PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Players in 2016 (& 2017?) NFL Combine

AttaBoyCowboy
February 17th, 2016, 05:58 PM
I saw that there were 19 FCS players invited to the 2016 NFL Combine. I noticed that the Big Sky Conferences had 4 players invited; one of them was TE Beau Sandland form Montana State (MSU). I have been an MSU fan for 20 years, so I decided to see if any MSU players were ranked in the 2017 NFL prospect list. According to a CBS NFL prospect list, here are the top 5 Big Sky players as ranked by their position. The reason I included the top 5 is because that way I could include an MSU player.
Eastern Washington (EWU) WR Cooper Kupp (6’ 2” 194) is ranked #7. MSU didn’t play EWU this year, but last year I was super impressed by his 152 yards and 2 TD day against us. We couldn’t stop him in a shoot-out loss to EWU. Let’s hope that our ‘D’ can stop him this year. I predict that he will become an excellent slot receiver at the next level.
Montana QB Brady Gustafson (6’ 7” 229) is ranked #10. Unfortunately for us, he threw for 353 yards in our season-ending loss. Gustafson had great games against North Dakota St. and EWU. He has a great frame and I think that his ranking will go up a year from now. Let’s hope that he will make the same transition that Mariotta made going from a Tempo scheme to the pros.
EWU QB Jordan West (6’ 3” 220) is ranked #21. He has good size, though I think his feet are a little slow. The question is: how much of his success was because of Kupp and an excellent group of receivers? The last time we played them, Adams was the QB. I am sure that I will have a better opinion of West after we play them this year.
Northern Colorado (UNC) FB Quinn Zamora (6’ 1” 250) is ranked #28. I happened to go to the 2013 game and was impressed by the play of the tough freshman FB. I guess I remember him because on one play he caught a pass and after an MSU defender ripped off his helmet, he kept running with the ball. Typical FB. Now that UNC runs a Tempo 1-back offense, will Zamora get enough playing time for the NFL scouts?
MSU OG JP Flynn (6’ 5” 320) is ranked #28. What can I say, other than I think he should be ranked higher? He has great feet and has the size to play on Sundays. I predict that his ranking will be higher after he leads us into the playoffs in 2016.
So there are the top 5 Big Sky NFL prospects for the 2017 draft. Let’s hope that years from now more than four Big Sky players are invited to the combine.

mvemjsunpx
February 18th, 2016, 12:57 AM
Eastern Washington (EWU) WR Cooper Kupp (6’ 2” 194) is ranked #7. MSU didn’t play EWU this year, but last year I was super impressed by his 152 yards and 2 TD day against us. We couldn’t stop him in a shoot-out loss to EWU. Let’s hope that our ‘D’ can stop him this year. I predict that he will become an excellent slot receiver at the next level.

xeyebrowx Huh? Yes they did. http://bigskyconf.com/custompages/football/2015/09-19-15.htm

West threw for 410 and 6 TDs on just 24 attempts (201 and 3 TDs to Kupp).

EWU QB Jordan West (6’ 3” 220) is ranked #21. He has good size, though I think his feet are a little slow. The question is: how much of his success was because of Kupp and an excellent group of receivers? The last time we played them, Adams was the QB. I am sure that I will have a better opinion of West after we play them this year.

A lot.

smallcollegefbfan
February 18th, 2016, 09:20 AM
I saw that there were 19 FCS players invited to the 2016 NFL Combine. I noticed that the Big Sky Conferences had 4 players invited; one of them was TE Beau Sandland form Montana State (MSU). I have been an MSU fan for 20 years, so I decided to see if any MSU players were ranked in the 2017 NFL prospect list. According to a CBS NFL prospect list, here are the top 5 Big Sky players as ranked by their position. The reason I included the top 5 is because that way I could include an MSU player.
Montana QB Brady Gustafson (6’ 7” 229) is ranked #10. Unfortunately for us, he threw for 353 yards in our season-ending loss. Gustafson had great games against North Dakota St. and EWU. He has a great frame and I think that his ranking will go up a year from now. Let’s hope that he will make the same transition that Mariotta made going from a Tempo scheme to the pros.
Northern Colorado (UNC) FB Quinn Zamora (6’ 1” 250) is ranked #28. I happened to go to the 2013 game and was impressed by the play of the tough freshman FB. I guess I remember him because on one play he caught a pass and after an MSU defender ripped off his helmet, he kept running with the ball. Typical FB. Now that UNC runs a Tempo 1-back offense, will Zamora get enough playing time for the NFL scouts?
MSU OG JP Flynn (6’ 5” 320) is ranked #28. What can I say, other than I think he should be ranked higher? He has great feet and has the size to play on Sundays. I predict that his ranking will be higher after he leads us into the playoffs in 2016.
So there are the top 5 Big Sky NFL prospects for the 2017 draft. Let’s hope that years from now more than four Big Sky players are invited to the combine.

Too early to go off that now. Check that in July once they take NFL spring grades into account.

Kupp is a definite combine guy. The others will depend on their senior year.

I believe a trend of less FCS players will get drafted and go to the NFL Combine unless we see a bunch of transfers like Beau. The Big Sky may have about the same or a little more but you will see less from the SoCon and CAA most likely. Unless we see teams from the midwest and west coast move up the normal amount from Big Sky and MVFC should probably be expected.

grizband
February 20th, 2016, 03:08 AM
Scfb, what are your thoughts on Holmes not getting an invite?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

smallcollegefbfan
February 20th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Scfb, what are your thoughts on Holmes not getting an invite?

Surprised by it. He had buzz during the fall and one heck of a season. If he does really well at pro day he should be a late round pick. His shuttles, jumps, 40s, and position drills at DE and LB will likely determine if he gets in the draft or not.

On average, about 35 players without a combine invite are drafted so there is still a chance.

grizband
February 20th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Surprised by it. He had buzz during the fall and one heck of a season. If he does really well at pro day he should be a late round pick. His shuttles, jumps, 40s, and position drills at DE and LB will likely determine if he gets in the draft or not.

On average, about 35 players without a combine invite are drafted so there is still a chance.
Thanks, I respect your knowledge and opinion about the subject. You also stated you expect to see fewer FCS players drafted in future years, is there any reason you anticipate this change?

smallcollegefbfan
February 21st, 2016, 06:57 AM
Thanks, I respect your knowledge and opinion about the subject. You also stated you expect to see fewer FCS players drafted in future years, is there any reason you anticipate this change?

Thank you Grizband!

Just looking back at the recent programs to leave or pass FBS as they have been created since 2012 has gone up heavily and most of the programs were known to put players in the NFL.

Coastal Carolina, Charlotte, App State, Georgia Southern, Old Dominion, Georgia State, UMASS, South Alabama, Texas State, and UTSA. Then add in the fact that since the 1990s Western Kentucky, Marshall, FIU, FAU, Troy, South Florida, UCONN, Buffalo, MTSU, and others.

Many of these schools have produced a lot of NFL talent while in FCS so you take those away, plus the additional 22 scholarships per team and you should see less FCS players drafted (unless there are a lot of FBS transfers) and the G5 level should see an increase.

BisoNick
February 21st, 2016, 09:57 PM
Is Kupp playing another year or will he enter the draft this year or next year? I'm hoping to see him play in the Dome next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dudeitsaid
February 22nd, 2016, 12:26 AM
Is Kupp playing another year or will he enter the draft this year or next year? I'm hoping to see him play in the Dome next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kupp will be returning for his senior season. I was pleasantly surprised to see him decide to forego the draft! I feel a lot better about facing the Bison next season with him in the line up. The guy is such a difference maker!

BisonFan02
February 22nd, 2016, 11:36 AM
Kupp will be returning for his senior season. I was pleasantly surprised to see him decide to forego the draft! I feel a lot better about facing the Bison next season with him in the line up. The guy is such a difference maker!

It will be an interesting match up....the Bison are going to be pretty "green" at the CB position...and not in the way of uniform. xlolx