PDA

View Full Version : Mercer moving to SEC in 2017

FUBeAR
January 28th, 2016, 12:06 PM
...well...sorta...

http://www.macon.com/sports/college/mercer-university/article57015408.html

The Mercer football team announced Thursday that is has reached an agreement to play at Alabama in 2017 and 2021. Alabama won the national championship this month with a win over Clemson.

"We are excited to add one of the elite college football programs to our schedule in 2017 and 2021," Bears head coach Bobby Lamb said in a release. "This will be a great opportunity to test ourselves against a championship program in one of the most storied game-day environments in the country."

The Bears also are scheduled to play Auburn in 2017.

Mercer will play its first FBS opponent this season when it travels to Georgia Tech on Sept. 10. The Bears' 2016 season kicks off Sept. 3 against The Citadel in a Southern Conference game.

Professor Chaos
January 28th, 2016, 12:16 PM
But... but... but... you can't play FCS schools and make the CFP I thought???

centennial
January 28th, 2016, 12:44 PM
You can when you are better. Not when MVFC teams regularly scare the Big 10.

walliver
January 28th, 2016, 01:12 PM

Both teams in the CFP Championship played FCS teams, and neither has any intention of stopping this in the near future. Although G5 fans keep arguing otherwise.

chattanoogamocs
January 28th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Using FuBear logic, I guess that means that Chattanooga has been in the SEC since 1904. ;)

Mocs upcoming SEC schedule...

2015 Alabama
2016 LSU
2017 Kentucky

Lehigh Football Nation
January 28th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Mercer simply playing their historic former SoCon foes

FUBeAR
January 28th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Using FuBear logic, I guess that means that Chattanooga has been in the SEC since 1904. ;)

2015 Alabama
2016 LSU
2017 Kentucky

Only ONE SEC Team in a whole season!!!!??? Dat's nuttin' mon!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXdj6fzjxak

chattanoogamocs
January 28th, 2016, 02:13 PM
Only ONE SEC Team in a whole season!!!!??? Dat's nuttin' mon!!

That's true, Chattanooga is slacking...back in the 50's, UC sometimes played 3 to 5 SEC teams a year. #LazyMillennials

bluehenbillk
January 28th, 2016, 02:28 PM
Jesus, Alabama is embarrassing. They won't play non-conference games on the road & they continue this facade...

mvemjsunpx
January 28th, 2016, 02:50 PM
Mercer will play Alabama within one score & lose, just like every other game they play.

JSUSoutherner
January 28th, 2016, 02:53 PM

2015 Alabama
2016 LSU
2017 Kentucky
But how many SEC scalps did you bring home? ;)

FUBeAR
January 28th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Mercer will play Alabama within one score & lose, just like every other game they play.

Not exactly EVERY game. Some, the Bears WIN by one score.

http://s2.postimg.org/txw7lkjqx/Mercer_Chatt_Scoreboard.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

STATS FCS Poll

Rankings as of 1/11/2016

Rank
School
Votes
Prev

North Dakota State (13-2) (http://www.fcs.football/cfb/teamstats.asp?report=teamhome&team=0309)
3750 (150)

Jacksonville State (13-2) (http://www.fcs.football/cfb/teamstats.asp?report=teamhome&team=0247)

Sam Houston State (11-4) (http://www.fcs.football/cfb/teamstats.asp?report=teamhome&team=0184)

Richmond (10-4) (http://www.fcs.football/cfb/teamstats.asp?report=teamhome&team=0198)

Illinois State (10-3) (http://www.fcs.football/cfb/teamstats.asp?report=teamhome&team=0121)

Charleston Southern (10-3) (http://www.fcs.football/cfb/teamstats.asp?report=teamhome&team=0211)

McNeese State (10-1) (http://www.fcs.football/cfb/teamstats.asp?report=teamhome&team=0180)

UNI (9-5) (http://www.fcs.football/cfb/teamstats.asp?report=teamhome&team=0123)

Chattanooga (9-4) (http://www.fcs.football/cfb/teamstats.asp?report=teamhome&team=0177)

dgtw
January 28th, 2016, 04:17 PM
Jesus, Alabama is embarrassing. They won't play non-conference games on the road & they continue this facade...

They play one non-conference game a year at a neutral site against a big name opponent. Last year it was Wisconsin, next year Southern Cal. The games are usually at Jerry World or the Georgia Dome (played Clemson there) and on national TV. It is a big recruiting tool and I don't see it stopping as long as Saban is the coach. They are able to get those games because they are a big power and the major networks want to air their games.

