' and a 4th 'bubble' SoCon Team for the the Playoff Field. Who you got?

I'll say...Chatt, Sammy, and El Cid fill out my 'locks' field with Mercer, WCU, FU, and Woffy fighting to knock one or 2 of those 'locks' into the 'bubble' category. Success of New QB's, success of New Coaches, and Injury Avoidance will be the variables that determine which 3 or 4 make the playoff cut in 2016.

[Note: I recognize that my predictions are not exceedingly 'brave' and my stated variables are not exactly eye-opening. Sorry - best I can do in March. What you got?]
Honestly I don't know that you can say more than one SoCon team is a lock this year. With the coaching change at Citadel and the departure of Huesman from UTC I'll wait until the season starts before I start saying anyone outside a conference champ is a lock.

Thumper 76
March 16th, 2016, 10:37 PM
Honestly I don't know that you can say more than one SoCon team is a lock this year. With the coaching change at Citadel and the departure of Huesman from UTC I'll wait until the season starts before I start saying anyone outside a conference champ is a lock.

Yeah this is pretty much my feeling as an outsider. 4 playoff teams is a stretch IMO, considering the other conferences in play with the large number of teams in the Big Sky having inflated records with teams dodging the tough teams some years, the CAA, and the MVFC. I can see three, but four is a stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smitty
March 17th, 2016, 05:43 AM
Yeah this is pretty much my feeling as an outsider. 4 playoff teams is a stretch IMO, considering the other conferences in play with the large number of teams in the Big Sky having inflated records with teams dodging the tough teams some years, the CAA, and the MVFC. I can see three, but four is a stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We all know that we at most are going to have 2 in the playoffs. I think he is just giving us 4 teams to guess.

FUBeAR
March 17th, 2016, 06:25 AM
I think he is just giving us 4 teams to guess.

Nope

SoCon ≥ CAA, CAA = 4 Teams ∴ SoCon ≥ 4 Teams

...it's science!

walliver
March 17th, 2016, 08:43 AM
I think there is a reasonable chance for 3 ... 4 is a long-shot - that would be half of the established teams.

What has hurt us the past several years has been scheduling. Too many FBS losses and too many D2 wins. WCU may well have gotten in last year if not for their playoff-unfriendly schedule.

PaladinFan
March 18th, 2016, 09:05 AM
I think there is a reasonable chance for 3 ... 4 is a long-shot - that would be half of the established teams.

What has hurt us the past several years has been scheduling. Too many FBS losses and too many D2 wins. WCU may well have gotten in last year if not for their playoff-unfriendly schedule.

When was the last SoCon team to get into the post season with two FBS teams on their schedule? App State in 2005?

ElCid
March 18th, 2016, 03:59 PM
When was the last SoCon team to get into the post season with two FBS teams on their schedule? App State in 2005?

Or maybe The Citadel in 2015? Ga So and USC.

Toby
March 20th, 2016, 08:11 AM

LOL. I like it. Mercer should be improved with 20 starters back (or 21 depending on who is counting) and first SoCon season with full scholarship roster. It will be interesting to see what happens with the new QB transfer who started 8 games for Vanderbilt last year.

PaladinFan
March 20th, 2016, 02:48 PM
LOL. I like it. Mercer should be improved with 20 starters back (or 21 depending on who is counting) and first SoCon season with full scholarship roster. It will be interesting to see what happens with the new QB transfer who started 8 games for Vanderbilt last year.

My position on transfers remains unchanged -- a firm "wait and see." I've seen too many of these guys come in with great fanfare only to flame out. The hype rarely matches the production.

That said, Lamb has always had a penchant for finding good transfer QBs. Let's hope this Vandy kid isn't half as good as the last SEC transfer QB he landed or we will all be in trouble.

As an aside, I can only imagine this kid is going to have to earn playing time. I would expect the job is still John Russ' to lose.

JSUSoutherner
March 20th, 2016, 03:27 PM
Q
My position on transfers remains unchanged -- a firm "wait and see." I've seen too many of these guys come in with great fanfare only to flame out. The hype rarely matches the production.

That said, Lamb has always had a penchant for finding good transfer QBs. Let's hope this Vandy kid isn't half as good as the last SEC transfer QB he landed or we will all be in trouble.

As an aside, I can only imagine this kid is going to have to earn playing time. I would expect the job is still John Russ' to lose.
This.

However, I will say, we've had decent success with our band of merry transfers. It's seems to be less about their record and more about how well they buy into the system. Thankfully our transfers are usually pretty good guys who get trained a pretty good coach.

Mercer has a pretty good staff so I would expect they should be able to make their new recruit pretty dangerous. We shall see

So far this off season we've landed a B1G, a PAC12, and 4 SEC guys and there's another UGA runningback possibly in the mix.

Unfortunately for us, one of our UGA transfers tore his ACL last week. Word on the street is a he's pretty good RB. Unfortunately for everyone else he's due to be back by September.

We also landed an SEC All-Freshman CB whose father is apparently a two time pro bowler CB and is an assistant coach for the KC Cheifs.

It will be interesting to see how all our recruits do this upcoming season and hopefully we can catch another SoCon scalp or two in the playoffs.

Toby
March 20th, 2016, 04:40 PM

i can't disagree with this analysis, but having two proven QBs is a luxury that Mercer hasn't had. It may open up the ability for Russ to run more like he did his first year. It looked like the coaches took that away from him. Maybe to protect him somewhat. Of course having some really good RBs in the backfield may be the reason.

Toby
March 20th, 2016, 04:51 PM

Speaking of Lamb and Ingle Martin, it wouldn't shock me to see Lamb go after Martin at some point for a coaching position. Martin is now 67-6 in 5 seasons as HS HC after taking over a .500 program. Some guys are just winners.

PaladinFan
March 20th, 2016, 07:59 PM
Speaking of Lamb and Ingle Martin, it wouldn't shock me to see Lamb go after Martin at some point for a coaching position. Martin is now 67-6 in 5 seasons as HS HC after taking over a .500 program. Some guys are just winners.

Not sure what his interest level is in the college game. Furman has a veritable army of coaches in the high school and college ranks, and some of them wildly successful.

Don't think I haven't quietly wished Furman would take a flyer on brining Martin in to run the offense. :)

FUBeAR
March 23rd, 2016, 01:38 AM
Mercer should be improved with 20 starters back (or 21 depending on who is counting) and first SoCon season with full scholarship roster.

Toby
March 23rd, 2016, 03:10 PM

LOL. Yeah the original article here say 21. Maybe that includes former starters that were on the injury list? If so I would guess that Mercer is bringing back over 22 starters. There are 2 starters from last year that I know are not coming back, maybe that's your 20?

PaladinFan
March 23rd, 2016, 03:27 PM
I don't know the exact figures, but I would anticipate most SoCon teams are returning a bundle of starters. Lot of young players in this league.

I imagine you can get pretty creative with the numbers. Furman reports returning 16 starters. I don't know how they calculate that figure given that the team will occasionally use different starting lineups against different opponents. I also don't know if you count, say, Reese Hannon and PJ Blazejowki as two "starters" despite the fact that they play the same position but have started a bunch of games.

FUBeAR
March 23rd, 2016, 09:59 PM
I don't know the exact figures, but I would anticipate most SoCon teams are returning a bundle of starters. Lot of young players in this league.

I imagine you can get pretty creative with the numbers. Furman reports returning 16 starters. I don't know how they calculate that figure given that the team will occasionally use different starting lineups against different opponents. I also don't know if you count, say, Reese Hannon and PJ Blazejowki as two "starters" despite the fact that they play the same position but have started a bunch of games.

No 'funny numbers' - Mercer has only 2 starters who completed their eligibility last year and will not return, an OG Transfer-in from Air Force and a CB Transfer-in from Tuskegee. Both used a year of eligibility at their original schools, took a redshirt at Mercer in 2012 during the practice year, and started every game that Mercer played from 2013 - 2015, except for the ones they missed due to injury. Both missed multiple games in 2015 due to injury and both had been named All SoCon on at least 1 'official' team during their career. That's the whole story. 22-2 = 20.

If they wanted to play 'funny numbers,' just glancing at the roster, the Bears COULD claim 39 starters returning (not including specialists).

The RIGHT number is 20. Let's just stick with that.

PaladinFan
March 24th, 2016, 04:22 AM
No 'funny numbers' - Mercer has only 2 starters who completed their eligibility last year and will not return, an OG Transfer-in from Air Force and a CB Transfer-in from Tuskegee. Both used a year of eligibility at their original schools, took a redshirt at Mercer in 2012 during the practice year, and started every game that Mercer played from 2013 - 2015, except for the ones they missed due to injury. Both missed multiple games in 2015 due to injury and both had been named All SoCon on at least 1 'official' team during their career. That's the whole story. 22-2 = 20.

If they wanted to play 'funny numbers,' just glancing at the roster, the Bears COULD claim 39 starters returning (not including specialists).

The RIGHT number is 20. Let's just stick with that.

I'm not suggesting funny numbers. I answered my own question looking at Furman's two deep lineup against Wofford last year. There are several dozen players who have starting experience for the Paladins. So, the number certainly is not "players who have been starters."

I assume it is just taking standard 22 starters if the team was full speed and healthy and subtracting the guys that are no longer with the program.

Milktruck74
March 24th, 2016, 10:13 AM
I always look at this stat a little funny. If you lost 10 games last year and return all 22 starters, is that a good thing or bad? Generally a player will improve year to year, but it isn't always the case.

walliver
March 24th, 2016, 02:40 PM
I always look at this stat a little funny. If you lost 10 games last year and return all 22 starters, is that a good thing or bad? Generally a player will improve year to year, but it isn't always the case.

I don't think the number of returning players is as important as the number of important players lost. In Mercer's case, I am not aware of any of any major losses and would expect a modest improvement. Considering how close many of their games were last year, a modest improvement could mean a significant increase in number of wins

FUBeAR
March 24th, 2016, 03:31 PM
Considering how close many of their games were last year, a modest improvement could mean a significant increase in number of wins

From your kennel to the Great Dogcatcher's ears!

The 2 players lost were major losses, but Mercer played without one or both of them for probably 8 of 11 games last year, so they are certainly not irreplaceable. The athletes coming up behind them are excellent YOUNG players, but it's a big hit at any position when you lose a 3 (really 4) year starter....unless the backups are good & played significantly...which they are & did.

OL will need to "gel." Young Receivers will need to continue to grow & stay healthy. DL will be shored up with redshirts and growth of young players, which it needed. LB corps is very strong IF they can stay healthy. Secondary - same as DL. Specialists remain an area of opportunity. All that said, IF the OL gels, I believe we will see more than "modest improvement." IF the OL gels, I believe Mercer will be right there in the mix for the SoCon title and WILL, at worst, be one of the 4 SoCon Teams in the Playoffs.

PaladinFan
March 24th, 2016, 04:43 PM

It's an honest question.

Furman returned virtually every starter off a three win team from 2014 only to win four games in 2015. Not like returning a veteran team did much for us.

PaladinFan
March 24th, 2016, 04:45 PM
From your kennel to the Great Dogcatcher's ears!

The 2 players lost were major losses, but Mercer played without one or both of them for probably 8 of 11 games last year, so they are certainly not irreplaceable. The athletes coming up behind them are excellent YOUNG players, but it's a big hit at any position when you lose a 3 (really 4) year starter....unless the backups are good & played significantly...which they are & did.

OL will need to "gel." Young Receivers will need to continue to grow & stay healthy. DL will be shored up with redshirts and growth of young players, which it needed. LB corps is very strong IF they can stay healthy. Secondary - same as DL. Specialists remain an area of opportunity. All that said, IF the OL gels, I believe we will see more than "modest improvement." IF the OL gels, I believe Mercer will be right there in the mix for the SoCon title and WILL, at worst, be one of the 4 SoCon Teams in the Playoffs.

Just my two cents, but every team not named ETSU probably has a decent shot at the SoCon title.

I doubt we'll see four SoCon teams in the post season.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
April 9th, 2016, 07:23 PM
EAST TENNESSEE STATE
2015 Records: 2-9 overall, FCS Independent in 2015
Spring Practices: Feb. 26-April 2
Storyline: With a year of experience following their return to football for the first time since 2003, the Buccaneers were optimistic when they opened spring practices. Last year's squad started mostly freshmen - 22, including special teams - and only one starter was beyond his sophomore season. Plus, a number of last year's redshirts are ready to challenge for positions. The rough season gave coach Carl Torbush's squad a sense of where it needs improvement, and that includes getting bigger at the line of scrimmage. Quarterback Austin Herink should keep getting better. Dylan Weigel drew the headlines at linebacker, but it appears River Boruff and Austin Gatewood are ready to break out as well.

The good news, everybody returns. The bad news, a large majority of the team are sophomores (redshirt or otherwise). I will not belabor ETSU's last season results. I really believe we will better but I am not sure we will win a conference game this season.

catamount man
April 10th, 2016, 02:07 PM
Caught a little of the WCU spring game yesterday over the internet. VERY impressed with the offense. Defense needs work. Looks like the Catamounts are gonna score points but may have to outscore the opposition this year. Looking forward to fall camp and the opener at East Carolina. GO CATS!!!

http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/040916aaa.html