PDA

View Full Version : "Where's the real competition for NDSU?"

MTfan4life
January 28th, 2016, 06:27 PM
I understand this is just a letter to the newspaper, the Fargo Forum, but I still thought it'd be fun to share on here.

http://www.inforum.com/letters/3934336-letter-wheres-real-competition-ndsu

Of the 80 teams that made bowl games in FBS this year, I would say NDSU would have beaten 70 of those teams easily, and the other games would have been nail-biters.

The only team that will challenge NDSU in the next five years (outside of the MVC) will be the University of North Dakota

Aside from the UND comment, I'm most curious to hear who the 10 FBS teams are that would have a chance at beating NDSU!

centennial
January 28th, 2016, 06:37 PM
I understand this is just a letter to the newspaper, the Fargo Forum, but I still thought it'd be fun to share on here.

http://www.inforum.com/letters/3934336-letter-wheres-real-competition-ndsu

Aside from the UND comment, I'm most curious to hear who the 10 FBS teams are that would have a chance at beating NDSU!
Homer for both NDSU and UND? Must be a UND hockey- NDSU bandwagon hybrid fan.
For the record I think we give a good game to anyone out of the top 25. This amount of homerism is unhealthy. NDSU does not have the horses to stay with the Alabama's of the world.

344Johnson
January 28th, 2016, 06:37 PM
Lol what a Dingus.

BisonTru
January 28th, 2016, 06:38 PM
Why am I not shocked the Forum didn't hesitate to print this. Maybe they could have photoshopped some Bring on Bama signs to attach with it. At least it wasn't full front page this time.

JayJ79
January 28th, 2016, 06:39 PM
not sure how they justify that claim, considering NDSU didn't even play any FBS teams this past season.

BisonTru
January 28th, 2016, 06:42 PM
not sure how he can justify that claim, considering NDSU didn't even play any FBS teams this past season.

FYP

centennial
January 28th, 2016, 06:43 PM
not sure how they justify that claim, considering NDSU didn't even play any FBS teams this past season.
No rational fan is justifying it. Like any team with success we have a lot of band-wagoners that like to run their mouths. Bama, OSU, Michigan State, Stanford et all would beat NDSU.

UNHWildcat18
January 28th, 2016, 06:47 PM
I know they would beat some but 70/80.... Come on lol fun article to read though

NDSU1980
January 28th, 2016, 06:52 PM
That UND joker has had a few letters of equal caliber printed in the Forum. Apparently the Jealous is still raging up there.

centennial
January 28th, 2016, 06:56 PM
That UND joker has had a few letters of equal caliber printed in the Forum. Apparently the Jealous is still raging up there.
Reminds of a comment I read on the JSU board from HockeyMom

You needed to go for it on the first 4th and 1, you let them get a lead and your hosed. You needed to "Iowa vs. Stanford" these bastards. A lot of Sioux fans were counting on you and now I have to burn my really nice JSU hat and listen to Bison fan crap for another year.... thanks, guys. http://images.proboards.com/v5/smiley/sad.png

If you guys pull this off, I'll buy hats AND shirts for the kids .... come on, I really like my JSU hat. http://images.proboards.com/v5/smiley/wink.png

Bisonoline
January 28th, 2016, 06:56 PM

Any news in regards to NDSU is thoroughly gone over and attacked. Its quite humorus.

BisonFan02
January 28th, 2016, 07:49 PM
I had a feeling I knew who this was before I even opened the link.....

http://www.grandforksherald.com/users/brad-tastad

This dude is a UND fan.....always a "good" read. xlolx

BisonFan02
January 28th, 2016, 07:56 PM
I  believe that the weight deck of the North Dakota State University Bison has a sign that says, “Bring on the competition.” Well, after five years and a 71-5 record, I beg to ask: “Where is this competition?”
It obviously isn’t in the FCS division, which is greatly inferior to D-II football (outside of the Missouri Valley Conference).

Keep in mind the below...

Despite win, NDSU football still sucks

By Derrik T. Sovak (http://www.dakotastudent.com/search?q=Derrik%20T.%20Sovak)
Published: Tuesday, August 31, 2004
Updated: Sunday, November 8, 2009 01:11

I thought that I might have trouble writing this column. But after I reviewed all the facts surrounding our overzealous neighbors to the south at North Dakota State, I realized that talking **** about them just gets easier and easier.

On Saturday, NDSU hosted Valparaiso to a crowd of just over 18,000. They absolutely stomped Valpo to the tune of 52-0. As I watched local sports highlights and saw all of the Bison players patting each other's back for the ousting, I wondered how they were going to look at themselves in the mirror without laughing.

Note to NDSU: Valparaiso offers no scholarships to their players. That means that they have less of a recruiting pool than Bethune-Cookman. Valpo also plays in the Pioneer Football League, which is almost as prestigious as NDSU's Great West Conference. Both these conferences look like the island of misfit schools. And when you get two teams like the Bison and the Crusaders on the field it's almost a toss up.

The Bison were a sub-par team in Division II football last year, and the Crusaders finished 8-4 without a playoff appearance last season. So what happened in Fargo on Saturday was as far away from amazing as you can get without actually being at the Neverland Ranch.

Everyone is so excited around the NDSU campus. Football means something to these people. But I feel it my duty to be the asshole and let them in on a little secret. For the next decade, NDSU football will be as arbitrary as paying .40 cents for ranch at Buffalo Wild Wings after running up a $500 bar tab.

Saturday's matchup was between two unranked schools in leagues that mean nothing to anyone. A win is a win but when I'd still rather watch a team of midgets play a team of chimpanzees.

This is an old argument. I said it last year, and it's no secret that I think NDSU's move to DI was a terrible decision. So I don't want NDSU to get their hopes up too high. If they really think that every team they play in that other Division is going to lie down and take it like its their first time, they're wrong.