The last home/home they played out of the SEC was Penn State the last two years Paterno was there. Personally, I would rather have a home/home with a big name but I don't make those decisions.

Laker
January 29th, 2016, 08:40 AM
They play one non-conference game a year at a neutral site against a big name opponent. Last year it was Wisconsin, next year Southern Cal. The games are usually at Jerry World or the Georgia Dome (played Clemson there) and on national TV. It is a big recruiting tool and I don't see it stopping as long as Saban is the coach. They are able to get those games because they are a big power and the major networks want to air their games.

The last home/home they played out of the SEC was Penn State the last two years Paterno was there. Personally, I would rather have a home/home with a big name but I don't make those decisions.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm not a fan of "neutral" site games. First of all, they rarely are neutral. Second, the on campus atmosphere is so much greater. Having been to several bowl games, I prefer going to someone's home stadium and seeing what they have there.

chattownmocs
January 29th, 2016, 09:32 AM
We are killing ourselves as a conference with all these non fcs games. Gotta pay the bills I guess.

SU DOG
January 29th, 2016, 10:21 AM
Of course Alabama will play out of state SoCon schools, but what about Samford, or JSU from the OVC? NOPE, they have a set-in-stone rule of NO in-state schools other than Auburn. That's not just FCS opponents, but any D1. THANK YOU Auburn for not having such a ridiculous rule(although JSU might have caused them to think about getting one after last season LOL).

JSUSoutherner
January 29th, 2016, 10:44 AM
Of course Alabama will play out of state SoCon schools, but what about Samford, or JSU from the OVC? NOPE, they have a set-in-stone rule of NO in-state schools other than Auburn. That's not just FCS opponents, but any D1. THANK YOU Auburn for not having such a ridiculous rule(although JSU might have caused them to think about getting one after last season LOL).
The Ole Miss and Auburn games are the reason Bama won't schedule us. They're afraid we may take a fan or something. Same reason they don't even like playing Auburn.

SU DOG
January 29th, 2016, 11:37 AM
The Ole Miss and Auburn games are the reason Bama won't schedule us. They're afraid we may take a fan or something. Same reason they don't even like playing Auburn.

Their rule was in effect long before those games. You are correct, however, in that Bamas are elitists who believe that they are entitled to all the state media and fan support. The rule is to insure that no upset for a "lesser" in-state opponent can be possible, regardless of how remote that event might be. Long long ago we tied the Tide 7-7, and I guess that will remain on the history books if they don't find some way to erase it.

JSUSoutherner
January 29th, 2016, 12:22 PM
Their rule was in effect long before those games. You are correct, however, in that Bamas are elitists who believe that they are entitled to all the state media and fan support. The rule is to insure that no upset for a "lesser" in-state opponent can be possible, regardless of how remote that event might be. Long long ago we tied the Tide 7-7, and I guess that will remain on the history books if they don't find some way to erase it.
I know. I should have said games like our Ole Miss and Auburn games were the reason. Rather than those two specifically. Or the GSU game.

Bammer: "Keep dreaming. JSU ain't ever gonna beat Bama."

JSU fan: "Of course we won't. You won't schedule us."

Bammer: "Why should we? It would hurt the program if we lost."

JSU fan: "Right. So you're avoiding us because you're scared we might beat you."

Bammer: "The Tide ain't skeeerd."

JSU fan: "Right."

Read more: http://gojaxstate.boards.net/thread/2086/mercer?page=1#ixzz3yevJdHro

Smitty
January 29th, 2016, 12:29 PM
We are killing ourselves as a conference with all these non fcs games. Gotta pay the bills I guess.

As long as they keep paying we will keep scheduling I guess...

Lehigh Football Nation
January 29th, 2016, 12:35 PM

That's a large part of the thesis in regards to the attempt to kill football at UAB.

JSUSoutherner
January 29th, 2016, 01:03 PM
That's a large part of the thesis in regards to the attempt to kill football at UAB.
Which they would have gotten away with if it wasn't for those meddling fans.

FUBeAR
January 29th, 2016, 02:26 PM
If there's one thing I hate, it's thread highjacking and/or thread 'creep' on College Football Message Boards!! I, personally, would never be part of such aberrant behavior!!

Focus SportsFans...

This thread is titled: Mercer moving to SEC in 2017

Please stay on topic moving forward. Thanking you, in advance, for your cooperation and compliance.

