PDA

View Full Version : Start Spreading the News...Mercer Football BIG APPLE Takeover

FUBeAR
February 2nd, 2016, 05:09 PM
Front Page of USAToday's Online NCAAF Edition today...not bad.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/4b48b97a1fa0c0b3fa26064175a7dab467350592/c=0-130-2287-1849&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2016/02/02/USATODAY/USATODAY/635900274021214778-XXX-MERCER-BEARS-9210-79357752.JPG

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/recruiting/2016/02/02/mercer-football-national-signing-day-times-square-new-york/79712920/ (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/recruiting/2016/02/02/mercer-football-national-signing-day-times-square-new-york/79712920/)

Mercer University is aware it is best known nationally for its upset against then-No. 3 seed Duke nearly two years ago in the NCAA tournament. It knows most people aren’t aware it has an FCS-level college football program, one it reinstated in 2013 after a hiatus that began in World War II.

So the Bears’ athletic department has worked hard to get the message out. Last year for college football’s National Signing Day, the school welcomed its new signees on digital billboards throughout the state of Georgia — a trend that larger schools like LSU are jumping on this year in their home states.

About a month ago, Mercer athletic director Jim Cole turned to associate athletic director Daniel Tate and his marketing team, assistant athletic director for digital media Lisa Cherry and sports information director Jordon Bruner and asked them a simple question: “You surprised me last year; what do you have this year?”

The answer was even more outside the box: Times Square.

Yes, the Macon, Ga., private school with an undergraduate enrollment of 4,570 is commandeering two giant video boards in the middle of New York City to celebrate its football signees on Wednesday.

“It’s kind of like when we beat Duke, everybody said: Who’s Mercer?” Cole told USA TODAY Sports. “We got a lot of press from that. There was some pressure after that to not lose that momentum.

“It’s, what can we do that separates us from everybody else?”

Said Tate: “Our goal this year was, let’s try something different that’s never been done before.”

The Times Square screens will not just highlight football, but also put the entire university on display.

“We’re realists,” Cole said. “We know we’re going to have a lot of people in Times Square look up and say, ‘Where’s Mercer?’ We’re going to tell you where are, what we’re about. Miss America this year is a Mercer student; we’ll have that up there. We’re going to tell you about our famous alumni. What we’re about academically. That’ll run, then our athletes.”

Mercer also will again promote its signees on local billboards again. All of it is part of a push to maintain momentum. Tate said enrollment at the university has increased each year since Mercer’s upset of Duke.

“We’re growing,” Tate said. “From our President to everyone around here, we know athletics can generate interest in our university. It’s a great way to show we’re a great option for prospective students.”

Cole said he believes the expected benefits and exposure outweigh the cost of paying for video boards in Times Square.

“When we started football four years ago, the main reason was to increase the exposure of our university,” Cole said. “We’ve got a great university. Really, nobody knew about it because if you don’t compete at a high level in sports, you don’t get that name recognition to attract students to the school. Football’s done well for us.”

BearDownMU
February 2nd, 2016, 05:34 PM
One thing you can't deny, since getting football back, our Marketing, Video, and Social Media teams have gone all in. Great ideas and great work.

DFW HOYA
February 2nd, 2016, 07:31 PM
Mercer athletic director Jim Cole: "If you don’t compete at a high level in sports, you don’t get that name recognition to attract students to the school."

xeyebrowx

PaladinFan
February 3rd, 2016, 05:24 AM
Mercer reports that their student body is 87% from Georgia.

My question is why the concern with national name recognition (I am sure a billboard in Times Square is not inexpensive) when virtually all of your students come from a single state?

FUBeAR
February 3rd, 2016, 07:47 AM
Mercer reports that their student body is 87% from Georgia.

My question is why the concern with national name recognition (I am sure a billboard in Times Square is not inexpensive) when virtually all of your students come from a single state?

I know you're a smart enough guy to think of several of the numerous answers to your question, so I won't bother.

As to the cost - I've heard some, actually fairly reasonable, numbers rumored, but the single cost of that is really very small when you think about cost/impression and, subjectively, the impact of the purchase. The question that should be asked is "What is the value proposition?" How many impressions were made with Mercer on the front page of the USAToday's NCAA Football section? How many times was that ReTweeted? How much content will Mercer develop from the video that I'm sure they will create of the 'roll' of the signing class in Times Square and how many more impressions will that content have than if they did something 'lesser?' What is the impact value of those impressions upon the target market - HS Students & Parents / HS PSA's & Parents vs. something similar to what every other school does? As an example, I've seen several national articles about LSU doing billboards for their signing class this year that mention Mercer doing it last year. Residual impressions/impact still rolling in from last year's expense and I'm sure the same will happen with the Times Square effort.

