PDA

View Full Version : Hero Sports' take on the best FCS recruiting classes

JSUSoutherner
February 4th, 2016, 06:09 PM
This may come as a surprise to some, but Chattanooga didn't have the best recruiting class. xcoffeex

http://m.herosports.com/news/ranking-the-top-30-recruiting-classes-in-the-fcs#1 (http://m.herosports.com/news/ranking-the-top-30-recruiting-classes-in-the-fcs#12)

IBleedYellow
February 4th, 2016, 06:18 PM
Woo! We made the list!

I've said it once, I'll say it again. We'll know in 4-5 years who did better with their class of 2016.

SFA 93
February 4th, 2016, 06:44 PM
​I like this list better :)

24/7 FCS Class Rankings
1. Yale
2. Columbia
3. Lamar
4. Stamford
5. Harvard
6. North Dakota St.
7. SFA
8. Sam Houston
9. ACU
10. UC Davis

Nickels
February 4th, 2016, 08:02 PM
Caleb Griffin and Cody Brewer form clearly the best QB tandem coming into an FCS program this year.
Bet UD fans will get a kick out of that...

centennial
February 4th, 2016, 09:57 PM
This may come as a surprise to some, but Chattanooga didn't have the best recruiting class. xcoffeex

http://m.herosports.com/news/ranking-the-top-30-recruiting-classes-in-the-fcs#1 (http://m.herosports.com/news/ranking-the-top-30-recruiting-classes-in-the-fcs#12)

I don't think NDSU had the best recruiting class. Most of our walkons only had D2, low FCS full scholarship offers.

Catatonic
February 5th, 2016, 07:30 AM
I don't think NDSU had the best recruiting class. Most of our walkons only had D2, low FCS full scholarship offers.

How many consecutive national championships does it take before smuggery gives way to at least feigning humility? xeyebrowx :(

Catatonic
February 5th, 2016, 07:46 AM
Consensus Top 10 (combining Hero Sports and 247)

1. Yale
2. NDSU
3. Harvard
4. Lamar
5. James Madison
6. Montana
7. Columbia
8. Sam Houston
9. Stephen F Austin
10. Samford

It is interesting to note that 10 of the top 25 on Hero Sports didn't make the top 25 on 247.

In the Southland, Hero Sports likes McNeese while 247 has McNeese in the bottom half of the conference rankings.

As others have said, check back in 4 or 5 years.

IBleedYellow
February 5th, 2016, 07:51 AM
How many consecutive national championships does it take before smuggery gives way to at least feigning humility? xeyebrowx
Purple means sarcasm...

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

bluehenbillk
February 5th, 2016, 08:10 AM

Yep, meanwhile UD got zero QB's when we were dead last in the country in passing last year. Maybe it's the program & not the coaches?? ugh

Catatonic
February 5th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Purple means sarcasm...

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Noted

Professor Chaos
February 5th, 2016, 09:01 AM
I'm actually pretty impressed with the amount of effort put into those rankings. That said, it's still an impossible endeavor to rank recruiting classes at this level unless you want to spend 2 months getting and evaluating tape.

One note on JSU, he mentions that "when you go to the national championship game, you reap the benefits of it when national signing day comes around". NDSU's coaches found out back in 2011 and 2012 that's not necessarily the case. NDSU has seen the worst attrition rate of the last 8 or so classes in those 2011 (after the quarterfinal run in 2010) and 2012 (after the first national title) classes. Both Bohl and Klieman have said that it's difficult to keep up recruiting when you're prepping and playing games throughout December and into early January with schools who aren't. While you're coaching on Saturdays other coaches are in these recruits' living rooms.

Now I'm sure that's a problem every FCS staff would love to have but my point is getting to the national title game or making a deep run in the playoffs doesn't really help you out recruiting as much as you'd think. NDSU, from the 2013 class on, has seen a much improved attrition rate as they've got out front and started their heavy recruiting much earlier than they did in those previous years but I'm sure its an adjustment many coaching staffs on perennial FCS playoff teams need to make.

IBleedYellow
February 5th, 2016, 09:57 AM
I'm actually pretty impressed with the amount of effort put into those rankings. That said, it's still an impossible endeavor to rank recruiting classes at this level unless you want to spend 2 months getting and evaluating tape.

