According to @DraftDiamonds on twitter

SCFBF...you have anything on this?

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 14th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Wow...this is a surprise!

Good LB

TheKingpin28
January 14th, 2016, 04:20 PM
If true, this is a huge blow to that defense.

clenz
January 14th, 2016, 04:21 PM
2015: 122 tackles, 15.5 TFL, 3.5 sacks, 2 interceptions, 1 pass break up, 1 qb hit, 5 forced fumbles…earned multiple All American honors…first team All-MVFC honors

2014: 102 tackles, 9.5 sacks, 1 interception, six pass breakups, three quarterback hurries and two forced fumbles … earned All-MVFC second-team honors.

2013: Saw action in eight games, starting the last four of the season on the defensive line and the linebacker position … finished the season with 29 tackles, two sacks and a forced fumble

Still plenty of talent on the defense but, if true, massive hit

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 14th, 2016, 04:25 PM
6-4

Good size and had a nose for the ball. I don't know what his 40 is but he had good "game speed" in the 2 games I saw him in person.

BisonTru
January 14th, 2016, 04:48 PM
Wow... There isn't a ton of guaranteed money or much of a signing bonus in the later rounds. It'd make more sense to me to stay and try to improve in college. Highly unlikely a LB digresses year over year and if he does I don't think he'll even make a roster in the NFL.

clenz
January 14th, 2016, 04:50 PM
I wonder if he declared or asked for an evaluation

1992Bison
January 14th, 2016, 05:03 PM

I hope DeLuca doesn't leave

BisonTru
January 14th, 2016, 05:11 PM

I would assume if he asked for an evaluation that wouldn't come out publicly. But with the amount of social media, I hope so.

This seems like a mistake on either his part or the medias.

clenz
January 14th, 2016, 05:43 PM
Draft diamonds said he's spending all his time training for the pro day...so

Bisonator
January 14th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Good luck to him but I'd be shocked if he gets drafted.

Schism55
January 14th, 2016, 06:52 PM
He's a very good player, but this is a bit of a head scratcher. Unless he blows peeps away at workouts I'd say their is a fair chance he doesn't get drafted.
Best of luck to him, won't miss him tackling Bison next year that is for sure.

AmsterBison
January 14th, 2016, 06:55 PM
UNI's LBs were outstanding. At least they've still got Farley for another two years - that guy was everywhere when UNI played NDSU in the playoffs.

Bisonator
January 14th, 2016, 07:16 PM
Kyle Emanuel was ranked like 16th OLB last year and drafted in the 5th round. McMakin is currently ranked something like 57th? He better kill the workouts.

Twentysix
January 14th, 2016, 07:20 PM
He was really good when I saw him play, but this seems like an idiotic move. :\ Is he at least finished with his degree?

clenz
January 14th, 2016, 07:21 PM
Yes

smallcollegefbfan
January 14th, 2016, 07:57 PM
According to @DraftDiamonds on twitter

SCFBF...you have anything on this?

Have not heard anything until this but that would be a huge mistake for the kid. I'm hoping this is just a case of a kid who needs money badly and has graduated and just wants to try.

Some facts about the website.

1. They are not paid and do not work for any media outlets.

2. They are fans who want to "help" kids with agents and interviews and getting their names out.

3. They have never played or coached or worked in the NFL or college level. Those guys have day jobs and really aren't qualified to be mentors but they try to. They do not get paid for their football knowledge.

It's funny how mentors know nothing about the process. I think most mentors have genuine intent to help but they really need to leave the kids alone. If they have access to know this they should be telling the kid and agents he needs to stay.

As of right now, I have him as a free agent.

IBleedYellow
January 14th, 2016, 07:59 PM
Pretty much all of the Valley just cheered.

I wish the kid luck.

smallcollegefbfan
January 14th, 2016, 08:03 PM
Kyle Emanuel was ranked like 16th OLB last year and drafted in the 5th round. McMakin is currently ranked something like 57th? He better kill the workouts.

Don't get caught up in rankings. There are no "official" rankings. All 32 teams have their own separate rankings and obviously they pay MILLIONS of dollars on scouting departments because websites don't do a great job.

The best website is NFL Draft Scout as far as rankings go and the only reason I say that is because I know at two times of the year their rankings person has access to information that nobody else but NFL.com really has. They can get all the pro day results and the grades from NFL scouts during junior pro day workouts. Outside of that and anything NFL teams they know tell them they aren't official and just provide a pretty good gauge of where players are.

I think they had Kyle Emanuel nowhere near the draft as of November last year.

Look at any draft websites and they pretty much have awful ratings until they rank the players in the top 3 all-star games and the NFL Combine.

In fact, anyone on here want to start a draft website? Take every player in the Senior, NFLPA, Shrine, and the NFL Combine and sprinkle in a few guys who Gil Brandt posts from the pro days as risers and anyone could have about 80% of the drafted players.

Basically that's all websites do. They let the all-star games and the NFL Combine do the scouting for them. If they have fairly deep rankings prior to that stuff they just shuffle their stuff to match it. Just watch when even NFL Draft Scout has an OT rated 65 or 70 right now but the combine list comes out and that kid is in there. The kid will go from 65 to the 25-35 range immediately.

UNIFanSince1983
January 15th, 2016, 08:51 AM
First player in UNI history to declare early apparently...

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/uni/football/uni-junior-linebacker-mcmakin-declares-for-nfl-draft/article_1095db73-9aa6-5875-b5c4-2533f9b9e9b5.html

clenz
January 15th, 2016, 09:11 AM
I've got a real strong suspicion that this isn't a him thinking he makes the league type decision

UNI Pike
January 15th, 2016, 12:30 PM
From the outside looking in, the entire thing is a head scratcher. Obviously there are one or more pieces of private information that are driving this decision. Don't know if we will ever hear what is really driving this decision.

Regardless, I wish the best to Brett and his family.

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

clenz
January 15th, 2016, 12:43 PM
From the outside looking in, the entire thing is a head scratcher. Obviously there are one or more pieces of private information that are driving this decision. Don't know if we will ever hear what is really driving this decision.

Regardless, I wish the best to Brett and his family.

From my NSA monitored nexus 5
It certainly is a strange situation.

Maybe he put in for an evaluation and was told this is as good as it's going to get, even with another year like the last two his stock wouldn't be higher. Decided that, since he was graduating, he didn't want to risk a year of getting hurt and blowing any chance he had.

UNIFanSince1983
January 15th, 2016, 01:23 PM
I have no idea what the decision making process is on this. What I do know is this sucks for us. This is a guy we weren't expecting to lose. I am sure there is another LB ready in the wings, but don't think they can be AA level this year like Brett was going to be.

clenz
January 15th, 2016, 01:32 PM
I have no idea what the decision making process is on this. What I do know is this sucks for us. This is a guy we weren't expecting to lose. I am sure there is another LB ready in the wings, but don't think they can be AA level this year like Brett was going to be.
Probably not.

AJ Allen will be damn good for UNI though.

Name a time, since Farley took over, that UNI didn't have a stable of LB's and DL that were top level though. Remember when no one that we could replace Brannon Carter and De'Veon Harris? Then there was no replacing someone like Gacke or Farley. Now look at what we've had.

On the DL no one would replace Ruffin, Pediscleaux. Then no one would replace Boothby. Then Xavier Williams and Chris Jepsen...then guys like Issac Ales, Karter Schult, etc.. popped up. Remember Collin Albrecht? Didn't play a single snap his first three years and then had 8 sacks and 13.5 TFL in 2013.

It sucks, but I'm not too worried.

BisonFan02
January 15th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Good programs reload, but it still sucks when it is unexpected.

BisonTru
January 15th, 2016, 01:52 PM
It certainly is a strange situation.