Milktruck74
February 3rd, 2016, 08:01 AM
I think it is a neat Idea. Why not? Their recruits can look up at that board years from now and tell their kids, "My face was up there."

BTW. Prayers to the Mercer Athletic Family on the senseless loss of your BB player. Prayers for his family and your entire campus this week!!!

KPSUL
February 3rd, 2016, 08:53 AM
The few people in NYC who give it more than a slight glance will say, WTF? The minuscule number who actually read enough to realize it is information about a small college from GA and it's football team will say; "WTF, how stupid is this?"

I hope Mercer doesn't offer a marketing or Public Relations major, no kid wanting to study either should go to a school that came up with this.

BisonBacker
February 3rd, 2016, 08:58 AM
The few people in NYC who give it more than a slight glance will say, WTF? The minuscule number who actually read enough to realize it is information about a small college from GA and it's football team will say; "WTF, how stupid is this?"

I hope Mercer doesn't offer a marketing or Public Relations major, no kid wanting to study either should go to a school that came up with this.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Smitty
February 3rd, 2016, 09:37 AM

While this idea was great in theory I'm sure it is lost upon the tourist and locals of NYC

catamount man
February 3rd, 2016, 10:18 AM

THIS! Times 100. GO CATS!

Seawolf97
February 3rd, 2016, 10:57 AM
Great idea you have nothing to lose. NYC folks may glance up at it today until the heavy rain arrives around lunchtime

BearDownMU
February 3rd, 2016, 11:54 AM

This is actually a funny response. Also, interesting that you would consider this a marketing fail.

First of all, because of this, for the entire day yesterday, we were on the front page of the USA Today College Football section, with a picture and full story. Since, based on this post, my business degree from Mercer has no value, perhaps I shouldn't comment. But the editorial value alone of something like that, for a school that has only had football back in play for 3 years, seems rather substantial.

Also, it's only a few minutes on the boards in Times Square. But, if someone from Mercer happened to be in New York and got video of it. Well then you can replay that forever, can't you?

Regarding the makeup of the student body and the high concentration from GA: This is true, but the geographical demographics of the *student-athletes* are much more diverse.

Finally, as competitive as recruiting is these days, do people really think that 18 year olds would look at something like this and think it was stupid? Or perhaps they think it was cool that their mug was plastered all over the middle of one of our country's largest and most iconic cities.

The idea that you think this is about the people that happen to be in Times Square for the 15 minutes the videos run makes me wonder what your marketing education was like.

FUBeAR
February 3rd, 2016, 01:51 PM
This is actually a funny response. Also, interesting that you would consider this a marketing fail.

First of all, because of this, for the entire day yesterday, we were on the front page of the USA Today College Football section, with a picture and full story. Since, based on this post, my business degree from Mercer has no value, perhaps I shouldn't comment. But the editorial value alone of something like that, for a school that has only had football back in play for 3 years, seems rather substantial.

Also, it's only a few minutes on the boards in Times Square. But, if someone from Mercer happened to be in New York and got video of it. Well then you can replay that forever, can't you?

Regarding the makeup of the student body and the high concentration from GA: This is true, but the geographical demographics of the *student-athletes* are much more diverse.

Finally, as competitive as recruiting is these days, do people really think that 18 year olds would look at something like this and think it was stupid? Or perhaps they think it was cool that their mug was plastered all over the middle of one of our country's largest and most iconic cities.

The idea that you think this is about the people that happen to be in Times Square for the 15 minutes the videos run makes me wonder what your marketing education was like.

This ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ times googolplex

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/9e/a5/20/9ea520f8d08538e4dda3d853068315b5.jpg

CockyGeek
February 3rd, 2016, 04:34 PM
What a waste of money

FUBeAR
February 3rd, 2016, 05:35 PM
What a waste of money

You mean that money your Dad spent to.....whoa...caught myself there. Just playing...Mercer Family not feeling much like playing though today.

Anyway, I think the Board of Trustees, the President, the VP of Finance, the Head of Admissions, the Athletics Director, and the Head Football Coach of Mercer would strongly disagree with your assessment. But maybe you have more research data and insight into the errors built into their ROI models for this investment than they do.

FUBeAR
February 12th, 2016, 02:22 PM
http://footballscoop.com/news/mercer-promoted-its-incoming-recruiting-class-in-times-square/

Mercer promoted its incoming recruiting class in Times Square

Anyone who’s been to Times Square knows part of the fun is the dozens of sights ranging from peculiar to downright puzzling. For those walking around one of New York’s most famous landmarks today, that likely includes why a small college is showing photos of its incoming football players more than 900 miles from its Macon, Ga., campus.

