December 14th, 2006, 08:41 PM
http://travisliles.com/sports/blog

BDKJMU
December 14th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Gee, I'm shocked!

smallcollegefbfan
December 14th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Ricky Santos wins the 2006 Walter Payton Award
Chattanooga, TN (Sports Network) - New Hampshire quarterback Ricky Santos was named the 20th winner of the Walter Payton Award Thursday at the Division I-AA College Football Awards held in Chattanooga, TN, on the eve of the NCAA Division I Football Championship title game.

Santos threw for 2,681 yards and 23 touchdowns and ran for 385 yards and 12 scores in the regular season, and directed a New Hampshire offense that threw for 249.6 yards per game and ranked third nationally with 36.5 ppg. Santos tossed only five interceptions all season, and led the Wildcats to the playoffs for the third consecutive season. Santos excelled in the first round of the postseason as well, as he threw for 318 yards and five touchdown passes to lead New Hampshire past Hampton, 41-38.

Santos got off to a fast start with five total touchdowns to lead New Hampshire to a 34-17 victory at Northwestern. He also notched five passing touchdowns in a win against Dartmouth, and exploded with five total touchdowns and 391 yards of total offense to lead the Wildcats to a 52-49 victory in a shootout against Delaware. He helped the Wildcats to a 5-0 start and the No. 1 ranking in the country for the first half of the season. Santos recorded 458 yards of total offense and five total touchdowns in a 36-35 loss in overtime at Northeastern, and continued to play well even while the Wildcats lost three out of four games. With his team's playoff fate on the line, Santos once again notched five total touchdowns to lead the Wildcats past Rhode Island, 63-21, and scored a pair of rushing touchdowns to lift New Hampshire to a playoff spot with a 19-13 victory in overtime over Maine. Only a junior, Santos completed the regular season with 9,796 passing yards, 93 touchdown passes and only 24 interceptions in his career, and then added six more touchdown passes in the playoffs.

After finishing second in the closet race in the history of the Payton Award a year ago, Santos received 20 first-place votes and 250 points from a panel of 112 I-AA/FCS sports information directors and selected media to narrowly win the 2006 Walter Payton Award. Northern Arizona quarterback Jason Murrietta was close behind with 17 first-place votes and 238 points. Southern Illinois running back Arkee Whitlock finished third with 11 first-place votes and 199 points, with Youngstown State's Marcus Mason in a close fourth with 19 first- place votes and 195 points.

The Walter Payton Award was established in 1987 by The Sports Network.

2006 WALTER PAYTON AWARD VOTING

NAME (SCHOOL) 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Total

Ricky Santos (New Hampshire) 20 15 16 17 8 250

Jason Murrietta (Northern Arizona) 17 16 14 20 7 238

Arkee Whitlock (Southern Illinois) 11 14 20 10 8 199

Marcus Mason (Youngstown State) 19 10 11 7 13 195

David Ball (New Hampshire) 10 13 9 9 7 154

Josh Johnson (San Diego) 9 9 6 7 14 127

Tyler Thigpen (Coastal Carolina) 3 6 8 3 8 77

Justise Hairston (Cent. Conn. State)6 4 3 5 10 75

Clifton Dawson (Harvard) 4 4 5 2 8 63

Steve Baylark (Massachusetts) 3 6 2 4 8 61

Pierre Rembert (Illinois State) 1 5 6 6 4 59

Kevin Richardson (Appalachian State)2 4 5 4 4 53

Steve Walker (North Dakota State) 4 1 3 3 5 44

Justin Rascati (James Madison) 2 2 1 8 4 41

Jerome Felton (Furman) 1 1 2 4 2 25

D.D. Terry (Sam Houston State) 0 2 1 3 2 19

MR. CHICKEN
December 14th, 2006, 08:49 PM
AN' TA THINK....HE WASN'T EVEN NAMED TA DUH...ASSOCIATED PRESS..I-AA....ALL-AMERICAN TEAM.......: smh :

FIRST TEAM........THIGPEN..........COASTAL CAROLINA
SECOND TEAM....MURRIETTA......NORFFERN ARIZONA
THIRD TEAM.......JOHNSON.........SAN DIEGO.........................BRAWK!

texcap
December 14th, 2006, 08:58 PM
AN' TA THINK....HE WASN'T EVEN NAMED TA DUH...ASSOCIATED PRESS..I-AA....ALL-AMERICAN TEAM.......: smh :

It must be that East Coast bias thing kicking in.

I have to admitthe voting for the Payton was a lot closer than I thought it would be.

Sam Adams
December 14th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Hilarious. This award has become a joke.

UNHWildCats
December 14th, 2006, 09:04 PM

Why because Baylark didnt win?

ngineer
December 14th, 2006, 09:24 PM
First, I agree with Santos selection. He's a superb talent. Also interesting that the great passing QB's don't always end up with championship teams. It's the teams that are able to balance the attack with a good run game and a strong defense. While throwing for 300, 400 yards a game is impressive and entertaining, it rarely wins championships in college or in the NFL.

