PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Is In For A Shocker!!

superman7515
February 3rd, 2016, 08:41 PM
Soon...

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/ygac9u/picture58202773/ALTERNATES/FREE_960/CaTlqiwUsAAtW05

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article58202793.html

ST_Lawson
February 3rd, 2016, 08:42 PM
I'm pretty sure we already decided that there's no way that Wichita State would "settle" for FCS. They'd go FBS-or-bust.

superman7515
February 3rd, 2016, 08:44 PM
Most likely, but they'd be required to stay in FCS for a couple of years at first anyway.

Laker
February 3rd, 2016, 08:49 PM
Cool looking helmet.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/ygac9u/picture58202773/ALTERNATES/FREE_960/CaTlqiwUsAAtW05

Nickels
February 3rd, 2016, 08:51 PM
What's with the old semi?

melloware13
February 3rd, 2016, 09:11 PM
What's with the old semi?
Looks like what they think they need for a band truck.

clenz
February 3rd, 2016, 09:15 PM
See the St Louis Billikens thread. Lots of discussion there on this already

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 3rd, 2016, 09:53 PM
I'd certainly welcome the Shockers into the AAC. The league desperately needs a boost on the basketball side and WSU would give the league just that. They also play in the perfect type city imo. Wichita is just big enough that people respect it as a city but small enough that college sports doesn't get lost in shuffle. Granted, Kansas is and always will be Jayhawk country.

My biggest complaint would be another far flung league member from Temple/UConn perspective.

I wonder if Wichita State would be able to convince NDSU to perhaps make the move too? I don't see any realignment at FBS level in the near future but ultimately more dominoes will fall. I know everyone talks about Memphis, Houston and Cincinnati but the UConn fans are dying right now. I almost feel sorry for the Husky faithful. They're stuck with a Larry Coker-esque basketball coach in Ollie and the vast majority of the teams they play in hoops have no appeal in Storrs.

BisonFan02
February 3rd, 2016, 09:55 PM
I'd certainly welcome the Shockers into the AAC. The league desperately needs a boost on the basketball side and WSU would give the league just that. They also play in the perfect type city imo. Wichita is just big enough that people respect it as a city but small enough that college sports doesn't get lost in shuffle. Granted, Kansas is and always will be Jayhawk country.

My biggest complaint would be another far flung league member from Temple/UConn perspective.

I wonder if Wichita State would be able to convince NDSU to perhaps make the move too? I don't see any realignment at FBS level in the near future but ultimately more dominoes will fall. I know everyone talks about Memphis, Houston and Cincinnati but the UConn fans are dying right now. I almost feel sorry for the Husky faithful. They're stuck with a Larry Coker-esque basketball coach in Ollie and the vast majority of the teams they play in hoops have no appeal in Storrs.

Nope.

Laker
February 3rd, 2016, 10:00 PM
UConn fans are dying right now. I almost feel sorry for the Husky faithful. They're stuck with a Larry Coker-esque basketball coach in Ollie and the vast majority of the teams they play in hoops have no appeal in Storrs.

I read an article by some UConn fan giving all the reasons why the BIG should add them. I don't see it happening.

BisonFan02
February 3rd, 2016, 10:08 PM
I read an article by some UConn fan giving all the reasons why the BIG should add them. I don't see it happening.

I wonder if UConn would be able to convince NDSU to perhaps make the move too? :D

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 3rd, 2016, 10:14 PM

They need someone to leave the ACC for the Big 12 or some other sort of miracle. Why the Big 10 took Rutgers over UConn I'll never know. UConn has a huge alumni base in NYC and Boston.

It's almost depressing reading the boneyard these days. Gampel Pavilion and the XL Center both rock when UConn has a big game. Gampel is the most underrated college venue in the country imo....

I grew up following Big East hoops (to this day I support Syracuse bball) in the late 80's, early 90's. While I certainly have no real love for Calhoun(far better on tv than I ever would have thought) or UConn I know what Husky fans have lost the last 2-3 years.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 3rd, 2016, 10:22 PM
I wonder if UConn would be able to convince NDSU to perhaps make the move too? :D

I think having some schools in that "part" of the country might make the move a little more appealing. The biggest hurdle NDSU faces in an attempt to go FBS is geographical isolation and facilities. I know they're really "driveable" but Wichita State and Tulsa at least are on the way to Frisco, TX so it's known territory. :p Relative to other potential opportunities it's not bad....