One note on JSU, he mentions that "when you go to the national championship game, you reap the benefits of it when national signing day comes around". NDSU's coaches found out back in 2011 and 2012 that's not necessarily the case. NDSU has seen the worst attrition rate of the last 8 or so classes in those 2011 (after the quarterfinal run in 2010) and 2012 (after the first national title) classes. Both Bohl and Klieman have said that it's difficult to keep up recruiting when you're prepping and playing games throughout December and into early January with schools who aren't. While you're coaching on Saturdays other coaches are in these recruits' living rooms.

Now I'm sure that's a problem every FCS staff would love to have but my point is getting to the national title game or making a deep run in the playoffs doesn't really help you out recruiting as much as you'd think. NDSU, from the 2013 class on, has seen a much improved attrition rate as they've got out front and started their heavy recruiting much earlier than they did in those previous years but I'm sure its an adjustment many coaching staffs on perennial FCS playoff teams need to make.

It's a problem not a lot of people have noticed, though. App State probably saw it in their 3rd year during their run. If you just go ones and twos to the title game (which is what most people, including NDSU fans should expect), you're only going to have one or maybe two classes that will be down in a 5 year period.

Our two classes that dropped really hurt us, and we have young guys playing because of it.

MR. CHICKEN
February 5th, 2016, 10:22 AM

Caleb Griffin and Cody Brewer form clearly the best QB tandem coming into an FCS program this year.

.........​HOW'D KEELER DO IT...xconfusedx.......HE COODN'T FIND CAM NEWTON @ NEWARK HIGH....xdontknowx.................BRAWK!

chattanoogamocs
February 5th, 2016, 10:29 AM
I am with the majority on here when I say that most of these attempts to declare a "best class" or a ranking of top classes at the FCS level are just silly.

And I also subscribe to the view of evaluating a class after they have played at least a season or two...but, of course, that is never going to happen, this world wants instant gratification.

All that being said, I applaud the effort of Brian McLaughlin / Hero Sports. This might be the best recruiting class column I have ever seen. Well researched and put together.

And finally, I also agree that rankings don't really matter from year to year...addressing needs and how the players fit into your team is a lot more important than how many stars they have. Almost no one had heard of Terrell Owens when he came to Chattanooga and he ended up being pretty decent.

Sader87
February 5th, 2016, 10:46 AM
I thought they played flag football in the Ivy League...

Lehigh Football Nation
February 5th, 2016, 10:52 AM
There are ways to sort-of compare recruiting classes. I am working on one and perhaps another.

One are the (in)famous Patsy Ratings, but that's most useful when comparing Patriot League recruiting classes head-to-head.

Another is more broad based, dependent on others ranking systems, sort-of how Rivals does it.

ALL attempts to rate recruiting classes are "for entertainment purposes only".

McNeese75
February 5th, 2016, 10:55 AM
​I like this list better :)

24/7 FCS Class Rankings
1. Yale
2. Columbia
3. Lamar
4. Stamford
5. Harvard
6. North Dakota St.
7. SFA
8. Sam Houston
9. ACU
10. UC Davis

247 is pretty worthless and not up to date (at least for FCS purposes). They show McNeese with 10 commits xcoffeex

Sammy94
February 5th, 2016, 11:07 AM
.........​HOW'D KEELER DO IT...xconfusedx.......

His OC Longo, did it. Keeler is just there to close the deal.

Catatonic
February 5th, 2016, 11:13 AM
247 is pretty worthless and not up to date (at least for FCS purposes). They show McNeese with 10 commits xcoffeex

Looking forward to a response or two.

JSUSoutherner
February 5th, 2016, 11:20 AM

Rankings-wise this is the strongest class we have ever recruited. We got some really great players and most importantly we got great players to fill the holes. I'm excited about next year.

Schism55
February 5th, 2016, 11:35 AM
The Harvard and Yale rankings are pretty funny.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 5th, 2016, 12:15 PM
The Harvard and Yale rankings are pretty accurate.

FIFY

SU DOG
February 5th, 2016, 12:18 PM

Check to see if any of the other signees are listed by 247. These 10 are probably the only ones in their database. If not, then you have a legit gripe. I'm no expert, but I think the way this works is that if a player is at least listed by 247(equivalent of a one star maybe?), then he will be on the list. I suppose a player can be highly rated by Rivals and still not be on your commit or signed list as posted by 247. Two days ago Samford was #3, and now we are #10 I think it is. So, IMO, 247 does update fairly often. As someone said, it is really just for entertainment, and 247 does give us the pleasure of seeing some FCS schools ranked above some lower FBS teams. I'm not sure that any other service does that.