Just like when the Bison were getting crushed by DII teams every weekend, they will face a team that hands them a 52-0 loss and then we in Grand Forks will hear the griping and crying from the south. And I can say proudly that I saw it coming.

On the other hand, UND had a barn-burner against Delta State - the number 2 and 10 teams in the country - in GF on Saturday. I witnessed great things in that game and there's a chance that we could see those teams meet again in the near future. Valpo won't be back in Fargo unless either they or the Bison need to fill their already defunct schedules next season.

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that at UND football still has pride. I like knowing that, even though we're "only Division II" we still can watch two ranked teams play in a city like Grand Forks. It makes for good football, which we won't see in Fargo for a long time.

It also came to my attention that NDSU has revolutionized college football by introducing something called tailgating at their games.

Take this as you may, but your football program is not going to prosper any faster just because some freshman had a beer before the game. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm going to wait with bated breath for the Montana Tech game in a couple of weeks.

R.I.P. Bison Athletics.

There is a good faction of UND fans that still think DII/NCC is the "cream" and the FCS is just full of teams like Valpo and "island of misfit" schools....they don't know anything outside of the local region when it comes to collegiate sports....

Bisonator
January 28th, 2016, 08:05 PM
His last comment was all you really needed to read to see he was a Fawker fan.xrolleyesx

IBleedYellow
January 28th, 2016, 10:50 PM
UND fans telling NDSU what's best for NDSU again.

Man I hate them.

Professor Chaos
January 29th, 2016, 12:14 AM
He wrote that letter to the editor from the weight room up at UND.... and he's mad!!!!

BisonTru
January 29th, 2016, 12:42 AM
He wrote that letter to the editor from the weight room up at UND.... and he's mad!!!!

https://media.giphy.com/media/yTIo9AfHLSL6M/giphy.gif

dewey
January 29th, 2016, 05:40 AM
No rational fan is justifying it. Like any team with success we have a lot of band-wagoners that like to run their mouths. Bama, OSU, Michigan State, Stanford et all would beat NDSU.

^^^Agreed! The sad thing is that there are truly some delusional fans that actually think this. I for one am happy NDSU is in the FCS. Apparently Montana has moved to the MVFC since no one outside the MVFC can provide any competition.

Dewey

dewey
January 29th, 2016, 05:42 AM

Man I hate them.

No kidding! Boy this guy is a moron.

Here is another pearl of wisdom from Brad.
http://www.inforum.com/letters/3811059-letter-when-it-comes-bison-game-booze-money-talks

Dewey

AmsterBison
January 29th, 2016, 08:14 AM

Man I hate them.

Why? It's useful. Just take their advice and do the opposite. Works every time.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 29th, 2016, 08:21 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/yTIo9AfHLSL6M/giphy.gif

That must be darell.......xlolx

IBleedYellow
January 29th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Why? It's useful. Just take their advice and do the opposite. Works every time.

Oh, I forgot about that!

You're correct. Always do the opposite of what UND wants to do.

Want to stay DII? Nope, we'll go FCS, win a few titles instead.
Want to play a spread offense in the Big Sky? Nope, we'll play ground and pound like we always have.

MTfan4life
January 29th, 2016, 04:51 PM
Supposedly this guy has ideas for things outside of UND and NDSU too!

http://www.inforum.com/letters/3854259-letter-time-create-new-monthly-weather-lineup

Based on our weather patterns of recent years, I think we should change our thinking of the four seasons to this:

If this guy wasn't so short winded in his letters, I would assume it was mplsbison! These sorts of ideas are right up the classic mpls alley!

BisonFan02
January 29th, 2016, 04:56 PM

http://www.inforum.com/letters/3854259-letter-time-create-new-monthly-weather-lineup

If this guy wasn't so short winded in his letters, I would assume it was mplsbison! These sorts of ideas are right up the classic mpls alley!

The level of hubris there to have that kind of "pull" in order to accomplish that also still thinks the Fighting Sioux moniker is still a viable option. :D xlolx

SUPharmacist
January 29th, 2016, 05:28 PM
I know the Forum and Herald are awful newspapers, but why keep running letters from this guy. There is plenty of AP content they could reprint like most of their other articles.

MTfan4life
January 29th, 2016, 05:43 PM
The level of hubris there to have that kind of "pull" in order to accomplish that

I don't think it's really hubris. I have a family member who sends political letters just like these to the paper all the time. He does similar stuff on the internet, and I think these people are just the type who don't really have anyone to talk to. They are very opinionated though, so they think sending a letter to the newspaper will get people thinking about their opinions and ideas. It's done much more out of being totally oblivious to the reality of who would actually read and react. I don't think he's some cocky bastard or anything like that. Just another recluse who doesn't really have life experience to understand the reality of these types of situations.

thebootfitter
January 30th, 2016, 05:26 AM

Well... it's probably a pretty advanced thought for a 10-year-old.

Having been alive the past 10-plus years, I have noticed a change in our usual weather conditions...

caribbeanhen
January 30th, 2016, 09:33 AM
where is it? good question. we do know its not at the FCS level. wouldnt be surprised if Ndsu wins another 5 in a row

Terry2889
January 30th, 2016, 11:08 AM
The competition is there. It just needs to perform at the right moments. NDSU has been beaten and taken to the wire by several teams over the past couple of years. Montana, Western Illinois, Illinois State, SDSU, UNI all either beat the Bison or took them to the wire. In 2014 UNH lost to Illinois State in the semi's with half of their star players out of the game due to injuries. I'm not saying that UNH would have beat NDSU in the championship game if they were healthy (everyone is banged up at that point in the season) but they certainly could have competed in that game. The rest of the nation is working hard to compete with the bison with facilities improvements and better player development. You can see it clearly in the past 5 years in how competitive FCS teams have been on the field with FBS teams. NDSU may have won the last five in impressive fashion, but I think we'll see the gap close in the next few years here.

