PDA

View Full Version : Villanova's Andy Talley to retire after '16 season

Gangtackle11
January 12th, 2016, 04:49 PM
A guy who did it right on& off the field. A true gentleman & a great football coach & leader.

http://www.vuhoops.com/villanova-football/2016/1/12/10756846/villanova-football-coach-andy-talley-retirement-mark-ferrante?utm_campaign=vuhoops&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

FormerPokeCenter
January 12th, 2016, 06:07 PM
Coach Talley is an incredibly classy guy...

A few years back, I called him to talk to him about his work with Be The Match, particularly his "Get In The Game, Save a Life" initiative...He took time out of his schedule and talked to me for over an hour about Be The Match, what he was doing with his foundation, the colleges who were signed up and what he was doing, separately, to raise money to pay for additional testing. At the time Bone Marrow typing and matching had increased in price from $50.00 per screen to $100 per screen. Coach Talley was signing up nearly 9,000 potential donors per year....

His success was such that it was costing Be The Match nearly $1,000,000 every year for typing and matching...SO....rather than stand down and work within the frame work of their budget projections, he simply rolled up his sleeves and started fundraising to pay for the typing and matching.

I thought it was an incredibly cool thing for him to do that and to take time out of his schedule to talk to me about that, and fundraising, in the middle of the season...

I changed the name of my bike team to "Get in the Game, Save a Life" and that's what we've ridden as in the cancer fundraisers I've done in Atlanta, Charlotte and at the Austin LiveSTRONG Challenge.

Congrats Coach Talley, on a wonderful career and for a fantastic example in the fight against Cancer...

Fox 94
January 12th, 2016, 06:31 PM
Villanova to the PL?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 12th, 2016, 07:25 PM
Andy has been a great ambassador for CAA football. Good luck except for the visit to Robins in October.

Go...gate
January 12th, 2016, 07:29 PM
Villanova to the PL?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It has been said that Coach Talley was the largest factor behind Villanova NOT becoming a member of the PL for football. Time will tell.

DFW HOYA
January 12th, 2016, 08:02 PM
It has been said that Coach Talley was the largest factor behind Villanova NOT becoming a member of the PL for football. Time will tell.

What exactly does the PL bring Villanova?

CFBfan
January 12th, 2016, 08:10 PM
What exactly does the PL bring Villanova?

The PL would offer Nova

a league who's aggregate schedule is on the upswing
a 60 scholarship roster
a great academic league
a geography that is much "tighter" than the CAA
a league who's champ beat TWO CAA teams in the playoffs
etc!!!!

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 12th, 2016, 09:01 PM
etc!!!!

The etcetera has to be the clincher on this.

DFW HOYA
January 12th, 2016, 09:02 PM
The PL would offer Nova

a 60 scholarship roster
a great academic league
etc!!!!

Disagree.

1. Aggregate schedules (well, except for GU, which is not attracting better opponents) are on the upswing. But the CAA strength of schedule is second to none in the subdivision already.
2.What would a 63 scholarship team gain with a 60 scholarship arrangement, especially under a system that takes out up to 80% of eligible recruits below a 1200 SAT?
3. I'm not sure "a great academic league" sells. Certainly it has not with the usual expansion suspects.
4. Geography is not the issue fans make it out to be. If geography was paramount, the PL should dump GU and Holy Cross for St. Francis and Monmouth.

Yes, a Villanova-Georgetown series would be great for GU. I'm not sure it's a step Villanova wants to take.

RootinFerDukes
January 12th, 2016, 09:38 PM
The PL would offer Nova

a 60 scholarship roster
a great academic league
etc!!!!

And about three fewer Fcs playoff bids. Please stop with this everyone to the PL nonsense.
Well there were foia documents from wm that revealed they're considering the PL but likely waiting for JMU to leave the CAA.... Which will never happen at this point.

Sader87
January 12th, 2016, 11:08 PM
I think Villanova to the PL for football is almost a fait accompli....just a mattah of when imo.

Talley's retirement will hasten the move.

Go...gate
January 12th, 2016, 11:40 PM
Disagree.

1. Aggregate schedules (well, except for GU, which is not attracting better opponents) are on the upswing. But the CAA strength of schedule is second to none in the subdivision already.
2.What would a 63 scholarship team gain with a 60 scholarship arrangement, especially under a system that takes out up to 80% of eligible recruits below a 1200 SAT?
3. I'm not sure "a great academic league" sells. Certainly it has not with the usual expansion suspects.
4. Geography is not the issue fans make it out to be. If geography was paramount, the PL should dump GU and Holy Cross for St. Francis and Monmouth.

Yes, a Villanova-Georgetown series would be great for GU. I'm not sure it's a step Villanova wants to take.

How about as a replacement for Georgetown if GU affiliates with or joins the Ivy League? Frankly, VU would be a good fit, far better than St. Francis, Monmouth, Marist or even William & Mary (a public school).

Go...gate
January 12th, 2016, 11:44 PM
And about three fewer Fcs playoff bids. Please stop with this everyone to the PL nonsense.
Well there were foia documents from wm that revealed they're considering the PL but likely waiting for JMU to leave the CAA.... Which will never happen at this point.

Why? Our football conference has some challenges that would be worsened if any member departs.

BisonFan02
January 12th, 2016, 11:49 PM
1 word: Frankosaurus :D He could lead them to the PL glory.

CFBfan
January 13th, 2016, 06:08 AM
The etcetera has to be the clincher on this.

glad you agree

Gangtackle11
January 13th, 2016, 07:17 AM
You can argue PL for Villanova, but I don't see any reason for it.

We already play 1 if not 2 (Lehigh & Lafayette next 2 seasons) every year.

Villanova has a fine enough academic reputation without getting involved with the academic index confinements of the Patriot League.

The cost of running the program isn't that much less than currently in the PL and some of the costs (HC salary is endowed) aren't there.

Football alumni is small, but strong and I hear no one speaking to move out of CAA.

Love to play the Patriot League teams, but out of conference games are good enough.

superman7515
January 13th, 2016, 08:32 AM
What is getting lost in all of this nonsensical Villanova to the PL talk is that, once again, as the Laffy Taffy Tigers will tell you, Delaware Stadium is the nexus that binds East Coast football. A Hall of Fame championship winning coach that is voluntarily choosing to end his career at Delaware Stadium, the one place that FCS football on the East Coast actually finds some meaning and relevance. Kudos to Coach Talley on this wise decision to go out on the grandest stage of them all.

HailSzczur
January 13th, 2016, 08:55 AM
What is getting lost in all of this nonsensical Villanova to the PL talk is that, once again, as the Laffy Taffy Tigers will tell you, Delaware Stadium is the nexus that binds East Coast football. A Hall of Fame championship winning coach that is voluntarily choosing to end his career at Delaware Stadium, the one place that FCS football on the East Coast actually finds some meaning and relevance. Kudos to Coach Talley on this wise decision to go out on the grandest stage of them all.

Was just about to post to that end. Fitting that the 2nd most hated man in Delaware.
Kinda odd, Tubby retired at Villanova Stadium and Andy will hang it up at Delaware Stadium

Lehigh Football Nation
January 13th, 2016, 10:02 AM
Many reasons have already been stated, but the biggest reason why Villanova won't join the PL is that there's really no compelling reason for them to leave the CAA. Their arch-rival is in the CAA, they've competed for (and won) national championships in the CAA, and the CAA membership is holding steady. There's zero reason for them to proactively join the PL in football only unless something happens to the CAA, like Delaware heading to the MAC or something.

Fordhamanhattan
January 13th, 2016, 10:41 AM
He is a lowlife in my opinion. He ran up the score against Fordham coach Larry Gleuck who was a Nova star and former championship Chicago Bear. He said that the Fordham team of two years ago had no talent even though they beat Nova the year before. He is a yeller and first class bottom feeder.

Gangtackle11
January 13th, 2016, 12:19 PM
He is a lowlife in my opinion. He ran up the score against Fordham coach Larry Gleuck who was a Nova star and former championship Chicago Bear. He said that the Fordham team of two years ago had no talent even though they beat Nova the year before. He is a yeller and first class bottom feeder.

You are entitled to your opinion, but you certainly don't know the man. He is a class individual who does it the right way. I'm thankful for him being part of Villanova for the past 30 years.

The world is a better place for the likes of Andy Talley. You can ask the receiptents of his Bone Marrow donor program what they think of him.