MR. CHICKEN
December 14th, 2006, 09:34 PM
First, I agree with Santos selection. He's a superb talent. Also interesting that the great passing QB's don't always end up with championship teams. It's the teams that are able to balance the attack with a good run game and a strong defense. While throwing for 300, 400 yards a game is impressive and entertaining, it rarely wins championships in college or in the NFL.

YOU SIR...ARE UH.....:nod:...SAGE!

bobbythekidd
December 14th, 2006, 09:49 PM

Sorry Mr. Chicken,

This award is based on the player that has the most impact in the FCS. Who cares what the (AP) thinks, they don't know $h!t about FCS.

Look at this..(thanks Travis)
"The Walter Payton award is presented annually to the most outstanding offensive player in the Football Championship Subdivision. Santos finished a close second last season, and will come back in 2007 attempting another win.

Santos is on pace to challenge many NCAA career records and has set numerous school records in his junior season."

That being said... He still has an additional year to make his mark. He is on the edge of several records, both school, and (I-AA, FCS).

I have never read that the player in the running must be on a team in the playoffs, or a Championship Team.

To those who contest this decision... "Why NOT Santos?"

UMass922
December 14th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Can't argue with the Santos selection. Murietta would have been very deserving as well. The guy I liked a lot, though, was Mason--but missing two games probably killed his chances.

MACHIAVELLI
December 14th, 2006, 10:26 PM

I agree.

Congrats to #2

blackfordpu
December 14th, 2006, 10:30 PM
I agree

I agree with your agreence. :nod: xlolx

Old Cat Fan
December 14th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Agree or disagree how bout a simple CONGRATULATIONS.

WSBE
December 14th, 2006, 10:43 PM

Sam Adams....are you serious? Your comments aren't even rationale...you honestly make me NOT want to participate on this board. Please, please explain why Santos is not arguably the best offensive player in FCS?...& please explain why the award "has become a joke". If there is one thing that we should boast about is the ultimate success of WPA winners (Tony Romo, Brian Westbrook, Adrian Peterson, Jerry Azumah, Brian Finneran, Steve McNair, Jamie Martin, John Friesz, Dave Meggett)....look at some of those QBs....& where was the East Coast bias last year when Meyer won from Eastern Washington? What will be your argument when (Bruce Eugene aside) Santos surpasses almost every record in BCS/FCS for TD passes & Total TD's next year?

Retro
December 14th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I felt Murrietta was more derserving if you consider his supporting cast vs santos's, but Santos is still a good choice though..

That being said, please no one bring up what players who win this go on to do or not do in the NFL.. This award has absolutely nothing to do with a player's pro possibilities are.. If some people vote based on that, then they are idiots..
It should be as it has been for the most part, the best offensive player in I-AA/CS for that year and not career totals either..:twocents:

MACHIAVELLI
December 14th, 2006, 11:03 PM
That being said, please no one bring up what players who win this go on to do or not do in the NFL.. This award has absolutely nothing to do with a player's pro possibilities are.. If some people vote based on that, then they are idiots..
It should be as it has been for the most part, the best offensive player in I-AA/CS for that year and not career totals either..

I agree.

skinny_uncle
December 14th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I personally feel QBs and RBs need separate awards. It is too hard to compare them. Payton was a running back. I was pulling for Whitlock. His performance down the stretch was phenomenal. I guess he will have to settle for his various All-American awards.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2006, 11:19 PM
I can't believe this is even a debate.

Santos beat Northwestern of the Big 10, and beat four teams that spent time in the Top 25.

Murietta's best win was against Idaho State as the Lumberjacks squeaked to a 6-5 record with three conference losses.

Whitlock certainly has a case, but his best games came near the end of the year, especially against EIU... when voting closed.

LeopardFan04
December 14th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Congrats to Santos and UNH...

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 14th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Congratulations, Ricky! You are the most exciting player in 1-AA/FCS and you richly deserve this award! UNH Nation is universally proud of all you have done! Thank you and David Ball (#5 finisher in WP) for putting UNH at the very top of the class in the nation over the last 3 years. Continued success to you & your teammates! Can't wait to enjoy your magic in 2007!
:hurray: :thumbsup: :hurray: :thumbsup: :hurray: :thumbsup: :hurray: :thumbsup:

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 15th, 2006, 12:42 AM
I am sure that the answer is easy to find, just not for me...

