PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Division I National Champions: Appalachian State

UNHWildCats
December 15th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Congrats

jmuroller
December 15th, 2006, 10:08 PM
They've gotta do something about the Trophy Presentation...it is bush league at best.

UNH 1999
December 15th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Congrats App State!

(Glad UMass didn't win!!!)

GaSouthern
December 15th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I tell you what, I HATE appy state...

BUT they are SoCon, and they are the only dog I got in this fight because I love watching Umass get stomped after the 1998 turnover party.

WAY TO GO APPY!

Pard94
December 15th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Congrats to App State from your friends at Lafayette! Great program down in Boone.

LeopardFan04
December 15th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Congrats to App State from your friends at Lafayette! Great program down in Boone.

I'll second that! Great job fellas!

kardplayer
December 15th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Congrats to App State. Way to go! Looked like you guys were in for a long night after that first drive, but you pulled it together and earned it in a big way.

Congrats!!!

Seven Would Be Nice
December 15th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Great job app state... glad to see the championship post game is about the duke lacrosse rape case... : smh : : smh : : smh : :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

CoastalFan2005
December 15th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Awesome job, ASU. :bow: :thumbsup: :bow:

slostang
December 15th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Congratulations. Edwards for another 3 years...scary!!!

UNH 40
December 15th, 2006, 10:20 PM
congradulations to both teams, especially App. St. I knew App. St. would run wild on UMass unfortunately. App. St. wore them down on both sides of the ball, UMass was dog tired at the end of the ball game.

The one thing that I absolutely loved was seeing London get drilled and become a complete non-factor after that.

Congradulation to Baylark on a great career, he is a class act, and deserved more recognition than he got.

Eaglegus2
December 15th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Congratulations to App State!

Way to keep the SoCon on top.

You can try for 3 in a row in '07.

lizrdgizrd
December 15th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Great game UMass! :hurray:

Sam Adams
December 15th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Congratulations to Appalachian. The best team won the National Championship. The Montana game took a toll on UMass and the Appalachian OLine did a tremendous job. A great season for UMass nonetheless. Way to go Mountaineers!!!:nod:

LehighFan11
December 15th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Congrats on National Championship number 2 of 5. Edwards freshman ...woah good luck to everyone else in I-AA.

Gil Dobie
December 15th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Congrats App St :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

89Hen
December 15th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Congrats AppSt, but that's enough, let somebody else have a turn next year. :thumbsup: :bow:

lizrdgizrd
December 15th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Congrats AppSt, but that's enough, let somebody else have a turn next year. :thumbsup: :bow:
Tell that to Armanti and Kevin! :smiley_wi

appman87
December 15th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Great game UMass. A class act you are.

appman87
December 15th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Edwards is just a Freshman and Richardson is a junior.

89Hen
December 15th, 2006, 11:09 PM
I thought your D was just as important tonight though.

redbirdtim
December 15th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Congratulations App St. and also to UMASS. Both teams had amazing seasons.

Block-A
December 15th, 2006, 11:14 PM

Watching Baylark run in the first half, especially on that opening drive, gave me serious indigestion. UMass' O-line may well be the best App faced this year.

UNH SUPERFAN
December 15th, 2006, 11:24 PM
I don't know who beats App State in the next 2-3 years! You've got a hell of a program!

Appstate03
December 15th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Just got back to the hotel from the game. Great atmosphere for App fans. I don't know how it sounded on tv, but it was like the Rock in Chattanooga. I'm just glad we have Armanti on our team fr the next 3 years and don't have to go against him.

ngineer
December 15th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Excellent job Mountaineers! And an exciting, hard-hitting game by both teams. A lot of big plays, and tremendous hits on both sides of the ball. ASU's quickness certainly won the day at the end. UMass's D was on the field too long. Scoring 28 points on the Minutemen is saying something. :bow:

GOKATS
December 15th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Congrats ASU!

