PDA

View Full Version : Could the MEAC & SWAC declare themselves FBS?

PAllen
January 25th, 2016, 12:04 PM
So they now play for a Bowl game spot not the Championship. ESPN is marketing the bowl they play in as comparable to FBS bowls. Let's say they added a few scholarships (I honestly don't remember the FBS minimum) and they played their conference slates, one "classic" game against the other conference each, and a few FBS payout games. Would the NCAA really stand up to the potential backlash from Al and Jesse and company by trying to deny them declaring themselves FBS conferences? Would that then open the doors for others, MVFC/CAA bowl anyone?

SENOREIDA
January 25th, 2016, 12:07 PM
Yes, the NCAA would stand up. The SWAC and MEAC is a joke.

DFW HOYA
January 25th, 2016, 12:11 PM

Not sure how the NCAA could act as a restraint to trade if they met scholarship and minimum stadium requirements; besides, as long as the P5 are set, the G5 (or G7) aren't that important anymore,

clenz
January 25th, 2016, 12:13 PM
No.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 25th, 2016, 12:23 PM
1. As the rules stand now, they cannot simply add more scholarships and declare themselves FBS. The only way for each school to become FBS is to receive an invite to an existing FBS conference. And there is no path to make a Division I conference an FBS conference.

2. This wouldn't happen anyway because schools like Mississippi Valley State and Savannah State couldn't come close to offering 85 full counters for the team. It would cause a split in their own conferences.

3. FAMU, probably one of the most financially successful members of the MEAC, looked into competing in FBS, got about halfway there, and finally realized they it would cost them so much to get into compliance that they abandoned the move.

centennial
January 25th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Their recruiting/ funding is at a mid D2 level. When Delaware, JMU, NDSU cannot declare themselves as FBS, I don't expect the worst of FCS to do so.

DFW HOYA
January 25th, 2016, 12:49 PM
1. As the rules stand now, they cannot simply add more scholarships and declare themselves FBS. The only way for each school to become FBS is to receive an invite to an existing FBS conference. And there is no path to make a Division I conference an FBS conference..

Here are the requirements. Number 5 would be a deal breaker to a lot of HBCU's.

1. Sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity intercollegiate sports, including football, based on the minimum sports sponsorship and scheduling requirements set forth in Bylaw 20. Sponsorship shall include a minimum six ports involving all male teams or mixed teams (males and females), and a minimum of eight varsity intercollegiate teams involving all female teams. Institutions may use up to two emerging sports to satisfy the required eight varsity intercollegiate sports involving all female teams.

2. Schedule and play at least 60 percent of its football contests against members of Football Bowl Subdivision. Institutions shall schedule and play at least five regular season home contests against FBS opponents.

3. Average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football contests over a rolling two-year period.

4. Provide an average of at least 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of overall football grants-in-aid per year over a rolling two-year period.

5. Annually offer a minimum of 200 athletics grants-in-aid or expend at least four million dollars on grants-in-aid to student-athletes in athletics programs.

BisonFan02
January 25th, 2016, 12:54 PM
Why would they want to add the expense of FBS football when they already play in pre-determined bowl games? What would change?

walliver
January 25th, 2016, 12:59 PM
I can declare myself "Heavyweight Champion of the World" if I choose to, but the NCAA wouldn't recognize that.

There is really no reason for the SWAC and MEAC to move. They have a popular product which puts paying butts in seats. Adding 22 football scholarships (and 22 offsetting women's scholarships) wouldn't change much at all. Maybe more money for a money game, but otherwise the same product at higher cost. Some programs are already having financial problems as it is. SC State plays 3 FBS games this year (UCF, LaTech, and Clemson).

Lehigh Football Nation
January 25th, 2016, 01:05 PM
I can declare myself "Heavyweight Champion of the World" if I choose to, but the NCAA wouldn't recognize that.

There is really no reason for the SWAC and MEAC to move. They have a popular product which puts paying butts in seats. Adding 22 football scholarships (and 22 offsetting women's scholarships) wouldn't change much at all. Maybe more money for a money game, but otherwise the same product at higher cost. Some programs are already having financial problems as it is. SC State plays 3 FBS games this year (UCF, LaTech, and Clemson).

Let's go a step further. Removing scholarships to get to the D-II maximum would mean less money necessary to spend on compliance, and potentially could allow these schools the ability to fund a more sustainable level of sports ALSO wouldn't change much at all. The same folks would still watch the Celebration Bowl. You'd remove the possibility of big payday games and some money from the NCAA tournament, but you'd save a lot of money, too.

Not saying that would happen, but that argument could also be used to go the other direction.

clenz
January 25th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Let's go a step further. Removing scholarships to get to the D-II maximum would mean less money necessary to spend on compliance, and potentially could allow these schools the ability to fund a more sustainable level of sports ALSO wouldn't change much at all. The same folks would still watch the Celebration Bowl. You'd remove the possibility of big payday games and some money from the NCAA tournament, but you'd save a lot of money, too.