AmsterBison
January 30th, 2016, 11:11 AM
where is it? good question. we do know its not at the FCS level. wouldnt be surprised if Ndsu wins another 5 in a row

MVFC teams seem to give us all we want. This year it was UNI x 2, Youngstown, SIU, and USD (wtf!) Plus, of course, Montana Part I.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 30th, 2016, 11:12 AM
The competition is there. It just needs to perform at the right moments. NDSU has been beaten and taken to the wire by several teams over the past couple of years. Montana, Western Illinois, Illinois State, SDSU, UNI all either beat the Bison or took them to the wire. In 2014 UNH lost to Illinois State in the semi's with half of their star players out of the game due to injuries. I'm not saying that UNH would have beat NDSU in the championship game if they were healthy (everyone is banged up at that point in the season) but they certainly could have competed in that game. The rest of the nation is working hard to compete with the bison with facilities improvements and better player development. You can see it clearly in the past 5 years in how competitive FCS teams have been on the field with FBS teams. NDSU may have won the last five in impressive fashion, but I think we'll see the gap close in the next few years here.

You may be right but I like the Bison's chances next year with 8 starters coming back on defense.

xnodx

WTFCollegefootballfan
January 30th, 2016, 12:03 PM

So you are saying, what NDSU has done, is GOOD for the FCS?

BisonBacker
January 30th, 2016, 01:22 PM
What a joke UND. That comment alone is ludicrous. Didn't click on the link after I read that quote.

awBison
January 30th, 2016, 10:17 PM
What a horrible article. Like a previous poster said, I think NDSU could hang with and be competitive with most FBS teams outside the top 25. That's been pretty well proven over the last 8 years of FBS games. If all the stars aligned and the other team was having a horrible game with a bunch of turnovers we might pull off a win against a team better than the top 25 (maybe a 10-25 team) but there is pretty much zero chance of even coming close to any of the top 10 FBS teams. Those guys are big, fast, talented, and more importantly, don't make many mistakes. I do think we have a shot against Iowa next year but I'm not holding my breath. Iowa was no where near as good of a team as their ranking showed IMO. They barely squeaked out wins all year and got slaughtered when they played a real team. I do think they will be slightly better in 2016 then they were in 15 though.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
January 31st, 2016, 12:30 AM
What a horrible article. Like a previous poster said, I think NDSU could hang with and be competitive with most FBS teams outside the top 25. That's been pretty well proven over the last 8 years of FBS games. If all the stars aligned and the other team was having a horrible game with a bunch of turnovers we might pull off a win against a team better than the top 25 (maybe a 10-25 team) but there is pretty much zero chance of even coming close to any of the top 10 FBS teams. Those guys are big, fast, talented, and more importantly, don't make many mistakes. I do think we have a shot against Iowa next year but I'm not holding my breath. Iowa was no where near as good of a team as their ranking showed IMO. They barely squeaked out wins all year and got slaughtered when they played a real team. I do think they will be slightly better in 2016 then they were in 15 though.

That game has me real nervous. I hope we have a good showing and are competitive. We haven't been blown out since UNI at their place but it's difficult to continue to go into FBS venues and win. If it's a good game I'm happy. Our D keeps us in it.

#threaddrift

Bisonoline
January 31st, 2016, 12:47 AM

We barely squeaked out a few wins our self. This game will be the biggest test we have ever faced.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 31st, 2016, 01:18 AM
NDSU should schedule more away games against the elite of FCS. Going on the road to play Montana was awesome even in defeat. I think those type of games are tougher than some FBS contests because the Bison are still the hunted in a hostile environment. The U use to thrive on these type of games!

Even with the toughness of MVFC, and the Bison have faired just fine overall, 2 challenging roadies in the OOC would up the ante. I'd love to see them work out a yearly series with Montana!

I'd like the Bison to visit EWU, JMU, Richmond, UNH, SHSU, McNeese State, Jacksonville State and Chattanooga. And of course Lehigh in 2017.....that could be year if 2016 turns out how I think it will....xsmiley_wix

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
January 31st, 2016, 02:07 AM
NDSU should schedule more away games against the elite of FCS. Going on the road to play Montana was awesome even in defeat. I think those type of games are tougher than some FBS contests because the Bison are still the hunted in a hostile environment. The U use to thrive on these type of games!

Even with the toughness of MVFC, and the Bison have faired just fine overall, 2 challenging roadies in the OOC would up the ante. I'd love to see them work out a yearly series with Montana!

I'd like the Bison to visit EWU, JMU, Richmond, UNH, SHSU, McNeese State, Jacksonville State and Chattanooga. And of course Lehigh in 2017.....that could be year if 2016 turns out how I think it will....xsmiley_wix

Would be great but what has the playoff selection committee done with seeding do justify it? Has it payed off for teams like UNI?

dewey
January 31st, 2016, 07:44 AM
We barely squeaked out a few wins our self. This game will be the biggest test we have ever faced.

^^^This right here. Iowa plays a similar style of football to NDSU and will probably be a top 15 team next fall. To totally discredit how good they are because they got blown out in their bowl game is ludicrous. IMHO the next best FBS team NDDU has played was Kansas State and it took a legendary drive from the best team in FCS history to win that game. The Iowa game will be a lot of fun but it will be a very tough game to win.

Dewey

dewey
January 31st, 2016, 07:50 AM
Would be great but what has the playoff selection committee done with seeding do justify it? Has it payed off for teams like UNI?

The OOC games did t hurt UNI last year as they won their games against EWU and Cal Poly but they got hurt by the number of losses (NDSU, Illinois State, Western Illinois and Iowa State). If UNI wins the Western Illinois game and another they are a seeded team.

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 31st, 2016, 08:16 AM
Iowa will be a tough game but do not count out the Bison. No way will the Bison be blown out.

BisonFan02
January 31st, 2016, 08:43 AM

6 home games a year.....4 conference and two OOC. That leaves 1 road OOC per year (2 in a 12 game season perhaps). Absent a FBS game, that allows NDSU to scatter home/home games with schools like Montana and EWU. The two home OOC games could/should be either the front or back end of these games.