JSUSoutherner
January 29th, 2016, 02:29 PM
This thread is titled: Mercer moving to SEC in 2017

Which in itself is a joke, so this whole thread is full of sarcasm to begin with, right? Cool, so we're good. xthumbsupx

mvemjsunpx
January 29th, 2016, 02:57 PM
Which they would have gotten away with if it wasn't for those meddling fans.

Ruh Roh!

Roh Ro Re Ridn't!

PaladinFan
January 29th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Didn't the SoCon commissioner sort of publicly state last year that conference schools should stop scheduling two FBS games in a season and sub-D1 opponents?

I mean, this may well kill Mercer's chance at a post-season bid in 2017. Forces them to essentially win 7 of 9 to have an outside shot at the post season. I realize the money is nice, but it is not good for the conference and not particularly good for Mercer (except the payday).

FUBeAR
January 29th, 2016, 03:50 PM
Didn't the SoCon commissioner sort of publicly state last year that conference schools should stop scheduling two FBS games in a season and sub-D1 opponents?

I mean, this may well kill Mercer's chance at a post-season bid in 2017. Forces them to essentially win 7 of 9 to have an outside shot at the post season. I realize the money is nice, but it is not good for the conference and not particularly good for Mercer (except the payday).

http://www.your-inner-voice.com/images/dont-rain-on-my-parade-21704169.jpg

centennial
January 29th, 2016, 04:03 PM
http://www.your-inner-voice.com/images/dont-rain-on-my-parade-21704169.jpg
Lol. Mercer is scheduling itself out of the playoffs, unless you think you can beat a SEC team.

FUBeAR
January 29th, 2016, 04:47 PM
Lol. Mercer is scheduling itself out of the playoffs, unless you think you can beat a SEC team.

SEC Teams have lost 7 games to FCS Teams. SoCon Teams have administered 5 of those 7 losses. 3 of those 5 SEC losses to SoCon Teams have occurred in this decade.

I won't be playing or coaching, but, no, I don't think I can beat an SEC Team.
On the other hand, I KNOW a SoCon Team CAN beat an SEC Team because, um, well, they simply have.

JSUSoutherner
January 29th, 2016, 05:51 PM
SEC Teams have lost 7 games to FCS Teams. SoCon Teams have administered 5 of those 7 losses. 3 of those 5 SEC losses to SoCon Teams have occurred in this decade.

I won't be playing or coaching, but, no, I don't think I can beat an SEC Team.
On the other hand, I KNOW a SoCon Team CAN beat an SEC Team because, um, well, they simply have.
How many of the 5 games were to teams still in the SoCon? Look, Mercer is a good team, but if you think Mercer will do anything in Tuscaloosa other than get waffle stomped then you're crazy. There isn't a single team in the FCS that could hang with them right now.

FUBeAR
January 29th, 2016, 06:22 PM
How many of the 5 games were to teams still in the SoCon? Look, Mercer is a good team, but if you think Mercer will do anything in Tuscaloosa other than get waffle stomped then you're crazy. There isn't a single team in the FCS that could hang with them right now.

80% of them were. Guessing you were expecting that number to be lower. Moving on...

I'm not going to do it, but I bet if I looked for about a minute or 2 on the interwebs, I could find oh-so-many, oh-so-very-similar comments to your "waffle-stomping" comment regarding the JaxSt @ Auburn game this season (2015) that were posted way back in 2013. And you, better than most, know exactly what happened in that game. If the FCS Gamecocks don't have a 17 yard shanked punt with a TD lead and 1:05 left to play in the 4th quarter, they most likely win that game over the FBS/SEC team that was the BCS National Champions just 2 years earlier.

The 2017 season is that same 2 seasons past Alabama's FBS National Championship season of 2015. Alabama (today) ain't Auburn (today) & Mercer (today) ain't JaxSt (today), but do you REALLY want to be like one of those MORONS who was crowing about how the NATIONAL CHAMPION Auburn TIGERS would waffle-stop the LOWLY FCS JaxSt Gamecocks back then? Certainly, it's within your rights to be like them if you want to. Personally, I'll choose to say..."ANY GIVEN SATURDAY..." and leave it at that.

Thumper 76
January 29th, 2016, 07:46 PM
Dude Jax St was in the National Championship this year. Mercer won two games against decent teams last year. NDSU fans aren't delusional enough to think they were going to beat Bama. You might stick with them for the first quarter or half of you are lucky and Saban is nice. But the ending will be a boat racing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgtw
January 29th, 2016, 07:53 PM

So when is Samford going to play Jax State again?