Not saying that would happen, but that argument could also be used to go the other direction.
Also wouldn't have to worry about the academic issues as much

RootinFerDukes
January 25th, 2016, 01:46 PM
If this were possible, the CAA would've been fbs at least a decade ago. Odu and umass would've never left.

RootinFerDukes
January 25th, 2016, 01:49 PM

Yep. Schools like sc state and Norfolk state are having such severe financial issues, they may have to close their doors soon.

ccd494
January 25th, 2016, 03:25 PM

Except that with the addition of the first four NCAA games in Dayton, they'd lose more than "some money." First Four games are considered "units" on par with every other game in the NCAA tournament. In 2015 Hampton won a game for the MEAC. In 2013, NC A&T won a game for the MEAC. in 2010, Arkansas Pine-Bluff won the play-in for the SWAC. In 2004, Florida A&M won one for the MEAC.

Each "unit" is now worth about $2M. If you go to the first four and lose, that's $2M for the conference. You go to the first four and win, you double it. As of 2014, 22% of the MEAC's annual conference revenue came from NCAA tournament payouts. It was 27% for the SWAC. https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/sports/ncaa-money/

1/5th+ of the conference's operating budget would vanish overnight if they dropped to D-II. True, the HBCUs don't really "fit" into the NCAA football model. But, we can all agree that is a horribly broken model anyways, so who is to blame them for not fitting in? Just let them do their thing. It doesn't affect the rest of FCS in any appreciable way, just like the Ivies don't affect it either. The NCAA needs to classify these schools somehow, plus it puts another 30 or so potential non-conference FCS opponents in the pool, AND they aren't at risk of taking your playoff spot. What's the crime?

Panther88
January 25th, 2016, 04:41 PM
Would the NCAA really stand up to the potential backlash from Al and Jesse and company by trying to deny them declaring themselves FBS conferences?

Why man? Why? You couldn't pretend to come up w/ a rational thought to substantiate occupying federal lands w/ weapon in tow? lol

Why don't you and others converse on ways to improve the d-1 fcs "tourney" product so that it gains some type of national appeal and notoriety besides those who are keyboard whore mongering. smh

-- The Southwestern Athletic Conference is the top attended football conference in the NCAA Div. I- Football Championship Subdivision(FCS).
-- SCG 2015 att [ 40,352 ] televised live on ESPNU played in an nfl venue
-- Celebration Bowl televised live on a non-cable nat'l tv station ABC w/ announced attendance of 35,528 played in an nfl venue

ASU33
January 27th, 2016, 10:58 AM
So they now play for a Bowl game spot not the Championship. ESPN is marketing the bowl they play in as comparable to FBS bowls. Let's say they added a few scholarships (I honestly don't remember the FBS minimum) and they played their conference slates, one "classic" game against the other conference each, and a few FBS payout games. Would the NCAA really stand up to the potential backlash from Al and Jesse and company by trying to deny them declaring themselves FBS conferences? Would that then open the doors for others, MVFC/CAA bowl anyone?

That train is always on time aint it?

dgtw
January 27th, 2016, 11:19 AM
March Madness is the big reason the bottom feeder programs stay in the FCS rather than drop to DII. The money they'd save by moving down would be more than cancelled out by losing out on basketball revenue. Plus they'd lose the money they now get from playing an FBS game (or two or three) every year.

BluBengal07
January 27th, 2016, 07:15 PM
such a flawed thread. baiting...xcoffeex

WileECoyote06
January 28th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Yep. Schools like sc state and Norfolk state are having such severe financial issues, they may have to close their doors soon.

Not true for either institution. Norfolk had their probation lifted and SCSU has a balanced budget for the first time in half a decade. Like many HBCUs and smaller colleges they've faced their darkest moments and survived. They aren't going anywhere.

Herder
January 28th, 2016, 04:44 PM
You mean, like the same way they declared that they were playing for the FCS championship? People who deceive that distort, declare all sorts of things. Declare away SWAC and MEAC.

Can they afford to add scholarships to actually be FBS? No way, the can barely afford to be FCS.

PAllen
January 29th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Not baiting at all. I saw SC State's schedule and had the thought. Realizing that the CAA would have done it if they could a long time ago, I thought of how it might work. The NCAA has a long history of caving to the demands of the NAACP, the Rainbow Coalition, and Al Sharpton. It is certainly feasible IMO to believe that if the NCAA tried to deny the MEAC and/or SWAC such a move, that those folks would get involved and play the race card fairly quickly. Add in some pressure from ESPN hoping to make the Celebration Bowl as big a deal as possible and one can easily see the NCAA folding and allow one or both to be declared FBS. Once that happened, it might open the door for others with such aspirations.

I was actually looking for others thoughts, and as some have pointed out, it might not be worth it for the MEAC and the SWAC to make such a move. Honest question, are most SWAC and MEAC supporters happy to be in their isolated enclave in FCS or would they rather be considered peers to the big boys in FBS (at least by label)?

bluehenbillk
January 29th, 2016, 10:38 AM
It's already been said in the thread - teams or leagues can NOT move up to FBS without an invite from an existing FBS conference.

FormerPokeCenter
January 29th, 2016, 10:48 AM
I've often thought they should have gone FBS...it would make more sense for their mission to be in FBS...particularly since they're not participating in the playoffs.

Same for the Ivy League teams...

DFW HOYA
January 29th, 2016, 10:56 AM
It's already been said in the thread - teams or leagues can NOT move up to FBS without an invite from an existing FBS conference.

So then, if the Sun Belt opts to become a 36 team conference...

Panther88
January 29th, 2016, 07:10 PM
Not baiting at all. I saw SC State's schedule and had the thought. Realizing that the CAA would have done it if they could a long time ago, I thought of how it might work. The NCAA has a long history of caving to the demands of the NAACP, the Rainbow Coalition, and Al Sharpton. It is certainly feasible IMO to believe that if the NCAA tried to deny the MEAC and/or SWAC such a move, that those folks would get involved and play the race card fairly quickly. Add in some pressure from ESPN hoping to make the Celebration Bowl as big a deal as possible and one can easily see the NCAA folding and allow one or both to be declared FBS. Once that happened, it might open the door for others with such aspirations.

I was actually looking for others thoughts, and as some have pointed out, it might not be worth it for the MEAC and the SWAC to make such a move. Honest question, are most SWAC and MEAC supporters happy to be in their isolated enclave in FCS or would they rather be considered peers to the big boys in FBS (at least by label)?

The spirit is strong in this one. lol Are you readying yourself to occupy a theatre and let off 1000 rounds whilst pretending to be batman? Passed by any elementary schools lately?

Sad. Sad. Sad.

number1
January 31st, 2016, 02:40 AM
You mean, like the same way they declared that they were playing for the FCS championship? People who deceive that distort, declare all sorts of things. Declare away SWAC and MEAC.

Can they afford to add scholarships to actually be FBS? No way, the can barely afford to be FCS.
Pretty sure it was clear they were playing for the Black College Championship.

kdinva
February 1st, 2016, 10:10 AM

But, since Tennessee St. is in the OVC, they'll never participate in that particular game, correct?

Lehigh Football Nation
February 1st, 2016, 10:28 AM
So then, if the Sun Belt opts to become a 36 team conference...

In theory they could, while the CAA would be prevented from allowing its members to go to 85 full scholarships and having its football competing in FBS. This is why the existing system is so insane.

Panther88
February 1st, 2016, 11:55 AM
But, since Tennessee St. is in the OVC, they'll never participate in that particular game, correct?

How could they when the format was SET during creation: MEAC vs SWAC.(?) Is "OVC" spelled "MEAC" or "SWAC?"

FTR, the HBOB just drew 63K+ fans and was streamed nationwide this past Saturday. Obviously what works for us, doesn't work for you xlolx .

"If a division-I FCS lol xlolx title game occurs in the forest of bohank billy-bob, tennahsee, would mainstream pro-FBS america even care?" Congratulations to the Division-I FBS University of Alabama Crimson Tide football team for whooping everyone's behind on the field for the national championship AND in the athletic coffers/attendance figures. :D

centennial
February 1st, 2016, 12:04 PM
How could they when the format was SET during creation: MEAC vs SWAC.(?) Is "OVC" spelled "MEAC" or "SWAC?"

FTR, the HBOB just drew 63K+ fans and was streamed nationwide this past Saturday. Obviously what works for us, doesn't work for you xlolx .

"If a division-I FCS lol xlolx title game occurs in the forest of bohank billy-bob, tennahsee, would mainstream pro-FBS america even care?" Congratulations to the Division-I FBS University of Alabama Crimson Tide football team for whooping everyone's behind on the field for the national championship AND in the athletic coffers/attendance figures. :D

You are comparing a social event to good football. Some of us watched the broadcast. We know that half the people in the stadium were hanging out by the food instead of being in their seats.

Panther88
February 1st, 2016, 02:24 PM
You are comparing a social event to good football. Some of us watched the broadcast. We know that half the people in the stadium were hanging out by the food instead of being in their seats.

Well, that's a lie. I wasn't comparing anything, from the outset. In order to compare, one would have to have some type of interest or caring. I have zilch, nada, none, null, nil, ZERO, ... in what conferences outside of MY conferences do post IC play and that includes the B1G.

You're welcome, in advance.