NDSUtk
January 31st, 2016, 09:14 AM

NDSU won't do 2 away OOC unless it is a 12 game season, at least that's what history has shown. However, we did the home and home with Montana. In 2016 EWU comes to Fargo and in 2017 we go out there. So we definitely are open to scheduling a higher caliber opponent on the road. Hopefully the trend continues with a good one coming to NDSU in '17 and us heading there in '18.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

WTFCollegefootballfan
January 31st, 2016, 07:12 PM
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/12651324_940126422691865_5385904995806561867_n.jpg ?oh=7530858b950bdeb9e6677bf49ddbdd05&oe=57371146

Terry2889
January 31st, 2016, 08:35 PM
So you are saying, what NDSU has done, is GOOD for the FCS?
FCS has gotten more press over the last five years than at any other time since Steve McNair was playing at Alcorn State. The number of schools that have elevated their facilities and recruiting profiles has significantly improved the product on the field in just about every conference. Is NDSU responsible for all of that? No. But do they factor into the bigger picture of the FCS arms race? Absolutely. SDSU's improvements are a direct result of their effort to match NDSU on the field. UNH's upgrades were also significantly impacted by the realization that continuing with the worst facilities in the nation wouldn't cut it. Somebody's gonna knock them off, and its gonna be sooner rather than later.

Sader87
January 31st, 2016, 08:52 PM
FCS has gotten more press over the last five years than at any other time since Steve McNair was playing at Alcorn State. The number of schools that have elevated their facilities and recruiting profiles has significantly improved the product on the field in just about every conference. Is NDSU responsible for all of that? No. But do they factor into the bigger picture of the FCS arms race? Absolutely. SDSU's improvements are a direct result of their effort to match NDSU on the field. UNH's upgrades were also significantly impacted by the realization that continuing with the worst facilities in the nation wouldn't cut it. Somebody's gonna knock them off, and its gonna be sooner rather than later.

Meh....depends, I think the FCS-level is fahh below where it was in certain areas (particularly the Northeast) than say the 1980s.

clenz
January 31st, 2016, 09:04 PM
UNI hasn't lost a road OOC games against a non-FBS team since 1997
UNI has 1 non-FBS OOC loss since 2010
Against non-FBS teams UNI is something like 24-1 since 2006.

The OOC is what has gotten UNI into the playoffs recently.

BisonFan02
January 31st, 2016, 09:46 PM

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuup. #valleybloodbath

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
January 31st, 2016, 10:52 PM

Yes they have done very well, but when you eliminate a couple cupcake games you can't deny that it makes it harder to run the table. My point is that this isn't the FBS where you need the best strength of schedule and quality wins to make the finale 4. The committee has proven that winning a conference is more than enough, especially in the MVFC, to warrant a high seed. I just don't think it has helped them recently. They have no room to breath

clenz
January 31st, 2016, 11:08 PM
Yes they have done very well, but when you eliminate a couple cupcake games you can't deny that it makes it harder to run the table. My point is that this isn't the FBS where you need the best strength of schedule and quality wins to make the finale 4. The committee has proven that winning a conference is more than enough, especially in the MVFC, to warrant a high seed. I just don't think it has helped them recently. They have no room to breath
What cupcake OOC games? There are few of those compared to what the OOC looks like since 2010

EWU - finished with an average record but still tougher than most OCO games
Cal Poly - see EWU
Northern Colorado - yeah, that's bad
Tenn Tech - yeah, that's bad
Drake - yeah, that's bad
McNeese State - top 10 team and got 6 seed in the playoffs
Stephen F Austin - playoff team

Go back before that and you see Southern Utah, South Dakota State, a couple more SFA, more Cal Poly, multiple McNeese State games....

Moving forward UNI still has Montana X2, EWU, Cal Poly left OOC.

Compare to NDSU's OOC opponents since 2010
Weber State
Montana
North Dakota
Weber State
Incarnate Word
Montana
Ferris State
Delaware State
Robert Morris
Prairie View A&M
Lafayette
St Francis
Morgan State
South Dakota

Obvious discrepancy in titles aside, you're point is not a good one.

We bash Youngstown State for having such a weak OOC that they can't get an at-large bid with 8 wins.

Now we want to get on UNI for having one of the toughest SOS in the nation since 2010 and having 1 OOC loss during that time and no OOC road losses since 1997...NOT A TYPO...NO OOC ROAD LOSSES SINCE 1997

Which would prepare UNI for the MVFC more - an OOC of Drake, Robert Morris and SEMO or Cal Poly, EWU and McNeese State?

If UNI was losing OCC games you'd have a point. UNI is dominating OOC opponents and it's why they are in discussion/getting in with 7 wins.

BisonFan02
January 31st, 2016, 11:16 PM
What cupcake OOC games? There are few of those compared to what the OOC looks like since 2010

Cal Poly - see EWU
Drake - yeah, that's bad

Go back before that and you see Southern Utah, South Dakota State, a couple more SFA, more Cal Poly, multiple McNeese State games....

Weber State
Montana
North Dakota
Weber State
Incarnate Word
Montana
Ferris State
Delaware State
Robert Morris
Prairie View A&M
Lafayette
St Francis
Morgan State
South Dakota

We bash Youngstown State for having such a weak OOC that they can't get an at-large bid with 8 wins.

Now we want to get on UNI for having one of the toughest SOS in the nation since 2010 and having 1 OOC loss during that time and no OOC road losses since 1997...NOT A TYPO...NO OOC ROAD LOSSES SINCE 1997

Which would prepare UNI for the MVFC more - an OOC of Drake, Robert Morris and SEMO or Cal Poly, EWU and McNeese State?

If UNI was losing OCC games you'd have a point. UNI is dominating OOC opponents and it's why they are in discussion/getting in with 7 wins.