Nova09
January 13th, 2016, 02:10 PM

Only 13 days in and you can shut it down folks, the worst post of the year has been found. Nobody topping this one.

HailSzczur
January 13th, 2016, 02:56 PM

Ran up the score? The Cats had to try to ONLY put up 50 points on the rams that day. Fordham forgot to come out of the locker room after the delay. These were the drives in the 2nd half (which Villanova started up 33-3). If we ran up the score, you would have known. Robertson had 1 drive in the 2nd half. Monangai and Medley were out by end of the 3rd quarter.

Touchdown- 11 plays (11 runs) 77 yards, 4:42
John Robertson leaves
Punt- 5 plays (5 runs, 1 sack) 13 yards, 3:32
Kevin Monangai leaves
FG- 10 plays (9 runs, 1 pass) 40 yards, 4:24
Austin Medley and Gary Underwood leave
TD- 2 plays (2 runs) 66 yards, 0:33....BY A FRESHMAN RB WHO WAS #4 ON THE DEPTH CHART who went 60 yards absolutely untouched to the endzone
Final possession- 4 plays (2 runs, 2 knees) 8 yards, 2:41....Those runs coming from 6th string walk on FB

2nd half stats:
Nova- 32 plays (31 rushing), 204 yd, 15:52
Fordham- 30 plays, 68 yd, 14:08

FormerPokeCenter
January 13th, 2016, 03:03 PM

A lowlife....and a bottom feeder???

Using your logic, Talley's a low-life because he ran up a 50-6 win over Larry Gleuck in the second game of the year in 2014, so how do you describe Gleuck, who presided over a 52-7 win over Georgetown just 9 weeks later??

I only ask because I'm curious if there's some sort of sliding scale at work here. Talley had a 44 point margin of victory, while Gleuck had a 45 point margin. Is there another factor I'm not considering, like...I dunno....Hypocrisy, perhaps????

Beyond that, is Gleuck involved in curing AIDS or Multiple Sclerosis? Why does he get a pass for running up the score, but Talley doesn't. Is Gleuck laboring for a more worthy charity, perhaps?

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but Fordham went two rounds into the playoffs in 2014, no?

Shouldn't a playoff caliber team be able to keep a peer school from being able to hang 50 points on them?

NY Crusader 2010
January 13th, 2016, 07:57 PM
How about as a replacement for Georgetown if GU affiliates with or joins the Ivy League?

Zero chance of the Ivy League letting in Georgetown.

UNHWildcat18
January 13th, 2016, 09:38 PM
In a plot twist Villanova due to big east conference pressure drops football completely to add the money to the basketball programs

NY Crusader 2010
January 13th, 2016, 10:07 PM
In a plot twist Villanova due to big east conference pressure drops football completely to add the money to the basketball programs

Just wondering, are there any notable cases out there where a school did this and a direct correlation has been drawn to dropping football and basketball success skyrocketing?

melloware13
January 13th, 2016, 10:28 PM

They're one of the few current Big East schools that holds the level of play of the old Big East, so there's no need for that. Talley's big milestones coming up are 250 career wins (with 1), and 230 wins at Villanova (with 9). I hope he has a great last season, but it ends with a loss in the last regular season game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 13th, 2016, 10:40 PM
Talley is literally Villanova football at the FCS level. I've followed Villanova football from afar since the early 90's. I'll always remember the '91 and '97 teams. He's done an amazing job in his time there building and maintaining a highly successful program with not a whole lot of support. Although, there is more support than some give 'Nova credit for. It's just football dwarfed by their hoops program...

I plan on attending the Lehigh-Villanova game if I'm still in the area. I know Talley would hate to lose to a PL team....

ursus arctos horribilis
January 13th, 2016, 10:46 PM
Damn good coach, heck of a decent guy with all he's done. He was one of the very early coaching "gets" for us on The FCS Wedge and it was very good of him to talk with us. Really like the guy, wish him the best of times in his retirement.

DFW HOYA
January 13th, 2016, 10:52 PM
Just wondering, are there any notable cases out there where a school did this and a direct correlation has been drawn to dropping football and basketball success skyrocketing?

No.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 13th, 2016, 11:01 PM
No.

I disagree...

St. Mary's. They've emerged as a sidekick to Gonzaga in WCC over the last decade. The Gaels have put a few guys in the NBA, have a few tournament appearances and a Sweet 16.