SU DOG
January 29th, 2016, 08:40 PM
It should be every year, home & home IMO, now that captain Jack is gone. If he was still there, I would never care to play you guys again. Things that happened under his watch are what killed this game(and YES I know that we weren't a program at that time that could compete).

JSUSoutherner
January 29th, 2016, 08:57 PM
80% of them were. Guessing you were expecting that number to be lower. Moving on...

I'm not going to do it, but I bet if I looked for about a minute or 2 on the interwebs, I could find oh-so-many, oh-so-very-similar comments to your "waffle-stomping" comment regarding the JaxSt @ Auburn game this season (2015) that were posted way back in 2013. And you, better than most, know exactly what happened in that game. If the FCS Gamecocks don't have a 17 yard shanked punt with a TD lead and 1:05 left to play in the 4th quarter, they most likely win that game over the FBS/SEC team that was the BCS National Champions just 2 years earlier.

The 2017 season is that same 2 seasons past Alabama's FBS National Championship season of 2015. Alabama (today) ain't Auburn (today) & Mercer (today) ain't JaxSt (today), but do you REALLY want to be like one of those MORONS who was crowing about how the NATIONAL CHAMPION Auburn TIGERS would waffle-stop the LOWLY FCS JaxSt Gamecocks back then? Certainly, it's within your rights to be like them if you want to. Personally, I'll choose to say..."ANY GIVEN SATURDAY..." and leave it at that. 80% of them ehh? Ok, so how many of them were Mercer? After all, the whole of the SoCon isn't playing Bama.

Oh and to your Auburn thing, we didn't even win, so there's that. Alabama is a dynasty. Auburn didn't win jack s***. Cam Newton did. As long as they have Saban Mercer has less than a snowball's chance in hell. I probably hate Bama more than 98% of the people here and I would love to see you guys take them down, but you really can't deny that they are that good and the odds are slim to none.

Like I said though, if you guys pull off the biggest upset ever in college sports I will gladly swallow shovelfulls of crow because Buck Fama.

FUBeAR
January 30th, 2016, 12:11 AM
Dude Jax St was in the National Championship this year. Mercer won two games against decent teams last year. NDSU fans aren't delusional enough to think they were going to beat Bama. You might stick with them for the first quarter or half of you are lucky and Saban is nice. But the ending will be a boat racing.

I'm not going to do it, but I bet if I looked for about a minute or 2 on the interwebs, I could find oh-so-many, oh-so-very-similar comments to your "boat racing" comment regarding the JaxSt @ Auburn game this season (2015) that were posted way back in 2013. And you know what happened in that game? If the 2015 FCS Gamecocks, who just 2 seasons earlier had tied for 3rd place in the OVC & even lost an OVC game by almost 40 points, didn't have a 17 yard shanked punt with a TD lead and 1:05 left to play in the 4th quarter, they most likely win that game over the FBS/SEC team that was the BCS National Champions just 2 years earlier.

The 2017 season is that same 2 seasons past Alabama's FBS National Championship season of 2015. Alabama (today) ain't Auburn (today) & Mercer (today) ain't JaxSt (today), but do you REALLY want to be like one of those MORONS who was crowing about how the NATIONAL CHAMPION Auburn TIGERS would boat race the LOWLY FCS JaxSt Gamecocks, who had just finished in 3rd place in what many view as a weak FCS Conference & been blown out by almost 40 points by another FCS team, back then? Certainly, it's within your rights to be like them if you want to. Personally, I'll choose to say..."ANY GIVEN SATURDAY..." and leave it at that.

FUBeAR
January 30th, 2016, 12:24 AM
80% of them ehh? Ok, so how many of them were Mercer?

I'll let you do the research on that question, but I will give you a hint...perhaps: Mercer is undefeated vs. FBS Teams in the past 74 seasons of College Football.

Oh and to your Auburn thing, we didn't even win, so there's that.

So, are you saying JaxSt was waffle-stomped by Auburn in their game this season, then?

Auburn didn't win jack s***. Cam Newton did.

You know football, I think, better than that. No single football player ever has nor ever will win a football game on his own. Auburn was the 2013 BCS National Champions as much as Alabama is the 2015 FBS National Champions.

As long as they have Saban Mercer has less than a snowball's chance in hell...but you really can't deny that they are that good and the odds are slim to none.

ANY GIVEN SATURDAY...

...I probably hate Bama more than 98% of the people here and I would love to see you guys take them down...Like I said though, if you guys pull off the biggest upset ever in college sports I will gladly swallow shovelfulls of crow because Buck Fama.