That wasn't his point. I think he's going for the fact that the Valley schedule is tough enough...no sense to beat yourself up OOC before the Valley schedule begins. Not saying I 100% agree with him, but yeah...

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 1st, 2016, 07:35 AM
That wasn't his point. I think he's going for the fact that the Valley schedule is tough enough...no sense to beat yourself up OOC before the Valley schedule begins. Not saying I 100% agree with him, but yeah...

This here.

The Valley is tough enough, now put a FBS game in. No need for NDSU to try an schedule all tough OOC games. I like home/home with a good FCS team but no way should there ever be only 5 home games in a season.

That is why I get tired of listening to UND fans whine about NDSU not coming up to their Quonset for a game. Maybe in a 12 game season but it will never happen in a 11 game season, unless there is no FBS game and he other 2 OOC games are at home.

I like a good cupcake game every year. We have ours in '16: EWU

xnodx

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
February 1st, 2016, 10:30 AM

Cal Poly - see EWU
Drake - yeah, that's bad

Weber State
Montana
North Dakota
Weber State
Incarnate Word
Montana
Ferris State
Delaware State
Robert Morris
Prairie View A&M
Lafayette
St Francis
Morgan State
South Dakota

I think that you misunderstood me on the cupcake games comment. I was saying you don't have any. You don't play bad OOC games is what I was attempting to say. Though it hasn't hurt your record I think it's just difficult to be "up" every week for the entire schedule. That's all. Leads to the odd loss in your schedule to a team like Western Illinois and bam you lose your seed. I would argue that strength of schedule is great for the FCS but I don't think the committee weighs it the same as I would like.

srgrizizen
February 1st, 2016, 03:32 PM

Except for a couple of blowout losses in the playoffs in Missoula, most recently 48-10 in 2011. That's why I'm afraid they're licking their chops to get the Griz in Cedar Falls for a change this season.

RE: the original theme of the thread: However many FBS teams NDSU could beat, it's more than any other FCS program right now. With five straight NCs, it would be amazing if some fans didn't go completely off the deep end. Doesn't anybody think they could spank the Denver/Carolina winner?? :)

clenz
February 1st, 2016, 05:11 PM
I think that you misunderstood me on the cupcake games comment. I was saying you don't have any. You don't play bad OOC games is what I was attempting to say. Though it hasn't hurt your record I think it's just difficult to be "up" every week for the entire schedule. That's all. Leads to the odd loss in your schedule to a team like Western Illinois and bam you lose your seed. I would argue that strength of schedule is great for the FCS but I don't think the committee weighs it the same as I would like.
My apologies for that. I think we're on the same page.

Would I love to see UNI play an FBS and buy two home games? You freaking bet. Get out of OOC with a guaranteed 2 D1 wins (3 in 12 game seasons) without having to sweat about it too much would be great.

The issue is that isn't going to change the fact UNI is going to lose 1 or two conference games they shouldn't. All it's going to do is hurt UNI's SOS come selection time. 7-4/8-3 with OOC wins over Drake and Robert Morris is exactly what YSU is pretty much every single year. YSU misses the playoffs because they play exclusively NEC/PFL type teams OOC to rack up wins.

If UNI was losing OOC games I would be more inclined to throw a fit about it. But when you look at just how dominant UNI has been OOC during the regular season, and look at the type of teams that UNI is beating, it's tough to argue against the scheduling (Farley is also a staunch "We'll play anyone, anytime, anywhere" attitude guy). It's why when east coasters bitch about their OOC set up I can't help but laugh and go "UNI would pay a lot of money/set up a pretty nice series to get that kind of game".

It's a tough balancing act, and maybe UNI's early conference struggles do relate to how up they have to be every single week during the OOC and going from top 10-15 match ups OOC to playing a 90% empty road game at WIU/USD it does create "the perfect storm" to lose.

AmsterBison
February 1st, 2016, 06:02 PM

Kansas - W
Minnesota - W
Colorado State - W
Kansas State - W
Iowa Sate - W
Weber State - W
Montana - L
North Dakota - W
Weber State - W
Incarnate Word - W
Montana - W
Ferris State - W
Delaware State - W
Robert Morris - W
Prairie View A&M - W
Lafayette - W
St Francis - W
Morgan State - W
South Dakota - W

Not to mention the playoffs.

Seems like you are missing something from NDSU's OOC... :)

PAllen
February 1st, 2016, 06:50 PM
It's a shame you guys can't figure out a way to play Colgate in Hamilton in November.

clenz
February 1st, 2016, 06:56 PM
Seems like you are missing something from NDSU's OOC... :)

It's literally the next sentence.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
February 1st, 2016, 07:44 PM
My apologies for that. I think we're on the same page.

Would I love to see UNI play an FBS and buy two home games? You freaking bet. Get out of OOC with a guaranteed 2 D1 wins (3 in 12 game seasons) without having to sweat about it too much would be great.

The issue is that isn't going to change the fact UNI is going to lose 1 or two conference games they shouldn't. All it's going to do is hurt UNI's SOS come selection time. 7-4/8-3 with OOC wins over Drake and Robert Morris is exactly what YSU is pretty much every single year. YSU misses the playoffs because they play exclusively NEC/PFL type teams OOC to rack up wins.

If UNI was losing OOC games I would be more inclined to throw a fit about it. But when you look at just how dominant UNI has been OOC during the regular season, and look at the type of teams that UNI is beating, it's tough to argue against the scheduling (Farley is also a staunch "We'll play anyone, anytime, anywhere" attitude guy). It's why when east coasters bitch about their OOC set up I can't help but laugh and go "UNI would pay a lot of money/set up a pretty nice series to get that kind of game".

It's a tough balancing act, and maybe UNI's early conference struggles do relate to how up they have to be every single week during the OOC and going from top 10-15 match ups OOC to playing a 90% empty road game at WIU/USD it does create "the perfect storm" to lose.

Yeah I could have worded my response better.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 1st, 2016, 10:03 PM
It's a shame you guys can't figure out a way to play Colgate in Hamilton in November.

Everyone should experience Hamilton, NY in November. It's a one of a kind place! The Bison might know -30 air temps but do know they know what 2 feet of lake effect snow is like?

I'd love to see a few of the MVFC teams do a H-H with one of the better PL programs. I'm been begging and screaming for a Lehigh-Youngstown State game for 15+ years!

BisonFan02
February 1st, 2016, 10:14 PM
Everyone should experience Hamilton, NY in November. It's a one of a kind place! The Bison might know -30 air temps but do know they know what 2 feet of lake effect snow is like?

I'd love to see a few of the MVFC teams do a H-H with one of the better PL programs. I'm been begging and screaming for a Lehigh-Youngstown State game for 15+ years!

I've lived it...used to have to travel in the upstate NY area by way of PA for a good 3 years (Syracuse, Utica and even further up to Plattsburgh)....how about not. xlolx

Bisonoline
February 1st, 2016, 10:19 PM

Back in Nov of 2010 I was driving by the practice fields. It was 7pm and almost blizzard conditions. The team was practicing outside and most of the players were in shorts and short sleeves. They then went out to Montana State who has just had the same blizzard and won in good fashion. The cold and snow dont bother these kids.

clenz
February 1st, 2016, 10:20 PM

I'd love to see a few of the MVFC teams do a H-H with one of the better PL programs. I'm been begging and screaming for a Lehigh-Youngstown State game for 15+ years!If you want a good MVFC team why would you want YSU?

Or is this trying to grab W's vs mid/lower MVFC programs...

Like when winless in MVFC play USD beat up, Patriot Champ, Colgate in 2012 by double digits

clenz
February 1st, 2016, 10:22 PM
Back in Nov of 2010 I was driving by the practice fields. It was 7pm and almost blizzard conditions. The team was practicing outside and most of the players were in shorts and short sleeves. They then went out to Montana State who has just had the same blizzard and won in good fashion. The cold and snow dont bother these kids.
Yeah...

24 inches of snow in Fargo is no different than 24 inches of snow in PA, no matter how it falls....

Except the midwest typically has 24 inches of snow and sub zero temps with the snow not going away for 4 or 5 months. Lake effect snow is typically gone in short order and temps usually not too much below freezing.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 1st, 2016, 10:28 PM

I'm sure NDSU would handle the conditions just fine.

In 2003 Colgate did use the weather and home field advantage to the fullest when they beat UMass and WIU enroute to the finals. It really can get gnarly in the part of New York. More so than Syracuse where I've been tons of times during the winter....

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 1st, 2016, 10:32 PM
Yeah...

24 inches of snow in Fargo is no different than 24 inches of snow in PA, no matter how it falls....

Except the midwest typically has 24 inches of snow and sub zero temps with the snow not going away for 4 or 5 months. Lake effect snow is typically gone in short order and temps usually not too much below freezing.

Upstate New York's snowpack most years is a legit 4-6 month deal. This year because of El Nino it's been pretty mild. The two things about lake effect snow is the rate per hour (extremely high despite having a high water content) and the persistent bands. It's bizarre to travel 2-3 miles down the road and literally go from a dusting to 3-4 feet.

Having experienced Montana winters, I've rather drive in Pennsylvania after 10 inches of snow than in Bozeman with 2-3 inches. The packed down situation out there was scary as hell....

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 1st, 2016, 10:36 PM
If you want a good MVFC team why would you want YSU?

Or is this trying to grab W's vs mid/lower MVFC programs...

Like when winless in MVFC play USD beat up, Patriot Champ, Colgate in 2012 by double digits

That Colgate team was marginal at best. Lehigh was the better team in 2012 but going 3 years without a league loss was a little too much to ask. Apparently the committee expected them to. xsmhx

Youngstown State is an easy trip from Eastern PA. Lehigh has a large alumni base in Western PA but never plays out there. Plus, Lehigh recruits Northeast Ohio, and Ohio in general, pretty hard.

clenz
February 1st, 2016, 10:39 PM
Upstate New York's snowpack most years is a legit 4-6 month deal. This year because of El Nino it's been pretty mild. The two things about lake effect snow is the rate per hour (extremely high despite having a high water content) and the persistent bands. It's bizarre to travel 2-3 miles down the road and literally go from a dusting to 3-4 feet.
I have family that lived in Rochester (he was the head athletic trainer for RIT's Frozen Four team) for a couple years. They are now back in Iowa and from what I gather from him and his wife is this

Upstate New York gets one, maybe 2, good snows per year, which would equal a normal midwest system that comes through a few times per year. It's a lighter snow, which is they the accumulation is more.

It's typically mostly gone pretty quick.

What they call a "sever thunderstom" during the summer out there is a typical rain shower in the midwest. 20 MPH winds out there is considered pretty crazy fast. 20 MPH around the midwest is a light breeze.

A guy on CS would argue with me about that for years. He moved to St Louis 2 years ago (and St Louis is infanently more mild all year round with sever weather than Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, SD, and ND). I met him this weekend in St Louis (since I'm here for a business trip) and he finally admitted I was right about sever weather out east compared to the midwest.

That's now multiple people who have lived both places that have confirmed what I've read elsewhere.

Tell you what, I'll trade you a typical upstate New York winter for Iowa, Minnesota, ND, SD, Wisconsin.....

Deal?

- - - Updated - - -

That Colgate team was marginal at best. Lehigh was the better team in 2012 but going 3 years without a league loss was a little too much to ask. Apparently the committee expected them to. xsmhx

Youngstown State is an easy trip from Eastern PA. Lehigh has a large alumni base in Western PA but never plays out there. Plus, Lehigh recruits Northeast Ohio, and Ohio in general, pretty hard.
Yet Lehigh sill bangs the drum about beating UNI in 2010...A UNI team that would have finished in 7th place the year before, and no better than 8th in any year since 2010 in conference play.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 1st, 2016, 10:48 PM
I have family that lived in Rochester (he was the head athletic trainer for RIT's Frozen Four team) for a couple years. They are now back in Iowa and from what I gather from him and his wife is this

Upstate New York gets one, maybe 2, good snows per year, which would equal a normal midwest system that comes through a few times per year. It's a lighter snow, which is they the accumulation is more.