Wichita State has a similar profile to NDSU in terms of enrollment.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 3rd, 2016, 10:25 PM
They need someone to leave the ACC for the Big 12 or some other sort of miracle. Why the Big 10 took Rutgers over UConn I'll never know. UConn has a huge alumni base in NYC and Boston.

It's almost depressing reading the boneyard these days. Gampel Pavilion and the XL Center both rock when UConn has a big game. Gampel is the most underrated college venue in the country imo....

I grew up following Big East hoops (to this day I support Syracuse bball) in the late 80's, early 90's. While I certainly have no real love for Calhoun(far better on tv than I ever would have thought) or UConn I know what Husky fans have lost the last 2-3 years.

There have been no winners in the breakup of the old Big East. Well, one. Louisville. Everyone else has wrecked their rivalries and seen their fans disappear.

Laker
February 3rd, 2016, 10:30 PM
There have been no winners in the breakup of the old Big East. Well, one. Louisville. Everyone else has wrecked their rivalries and seen their fans disappear.

What might have beens- imagine if Penn State had joined the Big East. The map would look pretty different today.

I really don't know why the BIG picked Rutgers. They keep talking about TV sets, but wouldn't it have made more sense to take Syracuse? They seem more like "New York's Team".

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 3rd, 2016, 10:32 PM

In general, the Big East is still pretty strong competitively and has a very good identity (private bball centric schools). They recently had 3 teams in the Top 10. The league's atmospheres remain among the best in college hoops. Their coaches are getting paid and don't seem interested in leaving.

AAC hoops right now is dumpster fire relative to the Big East this year. One reason is the coaches in the Big East are MUCH better. The AAC is filled with crooks (Sampson, Heath and Brown) and guys who just can't put it together (Cronin, Dunpy and Pastner). The league is much better in football right now which seemed impossible 2 years ago. Then again, the coaches on the football side are better....

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
February 3rd, 2016, 10:34 PM
What is this bassketball you speak of??

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 3rd, 2016, 10:35 PM
What might have beens- imagine if Penn State had joined the Big East. The map would look pretty different today.

I really don't know why the BIG picked Rutgers. They keep talking about TV sets, but wouldn't it have made more sense to take Syracuse? They seem more like "New York's Team".

Syracuse is a relatively small private school so it doesn't really fit in with the Big 10 profile. I'm pretty sure Northwestern wants to be the only private school in the league.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 3rd, 2016, 10:40 PM
What is this bassketball you speak of??

That's the sport where the Bison beat the current #1 team in the country two years ago and nearly beat "America's Team" last season during March Madness. Those two basketball games might have given NDSU more "twitter cred" than anything they've done in football. Fair or unfairly...

dgtw
February 3rd, 2016, 10:43 PM

They are playing third fiddle in a relatively small state. Wichita is a decent size, but still not a huge market. While the Big Ten has good hoops, their bread and butter is still football and I can't see them taking a startup. I guess it would give them a toe in Big XII land, but that's about it.

I guess the AAC would be their best shot. They are kind of removed from the other leagues footprints and the AAC is very spread out.

IBleedYellow
February 3rd, 2016, 10:44 PM
That's the sport where the Bison beat the current #1 team in the country two years ago and nearly beat "America's Team" last season during March Madness. Those two basketball games might have given NDSU more "twitter cred" than anything they've done in football. Fair or unfairly...
He's probably still confused.

It's the one with the orange ball that bounces back when you throw it at the floor. It's a sphere instead of the form of a football.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
February 3rd, 2016, 11:02 PM

Yeah as a wrestler though I have to pose such questions. Bison basketball is about the only basketball I would support. Those wins were huge for the program as a whole, wish the ladies could get it together. Their run of D2 dominance in the 90's was legendary.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
February 3rd, 2016, 11:03 PM
He's probably still confused.

It's the one with the orange ball that bounces back when you throw it at the floor. It's a sphere instead of the form of a football.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

The way I played it was:
1 point for the backboard
2 points for the rim
3 points for any made shot

Don't even ask about the three point line.....xrolleyesx

BisonFan02
February 3rd, 2016, 11:08 PM

For the exact same reason the Bison are not getting into the MVC...the Bison are not getting into the AAC....or the MWC....

Lehigh Football Nation
February 4th, 2016, 12:27 AM
NDSU is known more for its football than its hoops. While their hoops are quite good, if a larger conference wanted to recruit the Bison, it would certainly be primarily for football.

And let's not kid ourselves. The Big East is a shadow of its former self without half the teams that made them great in their heyday.

Also, the void is really felt in basketball in the winter months. No Nova/Syracuse, no Georgetown/UConn. Even games with Pitt were big-time. As a casual fan I have a difficult time mustering any enthusiasm for Nova games with Marquette and Creighton.

Twentysix
February 4th, 2016, 01:21 AM

But Rutgers is basically in New York City It's like 15 miles from the edge of campus to Staten Island.... Syracuse is out in the middle of no where, and is closer to Toronto Ontario than NYC. Rutgers will get major TV sets if they can start winning.

Twentysix
February 4th, 2016, 01:32 AM
They are playing third fiddle in a relatively small state. Wichita is a decent size, but still not a huge market. While the Big Ten has good hoops, their bread and butter is still football and I can't see them taking a startup. I guess it would give them a toe in Big XII land, but that's about it.

I guess the AAC would be their best shot. They are kind of removed from the other leagues footprints and the AAC is very spread out.

Academics is the Big Ten's bread and butter and Witchita State isn't even a top 1000 world university (NDSU is a relatively poor school in world rankings and is in the 700s). The reason the Big Ten doesn't poach out of the Big Twelve is because the Big Twelve has **** academics other than #30 Texas (the #2 and 3 schools academically in the BigXII are Iowa State at #187 then Kansas at #196). The only schools in that general area that have the academic profile that worked for the Big Ten were #70 Utah and #54 Colorado. Other than Nebraska (who had its competitive academic rankings blown to **** after joining the big ten), Iowa is the worst school in the Big Ten academically at #141.

WSU might be able to join some conferences for football, but the Big Ten won't ever be one of them. Even if WSU gets a 90,000 seat stadium that they fill every game. KU is the only school from Kansas that the Big Ten could maybe poach, and I really think KU would have to up its overall academic profile.

gumby013
February 4th, 2016, 04:39 AM
But Rutgers is basically in New York City It's like 15 miles from the edge of campus to Staten Island.... Syracuse is out in the middle of no where, and is closer to Toronto Ontario than NYC. Rutgers will get major TV sets if they can start winning.

No one in NYC thinks about Staten Island, let alone Rutgers.

superman7515
February 4th, 2016, 05:18 AM
No one in NYC thinks about Staten Island, let alone Rutgers.

This x100.

The most popular football teams in NYC are Notre Dame, Penn State, and Syracuse. Rutgers might not be very far in mileage, but it's worlds apart in support and media coverage in the city.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2014/08/06/fan-maps/17f0a3146e54ebfefc95bfcb80f1cffdec431aa1/images/ncaa-fb-nyc.png

Lehigh Football Nation
February 4th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Rutgers will get major TV sets if they can start winning.

The brass ring that people have been talking about for the last thirty years. Still waiting.

achrist70
February 4th, 2016, 09:17 AM
In all honesty the B1G should have taken UCONN instead of Rutgers, they have as much impact on NYC.

AmsterBison
February 4th, 2016, 09:18 AM
The thought the New Yorkers are suddenly going to become Rutgers fans makes me laugh, scoff, and roll my eyes simultaneously. er, I see that point has already been driven home.

There are plenty of NJ eyeballs though.

UNIFanSince1983
February 4th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Rutgers will get major TV sets if they can start winning.

Ah yes. That is taking a major bet that they can start winning though. That is like putting all your money down on any single number on a roulette roll. Sure if you hit it will be big, but the odds are fairly low.

IBleedYellow
February 4th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Ah yes. That is taking a major bet that they can start winning though. That is like putting all your money down on any single number on a roulette roll. Sure if you hit it will be big, but the odds are fairly low.

Rutgers seems to have worse odds than roulette, though.

clenz
February 4th, 2016, 09:42 AM
All in on green

UNIFanSince1983
February 4th, 2016, 09:45 AM
Rutgers seems to have worse odds than roulette, though.