Has a Junior ever won the Payton Award before? And, if so, has there ever been a two-time winner of the award? Obviously, Santos now has that opportunity. He actually lost the 2005 race (his sophomore season)by the the closest margin ever or he would have had a shot a a 3-peat. Thanks for the replies and updates. :thumbsup:

UNHWildCats
December 15th, 2006, 07:57 AM

Has a Junior ever won the Payton Award before? And, if so, has there ever been a two-time winner of the award? Obviously, Santos now has that opportunity. He actually lost the 2005 race (his sophomore season)by the the closest margin ever or he would have had a shot a a 3-peat. Thanks for the replies and updates. :thumbsup:

Theres never been a repeat winner. New Hampshire became just the fourth school to have multiple winners joing Villanova, Idaho and Colgate. Past winners are

Year Player School
1987 Kenny Gamble Colgate
1988 Dave Meggett Towson
1989 John Friesz Idaho
1990 Walter Dean Grambling
1991 Jamie Martin Weber State
1992 Michael Payton Marshall
1993 Doug Nussmeier Idaho
1994 Steve McNair Alcorn State Sr
1995 Dave Dickenson Montana Sr
1996 Archie Amerson Northern Arizona
1997 Brian Finneran Villanova Sr
1998 Jerry Azumah New Hampshire Sr
1999 Adrian Peterson Georgia Southern So
2000 Louis Ivory Furman Jr
2001 Brian Westbrook Villanova Sr
2002 Tony Romo Eastern Illinois Sr
2003 Jamaal Branch Colgate Jr
2004 Lang Campbell William & Mary Sr
2005 Erik Meyer Eastern Washington Sr
2006 Ricky Santos New Hampshire Jr

Peterson was the first sophomore to ever win the award

WSBE
December 15th, 2006, 08:41 AM
I felt Murrietta was more derserving if you consider his supporting cast vs santos's, but Santos is still a good choice though..

It should be as it has been for the most part, the best offensive player in I-AA/CS for that year and not career totals either..:twocents:

You missed the point.....In defense of "THIS AWARD HAS BECOME A JOKE", I think it's fair to reference that winners of the award have succeeded at the next level. Why would you be more defensive of referencing past winners vs. the comments from SAM ADAMS??

UMass922
December 15th, 2006, 08:46 AM
You missed the point.....In defense of "THIS AWARD HAS BECOME A JOKE", I think it's fair to reference that winners of the award have succeeded at the next level.

Depends on what they mean when they say the award has become a joke. They may perfectly agree that Payton winners have been good, successful football players, while feeling that something else is wrong about the way the award has been given out lately. I still don't know what that something is, though, since none of those who have called it a "joke" have explained exactly what they mean . . .

andy7171
December 15th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Congratualtions to Santos and UNH!
How can Santos win the award, deservedly so, but not make the AP All-American team?
WTF!?!

BTW, Tony Vinson was robbed in 1993!

dwtime
December 15th, 2006, 09:10 AM

A translation of 'I drink too many' Sam Adams's comment: "Anybody giving ANY credit to ANYBODY from UNH is a joke". xidiotx

CCU97
December 15th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Congrats to Santos and to UNH! In no way is the award a joke as has been refered to by others on the board. The problem is that it is very similar to the heisman in that a player coming from a small school with minimal publicity even if the better player would never stand a chance. That is not the case in this particular year...but that could be the logic used against the award. Both All-American award teams have their issues as well...you have people voting on others that they have never seen play and only go by what they have heard from others...I am proud that Thigpen made first team on both but can see the argument that stats aren't everything.

bodoyle
December 15th, 2006, 09:47 AM
I think the fact that Thig made BOTH the coaches and media First-team all-american team as QB - while QB Santos takes home the Payton - shows clearly that's it's a Lifetime acheivement award as opposed to who was the best player THIS SEASON.

lizrdgizrd
December 15th, 2006, 10:08 AM
I think the fact that Thig made BOTH the coaches and media First-team all-american team as QB - while QB Santos takes home the Payton - shows clearly that's it's a Lifetime acheivement award as opposed to who was the best player THIS SEASON.
It wouldn't have anything to do with who the stats were compiled against would it? Nah.

Congratulations Santos & UNH! :hurray:

UMass922
December 15th, 2006, 10:17 AM

As has already been mentioned in this thread, if the Payton voters really wanted to give out a "lifetime acheivement award," they could have done much better than Santos. Seniors like David Ball, Clifton Dawson, and Steve Baylark, among others, would have been much better choices for such an award than Santos, a Junior.

andy7171
December 15th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Holy crap! So like SanDiego fans if your guy didn't win the Walter Payton award you cry like a baby about it? He led his team to an 8-3 recordwith a I-A victory. Only one person wins the award. I bet if someone else won, UNH fans would be b!tching and crying.
get over it already, it's just an award!

bodoyle
December 15th, 2006, 10:23 AM
So then why did Santos have better stats last year, alongwith his teammate, Ball, and neither won the award? Other then the fact that neither were seniors, thus blowing the Lifetime Achievement Award Theory to hell?

7171: I am n ot saying Thig should have won it. I am saying Santos shouldn't have. He didn't deserve it, neither did Ball, or Whitlock

bodoyle
December 15th, 2006, 10:24 AM
It wouldn't have anything to do with who the stats were compiled against would it? Nah.

Congratulations Santos & UNH! :hurray:

Thig kicked Sanots' ass in stats but that doesn't matter. xlolx

CoastalFan2005
December 15th, 2006, 10:25 AM
...get over it already, it's just an award!

