PDA

View Full Version : CAA 2016 Off Season chatter

Gangtackle11
February 11th, 2016, 07:15 AM
Have anything to report about your CAA team? Good place to have some talks as we await the 2016 season.

It should a good one with Richmond more than likely the lead dog in preseason & a lot of teams right behind.

Have at it as Spring practices are coming up soon!

Tribe4SF
February 11th, 2016, 08:15 AM
News from W&M that The College now allows freshman athletes to enter school in January. This has never been allowed in the past. We have two recruits enrolled who will participate in winter workouts and spring ball. Change came about as a result of last year's report from the Committee on Competitive Excellence. The report established a new strategic plan intended to create a "championship experience for every student-athlete".

Gangtackle11
February 11th, 2016, 09:23 AM
Good stuff on Coach Talley:

http://www.snappytv.com/tc/1370593/581405

bostonspider
February 11th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Richmond has had to replace both offensive and defensive coordinators. Charlie Fisher left to become HC at Western Illinois, and Bob Trott left UR for the same position at rival JMU. The new OC is John Garrett, brother of Dallas HC Jason Garrett.

http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210650588

Richmond's new DC is Chris Cosh, who has been DC at UMD, KSU and USF.

http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26800&ATCLID=210687390

So lots of coaching changes at UR, and we will have to see what impact it has on the team next season, with lots of talent coming back from a semifinal appearance

bluehenbillk
February 11th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Dave Brock has gone on record guaranteeing a return to the playoffs for Delaware. It's pretty widely assumed that if Brock fails to make the playoffs this season, after missing in each of his 1st 3 years & with a new President & AD coming on board, that he will be replaced at the end of the season.

UD was last (123/123)in passing nationally last year & incredibly failed to sign a QB recruit & has yet to address the position with a transfer. The WR corps is bad as well. In Newark they're counting on their defense to lead the way.

UNHWildcat18
February 11th, 2016, 05:05 PM
Not really sure where UNH will be next year. We have a good amount of question marks ourselves. Our front seven is my biggest concern. If you can't stop the run you can't win a NC. NDSU has proved that over and over

jmufan999
February 12th, 2016, 07:50 AM
JMU will be very tough to figure out. we return nearly the entire team from last year, except Vad. that's a huge piece, obviously, but we get back a ton of talent.

major questions I have:

*will Houston turn around a talented but extremely undisciplined defense? there is lots of athleticism on that side of the ball with which to work. I believe we will improve on defense while Houston is at JMU, but how long will it take?

*who will play QB? I'm not expecting anything like last year's offense with Vad, but hopefully with an improved D, we wouldn't need to win shootouts. our best bet to start (Mack Waldman) will not be able to enroll until the fall semester, likely meaning Bryan Schor will be back as the starter. I wasn't thoroughly impressed with him, but maybe he will improve some in a slightly different offense and more experience under his belt.

Terry2889
February 12th, 2016, 09:40 AM
Not really sure where UNH will be next year. We have a good amount of question marks ourselves. Our front seven is my biggest concern. If you can't stop the run you can't win a NC. NDSU has proved that over and over

Definitely a lot of question marks, but also a lot of very good talent from the last two recruiting seasons should make this year a very interesting and exciting one at UNH. Don't know about playoffs, but I am truly excited to see some of our new pieces on the field this season. Also, for those teams visiting Durham this upcoming season, we all get to look forward to the opening of a beautiful new facility! No more waiting in line for one bathroom!!!

Terry2889
February 12th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Also, Tribe, when you get a chance could you supply some photos of the progress on Zable? I'd love to see some updates, but unfortunately, like us, most of the pictures on the website are from months ago.

Seawolf97
February 12th, 2016, 01:01 PM
A lot going on at StonyBrook in the off season. Our quest for a new offensive coordinator continues. Our former coordinator is now the head coach at D3 Union College. 2000 new seats will be added to the North End Zone along with concession stands and restrooms. Project scheduled to be competed in early 2017 . This will give us a seating capacity of 10,400 for the 2017 season. Eventually the plan is to expand to 21,400 in the long term. Fund raising for the indoor practice facility continues as they plan to raise about 12 million dollars to start the project. Two new QB,s signed with us this year. Ben Holmes is a Junior College product from upstate New York via Nassau Community College. Tyrick Fields is from Bishop Stepinack High School in White Plains NY . Both are supposed to be very good especially Fields who will be a freshman at 6,3 215 pounds. Neither one is available until summer practice starts .
Just looking forward to 9/3 and our home opener against North Dakota . Should tell these guys to arrive a day early and take in NYC nothing like it.

Terry2889
February 12th, 2016, 01:13 PM
A lot going on at StonyBrook in the off season. Our quest for a new offensive coordinator continues. Our former coordinator is now the head coach at D3 Union College. 2000 new seats will be added to the North End Zone along with concession stands and restrooms. Project scheduled to be competed in early 2017 . This will give us a seating capacity of 10,400 for the 2017 season. Eventually the plan is to expand to 21,400 in the long term. Fund raising for the indoor practice facility continues as they plan to raise about 12 million dollars to start the project. Two new QB,s signed with us this year. Ben Holmes is a Junior College product from upstate New York via Nassau Community College. Tyrick Fields is from Bishop Stepinack High School in White Plains NY . Both are supposed to be very good especially Fields who will be a freshman at 6,3 215 pounds. Neither one is available until summer practice starts .
Just looking forward to 9/3 and our home opener against North Dakota . Should tell these guys to arrive a day early and take in NYC nothing like it.

One of your recruits we were really high on in Jordan Scarborough at DT. Good get for you guys.

Seawolf97
February 12th, 2016, 01:19 PM
One of your recruits we were really high on in Jordan Scarborough at DT. Good get for you guys.

I heard that . We need big bodies on both the OL and DL that was a major problem last season.

Tribe4SF
February 14th, 2016, 08:26 AM
Also, Tribe, when you get a chance could you supply some photos of the progress on Zable? I'd love to see some updates, but unfortunately, like us, most of the pictures on the website are from months ago.

Last update was 1/19/16 and first picture is from that date. Gallery at link. Second pic is vision for completion. Ahead of schedule.

http://www.tribeathletics.com/news/2016/1/19/FB_0119161252.aspx

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r798/Tribe4SF/zable%201-19-16_zpsoj8ndrus.jpg
http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r798/Tribe4SF/zable%20renovation_zpswezadt13.png

RootinFerDukes
February 14th, 2016, 08:57 AM
What will be the new seating capacity at zable?

Tribe4SF
February 14th, 2016, 11:58 AM
What will be the new seating capacity at zable?

Undetermined. Seats must be wider, so fewer per row, and size of end zone seating not yet decided. I think around 13,000.

spdram
February 15th, 2016, 07:35 PM
Improvements should be great, looking foraward to coming down to see the digs this season

Terry2889
February 16th, 2016, 06:02 AM
Last update was 1/19/16 and first picture is from that date. Gallery at link. Second pic is vision for completion. Ahead of schedule.

http://www.tribeathletics.com/news/2016/1/19/FB_0119161252.aspx

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r798/Tribe4SF/zable%201-19-16_zpsoj8ndrus.jpg
http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r798/Tribe4SF/zable%20renovation_zpswezadt13.png
Looks Awesome! Thanks Tribe. With the exception of URI and 'Nova, the CAA will have all solid venues! And it looks like 'Nova could be moving to renovate in the next few years. And really, all that URI would have to do is to build a similar grandstand to yours or UNH's and Meade would immediately become one of the best venues in the CAA due to there being no track.

Gangtackle11
February 21st, 2016, 04:28 PM
Looks like 2 CAA players are invited to upcoming NFL combine:

DeAndre Houston-Carson S William & Mary

Victor Ochi DE Stony Brook

Good luck gents. Rep the CAA.

bostonspider
February 22nd, 2016, 09:18 AM
URI showed this plan once for a new Meade Stadium..

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7529/15651685546_281c039d9b_o.jpg

Gangtackle11
February 22nd, 2016, 11:47 AM
Villanova has a September 2016 completion date for this project:

http://youtu.be/SJ9xgrXWlfI

Terry2889
February 22nd, 2016, 12:58 PM
URI showed this plan once for a new Meade Stadium..

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7529/15651685546_281c039d9b_o.jpg
Hell, I'd go to that and I'm not even a URI fan. Head on over to Newport for a couple of beers at the Red Parrot after the game? URI is sitting on a recruiting gold mine with that.

bluehenbillk
March 10th, 2016, 01:30 PM
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20160310122010355167404&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

STATS CAA SPRING PREVIEW

Tribe4SF
March 17th, 2016, 05:13 AM
Zable renovation taking shape.

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r798/Tribe4SF/zable%203-16-16_zpsdge0zuzk.jpg

Terry2889
March 17th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Zable renovation taking shape.

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r798/Tribe4SF/zable%203-16-16_zpsdge0zuzk.jpg
Awesome!

bostonspider
March 17th, 2016, 12:28 PM
From last month, but progress at UNH as well

http://www.nh1.com/images/thumbnails/E8DDDD7359388B3E68466B72438DF9E6_787_442.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZ2gPiyUUAAEVyM.jpg:large

jmufan999
March 18th, 2016, 01:09 PM
so... no news? actual football news? come on, guys. give me SOMETHING here.

JMU just started spring practices. I really like Coach Houston a lot, and most JMU fans appear to agree. the consensus seems to be that he's a very intense guy but he appears much more personable than Withers. don't get me wrong, that's not super important. just comparing the two. I've said it before: he will improve our defense, it's just a question of how long that turnaround will take.

we still don't know who the QB is. given the head start he'll have over the summer arrivals (freshmen and one transfer), I anticipate Schor winning the job. I went back and watched the Colgate game a few nights ago, and I would swear I was watching Christian Ponder. his game just seems very similar to Ponder's in so many ways. such a shame, because the rest of the team is loaded with talent. even on defense we're talented, but were horribly undisciplined last year. JMU fans seem to love Schor, but I'm honestly not sure why. I'm sure he's a nice guy, he just has some limitations. if Mack Waldman (transfer) had been here for spring practice, I believe he would have won the job. he'll be too far behind and I think that Schor will be the guy to start the season "under center" (shotgun).

there. I started. your turn.

bostonspider
March 18th, 2016, 03:51 PM
RT-D article on the Spiders' need for a new starter at RB

http://www.richmond.com/sports/article_159be5c1-30ea-570b-aa0c-e01730fbd05c.html

KPSUL
March 18th, 2016, 06:14 PM
so... no news? actual football news? come on, guys. give me SOMETHING here.

JMU just started spring practices. I really like Coach Houston a lot, and most JMU fans appear to agree. the consensus seems to be that he's a very intense guy but he appears much more personable than Withers. don't get me wrong, that's not super important. just comparing the two. I've said it before: he will improve our defense, it's just a question of how long that turnaround will take.

we still don't know who the QB is. given the head start he'll have over the summer arrivals (freshmen and one transfer), I anticipate Schor winning the job. I went back and watched the Colgate game a few nights ago, and I would swear I was watching Christian Ponder. his game just seems very similar to Ponder's in so many ways. such a shame, because the rest of the team is loaded with talent. even on defense we're talented, but were horribly undisciplined last year. JMU fans seem to love Schor, but I'm honestly not sure why. I'm sure he's a nice guy, he just has some limitations. if Mack Waldman (transfer) had been here for spring practice, I believe he would have won the job. he'll be too far behind and I think that Schor will be the guy to start the season "under center" (shotgun).

there. I started. your turn.

So you think Coach Houston will operate an offense largely from the shotgun?

Gangtackle11
March 18th, 2016, 09:09 PM
I wonder how my Wildcats will be in 2016? It's the swan song season for the iconic Coach Talley.

The names of Robertson & Cherry are no longer on the Main Line.

Will promising Redshirt Sophomore QB Zach Bednarczyk be the answer or will strong armed Adeyami Da Silva give him a run for his money??

The backs coming back were banged up with injuries mostly. I wonder if one will emerge to become the feature back or is it running back by committee?

The receivers generally lacked separation speed and the staff went out and brought in 3 recruits to address that area. Sophomore slot receiver Jarrett McClenton flashed signs of brilliance with his superior speed.

The offensive line was mediocre at best having to rely on 2 frosh starters by season's end. The return of 6'8" 300 lbs+ Brad Seaton from injury will be a welcomed sight at LT. The line should be improved and will hold the key to our run game especially.

Our kicking game has been suspect to say the least, but sophomore Gerard Smith shows signs that he can provide some reliability there.

Defensively, the loss of All-American MLB Don Cherry will be an adjustment for sure, but there is a lot of optimism on this side of the ball. Last year it was the defense that kept the team from imploding after Payton award winner QB John Robertson's devastating season ending injury.

Up front 6'7" 285lbs. DE Tanoh Kpassagnon has kept NFL scouts coming to the Main Line on a regular basis. Expect Kpass to be a dominant pass rusher in his final season. Temple transfer Brian Osei should hold down the other DE & the 2 headed NT spot will be manned by B.White & R.Young most likely.

The LB corps will miss tackling machine Cherry, but it's still solid with All-CAA 3rd team performer Austin Calitro & 5th year senior Corey Majors returning. Capable Ed Shockley & promising RS Frosh LBs D. WIley & A.Malaguti add depth.

All-CAA corner Malik Reeves is a potential pro. The remaining of the DBs are mostly unproven as spring camp unfolds.

Schedule isn't taxing after opening up at Pitt. The Cats miss W&M, UNH, & Stony Brook. They play PL neighbors Lehigh & Lafayette.

I see 6-8 wins in the regular season if the offense can move the chains and give the defense a chance.. That puts the odds around 66% a playoff team.

Last season Villanova was preseason #1 CAA & top 5 in FCS. Finished 6-5. 'Nuff said!

Just never know!

Gangtackle11
March 19th, 2016, 06:46 AM
The West Endzone Project is coming along. The Howie Long Strength & Conditioning Center will be used by multi-sports, but the building will be the new home for football including locker room & offices.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdXDG9NWwAAD47V?format=pjpg&name=large

jmufan999
March 21st, 2016, 10:07 AM

yep, the "plan" is for the offense to change very little. the crazy hurry-up tempo will probably be gone. he insinuated that it hurt our defense last year. he said we'll go hurry up when we want to and slow down when we want to. style will be very similar, shotgun-based spread offense that emphasizes the running game, getting athletes the ball in space.

that said, I think the "plan" might need to change if the QB can't play. I'm not trying to trash the kid, I'm just not sold at this point.

KPSUL
March 21st, 2016, 05:26 PM
yep, the "plan" is for the offense to change very little. the crazy hurry-up tempo will probably be gone. he insinuated that it hurt our defense last year. he said we'll go hurry up when we want to and slow down when we want to. style will be very similar, shotgun-based spread offense that emphasizes the running game, getting athletes the ball in space.

that said, I think the "plan" might need to change if the QB can't play. I'm not trying to trash the kid, I'm just not sold at this point.

UNH seems to be finally getting away from a non-stop up-tempo offense. It puts tremendous stress on the defense, leaving it on the field a disproportionate amount of time. It helps to have the ability to go up-tempo at certain points of the game, but I like to see a team that can mix it up with a ball control offense. It particularly hurt us against teams that had a strong running, ball-control game like 2012-13 Towson, 2015 William and Mary and of course playoff games against Wofford (2012) and the team that knocked out both UNH and JMU this past season, Colgate.

Many CAA schools have a big ? at QB, including UNH, Nova, Delaware and JMU. Should be an interesting season in the CAA. Richmond and W&M will have established starters coming back at QB, although IMO, Lauletta has a greater ability to effect the outcome of a close game than Cluley.

jmufan999
March 21st, 2016, 06:02 PM
Many CAA schools have a big ? at QB, including UNH, Nova, Delaware and JMU. Should be an interesting season in the CAA. Richmond and W&M will have established starters coming back at QB, although IMO, Lauletta has a greater ability to effect the outcome of a close game than Cluley.

no question those are the 2 QB's to watch. i like Lauletta more, but it could have been because of Richmond's strong OL and running game. i'm not sure what they get back at those positions and it's almost dinner time, so i'm not looking it up. actually, i wouldn't look it up regardless.

tribefan40
March 21st, 2016, 07:38 PM
no question those are the 2 QB's to watch. i like Lauletta more, but it could have been because of Richmond's strong OL and running game. i'm not sure what they get back at those positions and it's almost dinner time, so i'm not looking it up. actually, i wouldn't look it up regardless.

I think Lauletta has always been the purer talent, but in my heart of hearts I think Cluley lights it up this year behind a veteran oline and returning playmakers all over the offense. Not having to enter Robins stadium might also help...

bostonspider
March 23rd, 2016, 09:46 AM
New Spiders coordinators looking to make good great
By JOHN O'CONNOR Richmond Times-Dispatch

University of Richmond football coach Danny Rocco slid a thick white notebook across his desk. This is UR's spring practice plan, with each of 14 sessions scripted to the minute.

Practices one through five involve core offensive and defensive installation, execution on first and second downs, base offense vs. base defense. As the Spiders advance from last Thursday's first practice to the spring game on April 16, they'll branch out into other areas. The accent remains on evaluation and development, particularly among young players. Rocco knows what his veterans can do.

The contents of this white notebook have guided Richmond through spring ball for Rocco's five years at the school, and the six previous years he directed Liberty's program.

"The model is in place," Rocco said. "I make small tweaks from year to year, but it has very little to do with the fact that I might have changes in my coaching staff."

The Spiders this year employ a new offensive coordinator, John Garrett, and a new defensive coordinator, Chris Cosh. They spent the winter learning Richmond's systems. The Spiders' look in the fall is expected to resemble how they looked last season, when they shared the CAA Football championship, advanced to the FCS semifinals and finished 10-4.

That success and 15 returning starters led by quarterback Kyle Lauletta, offensive lineman Thomas Evans and linebacker Omar Howard make offensive and defensive reinventions needless. But as with Rocco's spring practice routine, look for subtle, simple tweaks initiated by the new coordinators.

"People study you and expose you. You've got to change. You've got to stay ahead," Rocco said.

Rocco asked Garrett and Cosh to polish Richmond in a year with great expectations. UR heads into the 2016 season with more promise than in any year since 2009, when the Spiders came off their 2008 FCS championship with 16 returning starters and then went 10-1 during the 2009 regular season under coach Mike London. The loss: 21-20 to Villanova. That UR team lost 35-31 to visiting Appalachian State in the FCS quarterfinals and finished 11-2.

For these coordinator positions, in this year, Rocco was uninterested in young coaches who required on-the-job training. Speaking of Garrett, 51, and Cosh, 56, Rocco said, "They get it. They've done it. ... I could not have gotten two better guys."

Garrett and Cosh try to find the winning balance between maintaining what succeeded last season, and implementing a few new twists.

"It's really pretty easy when you have good players and you have a good team," said Garrett. "You simply look at what they do well, based upon their talent, and make sure you keep that. Then, based on your experience, you sprinkle in some stuff that you think will improve what's already there. It's not a problem. It's a good situation to be in."

Garrett, the older brother of Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett, has coaching experience with four NFL teams and coordinated Oregon State's offense in 2014. Garrett, a Princeton graduate, also worked on Al Groh's Virginia staff with Rocco a decade ago and was an offensive quality-control specialist at Florida last year.

Cosh, a former Virginia Tech linebacker, has been a defensive coordinator for 16 of his 30 coaching seasons. He coordinated South Carolina's defense for Lou Holtz and Michigan State's defense for Nick Saban.

"What we do is pretty good, How do we make it great? That's kind of our theme this spring, good to great," said Cosh. "As a staff, as players, if we all find something we can all do a little bit better, the thing moves forward."

Garrett replaced Charlie Fisher, who became the head coach at Western Illinois after one season as Richmond's offensive coordinator. Cosh stepped in for Bob Trott, who moved to the James Madison staff as defensive coordinator after six years with the Spiders in that capa

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 23rd, 2016, 10:45 AM
Always curious to watch how teams with new coordinators perform during that first season. My unscientific observation is that there is usually a learning curve. It will be interesting to see how Richmond does this season. With the talent they have returning it should be a successful season. Will they repeat the deep playoff run?

bostonspider
March 23rd, 2016, 03:31 PM
The Richmond Times Dispatch seems to be on a bit of a Spider Football article binge these days:

UR notes: With Rocco, stability again at the top

Stability again at top

Danny Rocco, entering his fifth season as the University of Richmond's football coach, can say something no Spiders coach since Jim Reid could. Rocco recruited all of the players in his program.

Reid coached Richmond for nine years (1995-2003). Reid was succeeded by Dave Clawson, who stayed four years (2004-07). Then came Mike London for two years, Latrell Scott for one, and interim coach Wayne Lineburg for one, before Rocco's arrival.

"I kind of felt when I first got here, people were struggling to hear me a little bit. There had been so many messages, so many coaches," Rocco said. "I wouldn't say 'rebel' because no one rebels on the head coach. But they were just reluctant to kind of buy in.

"As I go into my fifth year, (players) start to recognize 'My gosh, he keeps saying the same things. He keeps giving the same messages. He keeps focusing in on the same core values over and over.' They're getting to the point where they're saying 'I'm getting this message and I understand this message.' And then kids start living that message.

"I've just been real pleased with how the culture has evolved."

Spiders leaning on veterans' foundation

The Spiders started spring ball March 17 and wrap up offseason practice with their annual spring game on April 16. Richmond last season went 10-4, shared the CAA Football championship, and advanced to the FCS semifinals, losing 33-7 at North Dakota State, which has won five consecutive national titles.

UR lost only seven starters from that group.

"There's a reality that the dynamics each and every season change. You've got to be able to recognize where those changes are and where the strengths and weaknesses may lie within that team," said Rocco.

"The thing I'm really excited about with this team is just some of the leadership that we've got. I've got some guys, it's really, really important to them. They live it. They breathe it. There are some kids on this team that want to win in a big way and they are locked and loaded. I see them every day with the exact same expression and focus."

Richmond almost certainly will be viewed as the CAA favorite, and may appear among the top five in national preseason polls.

32counter
March 24th, 2016, 09:46 AM
Always curious to watch how teams with new coordinators perform during that first season. My unscientific observation is that there is usually a learning curve. It will be interesting to see how Richmond does this season. With the talent they have returning it should be a successful season. Will they repeat the deep playoff run?

Speaking of changing assistants,I see Ricky Santos has exited Durham to move to NYC to coach at Columbia.Curious move for a guy who was All Everything at UNH.Mornhinweg at Columbia is a highly rated QB
who may get looked by the Sunday merchants.Having Santos by his side will help.

As a Spider we'll miss not playing the Wildcats in 2016.We owe you.

