PDA

View Full Version : AP Article on Appy St Win

TexasTerror
December 15th, 2006, 10:30 PM
The title says 'Appy State Wins 2nd Straight I-AA Title' and brings up the I-AA national championship in the lead, yet within the text of the article, it talks about how "Appalachian State is the first team to take home the newly named NCAA Division I Football Championship."

Associated Press needs to get their act together! :nono:

Appy State wins 2nd straight I-AA title
ELIZABETH A. DAVIS
Associated Press

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. - Kevin Richardson led Appalachian State to its second straight Division I-AA national championship, running for 179 yards and four touchdowns in the Mountaineers' 28-17 victory over Massachusetts on Friday night.

Richardson's third touchdown put the Mountaineers (14-1) ahead 21-14 at the beginning of the fourth quarter. He added another for 2 yards with 1:51 left that gave him the I-AA record for rushing touchdowns in a season with 30.

Appalachian State is the first team to win consecutive crowns in six years, and the Mountaineers relied heavily on Richardson.

The Minutemen (13-2), hoping to win their first title since 1998, cut it to 21-17 on Chris Koepplin's 42-yard field goal with 8:46 left. UMass got the ball back, but Appalachian State's Corey Lynch had an interception to seal it.

Appalachian State is the first team to take home the newly named NCAA Division I Football Championship. The NCAA is phasing out the terms Divisions I-A and I-AA that applied to football. I-A is now the Football Bowl Subdivision, while I-AA is the Football Championship Subdivision.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/colleges/16252735.htm