In an effort to get the word out about its recently revived football program, a year ago Mercer plastered the state of Georgia wth billboards announcing its 2015 signing class.

http://footballscoop.com/news/fcs-program-announced-signing-class-billboards/

But, clearly, the Bears’ marketing staff couldn’t just repeat their promotion from last year. No, this year they had to up the ante.

http://twitter.com/MercerFootball/status/698171941170057217/photo/1
http://twitter.com/MercerFootball/status/698154062966034432/photo/1

VIDEO: https://www.facebook.com/dtate72/videos/10102411325057178/

The promotional efforts extend just beyond the football program. It’s not like “Mercer University” and “Times Square” are in the same sentence every day.
The billboards were originally slated to run last week on Signing Day, but a tragedy in the Bears’ basketball program forced the delay.

This begs the question: if Mercer has gone from Georgia to Times Square in one year, how will the Bears’ marketing staff top their efforts for 2017? There seems to be only one answer — the international space station.

clenz
February 12th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Will Mercer be offering FCOA?

Could probably come pretty damn close given what that likely cost.

FUBeAR
February 12th, 2016, 02:56 PM

Pretty sure the cost of the Times Square advertising was barely a fraction of the $600K - $700K annually (and recurring) that FCOA is estimated to cost an Athletic Program with FCS Football

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/ndsu-to-pay-cost-of-attendance-to-all-scholarship-athletes/article_04c35ab0-3ec4-53c5-b533-45f5c30e02f9.html

Also - this advertising was not ONLY about athletics at Mercer, so I'm sure some % of the funding will come from Mercer's 'general' marketing budget.

Also2 - as previously covered - this Adv Buy is not a 1 & done like a radio/TV/print spot - the publicity - USAToday, Football Scoop, Twitter, Facebook, etc. publicity & and the 'residual' marketing content Mercer will create around this will far, far exceed the penetration/impressions created by this purchase itself.

JSUSoutherner
February 12th, 2016, 03:02 PM
Pretty sure the cost of the Times Square advertising was barely a fraction of the $600K - $700K annually (and recurring) that FCOA is estimated to cost an Athletic Program with FCS Football

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/ndsu-to-pay-cost-of-attendance-to-all-scholarship-athletes/article_04c35ab0-3ec4-53c5-b533-45f5c30e02f9.html

Also - this advertising was not ONLY about athletics at Mercer, so I'm sure some % of the funding will come from Mercer's 'general' marketing budget.

Also2 - as previously covered - this Adv Buy is not a 1 & done like a radio/TV/print spot - the publicity - USAToday, Football Scoop, Twitter, Facebook, etc. publicity & and the 'residual' marketing content Mercer will create around this will far, far exceed the penetration/impressions created by this purchase itself.
Neat. Mercer knows how to plaster itself everywhere. Will that help Mercer win more games? We shall see.

FUBeAR
February 12th, 2016, 03:09 PM
Neat. Mercer knows how to plaster itself everywhere. Will that help Mercer win more games? We shall see.

Well...I don't know. I do know the Bears beat a team in regulation that took the Cocks into OT in the Playoffs while Mercer was playing with 20 less scholarships than both of those schools...so, as you said...we shall see.

clenz
February 12th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Well...I don't know. I do know the Bears beat a team in regulation that took the Cocks into OT in the Playoffs while Mercer was playing with 20 less scholarships than both of those schools...so, as you said...we shall see.
And hapless Indiana State beat NDSU just a few years ago...

USD, who has 6 MVFC wins in the 4 years they've been in the conference with two of those years being winless and outscored by 3+ TD per game, had a win AT NDSU last year and beat Minnesota in 2012.

A one week event doesn't prove anything in the grand scheme of things

FUBeAR
February 12th, 2016, 03:38 PM
And hapless Indiana State beat NDSU just a few years ago...

USD, who has 6 MVFC wins in the 4 years they've been in the conference with two of those years being winless and outscored by 3+ TD per game, had a win AT NDSU last year and beat Minnesota in 2012.

A one week event doesn't prove anything in the grand scheme of things

I don't know. The best Coaches & Teams that I've known and been associated with are/were totally focused on being 1-0 each & every week.

A season is a series of one week events that prove which team is better than the other in the combination of execution on one day and preparation for one week (except for games to open the season and after bye weeks, of course).

The 'grand scheme of things,' if I am interpreting your meaning correctly, is TOTALLY derived from one week events...that mean everything.

Besides all that....I simply said, "I don't know" and "we shall see" in my response. Both statements are, without question, true.

BearDownMU
February 13th, 2016, 05:02 PM

I seriously doubt we do FCOA for football. Maybe for basketball.

And my wager would be that the Times Square buy cost less than you think. My gut says it was less than $10K.