It's typically mostly gone pretty quick.

What they call a "sever thunderstom" during the summer out there is a typical rain shower in the midwest. 20 MPH winds out there is considered pretty crazy fast. 20 MPH around the midwest is a light breeze.

A guy on CS would argue with me about that for years. He moved to St Louis 2 years ago (and St Louis is infanently more mild all year round with sever weather than Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, SD, and ND). I met him this weekend in St Louis (since I'm here for a business trip) and he finally admitted I was right about sever weather out east compared to the midwest.

That's now multiple people who have lived both places that have confirmed what I've read elsewhere.

Tell you what, I'll trade you a typical upstate New York winter for Iowa, Minnesota, ND, SD, Wisconsin.....

Deal?

- - - Updated - - -

Yet Lehigh sill bangs the drum about beating UNI in 2010...A UNI team that would have finished in 7th place the year before, and no better than 8th in any year since 2010 in conference play.

I did 3 Montana winters so I'm somewhat prepared. Although, I didn't think they were that bad minus the horrific road conditions when it snowed a couple of inches. The cold never bothered me even when it got to a legit 25 below. The summers with the dry heat, hail and forest fires were worse. I learned where every car wash in the Gallatin Valley was just incase I had to protect my car from hail. July 2013 something like 25 out of 31 days in Bozeman were above 90. It was frickin brutal....

Rochester, NY is actually located in an area that doesn't get a lot of snow. Areas more east and southeast of Lake Ontario get slammed. The Tug Hill area north of Syracuse can easily see 2-4 feet snow falls more than once a year. Likewise some of the areas east of the Finger Lakes like Cortland, Hamilton, and Norwich.

I don't think Lehigh fans tout that UNI too much outside of the fact its still nice to get a playoff win over a MVFC team. Lehigh didn't crack the Top 25 in 2010 until early November. They got run by defending champ Villanova to start the year and lost by 17 or so to UNH without Lum. Spadola didn't emerge until midway through the season. The 2011 team was much better. The 2012 team was also better but never got to show it. The problem the 2012 faced was having the bulls-eye on their back for 2 straight years. 2010 Lehigh and 2015 Colgate are similar. Likewise with 2010 UNI and 2015 UNH...

IBleedYellow
February 2nd, 2016, 10:11 AM
I'M MORE BADASS BECAUSE I LIVE IN A COLDER PART OF THE WORLD THAN YOU!!!

xslapfightxxslapfightxxslapfightxxslapfightx

Laker
February 2nd, 2016, 10:21 AM
Tell you what, I'll trade you a typical upstate New York winter for Iowa, Minnesota, ND, SD, Wisconsin......

Clenz, are you getting hit hard now? All kinds of schools have called off around southern MN- but not one flake here yet.

clenz
February 2nd, 2016, 10:27 AM
Clenz, are you getting hit hard now? All kinds of schools have called off around southern MN- but not one flake here yet.

I'm in St Louis for a training right now.

I'm supposed to drive home today but I'm not sure how far I'll get. My wife is saying it's pretty nasty up there. Sounds like 80% of Iowa schools are closed. UNIs campus is closed.

A lot of thunder snow and 50 mph winds right now. My wife said she can't see the house across the street.

clenz
February 2nd, 2016, 10:41 AM
Looking at the DOT map for Iowa I'm good for 3/4 of my trip. Then 80-90 percent of Iowas roads are completely covered in snow/ice, travel not advised/tow ban and or completely closed

Twentysix
February 2nd, 2016, 04:54 PM
I'M MORE BADASS BECAUSE I LIVE IN A COLDER PART OF THE WORLD THAN YOU!!!

xslapfightxxslapfightxxslapfightxxslapfightx

It hasn't been colder than 55 here and was 67ish most days in January. :D

marenlee
February 3rd, 2016, 06:58 AM

Yeah. Well Guam.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 3rd, 2016, 07:01 AM

I drove thru the Twin Cities yesterday afternoon and 694 was a total cluster**ck. Must have passed 20 accidents and most people were "white-knuckling" their steering wheels....xlolx

BisonBacker
February 3rd, 2016, 09:00 AM

I don't like you!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah. Well Guam.

You either!!

xlolx

BisonBacker
February 3rd, 2016, 09:01 AM
Guam would be a fun place to visit but wouldn't want to live there. Hell you could stand on one side of the island and piss to the other :D

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
February 3rd, 2016, 10:04 AM
I drove thru the Twin Cities yesterday afternoon and 694 was a total cluster**ck. Must have passed 20 accidents and most people were "white-knuckling" their steering wheels....xlolx

Yeah with all of the snow today is really slow day down here too. I think it was close to a foot of snow overnight-ish.

Bisonoline
February 3rd, 2016, 03:19 PM
Guam would be a fun place to visit but wouldn't want to live there. Hell you could stand on one side of the island and piss to the other :D

At your age??????

Bisonoline
February 3rd, 2016, 03:20 PM
Yeah with all of the snow today is really slow day down here too. I think it was close to a foot of snow overnight-ish.

I think we got may be 1/2 inch? Not as bad as I thought we would get after looking at the weather maps.

BisonBacker
February 3rd, 2016, 04:01 PM
At your age??????

Damn Straight xlolx

Bisonoline
February 3rd, 2016, 04:03 PM
Damn Straight xlolx

I need to talk to your Urologist!

Southern Bison
February 8th, 2016, 07:58 PM
Damn boys...this thread has turned into a pissing contest 😖

BisonBacker
February 9th, 2016, 12:42 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519KceSuB8L._SY355_.jpg

BEAR
February 10th, 2016, 09:54 AM
Well at least the Bison can't win another one............................................... .................................................. ... nevermind.

Twentysix
February 11th, 2016, 01:49 AM
Well at least the Bison can't win another one............................................... .................................................. ... nevermind.

I wonder how many more years people will post stuff like this :D. I mean it can't go on forever, but I hope it does.

Thumper 76
February 12th, 2016, 10:56 PM
I wonder how many more years people will post stuff like this :D. I mean it can't go on forever, but I hope it does.

I'm not saying I'll celebrate when you guys eventually don't win the championship, I'm just saying if it's the Jacks that take you out I'll have a significantly smaller bank account

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gangtackle11
February 13th, 2016, 06:23 AM
Well, if anything was a guarantee in sports it would have to be another NDSU championship.

Games have to be played, but they are the prohibitive favorites with the team they have coming back.

NDSU is to the FCS as Secretariat was to horse racing.

The real accomplishment will be who is the other team in Frisco. That's the real question.

NDSU vs. ????

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 13th, 2016, 07:46 AM
Well, if anything was a guarantee in sports it would have to be another NDSU championship.

Games have to be played, but they are the prohibitive favorites with the team they have coming back.

NDSU is to the FCS as Secretariat was to horse racing.

The real accomplishment will be who is the other team in Frisco. That's the real question.

NDSU vs. ????

A few teams that I think could make a run in '16:

UNI
SHSU
Richmond

TheKingpin28
February 13th, 2016, 09:47 AM
A few teams that I think could make a run in '16:

UNI
SHSU
Richmond

Assuming the committee actually balances it out? If UND and SDSU make the playoffs then I could definitely see UNI on the other side of the bracket.

clenz
February 13th, 2016, 10:13 AM
Assuming the committee actually balances it out? If UND and SDSU make the playoffs then I could definitely see UNI on the other side of the bracket.
It's definitely in UNI's best interest for one or two of the other Dakota schools to be in the playoffs.

UNI is close enough to the OVC and a couple PFL teams that all it would take is two of the southern Big Sky schools to make the playoffs with 2 SLC schools and 1 or 2 extra Dakota Schools for UNI to be sent east.

Certainly doable most year.

- - - Updated - - -

It's definitely in UNI's best interest for one or two of the other Dakota schools to be in the playoffs.

UNI is close enough to the OVC and a couple PFL teams that all it would take is two of the southern Big Sky schools to make the playoffs with 2 SLC schools and 1 or 2 extra Dakota Schools for UNI to be sent east.

Certainly feasible every bit as often as not.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 13th, 2016, 10:49 AM

SDSU is going to have a tough road to the playoffs next year IMO. TCU, Ill State, NDSU and UNI all on the road plus Cal Poly at home. If they make it in, more than likely they will be coming to Fargo.

UND is interesting. Bubba is bringing a Valley type team to the BSC. Plus they do not have Montana, EWU and PSU on the schedule. They have a shot at the playoffs.

UNI and NDSU will battle it out for the Valley title next year with a slight edge going to UNI because they have the Bison at home. Hopefully we do not see all Valley teams on the same side of the bracket again. Total travesty this year.

IBleedYellow
February 13th, 2016, 10:53 AM
SDSU is going to have a tough road to the playoffs next year IMO. TCU, Ill State, NDSU and UNI all on the road plus Cal Poly at home. If they make it in, more than likely they will be coming to Fargo.

UND is interesting. Bubba is bringing a Valley type team to the BSC. Plus they do not have Montana, EWU and PSU on the schedule. They have a shot at the playoffs.

UNI and NDSU will battle it out for the Valley title next year with a slight edge going to UNI because they have the Bison at home. Hopefully we do not see all Valley teams on the same side of the bracket again. Total travesty this year.

Most likely they'll both drop a game in the Valley. It's inevitable for UNI to do it at least once, and NDSU has only blazed through the Valley once in 2013.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 13th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Most likely they'll both drop a game in the Valley. It's inevitable for UNI to do it at least once, and NDSU has only blazed through the Valley once in 2013.

You could be right but no one else even gives me optimism that they can knock off either team right now. IMO, Ill State will take a step back w/o Roberson and Coprich. SDSU has the 3 toughest teams on the road this year. Coaching changes will make USD, WIU and SIU play catch up for a couple of years. Missouri State?.....no way. Ind State?.....no way.

YSU might be a team to contend but they play Ill State, SDSU and NDSU on the road this year. But they do have 2 cupcake OOC games in Duquesne and RM.

Honestly, the only 2 games I see the Bison could lose would be UNI and Iowa. Now could they lay an egg like they did this year against USD, sure they could. But with so many starters coming back, I think they will be focused and ready for everyone's best shot in '16.

BisonFan02
February 13th, 2016, 12:20 PM
The 2016 Bison, on paper, is going to be silly good.......BUT....Stick needs to stay healthy. Not sure what we have with Davis or the redshirts. The defense will reload at the CB position. Every linebacker back? And DEs? Yes please! :D

IBleedYellow
February 13th, 2016, 06:01 PM
The 2016 Bison, on paper, is going to be silly good.......BUT....Stick needs to stay healthy. Not sure what we have with Davis or the redshirts. The defense will reload at the CB position. Every linebacker back? And DEs? Yes please! :D

Stop that. We're not supposed to say things like that around here!

BisonTru
February 13th, 2016, 06:34 PM

I'm more than comfortable, seeing Davis coming in, if Stick went down. I thought he did well in the spring game last year. Stick's legs give him the edge, but Davis is a decent QB.

I really hope he doesn't transfer for a starting opportunity. In my eyes he really solidifies the depth at the QB position for the next couple years.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 14th, 2016, 06:29 AM

The kid coming in at QB will be the successor to Stick IMO. Davis is probably "serviceable" if Stick goes down but Van Dellen is the real deal.