PDA

View Full Version : FCS Championship....Bowl Game?

clenz
February 12th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Per Craig Haley

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20160212110322937427004&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

(STATS) - The FCS conferences whose national playoffs have long set them apart in Division I want to go "bowling" as well.
Those 10 conferences still embrace the playoffs, which have grown from four participants in 1978 to 24 beginning in 2013, but they also want to incorporate an idea of two conferences whose champions are not involved in the playoffs - the MEAC and SWAC.
The champions of the two FCS conferences of historically black schools met in the inaugural Celebration Bowl this past December. The playoff conferences want their championship game, played in early January in Frisco, Texas, to be rebranded with the word "bowl" in the title as well.
They believe the Celebration Bowl gained considerably by being marketed within the FBS bowl schedule. The FBS, the upper level of Division I, had 41 postseason games this past season, including the four-team playoff that began with the 2014 season.
The Missouri Valley Football Conference, home to five-time reigning FCS champion North Dakota State, is a driving force behind the possible rebranding of the championship game. The NCAA and ESPN, which along with its partner networks televise the entire FCS playoffs and most of the FBS postseason, would have to approve a new name, an idea presented to them when FCS conference commissioners met in late January in Florida.
The Big Sky, Big South, Colonial Athletic, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Pioneer, Southern and Southland conferences also participate in the playoffs, which is composed of 10 automatic qualifiers and 14 at-large selections. The MEAC and SWAC are eligible to have at-large qualifiers, although none gained bids in the first year of the Celebration Bowl, while the Ivy League is the only one of 13 FCS conferences not to participate in a postseason.
"The public understands playoffs, so we benefit from that for the first rounds of the championship," said Patty Viverito, commissioner of both the MVFC and the Pioneer League. "But then when it comes time for the championship game, because it's in the mix of what is the bowl frenzy, it gets lost. So we think we can have the best of both worlds by having the playoffs leading up to the 'Football Championship Bowl' - however it is branded, but with the name 'bowl' so that we become part of the bowl lineup."
Interest in the FCS playoffs has risen during North Dakota State's dynasty. The Bison's championship win over Jacksonville State on Jan. 9 averaged 1.35 million viewers during the ESPN2 broadcast, according to Sports TV Ratings. The Toyota Stadium crowd of 21,836 was the largest of the six finals that have been played in Frisco.
Title sponsorship isn't a necessity with a rebranded championship, although the FCS conferences would consider it. The game between MEAC and SWAC champions, played in Atlanta, is officially the Air Force Reserve Celebration Bowl.
"To be in the same space, if you will, as the FBS bowls was absolutely tremendous," MEAC commissioner Dr. Dennis Thomas said. "We were the first game on ABC to start the bowl season. It was branded that way, it was marketed that way, it was promoted that way."
It's exactly the concept the other FCS conferences envision with a possible championship bowl.

Sounds like nothing would change, other than the name.

Good idea or not?

JSUSoutherner
February 12th, 2016, 11:24 AM
I voted no. This is the Championship subdivision. It was hard enough to explain the FBS-FCS difference to my mom. It would be that much harder if I told her they were different but they both compete in "bowl" games.

BisonFan02
February 12th, 2016, 11:27 AM
What's gained? The NCAA going to cut a check to the winning/participating schools? I get the marketing idea....but why bury yourself in the sea of bowls?

iowastatebison
February 12th, 2016, 11:29 AM
"To be in the same space, if you will, as the FBS bowls was absolutely tremendous," MEAC commissioner Dr. Dennis Thomas said. "We were the first game on ABC to start the bowl season. It was branded that way, it was marketed that way, it was promoted that way."

Until ESPN starts promoting the championship game, I don't think it will matter what you call it. It seems like you rarely see any advertisements or build up for the championship.

BisonBacker
February 12th, 2016, 11:43 AM

Until ESPN starts promoting the championship game, I don't think it will matter what you call it. It seems like you rarely see any advertisements or build up for the championship.

This is 100% correct. You can call it what you want but if you don't promote it then it won't change a thing. Besides I thought many in the FCS had no interest in being aligned with the Bowl BS. We make fun of all the different meaningless bowls. The average fan of college football isn't going to all of a sudden be interested in the FCS championship game because you have the word "Bowl" in the title. It's a freaking Championship game in a true playoff format. Why muddy the waters with a stupid concocted title? Dumb idea. Then again coming from Patty V. it doesn't surprise me.