From your keyboard to the Football Gods' screens! I would hope that all REAL FCS Fans hope that you are extremely well fed that day, my friend...although...if a Gamecock eats crow, is that kinda, sorta cannibalistic? What the heck...hope we get to find out!

JSUSoutherner
January 30th, 2016, 12:51 AM
I'll let you do the research on that question, but I will give you a hint...perhaps: Mercer is undefeated vs. FBS Teams in the past 74 seasons of College Football.

So, are you saying JaxSt was waffle-stomped by Auburn in their game this season, then?

You know football, I think, better than that. No single football player ever has nor ever will win a football game on his own. Auburn was the 2013 BCS National Champions as much Alabama is the 2015 FBS National Champions.

ANY GIVEN SATURDAY...

From your keyboard to the Football Gods' screens! I would hope that all REAL FCS Fans hope that you are extremely well fed that day, my friend...although...if a Gamecock eats crow, is that kinda, sorta cannibalistic? What the heck...hope we get to find out!

1.) Because you were the FCS equivalent of UAB?

2.) Auburn hasn't won 4 championships with Malzahn. Saban at Bama does. They have zero and a loss to FSU who stomped UTC by almost 60 this past season.

3.) I guess that explains why Auburn was a dumpster fire before and after Cam left and the Panthers are now convieniently a NFC powerhouse and are going to the Super Bowl in a year where Cam Newton is setting all sorts of records. Nope. No correlation there. (If Wikipedia isn't lying to me and I counted correctly he has around 40 NFL records right now)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cam_Newton

4.) I never said it was impossible. I'm just saying the chances aren't in your favor.

5.) Captain Jack isn't here anymore. (Thankfully) So, no, not cannibalism. But yes I hope you win but I'm not betting on it. I wouldn't even bet on JSU in that game.

Thumper 76
January 30th, 2016, 05:14 AM
I'm not going to do it, but I bet if I looked for about a minute or 2 on the interwebs, I could find oh-so-many, oh-so-very-similar comments to your "boat racing" comment regarding the JaxSt @ Auburn game this season (2015) that were posted way back in 2013. And you know what happened in that game? If the 2015 FCS Gamecocks, who just 2 seasons earlier had tied for 3rd place in the OVC & even lost an OVC game by almost 40 points, didn't have a 17 yard shanked punt with a TD lead and 1:05 left to play in the 4th quarter, they most likely win that game over the FBS/SEC team that was the BCS National Champions just 2 years earlier.

The 2017 season is that same 2 seasons past Alabama's FBS National Championship season of 2015. Alabama (today) ain't Auburn (today) & Mercer (today) ain't JaxSt (today), but do you REALLY want to be like one of those MORONS who was crowing about how the NATIONAL CHAMPION Auburn TIGERS would boat race the LOWLY FCS JaxSt Gamecocks, who had just finished in 3rd place in what many view as a weak FCS Conference & been blown out by almost 40 points by another FCS team, back then? Certainly, it's within your rights to be like them if you want to. Personally, I'll choose to say..."ANY GIVEN SATURDAY..." and leave it at that.

Look your heart out, I never said a damn thing about that game. Also Auburn wasn't the national champions that you're claiming so shut your mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Cats
January 30th, 2016, 11:21 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22163&stc=1

FUBeAR
January 30th, 2016, 01:25 PM
I never said a damn thing about that game.

You can "look your heart out" too. I never said that you did.

Also Auburn wasn't the national champions that you're claiming

Dang it - YOU ARE CORRECT. I said in another thread that I don't follow FBS Football very closely and I guess it shows. Auburn won the BCS Championship for the 2010 Season. That was the 'Cam Newton Season.' C'mon JSUSoutherner - you shoulda caught that earlier! xlolx

But (hopefully, I have it right this time), for the 2013 season, Auburn WAS the BCS Runner-Up, losing to FSU by 3 on a TD with 13 seconds left to play in the BCS National Championship Game.

So...Auburn was just 13 seconds from being BCS National Champions just 2 Seasons before they were almost beaten (if not for a shanked 17 yard punt with 1:05 to play and leading by a TD) by an FCS Jacksonville State Team that just 2 Seasons before had finished tied for 3rd place in what many have said is a weak FCS Conference and lost a game that season to another FCS/OVC Team by almost 40 points.

My apologies for my error, but I'm not sure that error really alters the scenario too, too much. So...I'll stick with my conclusion..."On ANY GIVEN SATURDAY..." and leave it at that.

so shut your mouth.

Oooooooh - I like role playing. You be the "internet message board tough guy" and I'll be the poor British orphan...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZrgxHvNNUc