PDA

View Full Version : How Relegation And Promotion Can Work In FCS and FBS

Lehigh Football Nation
January 12th, 2016, 01:08 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2016/01/how-relegation-and-promotion-can-work.html

It might just work.

BisonFan02
January 12th, 2016, 01:17 PM
I'm not going to even click that.....

clenz
January 12th, 2016, 01:18 PM
I'm not going to even click that.....
I was just going to ask for one person to click it and copy and paste.

Hasn't ursus warned you about pulling **** like this?

Here's how it would work

Set an FCS up with a G5 and a G5 up with a P5 all in the same region

IBleedYellow
January 12th, 2016, 01:18 PM
I never click his site.

I'm just going to say: ANY G5 or P5 school is never going to agree to a system where there is even a chance they get brought down to a different level.

Zero. Zilch. Never.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 12th, 2016, 01:20 PM
I was just going to ask for one person to click it and copy and paste.

Hasn't ursus warned you about pulling **** like this?

Here's how it would work

Set an FCS up with a G5 and a G5 up with a P5 all in the same region

It's in its own thread, it relates to FCS... I fail to see how this is a problem

JSUSoutherner
January 12th, 2016, 01:22 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2016/01/how-relegation-and-promotion-can-work.html

It might just work.

So wait. We play a season in the FCS to get an invite? So that means if we take it we go to G5 next year? So where does the G5->FCS pathway happen? It seems to me that all the FCS schools would eventually end up in the G5 unless they opted to stay FCS.

I feel like I misread part of this article.

clenz
January 12th, 2016, 01:25 PM
I never click his site.

I'm just going to say: ANY G5 or P5 school is never going to agree to a system where there is even a chance they get brought down to a different level.

Zero. Zilch. Never.
Agreed.

Though a MVFC-MAC-B10 system would be kind of fun

JSUSoutherner
January 12th, 2016, 01:27 PM
I never click his site.

Zero. Zilch. Never.
Make it NCAA sanctioned rather than by conference then tell them to get over it. Lol

Lehigh Football Nation
January 12th, 2016, 01:29 PM
So wait. We play a season in the FCS to get an invite? So that means if we take it we go to G5 next year?

Yes. The next year, you're in your "regional pair" G5 conference.

So where does the G5->FCS pathway happen? It seems to me that all the FCS schools would eventually end up in the G5 unless they opted to stay FCS.

There would be movement both ways. As Jacksonville State's move up, Eastern Michigan's may move to FCS.

Facilitating the movement would be a blurring of the rules differentiating FCS and FBS, ex. 75 equivalencies.

clenz
January 12th, 2016, 01:33 PM
It's in its own thread, it relates to FCS... I fail to see how this is a problem
Still 100% click bait to drive traffic to your blog.

tomq04
January 12th, 2016, 01:33 PM
It's close to what my co-worker and I have been rambling on about...not sure that more games is better, I would say we would want to shrink the playoffs back down to 16 or 20, and those would include the eligible move ups.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 12th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Still 100% click bait to drive traffic to your blog.

It's a long-ass post. I'm not even sure it would fit in a board post here.

BisonFan02
January 12th, 2016, 01:36 PM

......have you ever seen clenz rant about something? xlolx

CockyGeek
January 12th, 2016, 01:39 PM
North American sports will never allow for this. They can't even get it done in Soccer where it's literally done on every other country.

clenz
January 12th, 2016, 01:39 PM
......have you ever seen clenz rant about something? xlolx
I used to be a master of concision and clarity

Don't have to bore that burden anymore.

BisonFan02
January 12th, 2016, 01:41 PM
I used to be a master of concision and clarity

Don't have to bore that burden anymore.

Illuminati

clenz
January 12th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Illuminati
New avatar idea

Bisonoline
January 14th, 2016, 01:12 AM

If they dont want to read it on your site what makes you think we want to read it here?

Just say no to promoting your irritating pseudo journalism.!!!!!

Catsfan90
January 14th, 2016, 05:46 AM
New avatar idea
Ha-ha I didn't even realize who this was until I looked at the name!

walliver
January 14th, 2016, 07:18 AM
The proposal makes sense only if the post-season is your primary priority. For most football fans, the actual season is the priority.
Ivy League teams are happy playing other Ivy League teams.
Most SoCon teams will play 1 or 2 Big South teams every year, but few would want to play a Big South schedule, and even fewer would want to play a SunBelt schedule of Troy, USA, ULL, ULM, and Idaho.
Few schools want their rivalry games and traditional opponents ripped apart.
Case in point, JMU appears to happily reside in the CAA with its traditional opponents, and has routinely spurned offers from the Belt. In fact, neither of the two recent CAA "move ups" were long-time football members.

Although it may come as a surprise to many on this board, I suspect the overwhelming majority of FCS programs are happy where they are.

FormerPokeCenter
January 14th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Relegation and promotion could, in fact, work successfully.

All it would take is three simple steps:

1.) Promote the concept by writing down all the positives inherent to such a concept on one sheet of paper.

2.) Crumple the paper into a ball

3.) Relegate it to the nearest trash can.

If implemented thusly, it would work fabulously...

Daytripper
January 14th, 2016, 08:15 AM
But this would mean that programs and their athletic departments would be held accountable for their records. Can't have that.

bluehenbillk
January 14th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Taking any ideas from soccer is just a stupid idea, I'm sorry I clicked on it - read maybe the half the first paragraph & realized it was garbage.

UNIFanSince1983
January 14th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Since I didn't read the article maybe he made this point, but how would scholarships work? Would the promoted FCS teams still be giving just 63? Would the FBS teams relegated get to keep their 85?

I am not sure how you could make this work with the scholarship limits unless everyone is at the same limit in which case why even have separate divisions?

SUPharmacist
January 14th, 2016, 08:32 AM
Is this a rehash of all the SBNation articles http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-relegation. Does it offer anything new?

Lehigh'98
January 14th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Again, why would any FBS Program agree to joining a system where they might get dropped down? What is the benefit?

Lehigh Football Nation
January 14th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Again, why would any FBS Program agree to joining a system where they might get dropped down? What is the benefit?

What conference would willingly keep Idaho when they could have North Dakota State?

Lehigh Football Nation
January 14th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Is this a rehash of all the SBNation articles http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-relegation. Does it offer anything new?

It's similar, but makes relegation/promotion only involved with the G5 and FCS. Mine is more implementable.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 14th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Since I didn't read the article maybe he made this point, but how would scholarships work? Would the promoted FCS teams still be giving just 63? Would the FBS teams relegated get to keep their 85?

I am not sure how you could make this work with the scholarship limits unless everyone is at the same limit in which case why even have separate divisions?

The scholarship limits would be streamlined so that G5 and FCS match, say a limit of 75 equivalencies you could split. That would make it unnecessary to transition scholarship levels when moves are made from FCS to FBS. That's another detail that the SBNation articles didn't have.

BisonFan02
January 14th, 2016, 01:50 PM
What conference would willingly keep Idaho when they could have North Dakota State?

The Sunbelt. xlolx

Bisonator
January 14th, 2016, 07:59 PM
The Big Sky. xlolx