Catsfan90
March 24th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Speaking of changing assistants,I see Ricky Santos has exited Durham to move to NYC to coach at Columbia.Curious move for a guy who was All Everything at UNH.Mornhinweg at Columbia is a highly rated QB

Money talks my friend. And Durham unfortunately doesn't talk.

Mattymc727
March 24th, 2016, 10:39 AM

Not sure how it has happened, but it seems the last few years UNH has missed out on playing the conference favorite each year. Its a rotating schedule, but its definitely suspicious.

Ricky leaving is also a head scratcher. I guess for him its good to move from WR coach to QB coach and even get some power in play calling, but UNH may have made a mistake in letting him go. Maybe he will come back as HC some day, who knows.

KPSUL
March 24th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Money talks my friend. And Durham unfortunately doesn't talk.

What do you mean? How about the 500+ fans that are going to ante-up $1000 per seat to sit in the "Victory Club" section this season.

Gangtackle11
March 24th, 2016, 01:42 PM
We miss UNH & Stony Brook again.

W&M also.

That will make it 5 straight years for UNH & SB for 4 years.

Crazy.

KPSUL
March 24th, 2016, 02:06 PM
We miss UNH & Stony Brook again.

W&M also.

That will make it 5 straight years for UNH & SB for 4 years.

Crazy.

Not quite 5 years, but UNH hasn't played Nova or JMU since 2013. But more surprising, we haven't played an away game against either team since 2010. Does anyone know how CAA conference scheduling actually is suppose to work? I know they have had to reset due to teams joining and leaving, but they should be able to come up with something better than this. No doubt, UNH has had the least challenging schedule in recent years, I didn't check, but it seems to me that William and Mary may have had the toughest.

Catsfan90
March 24th, 2016, 02:28 PM
What do you mean? How about the 500+ fans that are going to ante-up $1000 per seat to sit in the "Victory Club" section this season.

You are forgetting about the extra $1,000 per seat that they will be graciously donating to the university.

Gangtackle11
March 27th, 2016, 11:37 AM
Last time Villanova hoops went to the Final Four the Cats won a FCS championship.

Just sayin'. Fear us Bison. Haha

jmufan999
March 29th, 2016, 12:08 AM

thought i'd give a quick update. appears we're practicing MORE from under center. take that with a grain of salt, the key word is "more". i still think most of our offense will be out of the shotgun, but it's possible we'll be more multiple than we have been the last 2 years. or perhaps it's solely for goal line prep, not sure. don't think we're talking about a drastic change, but our beat writer noted the subtle difference in practice formations.

Sitting Bull
March 29th, 2016, 06:29 AM
Zable updates moving along, expected finish July 1st.

Capacity moving up modestly to 12,700.

Post: #301 (http://www.csnbbs.com/thread-722145-post-13130512.html#pid13130512)
RE: Zable Stadium Renovation
New Photos:

http://www.tribeathletics.com/galleries/?gallery=873

Terry2889
March 29th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Zable updates moving along, expected finish July 1st.

Capacity moving up modestly to 12,700.

Post: #301 (http://www.csnbbs.com/thread-722145-post-13130512.html#pid13130512)
RE: Zable Stadium Renovation
New Photos:

http://www.tribeathletics.com/galleries/?gallery=873

Looking good. are they renovating the away side as well? I always thought it was weird how that side was divided in the middle.

Sitting Bull
March 29th, 2016, 01:32 PM
I'm not certain the extent on the East side - though believe concessions, rest rooms, etc., will all be updated.

Afraid the hole in the middle will remain. At this point, it's almost like a landmark. I still don't know what they use the old pressbox there for - seems like you could create some very nice suites there. The Presidents box sits just below - not sure if that stays or moves to the West side.

The West side, in addition to the upper deck, pressbox and suites, all rows in the lower deck will have handrails, new seats, etc.

Terry2889
March 29th, 2016, 06:27 PM
Sounds awesome. I really wish we could both remove the damn tracks but what are you gonna do?

UNHWildcat18
March 29th, 2016, 06:46 PM
I'm not certain the extent on the East side - though believe concessions, rest rooms, etc., will all be updated.

Afraid the hole in the middle will remain. At this point, it's almost like a landmark. I still don't know what they use the old pressbox there for - seems like you could create some very nice suites there. The Presidents box sits just below - not sure if that stays or moves to the West side.

The West side, in addition to the upper deck, pressbox and suites, all rows in the lower deck will have handrails, new seats, etc.

Funny UNH is supposed to still renovate the current homeside as well, willing to bet a few bucks they don't. Good to hear Zable is taking shape though!

Catsfan90
March 29th, 2016, 07:48 PM
Funny UNH is supposed to still renovate the current homeside as well, willing to bet a few bucks they don't. Good to hear Zable is taking shape though!
As long as the old press box is taken down im happy.

ebirToG
March 31st, 2016, 07:37 AM

Just kinda interesting from Wikipedia (explains the hole in the middle) - The Stadium at Cary Field was constructed in 1935 at a cost of $138,395 under a grant from President Franklin D. Roosevelt (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_D._Roosevelt)'s Public Works Administration (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Works_Administration). The namesakes of the stadium are Walter (W&M class of 1937) and Betty Zable (class of 1940), who made a $10 million contribution to William & Mary in 1990, adding the Zable moniker to the existing Cary Field. The construction of the stadium is distinct in that the primary entrance to the stadium is at the 50 yard line on one side, eliminating prime midfield seating locations. In order to secure the stadium, college officials had it designed for agriculture expositions with a cattle entrance at midfield. No expositions, however, were ever held, but the midfield seats remained lost.The first football game played at the stadium was the 1935 season opener (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1935_William_%26_Mary_Indians_football_team), a 0-0 tie against the University of Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Virginia). Zable himself played in the game.

Terry2889
March 31st, 2016, 07:19 PM
Just kinda interesting from Wikipedia (explains the hole in the middle) - The Stadium at Cary Field was constructed in 1935 at a cost of $138,395 under a grant from President Franklin D. Roosevelt (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_D._Roosevelt)'s Public Works Administration (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Works_Administration). The namesakes of the stadium are Walter (W&M class of 1937) and Betty Zable (class of 1940), who made a $10 million contribution to William & Mary in 1990, adding the Zable moniker to the existing Cary Field. The construction of the stadium is distinct in that the primary entrance to the stadium is at the 50 yard line on one side, eliminating prime midfield seating locations. In order to secure the stadium, college officials had it designed for agriculture expositions with a cattle entrance at midfield. No expositions, however, were ever held, but the midfield seats remained lost.The first football game played at the stadium was the 1935 season opener (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1935_William_%26_Mary_Indians_football_team), a 0-0 tie against the University of Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Virginia). Zable himself played in the game.

The team should bust through the banner behind a herd of cattle before each game!!! Well, UNH has a lopsided away side because we anticipate a future completion of an athletics center and weight room.... I'd count on cows at Zable before I'd count on that getting done!

HailSzczur
April 6th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Once the parade ends Friday, it's on to football season for this Cat!!! I got a good picture of the progress on the West Endzone project at the welcome back rally yesterday. Other than that I've been 100% out of the loop with football since about Christmas time.

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 8th, 2016, 09:55 PM
Is the Zable expansion expected to be done by the opener?

Name to remember for the Spiders: Jay Palmer. Darkhorse candidate to lead the league in touchdowns this fall.

Tribe4SF
April 9th, 2016, 06:56 AM
Is the Zable expansion expected to be done by the opener?

Name to remember for the Spiders: Jay Palmer. Darkhorse candidate to lead the league in touchdowns this fall.

Renovation scheduled to be complete by July 1. New turf being installed as well. New building adjacent to the visitors section will have concessions and bathrooms.

RootinFerDukes
April 9th, 2016, 11:46 AM
it does make me happy to see the CAA upgrade and invest in its facilities. hopefully the fans will take notice and start coming out in respectable numbers. we really can be a local force in college football.

Gangtackle11
April 18th, 2016, 08:03 AM
Villanova is the only CAA team not to have an "official" spring game, but yesterday they ran live scrimmage for 50+ plays.

I'd have to say the defense won the battle if they were keeping score. Appears that the defense will continue to be the strength of the team for a 2nd year running.

Offense is a work in progress with a lot of starters out healing injuries. Summer camp will be the tell whether Villanova has enough on that side of the ball to compete at the top of the CAA or will just be around .500 ball club.

Given the reports of the Delaware defense being a potential monster we could be looking at 2-0 game down in New-ark this season!!!

Players to watch:
Offense: Co-Offensive CAA rookie of the year Bednarczyk QB & Slot Jarrett McClenton. Return from injury OT Brad Seaton

Defense: NFL prospect Kpassanon DE & All- CAA returnees LB Calitro, Reeves & Ceneus at the Corners.

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 18th, 2016, 08:57 PM
How do the offensive and defensive lines shape up for Nova this fall?

bluehenbillk
April 19th, 2016, 07:57 AM
Villanova is the only CAA team not to have an "official" spring game, but yesterday they ran live scrimmage for 50+ plays.

I'd have to say the defense won the battle if they were keeping score. Appears that the defense will continue to be the strength of the team for a 2nd year running.

Offense is a work in progress with a lot of starters out healing injuries. Summer camp will be the tell whether Villanova has enough on that side of the ball to compete at the top of the CAA or will just be around .500 ball club.

Given the reports of the Delaware defense being a potential monster we could be looking at 2-0 game down in New-ark this season!!!

Players to watch:
Offense: Co-Offensive CAA rookie of the year Bednarczyk QB & Slot Jarrett McClenton. Return from injury OT Brad Seaton

Defense: NFL prospect Kpassanon DE & All- CAA returnees LB Calitro, Reeves & Ceneus at the Corners.

I don't know about calling Delaware's defense a monster, but they will definitely be improved in their back 7. The question mark for the Hens D will be their DL, which lost 3 players from their rotation, they'll be replaced with younger & less-tested linemen.

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 20th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Anybody know what to expect from Towson this fall? Back on the upswing?

bluehenbillk
April 21st, 2016, 07:40 AM
Towson has the Oregon QB transfer, I'd imagine they'd be better than last season. Not a contender though.

Gangtackle11
April 21st, 2016, 10:23 AM
Towson has the Oregon QB transfer, I'd imagine they'd be better than last season. Not a contender though.

I see it differently. A contender for sure if Oregon QB is up to snuff. Big & experienced offensive line, very good to great RB in Victor, and an aggressive defense that is coming on. The QB spot gets answered & this team will be in the playoffs from what I have seen.

Gangtackle11
April 21st, 2016, 10:27 AM
Richmond is the offseason leader with William & Mary right there.

Towson, JMU, Villanova, & UNH are too close to call. Delaware can leap over any of this next tier.

I'd say Stony Brook is the best of the rest while Maine, Albany, Rhode Island, & Elon jockey for the bottom spots.

Just my early take reading up on the spring stories on the CAA.

Gangtackle11
April 21st, 2016, 10:29 AM
A nice video from Villanova Football:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyPxKr-up9_xn7eGHik51-Bh29-4_B2c5l3qzKMGw-Mx9ov9k0_keX1o1vmPmn0oE1zzU1iLCtjpZmIkdE9OhgHLdo5V Rao0g&time_continue=116&v=svELwulBmAg

RootinFerDukes
April 21st, 2016, 11:45 AM
I see it differently. A contender for sure if Oregon QB is up to snuff. Big & experienced offensive line, very good to great RB in Victor, and an aggressive defense that is coming on. The QB spot gets answered & this team will be in the playoffs from what I have seen.

The Oregon transfer QB never saw the field much. He's an unproven entity id say.

MR. CHICKEN
April 21st, 2016, 12:34 PM
The Oregon transfer QB never saw the field much. He's an unproven entity id say.

...HE'LL BE UH STAR........'CAUSE.......HE'S NOW IN...DUH SLOWER/LOWER.....CAA.....PER DUH VALLEY BOYS...(CLENZ'S GANG)....STILL SCRATCHIN' MAH CHIN....AS TA HOW RICHMOND HUNG DUH L....ON NORMAL.....xdontknowx.....AWK!

bluehenbillk
April 21st, 2016, 03:00 PM

Towson, JMU, Villanova, & UNH are too close to call. Delaware can leap over any of this next tier.

I'd say Stony Brook is the best of the rest while Maine, Albany, Rhode Island, & Elon jockey for the bottom spots.

I don't disagree that much - Richmond is the clear-cut favorite in my eye.

I'd knock W&M down a peg - teams should be able to run the ball on them - they have issues with their front 7, just see the posters on their board for that.

I'd move UNH down & group them with Delaware, Maine & Stony Brook.

caribbeanhen
April 21st, 2016, 03:51 PM
...HE'LL BE UH STAR........'CAUSE.......HE'S NOW IN...DUH SLOWER/LOWER.....CAA.....PER DUH VALLEY BOYS...(CLENZ'S GANG)....STILL SCRATCHIN' MAH CHIN....AS TA HOW RICHMOND HUNG DUH L....ON NORMAL.....xdontknowx.....AWK!

Well said Mr. Chicken, I'm of the same opinion of the Valley crowd

etiger
April 21st, 2016, 04:45 PM
Towson finished 7-4 last year with a makeshift OL. All of the injured OL are back. We have depth at OL. We will be able to Pound-the-Rock. Then when defense puts 9 men in the box, we go over top with our Oregon QB transfer. Defense was very good last year, and should be even better this year. Towson will be at the top of the league!

Gangtackle11
April 21st, 2016, 05:46 PM
Towson finished 7-4 last year with a makeshift OL. All of the injured OL are back. We have depth at OL. We will be able to Pound-the-Rock. Then when defense puts 9 men in the box, we go over top with our Oregon QB transfer. Defense was very good last year, and should be even better this year. Towson will be at the top of the league!

Towson will be tough. We got them week 3 for parents weekend. Tough game for sure.

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 21st, 2016, 09:23 PM

Towson and Villanova are the 2 teams most capable of making a big jump, IMO. I'm glad we get both of them here.

caribbeanhen
April 22nd, 2016, 08:36 PM
Delaware still has no QB and the receivers are so bad that last years true freshman starting CB is running with the WR's now, Coach said it's not a permanent move but he just wasn't going to get any better practicing against our receiver core....

MR. CHICKEN
April 23rd, 2016, 09:32 AM
Delaware still has no QB and the receivers are so bad that last years true freshman starting CB is running with the WR's now, Coach said it's not a permanent move but he just wasn't going to get any better practicing against our receiver core....

.....YEAH BEANER........DELAWARE OWN-LAH HAD 2 TD'S RECEPTIONS LAST YEAR.....ONE BAH RANDOLPH...UH RB......TRE BROWN SNARED DUH UTTER...AMONGST HIS WHOPPIN' 68 TOTAL YDS..IN RECEPTS.....ADDERLY.....GRABBED DUH PIGGY IN PRACTICE....FO' 6.....LIKE IT WAS PRINCE'S LAST AUTOGRAPH........BUT OWN-LAH CAUSE HE WASN'T ON DUH DEFENSIVE SIDE UH SCRIMMAGE......TA BREAK IT UP.......SUPPOSEDLAH BROCK...TOLD SOME PECKERHEADS...IN HIS MEETIN'....DAT MALCOM BROWN....WOODAH...WENT OFFENSE TOO....IFIN' HE WUDDN'T NURSIN'..............NO-WAY OURAH FLOCK UH WR'S...IMPROVE TA DUH POINT....UH...ACCEPTABLE....CHERRY...YES......BUT HE WAS DECENT....WHEN SURROUNDED BAH OTHERAH STARTERS....WHEN HE WAS YOUNG........AH FEEL LIKE.....UH SUNDAY DINNER.......ON UH FLATBACK SEMI.........HEADIN' DOWN-STATE............xeekx.......BROCK!

caribbeanhen
April 24th, 2016, 10:03 AM
.....YEAH BEANER........DELAWARE OWN-LAH HAD 2 TD'S RECEPTIONS LAST YEAR.....ONE BAH RANDOLPH...UH RB......TRE BROWN SNARED DUH UTTER...AMONGST HIS WHOPPIN' 68 TOTAL YDS..IN RECEPTS.....ADDERLY.....GRABBED DUH PIGGY IN PRACTICE....FO' 6.....LIKE IT WAS PRINCE'S LAST AUTOGRAPH........BUT OWN-LAH CAUSE HE WASN'T ON DUH DEFENSIVE SIDE UH SCRIMMAGE......TA BREAK IT UP.......SUPPOSEDLAH BROCK...TOLD SOME PECKERHEADS...IN HIS MEETIN'....DAT MALCOM BROWN....WOODAH...WENT OFFENSE TOO....IFIN' HE WUDDN'T NURSIN'..............NO-WAY OURAH FLOCK UH WR'S...IMPROVE TA DUH POINT....UH...ACCEPTABLE....CHERRY...YES......BUT HE WAS DECENT....WHEN SURROUNDED BAH OTHERAH STARTERS....WHEN HE WAS YOUNG........AH FEEL LIKE.....UH SUNDAY DINNER.......ON UH FLATBACK SEMI.........HEADIN' DOWN-STATE............xeekx.......BROCK!

and Mr. Chicken, don't forget that one of the two TD passes was chucked up like a Billy Kilmer by a WR, Cherry threw that pass to Randolph and we was lucky it wasn't intercepted

Gangtackle11
April 25th, 2016, 06:57 PM
Coach Talley talks about Villanova's spring football:

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/04/14/villanova-football-spring-workouts/

Gangtackle11
April 26th, 2016, 09:08 AM
West End Zone project progressing. Will house football offices, support staff, meeting rooms, & The Howie Long Strength & Conditioning Center. Video Scoreboard also,

https://twitter.com/coachferrantevu/status/724773858084028416

Tribe4SF
April 26th, 2016, 09:56 AM
New FieldTurf going into Zable Stadium.

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r798/Tribe4SF/zable%204-26-16_zpspuayxqxb.jpg

MR. CHICKEN
April 26th, 2016, 11:22 AM
....SHOOD INSTALL UH BIG TEE-PEE......TOTEM POLE.......OR UH CASINO......IN ONE END-ZONE.........AWK!

RootinFerDukes
April 26th, 2016, 11:54 AM
....SHOOD INSTALL UH BIG TEE-PEE......TOTEM POLE.......OR UH CASINO......IN ONE END-ZONE.........AWK!

They changed their name to tribe from Indians way back when to be PC. It would be funny to see though.

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 26th, 2016, 08:55 PM
New FieldTurf going into Zable Stadium.

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r798/Tribe4SF/zable%204-26-16_zpspuayxqxb.jpg

I saw the progress when i was down there over Easter. It looks great.

Any scuttlebutt on the start time of our game down there?

Mattymc727
April 27th, 2016, 06:34 AM
UNH players help a state trooper

http://unhwildcats.com/news/2016/4/26/unh-insider-football-wildcats-step-up-to-help-trooper-in-need.aspx

Slow off-season in Durham...Stadium is coming along though.

R3TRO
April 27th, 2016, 11:59 PM
http://youtu.be/WAs7j9CjVsw

Tribe4SF
April 28th, 2016, 05:49 AM
I saw the progress when i was down there over Easter. It looks great.

Any scuttlebutt on the start time of our game down there?

Probably set by TV.

bluehenbillk
April 28th, 2016, 07:27 AM
http://youtu.be/WAs7j9CjVsw

That's pretty cool - we got a drone for Xmas that delivers those kind of shots.

jmufan999
May 24th, 2016, 07:57 AM
it's been almost a month since someone posted in this thread. crazy.

JMU was rumored to be getting QB Michael Birdsong to transfer BACK to JMU (he lost the job to Vad Lee in '14 and transferred to Marshall). That won't happen now as he is going to Tennessee Tech. a lot of JMU fans were against him coming back, which I found totally insane. Some of these fans are convinced Schor can play, and I'm telling you now, he can't. He could MAYBE lead us to the playoffs, but a deep run with him isn't happening. Such a talented team to have such a big weakness at the most important position, it's a shame. Birdsong isn't perfect but he would have been a clear upgrade.

bluehenbillk
May 24th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Delaware had one of the worst offensive showings in school history last fall. Did we bring in any help at QB?? At WR?? How about the OL?? Nope, zip, zilch are the answers. There is always the start of summer session on June 6 to hold out hope for but as there hasn't even been a rumor, look for another disappointing fall in Newark.

MRuler
May 24th, 2016, 09:00 AM
As for Albany, we "should" be much improved. Last years team was extremely young and we sustained many key injuries. Like last year Albany still has a big question mark at the QB position. Cook, the Penn State transfer has not impressed and his backup (Sussman I believe) may end up being the starter. That should be resolved in camp. Albany has pretty much everyone back on offense. Not sure if that's a good thing coming off a 3-8 season (just kidding Great Dane fans) The experience will be the O Line. They are bigger and have played together for 2 years. They are averaging around 295lbs this year. We have a good stable of backs but the backups are unproven and our "star" TE who was hurt last year returns. His backup, last years starter also is back so hopefully TE will be a positive for us. At receiver we lost Gontarek last year to disciplinary problems but are loaded at the position.

On D, Albany will be much improved. They have gotten bigger up front, have a great stable of LB's and have several key FBS transfers as well as a DB from Coffeyville CC. The Coffeyville CC DB and the LB who transferred in from Wyoming should both be immediate starters.

Outlook: I was shocked they only had 3 wins last year. I realize youth and injuries were key but that's not an excuse for a 3 win season. I know they bottomed out against Holy Cross and I would expect a payback game this year. I could see/hope a six win season. I think we are still a year, maybe two from being a very strong team in the CAA. The schedule is more favorable this year. With the exception of Buffalo, Richmond, Villanova( I know they aren't the same team) and probably New Hampshire (see Villanova) everyone else can be beaten. Time will tell.

Gangtackle11
May 24th, 2016, 04:55 PM
[/QUOTE] The schedule is more favorable this year. With the exception of Buffalo, Richmond, Villanova( I know they aren't the same team) and probably New Hampshire (see Villanova) everyone else can be beaten. Time will tell.[/QUOTE]

Villanova is pretty much the team you saw @ Albany last season sans MLB Cherry & go to WR Kevin Gulyas. Robertson was already done & Zach Bednarcyzk was a perfect 12-12 against the Danes.

The offensive line will welcome back from injury their massive tackles Brad Seaton (6'8" 315lbs.) & soph. Ethan Greenidge (6'4" 335lbs.)

The defense should be strong again. Hard to not miss AA Cherry, but the LB corps are in good hands with All-CAA performer Austin Calitro leading a deep & talented group.

Both CBs Jason Ceneus & Mailk Reeves are All-CAA perfomers and will be a dynamic duo.

Tanoh Kpassagnon DE (6'7" 285lbs.) will be a preseason AA.

The Cats were 4-4 with Bednarczyk at the helm in 2015 and it's not much of a boast to say they will challenge for a playoff spot and may line up directly behind Richmond in the final standings.

Time will tell.

Terry2889
May 25th, 2016, 07:47 AM
The schedule is more favorable this year. With the exception of Buffalo, Richmond, Villanova( I know they aren't the same team) and probably New Hampshire (see Villanova) everyone else can be beaten. Time will tell.[/QUOTE]

Villanova is pretty much the team you saw @ Albany last season sans MLB Cherry & go to WR Kevin Gulyas. Robertson was already done & Zach Bednarcyzk was a perfect 12-12 against the Danes.

The offensive line will welcome back from injury their massive tackles Brad Seaton (6'8" 315lbs.) & soph. Ethan Greenidge (6'4" 335lbs.)

The defense should be strong again. Hard to not miss AA Cherry, but the LB corps are in good hands with All-CAA performer Austin Calitro leading a deep & talented group.

Both CBs Jason Ceneus & Mailk Reeves are All-CAA perfomers and will be a dynamic duo.

Tanoh Kpassagnon DE (6'7" 285lbs.) will be a preseason AA.

The Cats were 4-4 with Bednarczyk at the helm in 2015 and it's not much of a boast to say they will challenge for a playoff spot and may line up directly behind Richmond in the final standings.

Time will tell.[/QUOTE]

Calitro is awesome. He's one of those kids that seem to be around for eight years.

jmufan999
May 25th, 2016, 12:11 PM
good stuff. i'd put Richmond as a very slight favorite to win the CAA. any thoughts? just think the QB is rock solid if he doesn't play like he did against UNH. I think we'll see fewer awful games like that from him this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluehenbillk
May 25th, 2016, 01:40 PM
OK, spring practices are complete, it's prediction time:

1- Richmond
2- James Madison
3- Villanova
4- Towson
5- William & Mary
6- New Hampshire
7- Delaware
8- Stony Brook
9- Maine
10- Albany
11- Rhode Island
12- Elon

Agree? Disagree? Let's see yours

etiger
May 25th, 2016, 04:19 PM
1- Towson
2- Richmond
3- JMU
4- Villanova
5- William & Mary
6- New Hampshire
7- Stony Brook
8- Delaware
9- Maine
10- Albany
11- Elon
12- Rhode Island
I know I am being a bit of a Homer, but with the Transfer QB from Oregon, and our running game, I really think Towson will be hard to beat. Our D will be very tough too. Reminds me of the 2013 team that went to the NC.

Gangtackle11
May 25th, 2016, 05:24 PM
1- Towson
2- Richmond
3- JMU
4- Villanova
5- William & Mary
6- New Hampshire
7- Stony Brook
8- Delaware
9- Maine
10- Albany
11- Elon
12- Rhode Island
I know I am being a bit of a Homer, but with the Transfer QB from Oregon, and our running game, I really think Towson will be hard to beat. Our D will be very tough too. Reminds me of the 2013 team that went to the NC.

As long as your Oregon transfer QB is for real. I agree Towson would be tough for sure then.

Gangtackle11
May 25th, 2016, 06:37 PM
Predicted CAA standings:
Overall (conf.)
1. Richmond 9-2 (7-1)
2. Towson 8-3 (6-2)
3. Villanova 8-3 (6-2)
4. New Hampshire 8-3 (6-2)
5. JMU 7-4 (5-3)
6. William & Mary 7-4 (5-3)
7. Albany 5-6 (4-4)
8. Delaware 4-7 (2-6)
9. Stony Brook 4-7 (2-6)
10. Rhode Island 3-8 (2-6)
11. Maine 3-8 (2-6)
12. Elon 3-8 (1-7)

jmufan999
May 28th, 2016, 03:57 PM
lots of love for JMU. feels like a 7-4 team to me.

RootinFerDukes
May 29th, 2016, 07:37 AM
lots of love for JMU. feels like a 7-4 team to me.

Thankfully we have a very weak schedule that will favor Houston in his first year.

KPSUL
May 29th, 2016, 05:32 PM
Thankfully we have a very weak schedule that will favor Houston in his first year.

Very weak schedule? UNH, Richmond, Maine and Villanova all on the road? You also play a solid FBS opponent. The OOC FCS looks like JMU's normal early season tune-up, but you may have the toughest conference schedule.

RootinFerDukes
May 30th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Very weak schedule? UNH, Richmond, Maine and Villanova all on the road? You also play a solid FBS opponent. The OOC FCS looks like JMU's normal early season tune-up, but you may have the toughest conference schedule.

We have both uri and Elon in the same year. We replace a decent patriot team in Lehigh with yet another cupcake game.
We then get to miss three teams trending upwards in Towson, Albany and stony brook.
It's one of the weakest schedules I can remember us having in a long time.
4 wins all but guaranteed, two more probable ones, then even if we only take 2 of our five toughest games, were 8-3 and looking at the playoffs.

KPSUL
May 30th, 2016, 09:09 AM
We have both uri and Elon in the same year. We replace a decent patriot team in Lehigh with yet another cupcake game.
We then get to miss three teams trending upwards in Towson, Albany and stony brook.
It's one of the weakest schedules I can remember us having in a long time.
4 wins all but guaranteed, two more probable ones, then even if we only take 2 of our five toughest games, were 8-3 and looking at the playoffs.

1 - 3 against the CAA teams JMU plays on the road, 2 - 0 OOC, 3 - 1 against CAA at home and a loss to UNC = 6 - 5 for the season.

Gangtackle11
May 30th, 2016, 09:52 AM
I have JMU @ 7-4 with road losses to UNC, UNH, Richmond, & Villanova.

I like UNH schedule the best. I know some think they are in a rebuild year, but if they have anything left in the tank (I do) they will have a good shot at 8 wins.
They miss Villanova, Delaware, & Richmond. They have W&M, JMU, Albany, & SB at home. Playing Towson, Elon, Rhody, & Maine on the road.

RootinFerDukes
May 30th, 2016, 10:31 AM
1 - 3 against the CAA teams JMU plays on the road, 2 - 0 OOC, 3 - 1 against CAA at home and a loss to UNC = 6 - 5 for the season.

2 Fcs ooc plus Elon and uri are all very likely wins. 4 wins.
Maine and Delaware are probable wins. 2 wins.
I said if we split the four toughest Fcs opponents we'd still have 8 wins. I never said we'd go 1-3 against those teams, but anything is possible.

RootinFerDukes
May 30th, 2016, 10:34 AM

I like UNH schedule the best. I know some think they are in a rebuild year, but if they have anything left in the tank (I do) they will have a good shot at 8 wins.
They miss Villanova, Delaware, & Richmond. They have W&M, JMU, Albany, & SB at home. Playing Towson, Elon, Rhody, & Maine on the road.

Wait they get to miss VU UD and UR? I'm just going to not say anything...

Mattymc727
May 30th, 2016, 10:56 AM
UNH has a very easy schedule. We are pretty certain SDSU is a loss but considering how well UNH plays at home anything is possible after that

Terry2889
May 30th, 2016, 12:28 PM
UNH has a very easy schedule. We are pretty certain SDSU is a loss but considering how well UNH plays at home anything is possible after that

Easy is an understatement!! I was just looking at it and if we can beat William and Mary and JMU at home (We should at least be able to split) I think your looking at 9-2 (I'm still not convinced Towson is very good)

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 30th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Wait they get to miss VU UD and UR? I'm just going to not say anything...

Without divisions and a true three and three rotation from the other division, there has been no rhyme or reason to CAA scheduling in recent years. After having a home and home with Elon the past two seasons, I didn't expect them to be back on the schedule this year. After playing W&M eight seasons in a row, I didn't expect them back on the schedule this year. This will be three seasons in a row without a game with Villanova. And I think there are CAA teams that still haven't played Albany, Stony Brook or Elon which is crazy in terms of UA and SBU as this will be their 4th season in the league IIRC.

Until VU, UD or Towson become the 6th team in a Northern Division, will there ever be a predictable rotation for CAA scheduling?

Gangtackle11
May 30th, 2016, 02:15 PM
CAA schedules:
UR:
Home: Towson, Villanova, JMU, Delaware
Away: SB, Albany, Elon, W&M
DNP: Maine, URI, UNH
OOC: @Virginia, Norfolk St., Colgate

Towson
Home: SB, UNH, Elon, W&M
Away: Nova, UR, Delaware, URI
DNP: JMU, Maine, Albany
OOC: @USF, St.Francis, @Dartmouth

UNH:
Home: W&M, JMU, SB, Albany
Away: URI, Elon, Towson, Maine
DNP: Villanova, UR, Delaware
OOC: @San Diego St., Holy Cross, @Dartmouth

Villanova:
Home: Towson, URI, Albany, JMU
Away: Elon, UR, Maine, Delaware
DNP: UNH, SB, W&M
OOC: @Pittsburgh, Lehigh, @Lafayette

JMU:
Home: Delaware, W&M, URI, Elon
Away: Maine, UNH, UR, Villanova
DNP: Towson, SB, Albany
OOC: Morehead State, CCSU, @UNC

W&M:
Home: Elon, Delaware, Maine, UR
Away: UNH, JMU, SB, Towson
DNP: URI, Villanova, Albany
OOC: @NCState, @Hampton, Norfolk State

Delaware:
Home: Maine, SB, Towson, Villanova
Away: JMU, W&M, Albany, Richmond
DNP: URI, UNH, SB
OOC: Delaware St., @Lafayette, @Wake Forest

Stony Brook:
Home: Richmond, URI, W&M, Maine
Away: Towson, Delaware, UNH, Albany
DNP: Villanova, JMU, Elon
OOC: North Dakota, @Temple, Sacred Heart

Albany:
Home: UR, Elon, Delaware, SB
Away: URI, Maine, Villanova, UNH
DNP: Towson, JMU, W&M
OOC: @Buffalo, Holy Cross, St.Francis

Maine:
Home: JMU, Albany, Villanova, UNH
Away: Delaware, URI, W&M, SB
DNP: Towson, Elon, UR
OOC: @UConn, @Toledo, Bryant

Rhode Island:
Home: Albany, UNH, Maine, Towson
Away: Villanova, SB, JMU, Elon
DNP: W&M, UR, Delaware
OOC: @Kansas, @Harvard, Brown

Elon:
Home: Villanova, UNH, Richmond, URI
Away: W&M, Albany, Towson, JMU
DNP: Delaware, SB, Maine
OOC: Gardner-Webb, @Charlotte, Fayetteville St.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 30th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Easy is an understatement!! I was just looking at it and if we can beat William and Mary and JMU at home (We should at least be able to split) I think your looking at 9-2 (I'm still not convinced Towson is very good)

I don't see UNH's schedule as easy by any means. They have likely one sure loss in the OOC with their FBS game and two other tricky tilts with Holy Cross and @ Dartmouth. Even their conference slate is tough with JMU, W&M and roadies at Towson and rival Maine. I think 8-3 would be a damn good season.

RootinFerDukes
May 30th, 2016, 03:33 PM
I don't agree on a north and south division because the north is traditionally not as strong and teams like unh and maine will feast on a regular rotation of URI, UA and SB. alternatively, if you really rotate, then southern schools jmu, ur, wm, ud and vu shouldn't have to consistently see ALL of each other, every season. I know our fans will not like to not see those other four on our schedule every single year, but i do think it would be the "fairest" to rotate.

Now that it appears conference membership has settled down, why can't we establish a conference rotation that makes sure we don't go too long without seeing each other both home and away but doesn't allow some teams to have significantly easier CAA schedules than others? I guess we're that hung up on UR and WM, UD and VU and UM and UNH MUST play each other EVERY year?

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 30th, 2016, 08:00 PM
I guess we're that hung up on UR and WM, UD and VU and UM and UNH MUST play each other EVERY year?

If you're asking if the oldest continually played rivalry in the south should be skipped over periodically out of "scheduling fairness", yes, we are "that hung up".

Gangtackle11
May 30th, 2016, 08:06 PM
I don't agree on a north and south division because the north is traditionally not as strong and teams like unh and maine will feast on a regular rotation of URI, UA and SB. alternatively, if you really rotate, then southern schools jmu, ur, wm, ud and vu shouldn't have to consistently see ALL of each other, every season. I know our fans will not like to not see those other four on our schedule every single year, but i do think it would be the "fairest" to rotate.

Now that it appears conference membership has settled down, why can't we establish a conference rotation that makes sure we don't go too long without seeing each other both home and away but doesn't allow some teams to have significantly easier CAA schedules than others? I guess we're that hung up on UR and WM, UD and VU and UM and UNH MUST play each other EVERY year?

Yep. No way any of those rivalries will or should go away.

I'd be in favor of north/south with 3 conference cross over games based on records. Only Villanova/Delaware would be a north/south game needed to be factored in the cross over games no matter the records. It's cyclical.

North:
Maine
Rhode Island
UNH
Stony Brook
Villanova
Albany

South:
Delaware
Towson
Richmond
W&M
JMU
Elon

kdinva
May 30th, 2016, 08:07 PM
......we're that hung up on UR and WM, UD and VU and UM and UNH MUST play each other EVERY year?

These are long standing, regional/"Neighborhood" rivalries that NEVER should be interrupted.....don't F__ with them....

RootinFerDukes
May 31st, 2016, 06:21 AM
My point is that one of those rivalries WILL be interrupted on a yearly basis, UD and VU. Even if we have divisions, there's no way without saying F geography that they won't be splitting them up into two divisions.
I'm sure they'd send Towson to the north and then it'll really be unbalanced competitively.

Mattymc727
May 31st, 2016, 08:09 AM
Fun little video to close out the old Cowell era. Lot of CAA victories have piled up here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVZYkDq4AuA

Terry2889
May 31st, 2016, 09:45 AM
Fun little video to close out the old Cowell era. Lot of CAA victories have piled up here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVZYkDq4AuA

Wish they had some stuff on the 90's in there. Some David Gamble, Dwayne Sabb, Jerry Azumah highlights would have been awesome.

Gangtackle11
May 31st, 2016, 10:17 AM
My point is that one of those rivalries WILL be interrupted on a yearly basis, UD and VU. Even if we have divisions, there's no way without saying F geography that they won't be splitting them up into two divisions.
I'm sure they'd send Towson to the north and then it'll really be unbalanced competitively.

Not so sure they can't just say 1 of the 3 intradivision games is always Nova/UD.

5 in-division & 3 out. Can leave it a 12 team league & play the 5 closest every season & rotate 3 further away.

The combinations are endless. What doesn't make sense is how it's done now.

RootinFerDukes
May 31st, 2016, 11:38 AM
I agree. I just want to see every team at least every other year and host them every fourth year. Right now that isn't happening. Unh hasn't been to Harrisonburg since 2010 I believe.

UNHWildcat18
May 31st, 2016, 11:54 AM

You keep talking about competitiveness, so what happens when Albany and SBU get really good and UD/JMU goes sub 500 for a few seasons? I get the whole oh northern teams are worse but that's just a trend that won't last forever. TU dominated a few years ago and now are a doormat.

Nova09
May 31st, 2016, 01:16 PM

The south was a ridiculously strong division before and 4 of the teams won national championships in the 2000s, so I wouldn't get too worked up about competitive imbalance. Sure it sucks years like 08 where we got sent unfairly early to you but if the end result is prepared for deep playoff runs I'll take it.

KPSUL
May 31st, 2016, 04:06 PM

I have to agree with you on UNH 2016, I don't think we could have a more favorable CAA schedule. Two of our three toughest conference opponents we get at home, JMU and W&M. Towson away may be a tough matchup for us. I don't think too many UNH fans would consider this a rebuilding year. 2015 was unquestionably one. IMO we will enter the season in pretty solid shape in most areas, including RBs, WR, LBs and DBs. We have two very good DEs returning but the biggest question mark on defense is DT. On offense it is the QB position. We have a very solid kick return game.

I think your 8-3 prediction is as good as any; however, I don't think we'd get there playing Richmond's or JMU's schedule.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 31st, 2016, 10:20 PM
These are long standing, regional/"Neighborhood" rivalries that NEVER should be interrupted.....don't F__ with them....

While not as longstanding as W&M-UR, UNH-Maine or Nova-UD, Stony Brook-Albany is another rivalry that has to be played every year.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 31st, 2016, 10:28 PM
Wish they had some stuff on the 90's in there. Some David Gamble, Dwayne Sabb, Jerry Azumah highlights would have been awesome.

Also should have included UNH's first ever win over Dartmouth, 10-9, on 9/29/73 thanks to a 100+ yard kickoff return as well as the UNH 14-11 win over UMass on 11/15/75 to clinch the Yankee Conference AQ and first ever playoff berth (D-II).

KPSUL
June 2nd, 2016, 12:19 PM
I don't see UNH's schedule as easy by any means. They have likely one sure loss in the OOC with their FBS game and two other tricky tilts with Holy Cross and @ Dartmouth. Even their conference slate is tough with JMU, W&M and roadies at Towson and rival Maine. I think 8-3 would be a damn good season.

I'm more concerned about Holy Cross this season than Dartmouth; however Coach McDonnell will have the boys fired up for the home opener at the new stadium as well as after likely having been manhandled by a tough San Diego State the week prior. Dartmouth has a lot of rebuilding to do, particularly on offense and they will be playing their season opener while UNH will have played two. 8-3 is a good call with losses to SDSU and two conference opponents.

TribeNomad1
June 11th, 2016, 09:35 AM
The CAA should be stronger this year. Time will tell.

MR. CHICKEN
June 13th, 2016, 07:33 AM
The CAA should be stronger this year. Time will tell.

.......HERE'S UH [email protected] PREDICTIONS..............AS WAS POSTED....ON GOHENS..........AWK!

http://bilofootball.blogspot.com/2016/06/colonial-athletic-association-2016.html?m=1

Terry2889
June 13th, 2016, 08:04 AM
.......HERE'S UH [email protected] PREDICTIONS..............AS WAS POSTED....ON GOHENS..........AWK!

http://bilofootball.blogspot.com/2016/06/colonial-athletic-association-2016.html?m=1

Conservative outlook for each team. Not bad.

RundaPower
June 13th, 2016, 03:43 PM
Big coho choo coming your way from Baltimore.

KPSUL
June 13th, 2016, 05:15 PM
Looks like they just rounded up all the usual suspects! I think we are going to see some real surprises in the CAA this season. I don't know exactly who or what, but I don't see it as business as usual as this predicted finish implies.

Don't know how they concluded UNH has one of the strongest defensive line in FCS since both starting DT were seniors last season and have graduated. We do have experienced LB and DB corps and solid, returning starters at DE.

DallasSpider
June 13th, 2016, 05:24 PM
I think the top of the CAA should be very strong and agree that Albany (two year removed from a 7-5 season?) and Elon should be stronger, however, I truly have no idea where Rhode Island football can go from its current state. Outside of RB Cooper I don't see any hope. I am thrilled we avoid New Hampshire, they have been a stick in our side for quite a while. I also am looking forward to seeing Bill and Mary's exact same offense as last year against UR's exact same defense. If it has as much firepower and has improved as much as W&M posters make it seem it should be interesting. I'm still thinking UR handles it thoroughly though, just based off the past couple results. Towson should be improved, JMU's new coaching staff seems great on paper, and the growth of the Nova QB combined with excitement from Coach Talley's soon to be retirement should make Nova fun to follow. I think it should be a strong CAA.

Hanca
June 16th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Truly believe UR is not the power some believe. Rocco is excellent HC but tougher schedule, improved returning opponents, loss of stud running back and backup, 2 new coordinators, departure of all conference kicker give rise to far too many questions to be preseason top 5.

caribbeanhen
June 16th, 2016, 10:05 PM
I think the top of the CAA should be very strong and agree that Albany (two year removed from a 7-5 season?) and Elon should be stronger, however, I truly have no idea where Rhode Island football can go from its current state. Outside of RB Cooper I don't see any hope. I am thrilled we avoid New Hampshire, they have been a stick in our side for quite a while. I also am looking forward to seeing Bill and Mary's exact same offense as last year against UR's exact same defense. If it has as much firepower and has improved as much as W&M posters make it seem it should be interesting. I'm still thinking UR handles it thoroughly though, just based off the past couple results. Towson should be improved, JMU's new coaching staff seems great on paper, and the growth of the Nova QB combined with excitement from Coach Talley's soon to be retirement should make Nova fun to follow. I think it should be a strong CAA.

since you ignored Delaware, get ready for some D coming out of Newark this year, unless they get some receivers that's about all you will see

- - - Updated - - -

since you ignored Delaware, get ready for some D coming out of Newark this year, unless they get some receivers that's about all you will see

Gangtackle11
June 16th, 2016, 10:34 PM
The Blue Hens could easily have the best defense & worst offense in the CAA this season

DallasSpider
June 17th, 2016, 04:33 AM

- - - Updated - - -

I just really don't know what to do with Delaware. A strong D can turn a program completely around but only if the offense can be efficient. I think y'all might have a real solid season but I can also see something around the lines of Stoney Brook's record the past couple seasons. They had a team built similarly and they played many teams very tough, but couldn't score enough and stay on the field long enough to let that defense really take over.

bluehenbillk
June 17th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Most Delaware fans are looking forward to Thanksgiving week this year for a pronounced change in the program's leadership.

caribbeanhen
June 17th, 2016, 05:21 PM
The Blue Hens could easily have the best defense & worst offense in the CAA this season

this is on the money, they do have 4 good RB's to many in fact, Coach Brock has doubled down on stupid going with Walker again, and no help with any talented receivers

MR. CHICKEN
June 19th, 2016, 09:06 AM
.........STICK UH FORK....INTA OURAH ELEVEN PIECE BUCKET.......WE DONE......WOE...AN'....ALAS..........NO CHANGE IN QB/WR.......UD WAS LAST IN ENTIRE FCS....PASSIN'......LEAST WE OWN-LAH WITNESS 5 HOME GAMES.......DIS SEASON.............SAY IT WHIFF ME...."WOE...AN'....ALAS".........xbawlingx....BROCK!

......WANTED......xcoolx.......................... ....AWK!

BigHouseClosedEnd
June 19th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Truly believe UR is not the power some believe. Rocco is excellent HC but tougher schedule, improved returning opponents, loss of stud running back and backup, 2 new coordinators, departure of all conference kicker give rise to far too many questions to be preseason top 5.

I disagree that the schedule is tougher. We get most big tests at home.

Jacobi is definitely a loss but I think we are fine at kicker and the new coordinators are an upgrade, Cosh in particular.

Hanca
June 21st, 2016, 02:51 PM
I disagree that the schedule is tougher. We get most big tests at home.

Jacobi is definitely a loss but I think we are fine at kicker and the new coordinators are an upgrade, Cosh in particular.