HLecter
December 16th, 2006, 12:05 AM

Watching Baylark run in the first half, especially on that opening drive, gave me serious indigestion. UMass' O-line may well be the best App faced this year.

Uh no, it wasn't - I mean the OLine, and truth be told,,,although it pains me greatly, you don't know how much it pains me, I think JMU is better than UMASS.:mad:

HLecter
December 16th, 2006, 12:08 AM
I don't know who beats App State in the next 2-3 years! You've got a hell of a program!

Amen to that! You've made me a believer. Your O-Line and your schemes are brilliant.

sure wish the announcers had pointed out what a tremendous job your O line as well as WR did blocking. It was a masterpiece.

I've watched the ASU/YSU game 5 times now and I thought an O line couldn't play much better than ASU's in that game.....but they played better tonight.:thumbsup:

cats2506
December 16th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Congrats

What is the age on your O line? How many of them will be back? Tackle to tackle.

I think they are a bigger part of your success that Edwards and Richardson are. I'm not discounting edwards and richardson, I just think the play of the O line is impressive.

appst97
December 16th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Congrats

What is the age on your O line? How many of them will be back? Tackle to tackle.

I think they are a bigger part of your success that Edwards and Richardson are. I'm not discounting edwards and richardson, I just think the play of the O line is impressive.

All but one will be back next year.

HLecter
December 16th, 2006, 12:25 AM

I've heard through the grapevine that Rich Rodriguez is coming after Armanti.

Hey Pat White will be gone by the time Edwards is eligible.

Better hire some bodyguards, tap his phone, do what you have to do.;)

hapapp
December 16th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Truly, a great championship game! I thought UMass was the best team we faced this year. Really impressed with Baylark and the offensive line. I only remember one sack all night.

Crowd was awesome (except for the drunk behind us who hit my daughter in the head). The App...State cheer was great. The only complaint, besides the drunk, was we were on the 10 yard at the scoreboard end and couldn't hear the band.

When UMass scored to tie it at 14, I really thought the momentum had swung to the Minutemen and that we had squandered a chance to go up 21-7. The 4th and 1 call was gutsy and the eventual score made me think that perhaps the karma rested with the guys in cardinal.

AppIAA
December 16th, 2006, 12:37 AM
We are losing Wiggins, Monte Smith, Murrell, Orlebar, and Byrom from our defense. Isenhour, Jeremy Robertson, Mayfield, and Bettis from our offense. That means 13 returning starters, most with at least 2 years of experience. And thats not including the back ups, who had a lot of time to gain experience this year, or the talented recruits we will be getting after winning 2 national championships. With all that, only losing 2 from our starting o line, only one reciever, and one LB, and still having Armanti and Richardson, this could be a deadly team for a while

AppStateSVX
December 16th, 2006, 12:39 AM
checking in from nooga. GO ASU!! wOOT!!! we did it!!

goasu984Life
December 16th, 2006, 12:42 AM
I was a freshamn at ASU in 1993 and the team was 4-7, winning 4 in a row to get to that point. After 13 years, to win TWO natioinal championships, to me, is a great acomplishment. Say what you want about Appalachian and the football program, this has been on helluva ride. It will come to an end sometime, but the ride has been awesome.

ravens
December 16th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Congrats to Appy !! Way to represent the SoCon. Thought you were better these last 2 games than even last year. Looking for a 3peat in 2007.
Edwards and Richardson did a great job grinding down Mass' #1 defense. Those Minutemen were dropping like flies in the 2nd half.

UMass922
December 16th, 2006, 09:17 AM
I knew the game was over when UMass had to settle for the field goal. I really thought we had a chance when Listorti made that big catch and run to get us into ASU territory, but I thought we were pushing our luck with the passing game by throwing deep again on first down--lucky that one didn't get intercepted--and when Baylark was stuffed for nothing on second down, the game was all but lost. I had no confidence we'd convert the third and long, and we didn't. We had no choice but to kick the field goal, but I knew it wouldn't be enough. All I could hope for at that point was an ASU turnover--and if ASU was going to turn it over, it would have to be an unforced error, because our defense was not hitting hard at all. We had a glimmer of hope when ASU faced third and ten and was in a rare passing situation, but they made it look easy, and I wasn't surprised in the least that they converted. The subsequent touchdown was an inevibility.

