PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Accepts Sports Network Cup

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2006, 07:12 PM
We haven't had a San Diego thread in awhile outside of Jim Harbaugh's endless search to leave USD for a Football Bowl Subdivision school, so I thought I would give the Toreros some love...

San Diego accepts 2006 Sports Network Cup
Toreros honored as top team in I-AA mid-major college football

Chattanooga, TN (Sports Network) - San Diego, which went 11-1 and won the inaugural Gridiron Classic, accepted The Sports Network Cup, emblematic of the top I-AA/FCS mid-major program. The Toreros, who garnered all 20 first-place votes and 200 total points in the final balloting conducted among Mid-Major sports information directors and selected media members, earn their second consecutive Sports Network Cup.

The Toreros held the No. 1 spot for all 13 weeks of the season. The Toreros solidified their No. 1 ranking right away by stomping Azuza Pacific and Dixie State. A trip to Yale was next on the agenda. Quarterback Josh Johnson had a brilliant day with 28-of-35 passing for 345 yards and four touchdowns and 70 rushing yards and one touchdown as the Toreros won, 43-17, against a Yale team that went on to finish 8-2 and grabbed a share of the Ivy League title.

San Diego just continued to roll from there. The Toreros opened PFL play with a 50-21 victory at Davidson on Sept. 30, and earned national recognition with their first-ever spot in The Sports Network top 25 after that game. San Diego came in at No. 25 in the country, and continued to rise up the ranks of the top 25 with easy wins over Butler and Valparaiso.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/2006tsncup_sandiego.htm

3yards
December 14th, 2006, 08:25 PM
They did have a great season! Good for them.

AZGrizFan
December 14th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Quick funny story: We hired a new Business Lending Analyst today, who hails from Drake, and played football for them from 1998-2002. I cornered the young lad in my office and commenced to spouting off all my knowledge regarding the PFL, USD, Harbaugh, etc., etc., etc. I think he was impressed (actually, probably SHOCKED) that ANYONE outside of his small circle knew ANYTHING about PFL football.

slostang
December 14th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Congrats to USD on their great season. The GWFC is waiting with open arms.