PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft History and First Round FCS Quarterbacks

Winindy
January 18th, 2016, 09:32 AM
With Carson Wentz being talked about being taken in the first round, I was curious how well FCS QBs have done after being taken in the first round.

Year
Pick
Name
School
QBR

Doug Williams
Grambling

Phil Simms
Morehead St

Steve McNair
Alcorn State

Joe Flacco
Delaware

Note: 1983 Ken O'Brien was picked 24th by the Jets. Cal-Davis was Division II though, and I didn't include him.

1st round FCS QBs have fared pretty well in the NFL.

Williams had a tough time with the Buccaneers, but just about every quarterback that played in Tampa had a tough time back then. He won a Superbowl with the Redskins, was named one of the greatest 80 Redskins, and made their ring of honor.

Phil Simms made 2 pro bowls, won 2 super bowls, super bowl and pro bowl mvp and is in the Giants ring of honor.

McNair had an excellent career with Houston/Tennessee/Baltimore. He made 3 pro bowls, won the league MVP, and was about 2 inches short of being a Super Bowl champ.

Flacco has had a great career with Baltimore. Super Bowl champ, Super Bowl MVP, Rookie of the year, and the Ravens all-time leader in wins.

lionsrking2
January 18th, 2016, 10:06 AM
With Carson Wentz being talked about being taken in the first round, I was curious how well FCS QBs have done after being taken in the first round.

Year
Pick
Name
School
QBR

Doug Williams
Grambling

Steve McNair
Alcorn State

Joe Flacco
Delaware

Note: 1983 Ken O'Brien was picked 24th by the Jets. Cal-Davis was Division II though, and I didn't include him.

1st round FCS QBs have fared pretty well in the NFL.

Williams had a tough time with the Buccaneers, but just about every quarterback that played in Tampa had a tough time back then. He won a Superbowl with the Redskins, was named one of the greatest 80 Redskins, and made their ring of honor.

McNair had an excellent career with Houston/Tennessee/Baltimore. He made 3 pro bowls, won the league MVP, and was about 2 inches short of being a Super Bowl champ.

Flacco has had a great career with Baltimore. Super Bowl champ, Super Bowl MVP, Rookie of the year, and the Ravens all-time leader in wins.

What about Phil Simms? He played at Morehead State. Weren't they I-AA in 1978, his senior year?

Winindy
January 18th, 2016, 10:13 AM
Thanks, had it, forgot it. 1978 was their first year in Division 1-AA

TTUEagles
January 18th, 2016, 10:45 AM
McNair was a few inches from potentially tying the super bowl. But, I'm nit-picking. Sorry!

Daytripper
January 18th, 2016, 01:01 PM
What about Neil Lomax? Was Portland State D-II when he was drafted?

Daytripper
January 18th, 2016, 01:02 PM
What about Neil Lomax? Was Portland State D-II when he was drafted?

Never mind. He was second round.