Congrats to the Mountaineers--national champions.

DavisAggie
December 16th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Congrats from out west!!!

89Hen
December 16th, 2006, 10:08 AM
We are losing Wiggins, Monte Smith, Murrell, Orlebar, and Byrom from our defense. Isenhour, Jeremy Robertson, Mayfield, and Bettis from our offense.
Don't follow AppSt close enough to know, but those three seem like the biggest loses to me based on the game last night. Isenhour seemed to be helping Richardson up on every other play which tells me he was the man Richardson was running behind.

MplsBison
December 16th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Congratulations are in order for ASU.

The legitimate #1 DI football team in the country.

If the SoCon hadn't been so bad this year, I would've never doubted you.

Again, congrats.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 16th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Congrats

Ditto that. Congratulations App State! You ARE the Champions!

biggie
December 16th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Still a little hungover, but great game and great crowd. Wished they'd done this while I was there.

GOKATS
December 16th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Congrats to ASU from this Bobcat fan.....................

You did indeed earn the #1 ranking and the FCS Championship!!!

AggiePride
December 17th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Crongatulations App St.

2 rings on your pimp hand. Pretty sweet.

Appguy
December 17th, 2006, 01:04 AM
MY PERFECT Bracket Prediction (http://www.sportsbracket.com/view_public_bracket_prediction_152723901.html)
What do I win???lol

rjg129
December 17th, 2006, 07:26 AM
I had a great time in Chatty....Im a HappyAppy

AppMan
December 17th, 2006, 08:06 AM
We are losing Wiggins, Monte Smith, Murrell, Orlebar, and Byrom from our defense. Isenhour, Jeremy Robertson, Mayfield, and Bettis from our offense. That means 13 returning starters, most with at least 2 years of experience. And thats not including the back ups, who had a lot of time to gain experience this year, or the talented recruits we will be getting after winning 2 national championships. With all that, only losing 2 from our starting o line, only one reciever, and one LB, and still having Armanti and Richardson, this could be a deadly team for a while

Don't forget that Julian Rauch is also back. What a weapon!

AppMan
December 17th, 2006, 08:11 AM
I knew the game was over when UMass had to settle for the field goal. I really thought we had a chance when Listorti made that big catch and run to get us into ASU territory, but I thought we were pushing our luck with the passing game by throwing deep again on first down--lucky that one didn't get intercepted--and when Baylark was stuffed for nothing on second down, the game was all but lost. I had no confidence we'd convert the third and long, and we didn't. We had no choice but to kick the field goal, but I knew it wouldn't be enough. All I could hope for at that point was an ASU turnover--and if ASU was going to turn it over, it would have to be an unforced error, because our defense was not hitting hard at all. We had a glimmer of hope when ASU faced third and ten and was in a rare passing situation, but they made it look easy, and I wasn't surprised in the least that they converted. The subsequent touchdown was an inevibility.

Congrats to the Mountaineers--national champions.

I saw every one of our games this season except for UTC and can say UMass was by far the best we've played all season. Congrats on a great year.

AppMan
December 17th, 2006, 08:12 AM

Again, congrats.

Well it took you a while, but it looks as though you've finally come around!

proasu89
December 17th, 2006, 12:55 PM

Again, congrats.
Thanks for your kind words. I wouldn't mind one bit though if you keep picking against us next year thoughxlolx I know you're a long way from here but we made some good teams look awful when we got rolling. Did you see the GSU and Wofford games? Everybody on the outside is knocking the SoCon this year but the league has as much parity as I've seen. We just made some good teams look bad:twocents:

HiHiYikas
December 17th, 2006, 01:26 PM
UMass and ASU had the kinds of teams this year that made pretty much everybody else in the FCS look weak(er). A lot of parity elsewhere in the division, but these two programs were a cut or two above everybody else.

Folks griped all year about ASU's "weak" schedule, so they went ahead and scored 160 points against their playoff competition, put more points up against the Minutemen than anybody else this season, and sent top programs from the Big South, Big Sky, Gateway and A10 away with losses.

UMass fans complained that they should be the #2 seed, then the Minuteman showed why with their play on the field. They pulled off an impressive second win against A-10 foe UNH, then put together perhaps the most impressive win of the playoffs in Missoula.

Now try to imagine this in the BCS...

ASU never sees playoff competition, possibly wins a title game against #2 Montana, but their schedule leaves a lot of fans still in doubt.

UMass doesn't even get its shot, plays in a lesser bowl game, finishes the season angry, believing it had a championship-caliber team.

This is why FCS is best. Congrats to UMass and ASU for fantastic seasons.

MplsBison
December 17th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Did you see the GSU and Wofford games? Everybody on the outside is knocking the SoCon this year but the league has as much parity as I've seen. We just made some good teams look bad

Well, in my mind, a very good team in ASU played down to those team's level.

BigApp
December 17th, 2006, 04:04 PM

Again, congrats.

How many 10-penny nails did you bite through while typing this?? :p

and, thank you.

Jaques
December 17th, 2006, 05:46 PM
My sincere congrats to the Mountaineers on their 2nd NC and for the utmost respect given to CCU in the first round. All of us there had a great experience and adopted ASU all the way to the championship. I hope that in the future you'll make a trip to the beach and to Brooks Stadium. Enjoy!:hurray:

proasu89
December 17th, 2006, 10:48 PM
My sincere congrats to the Mountaineers on their 2nd NC and for the utmost respect given to CCU in the first round. All of us there had a great experience and adopted ASU all the way to the championship. I hope that in the future you'll make a trip to the beach and to Brooks Stadium. Enjoy!:hurray:
Thanks for the support. I can't speak for others but I would certainly prefer a home & home with CCU instead of GW.:thumbsup:

Mountaineer#96
December 17th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Well, in my mind, a very good team in ASU played down to those team's level.
You may be correct, but you also have to account the fact that these teams meet every year, and have basic knowledge of each other. Also in heated rivalry games the teams have the tendancy to play up to the better team.

ASU Kep
December 18th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Just got back into Boone. Had a great time at the game except for that opening UMASS drive where I nearly pissed myself.

Man, I could really get used to these pre-Xmas Chattanooga trips. :nod:

Old Cat Fan
December 18th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Late congrats App state on your back to back Championships. First class football program and you guys proved that the cream rises to the top. Best of luck next year, hopefully we can have a APP State UNH playoff game..

HiHiYikas
December 18th, 2006, 08:59 AM
I will be in Boone on Friday - you guys save me some gear.

GOTOREROS
December 18th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Congrats ASU fans - great game, great team.

BillLuc1982
December 18th, 2006, 09:26 AM
ASU proved that they were the best team after seeing the game. Both teams played ball with very few mistakes. However, ASU came out as the better team. This season, the only CS team with a legit shot at beating ASU would be NDSU. And if NDSU wins, let's just say close game!

December 18th, 2006, 10:15 AM
... the only CS team with a legit shot at beating ASU would be NDSU...Uh, no. :twocents:

lizrdgizrd
December 18th, 2006, 10:18 AM
ASU proved that they were the best team after seeing the game. Both teams played ball with very few mistakes. However, ASU came out as the better team. This season, the only CS team with a legit shot at beating ASU would be NDSU. And if NDSU wins, let's just say close game!
You watched the NC, tell me UMass didn't have a chance to beat us. Lynch misses the pick, the Minutemen find the end zone, and it's a 3 point game with enough time for them to get lucky. : smh :