Maybe he put in for an evaluation and was told this is as good as it's going to get, even with another year like the last two his stock wouldn't be higher. Decided that, since he was graduating, he didn't want to risk a year of getting hurt and blowing any chance he had.

If he's graduating why not take the new trendy FBS-Grad route. As much as I hate seeing FCS kids move up, it would be a nice stepping stone to the NFL. And if he dominated at that level he could be looking at a top 2 round grade and some serious signing bonus/guaranteed money.

clenz
January 15th, 2016, 02:05 PM
If he's graduating why not take the new trendy FBS-Grad route. As much as I hate seeing FCS kids move up, it would be a nice stepping stone to the NFL. And if he dominated at that level he could be looking at a top 2 round grade and some serious signing bonus/guaranteed money.
Or not play well/stand out enough and fall off any radar he may have had.

BisonTru
January 15th, 2016, 02:10 PM
Or not play well/stand out enough and fall off any radar he may have had.

If he can't crack an FBS lineup I don't think he's going to cut it in the NFL.

clenz
January 15th, 2016, 02:18 PM
If he doesn't give them the chance to see if he can crack an FBS line up they'll never know he can't.

FWIW, if there's a reason you think this situation smells fishy is because you're not too far from a fish market....

BisonTru
January 15th, 2016, 02:26 PM
If he doesn't give them the chance to see if he can crack an FBS line up they'll never know he can't.

FWIW, if there's a reason you think this situation smells fishy is because you're not too far from a fish market....

The first pick in the fifth round received 250K signing bonus nothing guaranteed beyond that.

That's probably his CEILLiNG, farther you fall the more the money falls. Go undrafted maybe get a $5000 if they really want you as a PFA.

PantherRob82
January 15th, 2016, 02:26 PM
Bison fans love PantherNation, why have they not figured it out yet? xlolx

BisonBacker
January 15th, 2016, 02:31 PM
He was really good when I saw him play, but this seems like an idiotic move. :\ Is he at least finished with his degree?

Yes

I think it's a mistake but at least he's got the most important part taken care of. If he hadn't completed his education I'd be really shaking my head at this. Best of luck hope it works out for him but it's a tall hill to climb.

BisonTru
January 15th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Bison fans love PantherNation, why have they not figured it out yet? xlolx

Couldn't he still go play for the Redbirds? 😀

BisonFan02
January 15th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Couldn't he still go play for the Redbirds? 😀

Criminal resume too short.

clenz
January 15th, 2016, 02:57 PM
Couldn't he still go play for the Redbirds? 
NCAA says no.

If it was a true crime, you bet he could.xlolx

BisonTru
January 15th, 2016, 02:58 PM
NCAA says no.

If it was a true crime, you bet he could.xlolx

Rules>Laws 😃

BisonTru
January 15th, 2016, 04:15 PM
I just don't see him getting drafted but I bet someone like the Roiders will give him a shot.

grizband
January 17th, 2016, 11:47 PM
Tell this to Trumaine Johnson, Marc Mariani, and countless other FCS players turned pro.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

BisonTru
January 17th, 2016, 11:58 PM
Tell this to Trumaine Johnson, Marc Mariani, and countless other FCS players turned pro.

Did they do the fifth year graduate transfer up route?

That's what I was referencing.

grizband
January 18th, 2016, 12:12 AM
Did they do the fifth year graduate transfer up route?

That's what I was referencing.
I honestly didn't get that from your post, sorry about that.

BisonTru
January 18th, 2016, 12:18 AM
I honestly didn't get that from your post, sorry about that.

No biggie. We have the top 2 QB in the draft IMO. There's some good FCS players. Also IMO, Holmes will be a starter on Sundays as well.

grizband
January 18th, 2016, 12:19 AM
No biggie. We have the top 2 QB in the draft IMO. There's some good FCS players. Also IMO, Holmes will be a starter on Sundays as well.
Wentz should go high. Holmes won't go as high, but I hope he earns a shot.