PAllen
January 13th, 2016, 11:13 PM

Probably as likely (or more) as VU joining the PL.

32counter
January 13th, 2016, 11:14 PM
One of Andy's greatest accomplishments has been his work with Bone Marrow matches.He is known nationally for his efforts on this front for which he has been involved with for nearly 25 years.This particular off the field accomplishment is what he will likely be remembered not necessarily his wins and losses on the gridiron.Not bad for a kid who went to Southern Connecticut State Teachers College to play defensive back.

http://www.talleybonemarrow.org (http://www.talleybonemarrow.org/)

https://www.facebook.com/The-Andy-Talley-Bone-Marrow-Foundation-165816916792786/

http://americansportsnet.com/villanova-football-players-give-life-through-be-the-match/

superman7515
January 14th, 2016, 06:38 AM

That's not how trolling works. It has to be something controversial with passionate opinions on both sides, like you could say "Trump is a racist" or conversely "Trump is absolutely correct with everything he's been saying" and then, at best, you feed the spark for a few comments with loose arguments from one side or the other to entice some people who agree with that stance to jump in and then you walk away from the inferno before it gets out of hand. The problem is, no one agrees with your weak sauce, so you're just sticking your head in a gas oven and asking someone to light the match for you. Everyone knows it's wrong and no one is going to help you get this thing lit.

http://i.imgur.com/CUDsWeL.jpg

Gangtackle11
January 14th, 2016, 02:40 PM

You may have to wait on this prediction. Talley's successor current associate head coach Mark Ferrante was given a 5 year contract.

HailSzczur
January 14th, 2016, 02:41 PM
You may have to wait on this prediction. Talley's successor current associate head coach Mark Ferrante was given a 5 year contract.

Between that and the West Endzone project I'd say the chances of that happening are quite slim....

Lehigh Football Nation
January 14th, 2016, 03:19 PM
I disagree...

St. Mary's. They've emerged as a sidekick to Gonzaga in WCC over the last decade. The Gaels have put a few guys in the NBA, have a few tournament appearances and a Sweet 16.

You mean the same St. Mary's with 23 year old juniors from Australia? They are a dirty program and an NCAA violation waiting to happen, if it's not in process already.

aceinthehole
January 14th, 2016, 04:15 PM
One of Andy's greatest accomplishments has been his work with Bone Marrow matches.He is known nationally for his efforts on this front for which he has been involved with for nearly 25 years.This particular off the field accomplishment is what he will likely be remembered not necessarily his wins and losses on the gridiron.Not bad for a kid who went to Southern Connecticut State Teachers College to play defensive back.http://www.talleybonemarrow.org (http://www.talleybonemarrow.org/)

https://www.facebook.com/The-Andy-Talley-Bone-Marrow-Foundation-165816916792786/

http://americansportsnet.com/villanova-football-players-give-life-through-be-the-match/

xthumbsupx

CHIP72
January 14th, 2016, 09:06 PM

You only wish, after all, Villanova will likely be in the playoffs in 2016. :)

CHIP72
January 14th, 2016, 09:11 PM
Between that and the West Endzone project I'd say the chances of that happening are quite slim....

That athletic facility could primarily benefit the basketball program regardless if Villanova continues to field a (high quality) DI-AA/FCS team or not...

ngineer
January 16th, 2016, 09:16 PM
Talley was one of if not the major voice against VU moving to the PL. Natural rivalries with nearby schools. We play 'nova in a lot of other sports already. If the CAA starts having any hints of departure, this could well happen.

Doc QB
January 17th, 2016, 09:14 AM
Many reasons have already been stated, but the biggest reason why Villanova won't join the PL is that there's really no compelling reason for them to leave the CAA. Their arch-rival is in the CAA, they've competed for (and won) national championships in the CAA, and the CAA membership is holding steady. There's zero reason for them to proactively join the PL in football only unless something happens to the CAA, like Delaware heading to the MAC or something.

Agree. We want them, would give PL football a huge boost. They don't want or need us. And it would need to be an across all non-basketball sport want/need, and I don't see it from afar. Nova fans here likely agree.

RichH2
January 17th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Dont see any Nova fans agreeing until PL mo longer viewed as a step down.