PDA

View Full Version : Doug Fullerton retiring as Big Sky Commissioner

clenz
February 10th, 2016, 04:27 PM
http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2016/2/10/Fullerton.aspx

OGDEN, Utah (February 10, 2016)- Long time Big Sky Conference Commissioner Doug Fullerton announced his retirement today, effective June 30, 2016.

Fullerton is completing his 20th year as the head of the NCAA Division I Conference.

"This has been an incredible experience, being commissioner for 20 years," Fullerton said. "I have had the privilege to work with an incredible staff as well as committed presidents and talented athletics administrators who have positioned the Conference as one of the most innovative and stable conferences in Division I."

Fullerton is the fifth commissioner in the history of the Conference, taking the reins of the league in 1995 after ten years as Director of Athletics at Montana State University.

He has been one of the longest serving and most recognized commissioners in Division I. During his tenure, he has served as president of the Division I Collegiate Commissioners Association and was the first-ever Chair of the Men's Collegiate Basketball Officiating Association. In addition, he was a member of the inaugural College Football Officiating Organization Board of Directors as well as a member of the board of the NCAA Football and various other NCAA and related committees and organizations. Most recently, he completed a six-year term on the pretigious Men's Basketball Committee, involved in the selection and management of the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament.

Fullerton, a Hamilton, Mont., native, graduated from Hamilton High School in 1964 and earned his Bachelor's Degree at California Western University, where he lettered in both basketball and baseball. Returning to his home state, he was a pilot and Commander in the Montana National Guard, and has been concurrently involved in athletics since the early 1970's as a high school and college basketball coach, and then as an administrator. He earned his MA from Montana State University in 1986.

"The relationship Doug has with the Presidents has been the hallmark of his tenure as Commissioner," said Scott Wyatt, President of Sothern Utah University and current Chair of the Conference President's Council. "He has guided the Conference through the turbulent times of conference realignment and actually grew and strengthened our position in Division I during that time. He is a friend to us all and he will be missed. We wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors."

"I will miss dearly the excitement of working in this industry, and still believe strongly in what we are able to do for the extraordinary young people we work with every day," Fullerton said. "However, the time has arrived for me to get on with the plans I have for myself and my family.

"The Conference is perfectly positioned for what I believe will be even more changes in the future, and I am very proud of what we have built and what the conference is poised to become."

The search for a successor will begin immediately under the direction of the Big Sky Conference President's Council.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 10th, 2016, 04:28 PM
He'll be missed. One of the good ones. I always perk up when I hear he has something to say.

BisonFan02
February 10th, 2016, 04:46 PM
Wow....has this been in the works or is it a surprise Big Sky peeps? I hadn't heard anything leading up to this.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 10th, 2016, 05:08 PM
It's a surprise to me. I have always thought very highly of this guy and am sad to see him leaving.

Kemo
February 10th, 2016, 07:56 PM
Is he retiring so he can follow his dream of opening up "Honest Doug's Used Car Lot"?

mvemjsunpx
February 10th, 2016, 09:24 PM
Wow....has this been in the works or is it a surprise Big Sky peeps? I hadn't heard anything leading up to this.

I don't recall seeing any rumors anywhere, but he's been there 20 years and he's in his 70s.

Laker
February 10th, 2016, 10:23 PM
Will he get Idaho to join in football before he leaves? I haven't heard anything new about that lately.

Bisonoline
February 10th, 2016, 10:28 PM
Will he get Idaho to join in football before he leaves? I haven't heard anything new about that lately.

According to a pudknocker from the north Fullerton was going to lead the Bigsky to the promised FBS land.

BisonFan02
February 10th, 2016, 11:55 PM
According to a pudknocker from the north Fullerton was going to lead the Bigsky to the promised FBS land.

This is all a show. Fullerton is going to come out of a phone booth with a FBS cape on. #BigTiminBigSky

Twentysix
February 11th, 2016, 12:32 AM
This is all a show. Fullerton is going to come out of a phone booth with a FBS cape on. #BigTiminBigSky

He is only leaving this position so he can create "The Bigger Sky" the newest FBS conference, led by UND. The Bigger Sky, we play angry football.

F'N Hawks
February 11th, 2016, 08:35 AM
He is only leaving this position so he can create "The Bigger Sky" the newest FBS conference, led by UND. The Bigger Sky, we play angry football.

Good stuff, thanks. Might as well send this thread to the Smack forum as well.

I personally like Doug. He was obviously a boisterous guy who had big plans, whether doable or not. But at least the provided a quote and said what he was thinking.