PDA

View Full Version : Why is the DI Football Championship on ESPN2 on Friday night?

lizrdgizrd
December 14th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I'm guessing that ESPN has a lot to do with the Friday night decision. Hopefully with a full house and hopefully good ratings ESPN will change their opinion on the time of this game. Of course if the ratings are good that might make them keep it in that time slot.
ESPN2 is showing a replay of the 2006 Step Competition and the 2006 NCAA Women's Volleyball Championships during the 8-11pm slot. And they've got the DII NC on at noon. Tell me why the DII NC isn't on friday night and us on at noon on Saturday? AND the DIII NC is on at 4pm on ESPN.

THE FREAKIN' DIII NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP IS ON AT 4PM ON SATURDAY ON ESPN.
We don't get better ratings than the DIII championship? Seriously?

jmuroller
December 14th, 2006, 01:31 PM
8 oclock on a Friday night is the best time slot. It is considered prime time. 4 oclock on a sat is not prime time and it will be competiting with NFL games for viewers.

ucdtim17
December 14th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Friday night will get better ratings than saturday daytime I think

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2006, 01:42 PM
8 oclock on a Friday night is the best time slot. It is considered prime time. 4 oclock on a sat is not prime time and it will be competiting with NFL games for viewers.

Yep, NFL begins with Saturday games starting this weekend with Dallas traveling to the ATL to face the Falcons in the evening...

Wouldn't want to compete with the NFL at all and Friday primetime is better than Saturday afternoon...

Retro
December 14th, 2006, 01:48 PM
During this time of year, more people will be out shopping saturday afternoon than friday night and more and if you want to compete for viewers, saturday is not a good day with NFL all day long and night.

Friday night there is no other football competition, so it's a chance to put a great show!

lizrdgizrd
December 14th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Yep, NFL begins with Saturday games starting this weekend with Dallas traveling to the ATL to face the Falcons in the evening...

Wouldn't want to compete with the NFL at all and Friday primetime is better than Saturday afternoon...
:doh: Stupid NFL. I forgot about that!

walliver
December 14th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I don't think there is a big difference in ratings between any of the non-BCS National Championships. People interested in FCS football will watch the FCS Championship, D2 fans will watch the D2 Championship, etc.

Nowadays, people are just as likely to look at ESPN2 as ESPN. ESPN gets better ratings because they tend to show more marquee events, but on most cables they are side-by-side and casual fans will flip through both.

Outside of Mass and NC, along with AGS households scattered across the nation, this year's Division I National Championship will not get great ratings, nor will it next year (or any other year for that matter).

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam over the years on this board. I believe the game should be played on Saturday (On the seventh day God rested and watched a college football game):D As you can see by this thread, many other AGS'ers disagree.

penguin8797
December 14th, 2006, 02:17 PM
College football was made for Saturdays, or perhaps Saturdays were made for college football! Especially this year since the lone NFL game is an evening game and wouldn't interfere with a Saturday afternoon championship. It's just my prefernce and not based on ratings, which may well be better in the Friday slot. I'll watch either way. You know they will get more sports bars tuned in to the only game in town. It's tougher getting off work to attend a Friday game than Saturady too, especially if you need a day or more to travel.

biggie
December 14th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Good news is, Friday gives me an excuse to get off work and 8pm gives me extra time to tailgate (plenty of consumption). I would find it rough for a noon game.

TxSt02
December 14th, 2006, 02:39 PM
time for you hard core "we are awarded the highest trophy" guys to chime in...

henfan
December 14th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Ralph, can we please get a sticky thread or link on the CSN site dedicated to topics like these that keep reappearing ad naseum on AGS? Ugh!

SoCon48
December 14th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Simple answer. The NCAA and ESPN don't give a big crap how much hardship they cause I-AA fans to get off work and travel on Friday and the players to miss classes (ones who aren't out yet).

chattanoogamocs
December 14th, 2006, 04:43 PM
I think for those watching on TV, Friday night is more prime.

I think for those actually in the stands at the game, Saturday is more prime.

Obviously, Chattanooga would like it on Saturday...fans are more likely to stay an extra night and it would help crowds overall (this year has not been a problem) because they lose less work time.