I doubt that argument can be made. The Heisman isn't "just an award." Neither is this. :twocents:

andy7171
December 15th, 2006, 10:26 AM
So enlighten us, who wins the BODOYLE AWARD this year?

andy7171
December 15th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I doubt that argument can be made. The Heisman isn't "just an award." Neither is this. :twocents:
OK, I give. What else is it?

The Heisman is an MVP award in college football.
The Payton Award is the MVP for I-AA football.

Nothing more, nothing less.

CoastalFan2005
December 15th, 2006, 10:36 AM
OK, I give. What else is it?

The Heisman is an MVP award in college football.
The Payton Award is the MVP for I-AA football.

Nothing more, nothing less.

You know what I meant by the post. Neither award is just a "shiny piece of plastic." Both awards have more implied meaning behind them than can simply be dismissed by saying "it's just an award." If they were that unimportant, why give them out? xcoffeex

UNHWildCats
December 15th, 2006, 10:40 AM

I'd hardly say Thigpen kicked his ass, and last time I checked Thigpen didnt decimate the defense of a Big Ten team either not to mention New Hampshire's tougher overall schedule.

Ricky Santos

250-366 2681 yards 23 TD 5 Int

126 rushes 391 yards 12 TD

Tyler Thigpen

193-298 2945 yards 26 TD 11 Int

113 rushes 633 yards 4 TD

CoastalFan2005
December 15th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Ricky Santos

250-366 2681 yards 23 TD 5 Int

126 rushes 391 yards 12 TD

Tyler Thigpen

193-298 2945 yards 26 TD 11 Int

113 rushes 633 yards 4 TD

Your stats for Thig are off slightly. Since I compiled this last night out of curiosity, I'll post it here. I copied & pasted this info from the CCU and UNH athletics websites.

Tyler Thigpen 2006:

RUSHING
GP: 12
Att: 113
Gain: 780
Loss: 124
Net: 656
Avg: 5.8
TD: 5
Long: 76
Avg/G: 54.7

PASSING
Effic: 167.4
Cmp-Att-Int: 217-339-11
Pct: 64.0
Yards: 3296
TD: 29
Long: 80
Avg/G: 274.7

TOTAL OFFENSE
Plays: 452
Rush: 656
Pass: 3296
Total: 3952
Avg/G: 329.3

Ricky Santos 2006:

RUSHING
GP: 13
Att: 150
Gain: 614
Loss: 230
Net: 384
Avg: 2.6
TD: 12
Long: 27
Avg/G: 29.5

PASSING
Effic: 147.50
Att-Cmp-Int: 432-293-7
Pct: 67.8
Yds: 3125
Lng: 43
Avg/G: 240.4

TOTAL OFFENSE
G: 13
Plays: 582
Rush: 384
Pass: 3125
Total: 3509
Avg/G: 269.9

There...now we have a little better basis of comparison if we're going to talk stats. :)

UMass922
December 15th, 2006, 10:47 AM
CoastalFan2005, your revised stats seem to include each player's stats from the playoff games. If I'm not mistaken, the Payton voting is conducted prior to the start of the playoffs.

UNHWildCats
December 15th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Your stats for Thig are off slightly. Since I compiled this last night out of curiosity, I'll post it here. I copied & pasted this info from the CCU and UNH athletics websites.

Tyler Thigpen 2006:

RUSHING
Att: 113
Gain: 780
Loss: 124
Net: 656
Avg: 5.8
TD: 5
Long: 76
Avg/G: 54.7

PASSING
Effic: 167.4
Cmp-Att-Int: 217-339-11
Pct: 64.0
Yards: 3296
Long: 80
Avg/G: 274.7

TOTAL OFFENSE
Plays: 452
Rush: 656
Pass: 3296
Total: 3952
Avg/G: 329.3

Ricky Santos 2006:

RUSHING
Att: 150
Gain: 614
Loss: 230
Net: 384
Avg: 2.6
TD: 12
Long: 27
Avg/G: 29.5

PASSING
Effic: 147.50
Att-Cmp-Int: 432-293-7
Pct: 67.8
Yds: 3125
Lng: 43
Avg/G: 240.4

TOTAL OFFENSE
G: 13
Plays: 582
Rush: 384
Pass: 3125
Total: 3509
Avg/G: 269.9

There...now we have a little better basis of comparison if we're going to talk stats. :)

So go read up on the Payton award and you will see that its awarded based on REGULAR season, then u can take your stats and subtract his playoff stats from them and you will see that my stats are from the regular season.

CoastalFan2005
December 15th, 2006, 10:50 AM
CoastalFan2005, your revised stats seem to include each player's stats from the playoff games. If I'm not mistaken, the Payton voting is conducted prior to the start of the playoffs.

That's all the websites had available that I could fine. I didn't really have the time to edit them down by going game-by-game and taking out stats. The point of my post was to just to help provide a more comprehensive basis for comparison, since we're throwing around the word "stats" without actually showing a lot of them.