Where we play tougher opponents is helpful, but they are still tougher. Not stating our new coordinators are not as good or better, just that there are questions with both of them and a transfer kicker returning from injury.

CenMEBlackBearFan
June 22nd, 2016, 07:31 AM

Have to say most UMaine fans are excited with 29 yr old HC Joe Harasymiak and his new OC Liam Cohen from UMass. Maine's defense should be tough as it has been in the past and with Cohen at OC he says the offense should open things up and picking us 2nd from the bottom is understandable after last yr's disappointing season. Anything below a .500 season will be a major bummer. The new staff is full piss n' vinegar and accepting transfers is a positive decision, only two so far one from Ariz St and another from Temple should be a definite plus. The chance for an above .500 season may lay squarely on the QB Sr. Dan Collins and him having a good yr at the helm.

wmmii
June 22nd, 2016, 09:41 AM
Athlon Sports preseason rankings good for CAA:

UR #4
W&M #13
JMU #14
TU #18
Nova #20

Official Athlon preseason rankings
https://athlonsports.com/college-footbal...op-25-2016 (http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_146660643422215&key=1686da1044273e8a4540f89500b72810&libId=ipqzjgwb01001vmn000DAk6yy3075&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.csnbbs.com%2Fthread-781073-page-2.html&v=1&out=https%3A%2F%2Fathlonsports.com%2Fcollege-football%2Fathlon-sports-fcs-preseason-top-25-2016&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.csnbbs.com%2Fthread-781073-page-3.html&title=2016%20Tribe%20Football&txt=https%3A%2F%2Fathlonsports.com%2Fcollege-footbal...op-25-2016)

ZableNoise
June 22nd, 2016, 07:55 PM
http://caasports.com/news/2016/6/22/FB_0622162910.aspx

Hey did the conference lose its NBCSN contract? I know there's still the regional broadcasts but I was surprised to see nothing nationally.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RootinFerDukes
June 22nd, 2016, 08:18 PM
Nbcsn has been removing college football from its programming for the better part of the last decade when they were known as versus.
They haven't had any fbs games for maybe five years and they removed the Ivy but then brought back some games, relegating most of them to Friday nights in front of small crowds.
It was only a matter of time before that trend came to the CAA. I thought this was the last year of the current contract but still no national games.

The lone high point of this nbcsn deal was the national games. If those are gone for our Fcs product then I say screw NBC and let's get the same espn3 deal the Mvfc has.
Aren't all of their conference games on espn3?

melloware13
June 22nd, 2016, 11:41 PM
ESPN3 would also remove the question of live stream availability throughout the conference. If I recall correctly, Maine's stream is about $10 (which I regretted paying almost immediately during the 62-28 beatdown in 13)

Catsfan90
June 22nd, 2016, 11:55 PM
ESPN3 would also remove the question of live stream availability throughout the conference. If I recall correctly, Maine's stream is about $10 (which I regretted paying almost immediately during the 62-28 beatdown in 13)
I always feel that way about W&M

TribeNomad1
June 25th, 2016, 07:14 AM
I am thinking 'Nova will be a factor this year

Gangtackle11
June 25th, 2016, 09:24 AM
I am thinking 'Nova will be a factor this year

Hopefully. Defense should be among the best in CAA. Offense has several question marks. CAA schedule isn't daunting missing W&M, UNH, Stony Brook. Play Towson & JMU home also.

Cats are under the radar now after the hyped 2015 season disappointed all.

Throw in its Coach Talley's final curtain call & it should add up to a playoff contender.

Can't wait. Heinz Field & Pitt is not far away!!

RootinFerDukes
June 28th, 2016, 09:08 AM
Jmu has added a transfer QB from South Carolina, Connor Mitch. He was a four star recruit out of high school with many P5 offers.
He started two games for the gamecocks before suffering a season ending injury to the hip. I also believe he had shoulder surgery.
He was supposed to compete for the starting job at SC this year.

He has two years of eligibility left and is pursuing a masters degree. I like the QB depth after we lost QB prospect DJ Daniels to the MLB draft and the Toronto blue jays organization.

bluehenbillk
June 28th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Jmu has added a transfer QB from South Carolina, Connor Mitch. He was a four star recruit out of high school with many P5 offers.
He started two games for the gamecocks before suffering a season ending injury to the hip. I also believe he had shoulder surgery.

He has two years of eligibility left and is pursuing a masters degree. I like the QB depth after we lost QB prospect DJ Daniels to the MLB draft and the Toronto blue jays organization.

I saw that W&M landed a nice looking WR prospect yesterday also from the Gamecocks.

KPSUL
June 28th, 2016, 10:15 AM

Could work out well if he's healed up. William and Mary also got a USC (S. Carolina that is) player, receiver Jalen Christian who had been a 4 star recruit out of HS.

Tribe4SF
June 28th, 2016, 03:43 PM
Could work out well if he's healed up. William and Mary also got a USC (S. Carolina that is) player, receiver Jalen Christian who had been a 4 star recruit out of HS.

Christian has four years to play at W&M. Muschamp supported his need to be closer to home. Dynamic athlete who looks like a clone of Tribe's Devonte Dedmon.

caribbeanhen
June 28th, 2016, 05:44 PM
remember when Delaware was known as Transfer U? times have changed as we still don't have a QB or a WR coming off the worst passing offense in FCS....

bluehenbillk
June 29th, 2016, 09:09 AM
remember when Delaware was known as Transfer U? times have changed as we still don't have a QB or a WR coming off the worst passing offense in FCS....

Hopefully that changes next year with the new regime. Part of me is yearning just to do it now & get it over with. What a colossal blunder of a hire.

Gangtackle11
July 6th, 2016, 02:15 PM
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/five-burning-questions-caa-football-2016-fcs-season

RootinFerDukes
July 11th, 2016, 09:23 PM
JMU picks up a WR transfer from Duke, Terrence Alls. He saw very limited play time.

UIWWildthing
July 12th, 2016, 07:05 AM
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/five-burning-questions-caa-football-2016-fcs-season
Towson as a playoff team? I'll take it!

centraljerseycat
July 12th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Hopefully that changes next year with the new regime. Part of me is yearning just to do it now & get it over with. What a colossal blunder of a hire.
5 months away from the return of Kirk Ciarrocca. This time as head coach. As a 'Nova fan I don't relish that.

bluehenbillk
July 12th, 2016, 09:03 AM
5 months away from the return of Kirk Ciarrocca. This time as head coach. As a 'Nova fan I don't relish that.

Haha.

Anthony215
July 14th, 2016, 03:10 PM
Did Delaware find any transfer WR's or add any in recruiting this offseason who can come in immediately and contribute. I see their 2015 signee Samir Bullock has signed with D2 Indiana (Pa) after prepping last year at a school in Massachusetts. He could've played in the slot as a speedy shifty guy who has great ball skills and is dangerous in the open field. The Hens were beyond terrible on offense last season and still were a few plays away from a +.500 season thanks to their defense.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
July 14th, 2016, 03:14 PM
Question for the CAA crowd. I'm not anywhere near the T.V. footprint of the league. Anybody have any recommendations on how to watch more of your games?? May be a stupid question but i'm not the most tech savvy person so I figured I'd ask.

RootinFerDukes
July 14th, 2016, 03:40 PM
Question for the CAA crowd. I'm not anywhere near the T.V. footprint of the league. Anybody have any recommendations on how to watch more of your games?? May be a stupid question but i'm not the most tech savvy person so I figured I'd ask.

I have never personally watched it because I am either at a JMU game and/or recording whatever CAA games come on local TV on my dvr. However, there is CAA.TV here https://portal.stretchinternet.com/caa/ that has some of the free school streams available on one site. It's possible it's a production put together by the CAA, I really don't know due to never using it.
If you're out of the TV market of any teams, streaming CAA.TV or streaming anything available on the individual sites of each CAA school may be the only option. I can't speak for the other schools, but JMU streams all of our home games for free on our website www.jmusports.com (http://www.jmusports.com) through the Madizone broadcast. I rarely use it, again typically at games in person, but most of our fans complain about how terribly unreliable it is with even a great internet connection. Constant buffering to the point where it's unwatchable. We have approximately 2k individual viewers trying to tune in on football games and it apparently can't handle that traffic. I don't want to discourage you haha.

We do have a number of early season FBS games that will be on ESPN3, largely due to the deals that the FBS teams have. We used to have a deal with NBCSN (we are technically still in the final year), yet they seemed to have kicked us to the curb and are not broadcasting a single CAA game this season. It's only on NBC local sports networks. Some Maine games are on Fox College Sports if you get that channel (it's usually part of the top tier sports package). Finally ASN sometimes shows our networks out of the immediate region of the CAA and it's definitely worth following the facebook or twitter accounts of CAA football. They release the TV clearances each week for all televised games and it often lists specific channels and regions they are airing in. I've seen games air in CA, TX, the deep south, etc.

RootinFerDukes
July 14th, 2016, 03:43 PM
http://www.caasports.com/news/2016/6/22/FB_0622162910.aspx

Here is the CAA TV Schedule.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
July 14th, 2016, 04:10 PM
Appreciate it!

Mattymc727
July 16th, 2016, 01:46 AM
Rumor is UNH starting TE Powell is suspended the first 6 games for violating team rules. Also, starting DT Boone out for year with foot injury. Not good news in Durham.

hktribefan
July 19th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Rumor is UNH starting TE Powell is suspended the first 6 games for violating team rules. Also, starting DT Boone out for year with foot injury. Not good news in Durham.

I feel like half of your starters could have something keep them from playing most of the season and you guys would still find a way to win enough games to get into the playoffs!

RootinFerDukes
July 19th, 2016, 01:17 PM
CAA Media Day is on ESPN3 this year. I hope this is a sign of an ESPN future to come. Screw NBCSN and their de-emphasizing of college football.

http://caasports.com/news/2016/7/19/FB_0719165519.aspx

Mattymc727
July 19th, 2016, 03:01 PM
I feel like half of your starters could have something keep them from playing most of the season and you guys would still find a way to win enough games to get into the playoffs!

UNH will be just fine at TE, despite Powell being on some pre-season lists....However, UNH was already weak at DT, and having Boone out makes it even worse. We are hearing it may not be all year, but not good regardless. UNH should be easy to run on IMO, unless they switch schemes to deal with the lack of depth.

Offense has talent, as it always does, QB will make or break the season.

Anthony215
July 19th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Peeking at Towson's roster I see last year starting CB Alphonso Augustine is not listed? Did he transfer, ruled ineligible or decide to hang up the cleats?

whoanellie
July 20th, 2016, 11:05 AM
new video board and moving to Under-Armour

https://www.facebook.com/ElonPhoenix/photos/a.479138035570.383370.263029630570/10157253021835571/?type=3&theater

caribbeanhen
July 20th, 2016, 06:42 PM
Delaware holding open tryouts at WR, last rumor was the pizza delivery boy was a slight favored over the Dunkin Donut late night guy.... it's that bad

as bad as it appears at WR, the Defense is going to be special, Hen fans aren't convinced about that yet but just wait!!!

Terry2889
July 20th, 2016, 09:44 PM
A lot of boring football coming your way ; )

Terry2889
July 20th, 2016, 09:47 PM
UNH will be just fine at TE, despite Powell being on some pre-season lists....However, UNH was already weak at DT, and having Boone out makes it even worse. We are hearing it may not be all year, but not good regardless. UNH should be easy to run on IMO, unless they switch schemes to deal with the lack of depth.

Offense has talent, as it always does, QB will make or break the season.

We get Jack Carroll back on the roster this year. I think we'll be fine. It isn't the talent on defense that screws us against he run, it's the JV high school football scheme we use! The 4-2-5 needs to be buried with Tubby Raymond's Wing-T in the graveyard of the old A-10 next to the gravestones of BU, Hofstra, and Northeastern....

jmufan999
August 9th, 2016, 08:56 PM
would love some HONEST assessments out of camp. maybe take off the (_______) colored glasses just a little. a little. i know it's difficult (seriously, that's not sarcasm).

i'm still worried about the QB position. the kicker has a big leg but is very young. the defense is very talented but were an absolute mess last year. we're relying on a great coaching staff to right the ship. how long will it take? do we have multiple pass rushers? Ankrah had 10.5 sacks, as many as the next 4 guys combined. who else is going to rush the passer?

***can the d-line get off blocks, and can the LBs wade through the traffic... take good angles... then wrap up?***

we're stacked at the skill positions in a way i don't know if i've ever seen at JMU... ever. top to bottom, there is tons of depth, experience, and talent. more speed than i've ever seen. QB is a huge, huge question mark. can we establish a dominant running game so that the QB doesn't have as much on his shoulders?

what about you guys?

bostonspider
August 9th, 2016, 09:11 PM
I love stories like this that show how much these guys are STUDENT- athletes..

https://spiderathletics.exposure.co/what-i-did-this-summer-griffin-trau?p=1#post-content

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 9th, 2016, 10:16 PM
would love some HONEST assessments out of camp. maybe take off the (_______) colored glasses just a little. a little. i know it's difficult (seriously, that's not sarcasm).

i'm still worried about the QB position. the kicker has a big leg but is very young. the defense is very talented but were an absolute mess last year. we're relying on a great coaching staff to right the ship. how long will it take? do we have multiple pass rushers? Ankrah had 10.5 sacks, as many as the next 4 guys combined. who else is going to rush the passer?

***can the d-line get off blocks, and can the LBs wade through the traffic... take good angles... then wrap up?***

we're stacked at the skill positions in a way i don't know if i've ever seen at JMU... ever. top to bottom, there is tons of depth, experience, and talent. more speed than i've ever seen. QB is a huge, huge question mark. can we establish a dominant running game so that the QB doesn't have as much on his shoulders?

what about you guys?

Richmond. I've been to a couple practices. The Spiders are really strong in a number of areas. QB, WR, TE, DL, LB, Safety.

On D, I am a little concerned about depth at CB. Jordan, Keels and Mainsah are 3 good players but Mainsah has show durability problems and Keels hasn't seen a ton of reps.

On O, we really need a running back to separate himself from the pack and I haven't seen it. The weakest link is probably at right tackle but there's competition there.

We should be sturdy in all facets of special teams. Haven't been able to say that in many years.

Tribe4SF
August 10th, 2016, 05:16 AM
All the question marks for the Tribe are on the defensive side. Replacing five starters from a unit that under-achieved in 2015. LB was the hardest hit area, and both safety starters will be new. Pass rush was a weakness last year and must improve. Promising talent among the redshirt freshmen and their development probably key to defensive improvement. Offense and special teams return nearly everyone and get help from some very talented newcomers including transfer WR/KR Jalen Christian and RB Albert Funderburke. No true fullback on the team so offense may look a bit different utilizing three very good TEs. Kicking game as good as we've ever had.

Gangtackle11
August 10th, 2016, 06:06 AM
Most of the questions that need to be answered are on the offensive side for Villanova.

The hope is RS sophomore QB Zach Bednarczyk will continue to improve on his CAA Co-Offensive Rookie of the Year season. Bednarczyk was inconsistent after taking over for John Robertson. He passed for 1300+ & ran for 500+ in 8 starts, but had some brutal interceptions.

The 'Cats need a running game to emerge from junior Matt Gudzak, Senior Javon White, and soph Aaron Forbes. Gudzak & White are coming back from injury filled seasons.

Villanova has to find a few receivers as only talented sophomore slot receiver Jarrett McClenton is a sure start. A couple of talented frosh receivers may challenge for playing time.

The offensive line welcomes back 6'8" 310 lbs. Brad Seaton from injury at left tackle. He & sophomore Ethan "Big E" Greenidge (6'4" 335 lbs) are a formidable duo at tackle. Tri-captain starter Nico D'Angelo holds down a guard position, but who plays the other guard & center is still to be determined.

The kicking game must improve as more than once the team passed on field goals to try 4th & long passes.

The defense was among the best in the CAA and most likely will be again. The biggest concern is the depth on the defensive line. No question that 6'7" 285lbs. NFL prospect Tanoh Kpassagnon is primed to have an All-American season at RDE. Senior Brian Osei is slated to start at LDE & Nose tackle will see soph. Bryan White & junior Ricky Young split time.

Despite the loss of All-American MLB Don Cherry the Linebacking corps are still a major strength. 3rd team all-CAA Austin Calitro & 5th year senior Corey Majors are back on the outside. The middle will be Junior Ed Shockley who has big shoes to fill replacing Cherry. It's a deep position for the 'Cats.

The defensive backs are led by the corners. 2nd team All-CAA junior Malik Reeves is a stud and 2014 All-CAA performer Jason Ceneus holds down the other corner. Villanova plays a 3-3-5 base defense & if there is a concern defensively it is at safety. The graduation of Cam McCurry & Matt McCann means that 2 young players must step up. Expect Rob Rolle, Justin Williams, Rashaan Stewart, and talented frosh Terrell Vassell to compete for the position.

The schedule avoids UNH, W&M, & Stony Brook gives Villanova hope that they will return to the FCS playoffs in the farewell tour of Coach Andy Talley.

Terry2889
August 10th, 2016, 08:11 AM
For UNH the season hinges largely on wether or not we develop a QB that can effectively manage the offense. We have a stable of talented and highly touted RB recruits that we should be able to lean on. The offensive line should be a strong point with much of last year's unit returning and a good deal of players who saw significant playing time last year. TE should be good with again some young talent bolstered by Jordan Powell once he serves a suspension. I think Jordan Malone Woods will flash as a new talent. At WR we have some serious question marks. There is a lot of talent, but unfortunately it is very raw. Rory Donovan has the talent, size, and speed to be an absolute nightmare in this league, and Kyon Taylor also has great ability but has failed to break out.

On Defense, our secondary should be very strong with a preseason all-america in DeAndrade. LB should also be a strong point with run stuffer Devaughn Chollette returning from a season-ending injury last year. DE is also very strong. The biggest question mark is the D-Line. A lot of young players will see significant time this year. They are big and talented, but not experienced which will be a huge problem. But the biggest issue facing our defense is our BRUTAL 4-2-5 scheme that consistently fails to be stout against the run due to having an uncovered gap right in the middle of the front!!!!

Special Teams- Our biggest weak spot as always : (

Against a tough schedule I could see this team going 5-6, but the schedule is very favorable and I see a 7-5 year possible with an 8-3 year if they overachieve. If the QB position and the DL situation become nightmares I think UNH may be in for a long season. But next year I think we'll se a return to prominence.

MRuler
August 10th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Albany assessment from local newspaper:

Camp opened Friday. Stories in the T-U have been on TU+, so summaries for those without subscriptions:

UAlbany football set to begin practice (http://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-sports/article/UAlbany-football-set-to-begin-practicing-9125677.php) facing predictions they'll be just as bad as last season.

"I wouldn't care if we were (chosen) first, second, second-to-last," said head coach Greg Gattuso, entering his third year. "Look, you don't like to be there. It's a reflection of how you played last year.
Areas to watch:
1. Establishing a quarterback
"Whoever goes out and plays the best in camp (will start)," Gattuso said. "I don't think Neven has done enough to be the man without any competition and DJ hasn't done enough. That's unfortunately where we're at with them. But we're in a better place right now than we were last year going into the season."
2. Building a defense
The Great Danes will look to upgrade a pass rush that had trouble getting to quarterbacks and a secondary that had difficulty stopping them.
"We've been lousy on defense, in my mind, and it's not (because of) effort," Gattuso said. "Depth, injuries have knocked us out of our comfort zone and I think we've addressed a lot of that."
and called sophomore defensive lineman Nick Griffin, a Shaker High graduate, a "big pleasant surprise."
3. Searching for big-play threats
UAlbany recruited incoming freshman wide receivers Tre Hopkins and Jerah Reeves to provide a game-breaking element that the Great Danes lacked last season.
If the newcomers show in camp they can be effective in stretching the field, that could make life easier for the quarterbacks and for returning receivers Brad Harris and Zee Roberson.
4. Looking for leadership
What was an extremely young roster will be more seasoned this year with experience and the return of players such as redshirt junior tight end Nic Ketter of Queensbury and redshirt junior linebacker Michael Nicastro, who missed all of last season.
"An immense difference (in leadership) in my opinion," Gattuso said. "No matter how hard they tried, it's hard to lead from the sideline. They gave it their all last season, but it's not just those two."
Gattuso pointed to offensive linemen Adam Wierbinski and Kevin Malloy, senior linebacker Neil Morrison and Harris and Clark as players who can set a winning tone for their teammates in camp.
5. Avoiding injuries
While any football team wants to stay healthy in the preseason, Gattuso is taking steps in that direction by changing the way the Great Danes practice. He said he'll have them in full pads less often this summer than he has in his first two seasons. "We're changing how we practice in the summer," Gattuso said. "It's something I believe in. Beating kids up, to me, never made a whole lot of sense.

Nicastro returns to field (http://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-sports/article/Michael-Nicastro-returns-to-field-for-UAlbany-9127127.php)
University at Albany outside linebacker Michael Nicastro uncoiled from his stance and smashed into a blocking sled in his first practice in almost a year Saturday afternoon. It wasn't done quite to the satisfaction of UAlbany defensive coordinator Bernard Clark, also the team's linebackers coach. "You're rusty, old man,'' Clark barked. Nicastro, a redshirt junior, said he was still getting his footwork in sync with his hands on the first day of training camp
Nicastro tore the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments and partially tore the meniscus in his right knee on what he felt was a questionable hit by a Buffalo offensive lineman. "It's tough,'' he said. "I personally don't think that was a good play by that particular lineman, but I mean, it's football. It happens. I'm sure he didn't mean to do it intentionally. I don't know whether it was a legal block or not."
Clark said Nicastro made the most of his time off last season, absorbing the team's switch to a new defense and mentoring his teammates.
"It's actually good just seeing him making calls and knowing what he's supposed to do,'' Clark said. "The great thing about Michael last year, when he was off the field, he did a great job of just learning the defense, learning what was going on.

Also latest report from camp: http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-football-searching-for-the-big-play-9132935.php

MRuler
August 10th, 2016, 09:26 AM
Watch the FBS transfers on Defense for Albany this year (Abner Logan Maryland and Nick Dillon Eastern Michigan). My understanding is they are legit. The JUCO transfer from Coffeyville CC Kareem Brown http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=211059257&DB_OEM_ID=15800 will be a force.

RootinFerDukes
August 10th, 2016, 12:01 PM
With D'Antonio saying they're trying to sign a new TV deal and likely won't renew with NBCSN, he said they're talking to ESPN specifically. What are your opinions there and what do you hope to see us come away with?

I think increased exposure through ESPN3 would be great for fan access nationwide. You apparently can't get WatchESPN internationally, I think I read somewhere.