Herder
February 2nd, 2016, 07:38 AM

Historically, don't forget the historically. Ndsu won the FCS black football championship, and the white one too.

Panther88
February 2nd, 2016, 10:42 AM
Historically, don't forget the historically. Ndsu won the FCS black football championship, and the white one too.

We know what we're doing over here, herder. Stay in your lane and try focusing on trying to gain some semblance lol xlolx of national attention from the likes of 99.99% of mainstream america who is enthralled by the FAR GREATER & SUPERIOR FBS offering. The truth hurts us all. :D

WileECoyote06
February 2nd, 2016, 02:11 PM

The only reason they said that was because the game was between the #1 and #2 teams in most HBCU poll rankings. So this year's Celebration Bowl was for the Black College National Championship.

BisonFan02
February 2nd, 2016, 04:15 PM

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6108/6329644229_daa0c75b5f_b.jpg

jstate83
February 3rd, 2016, 07:31 AM
Lol.....I know JSU has mot even discussed this. Too much other stuff campus wide to finish. Building a 800 bed dorm complex and already need more on top of the dorms we have already built in the last 6 years.

Just purchased a new hotel built near campus and the Palisades apt complex for upper class men.

Explosive growth of adding 2 new campuses can catch you off guard even with a plan.

Herder
February 7th, 2016, 09:34 PM
We know what we're doing over here, herder. Stay in your lane and try focusing on trying to gain some semblance lol xlolx of national attention from the likes of 99.99% of mainstream america who is enthralled by the FAR GREATER & SUPERIOR FBS offering. The truth hurts us all. :D

Stay in my lane? I'm not the one passing off the Celebration Bowl as a meaningful game at the FCS level.

Panther88
February 8th, 2016, 02:56 PM
Stay in my lane? I'm not the one passing off the Celebration Bowl as a meaningful game at the FCS level.

Neither are we. ;)

Do your diligence and focus on your march madness-like tourney set in Nov/Dec/Jan lol.

Big Dawg
February 11th, 2016, 08:14 AM
Just when I thought I'd had enough of fans on AGS...I decided to log on and catch up on FCS news I've neglected and I'm regretting it.

The fact that Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson was even mentioned in this thread is ridiculous...and does borderline on baiting, as previously stated.

Big Dawg
February 11th, 2016, 08:17 AM

Explain the joke so that we can all laugh

Is the joke that our fans still support us and attend games? Is it that we have a few Nationally televised games a year? Is it that we have the same passion about our schools as others do?

Panther88
February 11th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Just when I thought I'd had enough of fans on AGS...I decided to log on and catch up on FCS news I've neglected and I'm regretting it.

The fact that Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson was even mentioned in this thread is ridiculous...and does borderline on baiting, as previously stated.

You have to look past mentally retarded people like ol' boy who started the thread, BD. His is the type that is quite mentally "special."

Lehigh Football Nation
February 11th, 2016, 11:18 AM
I'm sorry, are we still talking about this?

clenz
February 11th, 2016, 11:24 AM
You have to look past mentally retarded people like ol' boy who started the thread, BD. His is the type that is quite mentally "special."
xeekx

DEX
March 6th, 2016, 01:00 PM

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I vehemently opposed (still do) the MEAC giving up it's AQ but I must admit that by all measures (espn) the Celebration Bowl was a big success. To put it politely, I'm not sure our leadership cares what anyone else thinks.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 9th, 2016, 04:37 PM

Ahhhhh......

No AGS thread about the SWAC/MEAC would be perfect without the typical "Al and Jesse" comment. But you can't forget "Ebony, Jet and BET".

PantherRob82
March 13th, 2016, 10:31 PM
Who will play in the 2016 Black Lives Matter Celebration Bowl?

I'm going to say Gambling and FAMU.

:D

wheatstraw78
March 14th, 2016, 02:34 PM
Yo M--a!

BluBengal07
March 14th, 2016, 02:57 PM
this mess is still going....

Thumper 76
March 14th, 2016, 07:14 PM
Oh good, I was worried this thread had died

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3rd Coast Tiger
March 16th, 2016, 09:58 AM
Who will play in the 2016 Black Lives Matter Celebration Bowl?

I'm going to say Gambling and FAMU.

:D

I'm hearing the game will be played before the Trump "Make America Great Again" Bowl featuring The Citadel vs Liberty. :D

Lehigh Football Nation
March 16th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Are we still talking about this?

3rd Coast Tiger
March 16th, 2016, 10:12 AM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/l41lWlrK2E1YPeJQQ/200.gif
Sixth Page!!! Sixth Page!!! Sixth Page!!!

PantherRob82
March 18th, 2016, 11:03 PM
I'm hearing the game will be played before the Trump "Make America Great Again" Bowl featuring The Citadel vs Liberty. :D

Best possible response.