PDA

View Full Version : ASU joins the multi-national championship club

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 15th, 2006, 10:48 PM
This highly exclusive club contains: Georgia Southern, Youngstown State, Montana, Eastern Kentucky, and Marshall.

ASU will now be inducted and the membership is now at 6 teams.
http://www.i-aa.org/section_front.asp?arttypeid=568
congratulations

Mountaineer
December 15th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Thanks pwns. :rotateh: :nod: :bow:

Good to be a part of the club.

appman87
December 15th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Feels good to be in the Club.

lizrdgizrd
December 15th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Wow, nice place, good company. Glad to be here.:nod:

FlyYtown
December 15th, 2006, 11:02 PM
WE WELCOME YOU!

Seven Would Be Nice
December 16th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Welcome! Good season this year..hopefully we can stop Edwards and the rest of App State next year! :smiley_wi

Baldy
December 16th, 2006, 02:23 AM
This highly exclusive club contains: Georgia Southern, Youngstown State, Montana, Eastern Kentucky, and Marshall.

congratulations
Three SoCon teams, too! :nod: :thumbsup:

griz37
December 16th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Welcome to the club Appy! :hurray:

igo4uni
December 16th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Congrats to App!!

What has happened to EKU over the years???

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Congrats ASU. Hopefully we can join the 1 national championship club someday. :rolleyes:

JaxSinfonian
December 16th, 2006, 09:33 AM
What has happened to EKU over the years???

Pretty simple: Quit winning.

UMass922
December 16th, 2006, 09:46 AM
I was hoping it would be the other team joining the multiple-title club, but hats off to ASU.

appfan2008
December 16th, 2006, 09:57 AM
That is a true honor and I am glad to see so many people welcome us with open arms...
Damn it is good to have two titles!!!!!!!!

JDC325
December 16th, 2006, 11:03 AM

congratulations

.....and the ultra exclusive back to back club sorry Montana. :D

griz37
December 16th, 2006, 01:35 PM

Damn Randy Moss! :bawling:

EKU05
December 17th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Pretty simple: Quit winning.

We'll be back sooner than you think. This year's team had some offensive issues early, but was likely the best team in the OVC over the last month of the season. Our offense just finally started clicking. Something snapped after that 0-28 first quarter against EIU and we started playing like a championship football team.

Unfortunately it was too little, too late for this team this year...but the nucleus does return (including a VASTLY improved O-line) for next season. Watch out for the Colonels in 2007.

Best of all...we have a coach that bleeds Maroon and White. His only mission in his career is to see this through and put the winningest program in the history of the FCS back in its rightful place. It's not going happen overnight, but good things are happening in Richmond.

The other thing worth mentioning about the obvious decline in EKU football is that it was essentially killed by the administrations of the past at EKU. During the Funderburke era in the 1980s we would have dropped football (or at least gone non-scholarship) save for the fact that no EKU President in his right mind would have dared take on Roy Kidd publicly on that issue. He literally saved our program. The good thing is that now we have an extremely pro-athletics president in Joanne Glasser. She didn't hesitate to shell out $150K a year for our new basketball coach, Jeff Neubauer...and she's supporting Hope and the football team in much the same way.

appfan2008
December 17th, 2006, 01:21 AM
...and put the winningest program in the history of the FCS back in its rightful place.

Does that mean EKU has the most wins since 1978?

crunifan
December 17th, 2006, 04:02 AM
UNI and McNeese must have the "wonderful" honor as the best teams with no hardware.

Go us?

colonelblitz
December 17th, 2006, 08:02 AM
UNI and McNeese must have the "wonderful" honor as the best teams with no hardware.

Go us? 2 years ago Appy was in the same boat, now they have 2 titles..

Congrats to the APPS..:hurray: 3peat?? looks good on paper..

AppMan
December 17th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Three SoCon teams, too! :nod: :thumbsup:

Can there be any doubt as to which is the best conference in the Division One Football Championship Sub-Division (formerly known as 1-aa).

AppMan
December 17th, 2006, 08:18 AM

Heh, heh, heh.... NIce One!

AppMan
December 17th, 2006, 08:52 AM
2 years ago Appy was in the same boat, now they have 2 titles..

Congrats to the APPS..:hurray: 3peat?? looks good on paper..

You've got that right! Following the 2004 season many ASU supporters, including myself, thought we were spinning out of control towards a crash & burn situation. In 2000 we lost in the national semi finals to Montana in OT to finish up 10-4. The next year we were 9-4 and lost in the 2nd round to GSU. 2002 ASU won 8 games and were knocked out of the playoff in the first round by Maine in a game we were heavily favored. 2003 we slipped another game in the win column with a 7-4 record and failed to make the playoffs for the first time in six years. The 2004 season was a disaster. We once again dropped in the W column and gave up a double digit lead in the last few minutes in a loss to rival Western Carolina finishing 6-5. We had a terribel attrition rate on the football team. Players were getting kicked out of school due to academic, school and team policy violations. The once UNC system leading team graduation rate had slipped almost to the bottom. Discipline on and off the field was awful and the quality of incoming recruiting classes were far below previous standards. Things did not look good at all. Jerry Moore had surrounded himself with a bunch of young former players as coaches and was digging in his heels. Then a new Chanccellor came along and replaced ASU 17 year AD and gave JM an ultimatum. To keep your job you must win games, but more importantly your players must be model citizens and campus leaders. The deal from new administration was to turn up the wick with many on facility and logistical improvements and began treating the football program like it should have been all along, To his credit Jerry Moore switched offenses and opened things up a great deal. The result is 2 national Championships in 3 years under the new administration. It can be done, but it is a total effort that has to begin at the very top with some very real expectations and estabished goals.

Good luck in your climb back up the ladder.

appheel
December 17th, 2006, 10:46 AM
I can't believe you are giving Peacock credit for turning around the football program. That's hilarious.

EKU05
December 17th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Does that mean EKU has the most wins since 1978?

As far as I know that's still true. I know it was as of like 2 seasons ago. We also had the most all-time playoff appearances (17) going into this season. I guess we still do with GSU not making the post-season this year. Think about that for a second. EKU has not made the playoffs in a decade now...and still has more playoff appearances than any other program. That's astounding consistancy over the first 20 years of I-AA.

We also still have 34 straight years without a losing season. That's the best among current FCS programs by far..and second overall in DI to Michigan who now has 39. So EKU has not fallen to the ranks of "losing programs" by any means.

By the way...let me add my welcome to App to the multiple title club. Now the race is on between the Mountaineers, the Griz, and the Colonels to see who can join YSU and GSU in the "3 or more" club."

asu70
December 17th, 2006, 05:02 PM
I was hoping it would be the other team joining the multiple-title club, but hats off to ASU.
I think you will have a very good shot at making the club next year. Congrats on a great year, and I might add that I met some real classy Umass fans.

Saint3333
December 17th, 2006, 07:06 PM
I can't believe you are giving Peacock credit for turning around the football program. That's hilarious.

Peacock was the first piece of the puzzle. Without him Laney would still be AD and status quo would be just fine with him. The coaches and players get 90% of the credit, but the remaining portion stems from the tone at the top. We are very lucky to have Peacock and Cobb. I think we have Peacock for the long haul, but Cobb leaving is only a matter of time. I believe he'll stay at ASU until the current facility enhancement. I'll be grateful for every year we're able to retain him.