IBleedYellow
February 12th, 2016, 11:46 AM
Ask teams that are there.

It's already ran like a bowl game. However, it's not advertised as such, by ESPN or the NCAA.

clenz
February 12th, 2016, 11:47 AM
Ask teams that are there.

It's already ran like a bowl game. However, it's not advertised as such, by ESPN or the NCAA.
That'd be my one "demand" for the name change.

Get it thrown in the adverts as part of the bowl season. Otherwise it's fine as it is.

RedFlash
February 12th, 2016, 11:50 AM
I voted no. This is the Championship subdivision. It was hard enough to explain the FBS-FCS difference to my mom. It would be that much harder if I told her they were different but they both compete in "bowl" games.

I have to kind of agree with this. The whole FBS vs FCS designation has always bothered me. It's a true championship so simply leave it as a "Championship" game.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 12th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Why don't they just go to Bristol. genuflect in their direction, and say, "O Masters of the Great American College Football Dollar, what doth you deem to be the name of our Championship, sir?" That would be easier that trying to pretend this is a democratic decision that requires a vote.

clenz
February 12th, 2016, 12:01 PM
Anyone have an issue with the D3 game being a "bowl"?

Lehigh Football Nation
February 12th, 2016, 12:05 PM
If this goes through:

* FBS football would have a championship game that is a bowl, but isn't technically a championship
* FCS football would have a bowl game that is a championship, but isn't technically a bowl

I suppose that it would make as much sense as anything else in college athletics right now. However, my issue is that it seems to be a change that is only being made to try to impress ESPN.

BisonFan02
February 12th, 2016, 12:07 PM
Anyone have an issue with the D3 game being a "bowl"?

See post #3.

Bisonator
February 12th, 2016, 12:08 PM
I voted yes. I think if they got a sponsor for it ESPN would probably promote it more. Can't hurt IMO.

Southern Bison
February 12th, 2016, 12:17 PM
Here's my question...why is a non-championship game (Celebration Bowl) promoted and aired on ABC while the FCS Championship game gets little promotion & tucked on ESPN2?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Lehigh Football Nation
February 12th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Does this ever work:

FCS commitee: "We're going to change our name to impress you, ESPN!"

ESPN: "Wow! We will now shower you with promotion and put you in our bowl lineup!"

The Celebration Bowl didn't just come up with the name, and then ESPN jumped and made it a part of their lineup. I'm sure the MEAC and SWAC were involved every step of the way. We know this because ESPN finances the bowls and some of that money finds its way to the conference and bowl participants.

If ESPN is negotiating a cash payout to the playoff participants, and is willing to do the promotion, and all the FCS needs to do is to change the name to a bowl, I'm all ears. However, I don't think that's what's happening here.

GAD
February 12th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Here's my question...why is a non-championship game (Celebration Bowl) promoted and aired on ABC while the FCS Championship game gets little promotion & tucked on ESPN2?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
The CB is an ESPN sponsored event, the fcs champ game is an NCAA sponsored event get your promotion from the NCAA

clenz
February 12th, 2016, 12:39 PM
See post #3.
I doubt the Stagg Bowl gets burried in the sea of bowls because of the fact it's called a bowl, especially since it takes place before the first bowl game.

It probably happens because it's a D3 title game between small schools (Mt Union has an enrollment of 2,300, St. Thomas and Whitewater are BIG D3 schools at under 12K each).

BisonFan02
February 12th, 2016, 12:48 PM
I doubt the Stagg Bowl gets burried in the sea of bowls because of the fact it's called a bowl, especially since it takes place before the first bowl game.

It probably happens because it's a D3 title game between small schools (Mt Union has an enrollment of 2,300, St. Thomas and Whitewater are BIG D3 schools at under 12K each).

Not that point. Remove the "Stagg" designation, what is lost? What is gained by calling it a "Bowl"? There is a marketing/sponsorship opportunity, but that could be done in the current environment...