UNH 40
December 15th, 2006, 10:50 AM

How many top 25 teams did Thigpen compile his stats against. I believe it was two teams Furman and App. St. Santos compiled his against 5 top 25 teams and a big ten team that allowed just 17 points to Michigan. He is the best player in the country period end of story.

CoastalFan2005
December 15th, 2006, 10:51 AM
So go read up on the Payton award and you will see that its awarded based on REGULAR season, then u can take your stats and subtract his playoff stats from them and you will see that my stats are from the regular season.

Once again - the main purpose of posting the stats was to provide a little better basis for comparison, since we're throwing around the word "stats" without showing a lot of them...

UNHWildCats
December 15th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Once again - the main purpose of posting the stats was to provide a little better basis for comparison, since we're throwing around the word "stats" without showing a lot of them...

The stats dont really mean much unless you take into consideration level of competition.

If we dont use competition in the equation then San Diego was the #1 seed and Josh Johnson was the Heisman!

UMass922
December 15th, 2006, 10:57 AM
If the point is to debate which player is more Payton-worthy (and maybe it's not), it's important to compare only the regular-season stats. And what I see is five more total touchdowns for Santos and six fewer interceptions. Thigpen has more rushing yards and a better yards-per-pass-attempt average. If the point of comparing the stats is to show that Thigpen's are superior (and maybe it's not), then I just don't see it.

Col Hogan
December 15th, 2006, 11:02 AM
How many top 25 teams did Thigpen compile his stats against. I believe it was two teams Furman and App. St. Santos compiled his against 5 top 25 teams and a big ten team that allowed just 17 points to Michigan. He is the best player in the country period end of story.

UNH Fans...stop trying to argue with folks who are sore losers...you can't win.

CONGRATS to Santos..the best player won the award. And to his team, because we all know there's no I in team, and he had an outstanding supporting cast to help.

CoastalFan2005
December 15th, 2006, 11:06 AM
If the point is to debate which player is more Payton-worthy (and maybe it's not), it's important to compare only the regular-season stats. And what I see is five more total touchdowns for Santos and six fewer interceptions. Thigpen has more rushing yards and a better yards-per-pass-attempt average. If the point of comparing the stats is to show that Thigpen's are superior (and maybe it's not), then I just don't see it.

Once more - my only point was to help provide a little more basis for comparison to help us discuss the topic. They were NOT to try and say that Ricky Santos should not have won the award, which is what it seems it is being percieved that I am trying to say. I've said more than once in more than one thread on the topic that my intent was not to try and say that Santos should not have won.

I'm sorry my stats weren't 100% correct the very first time I posted them - next time I'll know not to attempt to add anything to the conversation. The post has been deleted.

November 20, 2006:

Football's Thigpen, Bennett Finalists for National Honors

Thigpen has been a standout for the Chanticleers in the Big South Conference and is the league's first-ever nominee for the prestigious award. This season, Thigpen ranks second in I-AA in total offense at 325.3 yards per game, fourth in passing yards at 267.7 ypg and passer rating (169.86). He set new league records for total offense (3,578 - the first ever in league history to surpass 3,000 yards in a season), passing yards (2,945), passing touchdowns (26), passer rating and rushing yards by a quarterback (633). He led the Chanticleers to a 9-2 mark, their third consecutive Big South title and the program's first-ever berth in the NCAA Division I Football Championship, while pacing an offense that ranked second in total offense (470.18 ypg), fourth in passing offense (279.82 ypg) and 19th in rushing offense (190.36), while he ranks in the top eight in 14 different career offensive categories in the Big South.

11/21/2006:

RICKY SANTOS NAMED A-10 CO-OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR

...The junior signal caller enters this weekend’s NCAA Division I Football Championship opening round contest at Hampton ranked in the top 10 nationally in completions (22.7 pg, fourth), total offense (278.7 ypg., sixth) and passing yards (2,681, seventh). One of 16 candidates for the Walter Payton Award, his 23 TDs through the air is tops in the Atlantic 10 and his 12 rushing TDs was No. 1 in the conference. Santos , who had four 300-yard passing performances, shared the Award with University of Massachusetts running back Steve Baylark, who leads the conference in rushing yardage (1,308) and was second behind Santos with 10 rushing touchdowns. ...

bodoyle
December 15th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Last time I checked Northwestern didn't deserve to be in the Big10.

Here are the stats I have.

Passing:
S - 2996
T - 3296
Difference - 300 yards

Rushing:
S - 447
T - 656
Difference - 209 yards

TD/Int:
S - 28/6
T - 29/11
Difference - +1/-5

QB Rating:
S - 147.5
T - 167.423
Difference - 19.923

Comp %:
S - 67.82%
T - 64.01%
Difference - -3.81%

Rushing YPC:
S - 3.2
T - 5.8
Difference - 2.6

Rushing TD:
S - 12
T - 5
Difference - -7

Avg YPC:
S - 10.81
T - 15.18
Difference - 4.37

bodoyle
December 15th, 2006, 11:14 AM
The stats I compiled were the regular season plus one playoff game so both players had the same amount of games played.

Cobblestone
December 15th, 2006, 11:17 AM
I think it was a toss up between Santos, Ball or Baylark. I'm glad an A-10 guy won it.

UNHWildCats
December 15th, 2006, 11:19 AM
AGAIN the stats you posted dont reflect those used by the voter who vote BEFORE the playoffs. The stats i provided are from the regular season only.

Northwestern held Michigan to 17 points. Regardless of how good or bad they might be they still represent a tougher opponent then Coastal Carolina beat all season, Then take into account that Santos produced stats against the likes of James Madison, Massachusetts, Maine and Richmond all top tier teams in the Atlantic 10 while Coastal played the likes of Savannah State and VMI hardly comparable oppositions to proiduce your stats against.

andy7171
December 15th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Still waiting for the BODOYLE Award to be announced.

bodoyle
December 15th, 2006, 12:02 PM
AGAIN the stats you posted dont reflect those used by the voter who vote BEFORE the playoffs. The stats i provided are from the regular season only.

Northwestern held Michigan to 17 points. Regardless of how good or bad they might be they still represent a tougher opponent then Coastal Carolina beat all season, Then take into account that Santos produced stats against the likes of James Madison, Massachusetts, Maine and Richmond all top tier teams in the Atlantic 10 while Coastal played the likes of Savannah State and VMI hardly comparable oppositions to proiduce your stats against.

And northwestern beat Iowa Iowa who beat
Iowa St who beat Missouri who beat Mississippi who beat Vanderbilt who beat Georgia so does that mean that UNH would beat Georgia? Don't think so.

UNHWildCats
December 15th, 2006, 12:04 PM
And northwestern beat Iowa Iowa who beat
Iowa St who beat Missouri who beat Mississippi who beat Vanderbilt who beat Georgia so does that mean that UNH would beat Georgia? Don't think so.

I wasnt trying to say UNH would.

My point was that NORTHWESTERN isnt a HORRIBLE team like some of the teams Coastal has played!

bodoyle
December 15th, 2006, 12:04 PM
7171: My Award would go to Kevin Richardson. App St RB

173 against furple w/ 4 tds
156 against us
131 montana st w/ 4 tds
145 ytown w/ 2 tds

yes I know the award is given out before the playoffs which is stupid. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :nonono2:

bodoyle
December 15th, 2006, 12:08 PM
I wasnt trying to say UNH would.

My point was that NORTHWESTERN isnt a HORRIBLE team like some of the teams Coastal has played!

Northwestern isn't horrible?

They are not better then 51st nationally in any statistic

Hell Indiana is better then that. The are Top 50 in 3 different categories, and Top 30 in 2.

WoOhOo...:deadhorse: again. CCU tried to get out of the Mansfield (last year) and Sav St (this year)games and they would not let us.

andy7171
December 15th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Interesting choice.
You would vote for a RB who only rushed for 1065 yards in 11 games and had only 5 hundred yard games on the season. Take him off the team, do they lose more than they won? BBBZZZZZZTTTTT! Now take Santos off UNH, do they win or lose without him? DING DING DING!! That is how you determine an MVP. And the reason they don't include post season stats in Payton voting is because only 16 teams go on. If you compare stats, you should have equal stats to compare.
There is a portion of my mind that thinks you said Richardson because ASU fans would side with you in the conversation.

<<no offense to Richardson as a player or a RB, he has exploded in the playoffs. In no way am I demeaning him or what he has accomplished. I don't want to rile up ASU fans anymore than they are today>>

lizrdgizrd
December 15th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Interesting choice.
You would vote for a RB who only rushed for 1065 yards in 11 games and had only 5 hundred yard games on the season. Take him off the team, do they lose more than they won? BBBZZZZZZTTTTT! Now take Santos off UNH, do they win or lose without him? DING DING DING!! That is how you determine an MVP. And the reason they don't include post season stats in Payton voting is because only 16 teams go on. If you compare stats, you should have equal stats to compare.
There is a portion of my mind that thinks you said Richardson because ASU fans would side with you in the conversation.

<<no offense to Richardson as a player or a RB, he has exploded in the playoffs. In no way am I demeaning him or what he has accomplished. I don't want to rile up ASU fans anymore than they are today>>
No worries about Richardson. He didn't deserve the Payton. He's still a great RB and we'll keep him! :)

I think the problem with the CCU folks is they are falling into the same trap as the USD folks were before the playoffs. SOS counts. :read:

Lafayette71
December 15th, 2006, 12:53 PM
I can't see how anyone can get that fired up about this selection. I haven't seen any reasonable statistical evidence that Santos is any less deserving than the other candidates. Unlike the BS division MVP, there is far less campaigning or other external pressures on the voting process. Thus the voters are able to rely on their first hand knowledge of the candidates and the statistics. My opinion is that Santos's performance this season, considering the quality of the opposition, puts him first among the available chioces. Is there an east coast bias because the voters judge the UNH schedule to be tougher than that of some of the other candidates? I would argue no.