Quite true, but I also didn't think it was quite as bad as Powerball. I mean Schiano did have them doing some things for a few years.

PAllen
February 4th, 2016, 09:49 AM

Nope. the B1G got their NY market with Rutgers.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 4th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Nope. the B1G got their NY market with Rutgers.

How's that working out for them? xlolx

clenz
February 4th, 2016, 09:55 AM
How's that working out for them? xlolx
For the B10?

Well, their TV revenue went from 24m per school before adding Rutgers and Maryland to about 45m per school per year now...so...

Pretty ****ing well

BisonBacker
February 4th, 2016, 09:59 AM
For the exact same reason the Bison are not getting into the MVC...the Bison are not getting into the AAC....or the MWC....
Aren't you Mr. Enthusiasm xlolx Hanging around Clenz to much it appears xrolleyesx

Lehigh Football Nation
February 4th, 2016, 09:59 AM
For the B10?

Well, their TV revenue went from 24m per school before adding Rutgers and Maryland to about 45m per school per year now...so...

Pretty ****ing well

Until Fox decides to stop paying them...

clenz
February 4th, 2016, 10:03 AM
Until Fox decides to stop paying them...
Yeah...that....not going to happen

Smitty
February 4th, 2016, 11:59 AM
All I can say is good luck Wichita, Bardo never managed to make the right decisions at WCU (sports related that is). He never found an AD that could get the job done and we are in a better place without him...

JSUSoutherner
February 4th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Looks like what they think they need for a band truck.
All they might need to move their band is a small U-Haul if those would be their uniforms. Those things are nasty.

dbackjon
February 4th, 2016, 03:42 PM
See the St Louis Billikens thread. Lots of discussion there on this already

Yes, because that is the logical place to look for Wichita State posts :)

goyotes
May 3rd, 2016, 09:44 PM
Per the attached article from Dennis Dodd at CBS Sports, Wichita State has approached the Mountain West about membership, including football: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25576548

PantherRob82
May 3rd, 2016, 10:40 PM
Per the attached article from Dennis Dodd at CBS Sports, Wichita State has approached the Mountain West about membership, including football: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25576548

...and they said " f*** no"

Sycamore62
May 5th, 2016, 02:15 PM
Maybe they saw UConn had 37,000 less students and knew they already had ESPN as their network.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 9th, 2016, 10:40 AM
This is not a great piece, but it has something in it worth exploring.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/shatel-could-the-future-hold-one-conference-structure-for-football/article_14eba357-efca-5e98-b1d7-fa1795998c9f.html

Speaking of Creighton, I love what Athletic Director Bruce Rasmussen is doing with his imagination.

Call it the Rasmussen Plan. Call it brilliant, for a world without boundaries.

“Let’s have four 16-team regions for football,” Rasmussen said.

“You’ve got a Southeast region, Midwest, South and West. You have two eight-team divisions in each region. Have the networks bid on that 64-team setup, or the individual regions. The four regions have a playoff. It can be an eight-team playoff. All of the 64 teams share the money.”

How’s that for a painting?

And I haven’t even gotten to the part where Rasmussen suggested to his Big East colleagues that they go after Gonzaga, Wichita State and BYU.

“You can say that the (new) Big East was formed because of like missions, like sizes,” Rasmussen said. “But it was basketball. And we will be judged as a league on basketball.

“We would be a national conference, cover all the time zones. While I would like to see us investigate that, it will not happen. You would need 75 percent of the vote, and there are not eight votes for Wichita State or Gonzaga, or anybody right now.”

I don't know what this means about Shocker football, if the Big East is really an option. But I found it very, very interesting that Rasmussen floated Wichita State multiple times in this off-the-cuff piece.

clenz
May 9th, 2016, 10:41 AM
WSU was floated a lot when it was formed too.

It won't happen.

The east cast private, Jesuit, institutions will never let it happen.

NY Crusader 2010
May 9th, 2016, 11:53 AM

I think this was in the works sometime in the past 10 years but the rumor is Boeheim was highly opposed.

Laker
May 9th, 2016, 12:28 PM
I think this was in the works sometime in the past 10 years but the rumor is Boeheim was highly opposed.

Interesting. I wonder why. I know he didn't want to go to the ACC.

The Maryland fans who I've talked to say that they love being in the BIG