JSUSoutherner
February 12th, 2016, 12:53 PM

In D1 there are 42 bowl games (including the Celebration Bowl) and 2 Championship games. Why would we take our game which is one of two and become one of 43? We would still be less noticed than the NOLA bowl.

I dont think designation of the championship game to a bowl would do anything other than make it more bland in a landscape of other worthless bowl games.

clenz
February 12th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Not that point. Remove the "Stagg" designation, what is lost? What is gained by calling it a "Bowl"? There is a marketing/sponsorship opportunity, but that could be done in the current environment...
I think what needs to be looked at, and I think is the point that Patty V was attempting to make...as best she could.

Call it the Harold R. Raymond Bowl...or Tubby Bowl (AHAH)...find some sponsor to attatch to it and you've got something slightly more marketable to the ESPN.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 12th, 2016, 01:03 PM
I don't see the benefit of it. This look like BS tinkering just to tinker, I don't see how the name change helps, much like some other branding crap that people find so alluring.

clenz
February 12th, 2016, 01:08 PM
I don't see the benefit of it. This look like BS tinkering just to tinker, I don't see how the name change helps, much like some other branding crap that people find so alluring.
I'm not sure it will help either, honestly.

Much like the super bowl half time outrage thread I'm just trying to paint as much a full picture as I can.

I can get the draw of at least looking at it.

1. Getting it framed in a way that ESPN is willing to promote it more. Maybe get some better ratings.
2. Getting a sponsor hooked onto it may help the NCAA offset some playoff costs. Might lead to a less forced regionalization of the playoffs in general...maybe....

I'm not sure it does anything, but it can't hurt to at least sniff around it and see if it's a way to help the game

BisonFan02
February 12th, 2016, 01:08 PM

http://memecrunch.com/meme/Q4D5/get-off-my-lawn/image.jpg

BisonFan02
February 12th, 2016, 01:12 PM
The Casey's General Bowl.
I'll show myself out. xlolx

clenz
February 12th, 2016, 01:13 PM
I'll show myself out. xlolxThe FCS Championship Bowl...hell leave it Title Game for all I care...Presented by Casey's General Stores.

Winner

BisonFan02
February 12th, 2016, 01:21 PM
The FCS Championship Bowl...hell leave it Title Game for all I care...Presented by Casey's General Stores.

Winner

The HyVee Halftime Show

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
February 12th, 2016, 01:22 PM

For sure! Amazing that the game is not hyped AT ALL by espn and the NCAA. Instead lets go to a 3 hour special broadcast highlighting the Clemson Cheer Team! xthumbsdownx

clenz
February 12th, 2016, 01:23 PM
The HyVee Halftime Show
xnodx

Both Iowa based companies...even better.

Call it the Iowawesome Bowl presented by Casey's General Store. The Hy-Vee Halftime show featuring the Sioux Falls drumline known as SuFuDu....

BisonFan02
February 12th, 2016, 01:25 PM
xnodx

Both Iowa based companies...even better.

Call it the Iowawesome Bowl

Yup. Like Chatty, you guys can lay your claim to the national championship by sponsoring it, rather than hosting. :D

ursus arctos horribilis
February 12th, 2016, 01:34 PM
I'm not sure it will help either, honestly.

Much like the super bowl half time outrage thread I'm just trying to paint as much a full picture as I can.

I can get the draw of at least looking at it.

1. Getting it framed in a way that ESPN is willing to promote it more. Maybe get some better ratings.
2. Getting a sponsor hooked onto it may help the NCAA offset some playoff costs. Might lead to a less forced regionalization of the playoffs in general...maybe....

I'm not sure it does anything, but it can't hurt to at least sniff around it and see if it's a way to help the game

I get it but man I'm not too sure about doing this ****. Tired of the selling of souls and the idiotic naming of the games so ESPN will do whatever.

It's a niche thing, I'm fine with that. ESPN puts on a lot of events that draw much less viewership so as long as we have a way to watch it and I don't have to see it called the Campbell's Mushroom Soup Bowl then I'm happy with it the way it is.

Viewership is not driven by the good football aspect in most cases, it is driven by the setting or channel so it really just doesn't mean jack **** to me. The core group that wants to see it will see it, the rest....WGAF.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 12th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Eh, you guys covered some of the naming crap it appears.

BisonFan02
February 12th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Eh, you guys covered some of the naming crap it appears.

did we? :D

Bisonator
February 12th, 2016, 03:30 PM
The FCS Championship Bowl...hell leave it Title Game for all I care...Presented by Casey's General Stores.

Winner

xthumbsupx

RootinFerDukes
February 12th, 2016, 03:56 PM
Here's my question: will ESPN take this seriously and actually market the "bowl game" and put it on at least the main ESPN channel and give us an appropriate date and time to play it where we aren't "forgotten"? If so, then call it the whatever you want to call it bowl.
If we're just going to slap a "Taco Bell Quesalupa" Bowl name on it and nothing else changes in terms of marketing or exposure, then honestly what's the point?

IBleedYellow
February 12th, 2016, 04:04 PM
The Football Champions Bowl presented by Casey's General Store.

or

The FCS Champions Bowl presented by Casey's General Store.

or

The Casey's FCS Champions Bowl.

NoVABison
February 12th, 2016, 06:52 PM
Getting a sponsor hooked onto it may help the NCAA offset some playoff costs. Might lead to a less forced regionalization of the playoffs in general...maybe....

This would be the only reason to do this... right now, they claim (at the beginning of playoff games on ESPN) it's sponsored by Capital One -- maybe they need to step up and pay more... also, ESPN could do a much better job of promoting it. I just think ESPN is missing out on some great stories not covering the FCS, D2, and D3 championships. I for one would be interested in more coverage of Mt Union, NW Mo State, etc... championship winning teams are interesting to learn more about. The story on College Gameday last year about UW Whitewater was really interesting, they need to do more of those.

But, at the end of the day, I don't care... its on ESPN2, the current broadcast team from ESPN does a great job. True football fans are going to find it and watch it no matter what.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 12th, 2016, 08:29 PM
This just sounds like a dumb idea that could have a negative effect. Like others have said, what distinguishes this game for 50 others during that time of year is the fact it's the "FCS Championship Game". The last thing FCS needs is their pinnacle game being lost in the shuffle. It's already a forgotten entity for the most part.

This was already done back in the pre 1-AA days. I think Lehigh won the "Pioneer Bowl" to claim the '77 D2 title....

How about they go back to 1-AA? I still like the designation better. Anything pre-2005'ish I refer to as a 1-AA anyway. The NCAA finally decided to stop calling the "First Four" the "First Round" of the NCAA tournament. The "first round" is once again the Thursday-Friday games. That was a logical move....

JayJ79
February 12th, 2016, 09:00 PM

instead of dumping the gatorade bucket on the winning coach (which technically can't happen anyway, since gatorade isn't a CocaCola product), they dump all the bacon bits off the top of a breakfast pizza on the coach.

BisonFan02
February 12th, 2016, 09:14 PM
instead of dumping the gatorade bucket on the winning coach (which technically can't happen anyway, since gatorade isn't a CocaCola product), they dump all the bacon bits off the top of a breakfast pizza on the coach.

http://replygif.net/i/1114.gif

Bisonoline
February 12th, 2016, 09:43 PM
If ESPN would actually promote and market the FCS Championship game they wouldnt have to try and rebrand it.

Thumper 76
February 12th, 2016, 09:48 PM
If ESPN would actually promote and market the FCS Championship game they wouldnt have to try and rebrand it.

This. The name has nothing to do with its success. It has to do with it getting a smidgen of promotion. Being called a bowl isn't why the Celebration bowl did well. Or the level of play. It was because of the fact it was on ABC and it was promoted. Calling it a bowl just cheapens it and puts it into the cess pool of the toilet bowls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
February 13th, 2016, 01:59 AM
Nah - could go for the "Something Cup" Game though...a la World Cup, Stanley Cup, Grey Cup...since the names for 'real' the FCS Awards didn't 'transfer,' how about the:

"Payton Cup FCS Championship Game sponsored by Budweiser"

....see the multi-layered built-in promotional tie-in possibilities there...this year, at least?

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/10/101014/2539509-3281855778-walte.jpghttp://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0226/7001/articles/PEYTON_BUDWEISER.jpg?v=1454930834http://thebeergearstore.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Bud-Stackable1-1024x669.jpg

JSUSoutherner
February 13th, 2016, 03:08 AM
Nah - could go for the "Something Cup" Game though...a la World Cup, Stanley Cup, Grey Cup...since the names for 'real' the FCS Awards didn't 'transfer,' how about the:

"Payton Cup FCS Championship Game sponsored by Budweiser"

....see the multi-layered built-in promotional tie-in possibilities there...this year, at least?

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/10/101014/2539509-3281855778-walte.jpghttp://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0226/7001/articles/PEYTON_BUDWEISER.jpg?v=1454930834http://thebeergearstore.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Bud-Stackable1-1024x669.jpg
Two reasons why not to do this:
1.) Sweetness never played on an FCS team. Jackson State was D2 while he was there. Never really understood the Walter Payton FCS award. It's like having the defensive FBS award named the Josh Norman award.
2.) Peyton Manning (notice Peyton and Payton) played for Tennessee. Once again not really having anything to do with the FCS.

As for the Budweiser... I got nothing. xthumbsupxxdrunkyx

FUBeAR
February 13th, 2016, 03:44 AM
1.) Sweetness never played on an FCS team. Jackson State was D2 while he was there. Never really understood the Walter Payton FCS award. It's like having the defensive FBS award named the Josh Norman award.
2.) Peyton Manning (notice Peyton and Payton) played for Tennessee. Once again not really having anything to do with the FCS.

You should really let your Artistic/Musician side win out over your Engineering side a little more often. Jazz > Differential Equations

gumby013
February 13th, 2016, 07:17 AM

Peyton owns a Budweiser distributorship...in Louisiana I think.

caribbeanhen
February 13th, 2016, 07:48 AM
What's gained? The NCAA going to cut a check to the winning/participating schools? I get the marketing idea....but why bury yourself in the sea of bowls?

to get to the surface so someone might see you

clenz
February 13th, 2016, 09:38 AM

They weren't really D2 any more than South Alabama or UTSA were ever FCS. Label them what you want for that that but it doesn't really fit

Divisional alignments pre-1981 are pretty iffy for the extreme majority of D1 schools. They played an almost exclusive "D1" schedule. Been in the SWAC since 1958, which would qualify as "D1" conference during that period.

IBleedYellow
February 13th, 2016, 09:51 AM
The more I think about it, the more I hate it.

RootinFerDukes
February 13th, 2016, 10:05 AM
I voted yes because I am in favor of the idea, as stupid as it is, if it makes a difference with marketing, promotion and exposure. The Celebration Bowl was listed right alongside ESPN's other bowl games and there's no doubt some fans were "tricked" into thinking it was some random G5 bowl game between some Sun Belt schools or something. Hell, if the commentators hadn't said FCS about 10,000 times throughout the broadcast and "national championship", a viewer would've thought they were some random low end FBS teams.

Not that I'm suggesting we subscribe to smoke and mirrors to try and make our level appear bigger than it is, but anything that will draw better viewership, I'm always in favor of.

ASU33
February 13th, 2016, 01:52 PM
It doesn't matter what you call the game if it isn't marketed effectively.

DeltaDevil662
February 13th, 2016, 02:31 PM
It doesn't matter what you call the game if it isn't marketed effectively.

And there it is.

ESPN and the NCAA treat the FCS title game like Armwrestling. We know ESPN only shows the playoffs out of charity to the NCAA and it shows with the (lack of) promotion.

As far as the comment about "being tricked into thinking it was a G5 game", that would be better than what the FCS Championship is getting now. Any college football fan with a decent amount of knowledge knows there are no FBS HBCUs so people KNOW they were watching a high quality game between two HBCU conference champions. It was the first game of bowl season so there was no need for any "tricking" when you were the only game on TV.

PAllen
February 13th, 2016, 02:31 PM
Sure why not. Lot's of championship games have been called bowls. Heck, you might even bring in a casual viewer or two who might decide that they like this level of football.

BluBengal07
February 13th, 2016, 04:02 PM
And it begins.... not surprised. xcoffeex

Panther88
February 13th, 2016, 04:50 PM
I'm not for it, at all.

I think the fcs tourney participants should continue to FOLLOW [l] lol in the format they have relegated themselves to for the sake of schedule normalcy and continued obscurity, except from the minute fcs supporters that are evident during fball season.

:)