Lafayette71
December 15th, 2006, 12:55 PM
CCU tried to get out of the Mansfield (last year) and Sav St (this year)games and they would not let us.

Is that D-II Mansfield PA?

andy7171
December 15th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I can't see how anyone can get that fired up about this selection. I haven't seen any reasonable statistical evidence that Santos is any less deserving than the other candidates. Unlike the BS division MVP, there is far less campaigning or other external pressures on the voting process. Thus the voters are able to rely on their first hand knowledge of the candidates and the statistics. My opinion is that Santos's performance this season, considering the quality of the opposition, puts him first among the available chioces. Is there an east coast bias because the voters judge the UNH schedule to be tougher than that of some of the other candidates? I would argue no.
I agree with you. If the Payton award voting was as political as the Heisman, Santos and Ball would have split the vote, resulting in neither winning.

bodoyle
December 15th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Interesting choice.

UNH lost with santos 4 times. App St lost 1 time with Richardson

bodoyle
December 15th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Interesting choice.

I dont like App St. Why would I care if their fans sided with me or not?

bodoyle
December 15th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Is that D-II Mansfield PA?

Yes it is

WSBE
December 15th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Hey Andy7171.....you make a lot of sense on your posts

by the way, speaking of inpressive QBs...I watched that Schaefer kid play & was very impressed. What year is he?

andy7171
December 15th, 2006, 01:11 PM
If you are going to refuse to listen to reason, then I give up.

andy7171
December 15th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Hey Andy7171.....you make a lot of sense on your posts

by the way, speaking of inpressive QBs...I watched that Schaefer kid play & was very impressed. What year is he?
Thanks, I feel like I'm beating my head against the wall going back and forth with bodoyle.
He's a sophomore.
He's going to own all the Towson QB records when its all over with.

UNHWildCats
December 15th, 2006, 01:16 PM
UNH lost with santos 4 times. App St lost 1 time with Richardson

So Santos lost twice to the team playing for the National Championship by a TD both games and both games had stops inside the 10 to end the game.

art vandelay
December 15th, 2006, 01:29 PM
i would just like to point out this about the stats. thigpen mite have better yards per pass but what does that really say about him. if old thiggy throughs a screan and it goes for 25 yards all he really did was throw a five yard pass into a well set up play. just my :twocents: .

bodoyle
December 15th, 2006, 01:41 PM
If you are going to refuse to listen to reason, then I give up.

what am i not listening to?

you asked who i thought deserved it, and i told you.

without him, yuo have armanti in the backfield as a freshman. you cant tell me kevin richardson didn't help out.

Husky Alum
December 15th, 2006, 01:48 PM
And Don Brown didn't think Santos was worthy of a scholarship at Northeastern....

CoastalFan2005
December 15th, 2006, 01:58 PM
I think the problem with the CCU folks is they are falling into the same trap as the USD folks were before the playoffs. SOS counts. :read:

So...bodoyle counts as more than one person?

lizrdgizrd
December 15th, 2006, 02:19 PM
So...bodoyle counts as more than one person?
Well, I'm not sure how big he is so, maybe. :eyebrow:

Must have been that 3 in a row posts flurry that made me think it was more than one. xlolx

CoastalFan2005
December 15th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Well, I'm not sure how big he is so, maybe. :eyebrow:

Must have been that 3 in a row posts flurry that made me think it was more than one. xlolx

xlolx xlolx xlolx

:bow: :thumbsup:

Cobblestone
December 15th, 2006, 02:27 PM
And Don Brown didn't think Santos was worthy of a scholarship at Northeastern....

Maybe he'd like some hot sauce to go with his crow?
:pumpuke:

bodoyle
December 15th, 2006, 02:35 PM
hey hey hey hey hey hey hey

I am not that big. 6'3" 220. I am linebacker size.:nod:

bodoyle
December 15th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I didnt make 3 posts in a row. I hate it when people don't put everything in one post. xlolx

blueballs
December 15th, 2006, 03:49 PM

Peterson won the Payton in 1999 as a sophmore and finished in the top 3 all four years.

Jackluv
December 15th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I can't believe this is even a debate.

Santos beat Northwestern of the Big 10, and beat four teams that spent time in the Top 25.

Murietta's best win was against Idaho State as the Lumberjacks squeaked to a 6-5 record with three conference losses.

Whitlock certainly has a case, but his best games came near the end of the year, especially against EIU... when voting closed.

u can easily tell the voters wanted Murrieta to get it...but its a fact...NAU didnt make the playoffs ...and Ricky had a great regular season plus a great playoff run

congrats to a great player

kardplayer
December 15th, 2006, 04:46 PM
When comparing stats you also need to look at how they performed in "tough games" to see how they did against the best teams they faced:

In alpha order

Murrietta
at Montana 16 for 32, 93 yards, 1 TD (Loss)
vs. Montana State 23 for 39, 286, 2 TD (Loss)
vs. Portland State 30 for 47, 231, 3 (Loss)

Santos
at Northwestern, 18-24, 206 2 TD's, 34 rushing, 3 TD's (win)
vs. UMass 35-55, 383 2 TD's (loss)
vs. James Madison 34-46, 352, 1 TD (loss)
at Maine 18-31, 156, 0 TD passing, 34 rushing yards, 2 TD's rushing (win)

Thigpen
vs. Furman 21-33, 274, 3 TD, 57 rushing, 1 Rushing TD (win)
at. Wofford 13-20, 288, 3 TD, 94 rushing, 1 TD (win)

Murrietta falls out of the discussion here as Santos and Thigpen both put up good numbers in the games against good teams, while he, for the most part, did not (at least comparably).

I think the problem for Thigpen was that the rest of his games were against not so strong teams, while most of Santos' were against moderately strong teams (and certainly much stronger by comparison).

Peems
December 15th, 2006, 05:52 PM
When comparing stats you also need to look at how they performed in "tough games" to see how they did against the best teams they faced:

In alpha order

Murrietta

Santos

Thigpen

Murrietta falls out of the discussion here as Santos and Thigpen both put up good numbers in the games against good teams, while he, for the most part, did not (at least comparably).

I think the problem for Thigpen was that the rest of his games were against not so strong teams, while most of Santos' were against moderately strong teams (and certainly much stronger by comparison).

His numbers vs. MSU and PSU werent that bad, but the game against the griz cost him. if he could of put up a little better numbers in that and won that game i believe he might of won the payton.

aust42
December 15th, 2006, 06:01 PM
I agree.
It should be as it has been for the most part, the best offensive player in I-AA/CS for that year and not career totals either..

Looking at the past winners success in the NFL only validates that the Payton award is "prestigious". I would hope that the best offensive player in the 1-AA/CS IS not only a Pro Prospect, but would be successful at the pro level. Otherwise the award would be a joke. I think Ricky Santos will be one of those successful players at the next level. Congrats to him!

Tubby Raymond
December 15th, 2006, 06:30 PM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH, they didn't win because thier defense sucked, plain and simple:bang:

MACHIAVELLI
December 15th, 2006, 09:56 PM

Line of Scrimmage: Week 8 - Romo Gets His Shot
By Tony Moss, NFL Editor

It was December of 2002 when Ramiro and Joan Romo accompanied their son to Chattanooga, TN for the announcement of that year's winner of the Walter Payton Award, I-AA college football's equivalent of the Heisman Trophy.

Romo had just finished a terrific senior season at Eastern Illinois, and was one of three finalists invited to the site of that year's I-AA title game for the presentation of the award. It was actually the third time Romo had been up for the honor, having finished down the list of 16 candidates as a sophomore and junior. This time, the quarterback was a serious contender, and attended the ceremony with his family and a couple of coaches in tow. The other finalists were also quarterbacks, Villanova's diminutive superstar Brett Gordon and his physical opposite, refrigerator box-sized Bruce Eugene of Grambling. Romo was the better pure quarterback and had posted the better overall career (Eugene was just a sophomore at that point), but Gordon had probably had the better season and had faced stiffer competition.

(can't find the link to the article)

kardplayer
December 15th, 2006, 10:10 PM
His numbers vs. MSU and PSU werent that bad, but the game against the griz cost him. if he could of put up a little better numbers in that and won that game i believe he might of won the payton.

Agreed, they weren't that bad - but among the 3 guys, his three games were statistically amongst the bottom 4 games of those I listed. Only Santos' stats in the game against Maine were worse, although the win for UNH in that game makes them a little better.

Coastal89
December 15th, 2006, 10:30 PM

In alpha order

Murrietta

Santos

Thigpen

I know the voting doesn't take playoff games into account, but here are Thigpen's numbers against App. St. BTW, no one else came close to this against the champs this season.

Tyler Thigpen 24-41-351-1int 3TDs 9-23yds rushing 1TD

ereiz03
December 15th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Quick question....who in the Top 10 will be back next season? (I know Josh Johnson will obviously) Thanks guys.

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2006, 08:31 AM
congrats to Santos. He's a great guy.

bodoyle
December 16th, 2006, 11:14 AM
u can easily tell the voters wanted Murrieta to get it...but its a fact...NAU didnt make the playoffs ...and Ricky had a great regular season plus a great playoff run

congrats to a great player

a great playoff run??

444 yards passing 6td 2int -7 yards rushing.:eek:

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 16th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Disregarding who actually won or should have won the WP Award, is anyone else out there more than a little disappointed and dismayed that ESPN chose not to even mention the Award -- much less show a clip of the 3 finalists and the announcement of the winner -- at any point during last night's telecast?

I guess Rod Gilmore's inane discussion of the BCS -- again -- was more newsworthy and relevant to the FCS Championship game. Congrats, ASU. Great season, UMASS!

AggiePride
December 17th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Congrats UNH and Santos. A most deserving player.

I like the stats for Santos better anyways. Regardless of SOS if it were between the two mentioned QB's. I do think previous seasons do come in to play when there is not an clear "record breaking" nominee in the mix though, and do not entirely disagree.