PDA

View Full Version : Stadium Explansion Plans in Chatty?

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2006, 04:51 PM
I know that many in the FCS community would like to keep them game in Chatty. Seems that Appalachian St fulfilled their allotment and could've even brought more Mountaineer fans to the game. If the challenger to the defending champion Mountaineers was someone that had a history of traveling well, can you imagine the ticket demand? Makes you wonder what would've happened if Montana made the title game, right?

Is there a possibility if the momentum continues the next year or two, that the Division I Championship Game outgrown it's home? Or does it just really matter on what team(s) are playing?

Obviously last year with over 20,000 and this year, with an overflow crowd jamming in the stadium, this question can be asked. It wasn't asked in 2004 with under 16,000 butts in the seats or the year before with under 15,000. But, could this be something the NCAA and UTC have to look into?

There's definitely more interest in the game, so I guess time will tell...

SouthernEagle02
December 14th, 2006, 05:16 PM
I doubt it mainly because outside of that one game, it makes zero financial sense. UTC is a good team & competitor (Any SoCon team playing @ UTC will tell you that) at Davenport field, but they have a hard time filling it during the regular season. But you also have to look at is this way. Your demand is great because you have a local team playing like you said. Say you get another Deleware/Colgate game where there are no local teams or even worse a Cal Poly/Northern Arizona matchup. I would bet you, that should a game of non-local teams happen you could walk up to the box office and get tickets the day of the game. And I'm not knocking the fan base of any of the schools I mentioned...just an example. So like I said, don't bet on it. Now if it came down to Chatty loosing the game based on expansion, then and only then would you possibly see some movement towards expansion. Hope this answers your question.

crunifan
December 14th, 2006, 05:22 PM
I would really really really prefer to see the game move somewhere else.

bustingnut
December 14th, 2006, 05:32 PM
What do you all think about moving the CS championship to a BS school, with about 30,000 or so seats?

SouthernEagle02
December 14th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Not to re-start that thread again, but where would you move it too? And in the past 6 years only two teams west of the mississippi have played in the game. UNI and Montana. Not to be a smartass, until schools west of the Mississippi start putting more teams in the playoffs and ultimately the title game, it shouldn't move anywhere.

bcrawf
December 14th, 2006, 05:50 PM

Maybe somewhere like, I don't know, Cedar Falls, IA??:hurray:

chattanoogamocs
December 14th, 2006, 05:57 PM
It is ironic you say that because the conversation came up today at the stadium.

The stadium was designed to expand to over 30K with the east endzone (and an upper deck on the north side bumping it about 50K). The foundation for stands are literally already there (they double right now for the outer brick wall/fence). The architectural drawing were of a larger stadium, with what you see now as "phase I"

Granted, it would have to take consistent sellouts (and continued improvement with UTC...our attendance did have a good increase this year)

But I am telling you guys, the attitude around here is completely different this year about the game...and with the locals, it is not just because ASU is here. It took a decade, but I think the event has finally "arrived" in Chattanooga...it will be very interesting to see if local ticket sales continue to increase next year.

chattanoogamocs
December 14th, 2006, 05:57 PM

yeah...to a 25% smaller venue...brilliant! :smiley_wi

bcrawf
December 14th, 2006, 06:00 PM
yeah...to a 25% smaller venue...brilliant! :smiley_wi

Where whether is not a factor and fans don't have to sit in 45 degree weather. Heaven forbid we have comfortable fans and a champion decided with no outside factors...:eyebrow:

igo4uni
December 14th, 2006, 06:00 PM

UNI has bid on the NC game in the past and I am sure they will do it again. My concern is that the UNI-Dome only holds 16,300. The same problem they are having now in Chatty would occur in Cedar Falls if one of the Gateway teams was in the game. It would be even worse if UNI was in the game, as it would really put a demand on the tickets. :twocents:

bcrawf
December 14th, 2006, 06:01 PM
UNI has bid on the NC game in the past and I am sure they will do it again. My concern is that the UNI-Dome only holds 16,300. The same problem they are having now in Chatty would occur in Cedar Falls if one of the Gateway teams was in the game. It would be even worse if UNI was in the game, as it would really put a demand on the tickets. :twocents:

Isn't ticket demand a good thing???

crunifan
December 14th, 2006, 06:04 PM
I have my reasons why I don't like Chattanooga, and I am not going to state them on here because I don't want to offend the people that live there and truely love their city.