Smitty
February 5th, 2016, 01:05 PM
Check to see if any of the other signees are listed by 247.

We have 3 recruits that have not been updated to Western yet. 6 were listed in their database and the last 5 are not listed.

Catatonic
February 5th, 2016, 01:15 PM
We have 3 recruits that have not been updated to Western yet. 6 were listed in their database and the last 5 are not listed.

I sent @247 sports a DM about Abilene Christian signees in their data base that didn't show up on our list. One was still listed as a "hard commit" to the University of New Mexico. Took em a day or two, but they eventually made the changes. 10 of our 20 were in their data base...10 were not, but at least we now have "credit" for those on their radar.

YoUDeeMan
February 5th, 2016, 01:26 PM

Who needs a QB? Their use is completely overrated.

YoUDeeMan
February 5th, 2016, 01:40 PM

.........​HOW'D KEELER DO IT...xconfusedx.......HE COODN'T FIND CAM NEWTON @ NEWARK HIGH....xdontknowx.................BRAWK!

I know you are joking, but Cam Newton at Newark High? xlolx

State of Delaware QBs turn out to be DBs in college...although coaches in this state won't admit that.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 5th, 2016, 02:31 PM
Yep, meanwhile UD got zero QB's when we were dead last in the country in passing last year. Maybe it's the program & not the coaches?? ugh

I'd really just like to see the Wing T back anyway so let's get that going.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 5th, 2016, 02:38 PM

I'm trying to catch up in this thread but had this same impression. Don't know if it correct or even a great assessment but I think it is very interesting read and good work by them.

I am truly impressed with myself cuz I know I said around here last year that Montana will be going after big boys for the OL this year and we need them there as it is an area that had fallen off a bit. Looks like we did a good job there.

Catatonic
February 5th, 2016, 03:18 PM

Wouldn't have mattered. Bidding started at 20k for Cam's services. He's have been outbid by rich teams in the SEC.

Milktruck74
February 5th, 2016, 03:21 PM
The Harvard and Yale rankings are pretty funny.

Yale did end up with two Parade All Americans....but since they don't really play OOC, we may never know if they are really any good.

McNeese75
February 5th, 2016, 03:34 PM

You can bet your ass he did not disclose them to each other xlolx

MR. CHICKEN
February 5th, 2016, 04:31 PM
I know you are joking, but Cam Newton at Newark High? xlolx

State of Delaware QBs turn out to be DBs in college...although coaches in this state won't admit that.

...KEELER'S QB RECRUITIN' RECORD....WHILE AT YOU-DEE....WAS POOR...IT WAS MAH WAY UH SAYIN'....HE COODN'T RECRUIT UH CAM NEWTON LIKE PLAYER....EVEN IFIN' HE WAS PLAYIN' RIGHT UNDERAH HIS NOSE......IN NEWARK......SHOODAH SAID IT LIKE DIS...IN DUH FIRST PLACE...xembarrassedx........AWK!

JSUSoutherner
February 5th, 2016, 05:46 PM
Cam Newton isn't a QB, he's a freak. Peyton Manning is a QB. Silly pocket passers. xnodx

clenz
February 5th, 2016, 05:55 PM
Cam Newton isn't a QB, he's a freak. Peyton Manning is a QB. Silly pocket passers. xnodx

Watch Newton. Hers every bit the pocket guy as the others.

JSUSoutherner
February 5th, 2016, 06:15 PM
Watch Newton. Hers every bit the pocket guy as the others.
The difference is he does stuff like this on a regular basis.

http://youtu.be/B0gDD0YYsb8
During the regular season he had 636 yards, was 31st in total rushing yards (1st in QB rush yards) and averaged 4.8 YPC (4th highest in the NFL for 600+ yard rushers).

Peyton Manning's only rush of the season for positive yards was the one in the AFC championship where he did it to screw with Brady.

I don't know about you but I've never seen Manning, Brady, or Brees do this.

http://youtu.be/awArqOfxiNA

Yes, he passes from the pocket but when the opportunity presents himself he's not afraid to go tear some defenses in half.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 5th, 2016, 06:42 PM
You feel like discussing Newton? Great. Not here, I keep checking this thread for the info. it is intended for and seeing this ****...

Sorry, yes I have some sand in my vag but I don't give two ****s about Cam Newton. I do care about what the thread is supposed to be about though if we have any more in that regard.xthumbsupx