But I would much rather see the game in say, Orlando or Las Vegas.

igo4uni
December 14th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Isn't ticket demand a good thing???

yes it is!! The reason for the talk of expansion of the stadium in Chatty is demand for tickets. All I am saying is that the same thing could happen in Cedar Falls.

bcrawf
December 14th, 2006, 06:06 PM
yes it is!! The reason for the talk of expansion of the stadium in Chatty is demand for tickets. All I am saying is that the same thing could happen in Cedar Falls.

We can sell them tickets to the McLeod Center and they can watch the game on the Video Board, they will still be able to hear the crowd noise...:smiley_wi

crunifan
December 14th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Ohh, and as cool as it would be to have the game in Cedar Falls, so that we could see it every year, I don't think it would be fair. If UNI ever got to the game, it really would be an unfair advantage.

I do think it would be interesting to see how many southerners would show up for the game if it was 1,000 miles north in the middle of winter though. :)

bcrawf
December 14th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Ohh, and as cool as it would be to have the game in Cedar Falls, so that we could see it every year, I don't think it would be fair. If UNI ever got to the game, it really would be an unfair advantage.

I do think it would be interesting to see how many southerners would show up for the game if it was 1,000 miles north in the middle of winter though. :)

It was never a problem when Marshall had it at home every year...

About the Southerners, I have seen tape of Georgia Southern getting off a plane for the semi in '85 at the Waterloo Airport two days after a blizzard. They did an interview with one of their players (Tracy Ham, maybe??) and his exact quote was "How can you people stand to live like this??''

igo4uni
December 14th, 2006, 06:11 PM
If UNI ever got to the game, it really would be an unfair advantage.

No more unfair than Marshall had for years or UTC would have now if they made it to the NC game.

After walking from the cold, windy parking lot into the warmth of the fabulous UNI-Dome, many would change their opinion regarding indoor games!!!!:hurray: :hurray:

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2006, 06:13 PM
The big question is...

http://www.aiany.org/eOCULUS/2004/2004images/if.gif

chattanoogamocs
December 14th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Where whether is not a factor and fans don't have to sit in 45 degree weather. Heaven forbid we have comfortable fans and a champion decided with no outside factors...:eyebrow:

I guess the "weather" is a factor too.

Yeah, and the tailgating will be awesome out in the snow...as opposed to me taking pictures of the stadium in shorts and a t-shirt this afternoon.

Sorry, if the event is too big for Chattanooga...it is thus also too big for Cedar Falls. (shrugs)

bcrawf
December 14th, 2006, 06:21 PM
There is just no way to make everyone happy. Such is life...

ButlerGSU
December 14th, 2006, 06:52 PM
What do you all think about moving the CS championship to a BS school, with about 30,000 or so seats?

I think it should always be held in a FCS city. However, if Georgia State starts a FCS team then it could be moved to Atlanta which would be great.

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2006, 07:09 PM
I think it should always be held in a FCS city. However, if Georgia State starts a FCS team then it could be moved to Atlanta which would be great.

Where in Atlanta would you play it? The Georgiadome? :confused:

ButlerGSU
December 14th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Where in Atlanta would you play it? The Georgiadome? :confused:

Part of Georgia States study included one option in which they would build their own facility. If they did that it could be played there as I'm sure it would be Finley's size. The GA Dome holds what? 70,000? Could also use GT's Bobby Dodd stadium which holds 55,000

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Part of Georgia States study included one option in which they would build their own facility. If they did that it could be played there as I'm sure it would be Finley's size. The GA Dome holds what? 70,000? Could also use GT's Bobby Dodd stadium which holds 55,000

Would Georgia State even build a facility that could hold 25,000ish? They would be a new program, would that kind of facility be in the equation?

I think anything bigger than 35,000 is too much for the FCS title game at this point. Got to work our way up...

Appstate29
December 14th, 2006, 08:02 PM
I say we have it in Hangzhou, China this year, but i'm just a little partial.

appfan2008
December 14th, 2006, 09:10 PM
I like it in Chatty but some expansion would be a very good thing

igo4uni
December 14th, 2006, 09:33 PM
I like it in Chatty but some expansion would be a very good thing

I think the expansion talk is a bit premature at this point. This is the first year that the game has been sold out. I hope it continues!! However, undertaking a major expansion project because one game sells out is kinda silly. Also, Appy is not very far from Chatty at all. Would there be this kind of interest if teams from farther away were in the game??:twocents: