PDA

View Full Version : CAA 2016

Gangtackle11
January 9th, 2016, 11:28 PM
What are your thoughts on the 2016 season? Who are the favorites, up & comers, and on the decline?

I'll get it rolling with my preseason rankings (I'll admit I haven't put a lot of thought into this, but I have a decent knowledge of returning players to take a stab at it)

1. Richmond
2. Towson
3. Villanova
4. William & Mary
5. New Hampshire
6. James Madison
7. Delaware
8. Stony Brook
9. Maine
10. Elon
11. Albany
12. Rhode Island

RootinFerDukes
January 10th, 2016, 06:23 AM
Did any other CAA teams other than Maine and JMU change coaches? With JMU's HC still unknown, it is certainly too early to accurately rank us anywhere.

Dane96
January 10th, 2016, 09:06 AM
What are your thoughts on the 2016 season? Who are the favorites, up & comers, and on the decline?

I'll get it rolling with my preseason rankings (I'll admit I haven't put a lot of thought into this, but I have a decent knowledge of returning players to take a stab at it)

1. Richmond
2. Towson
3. Villanova
4. William & Mary
5. New Hampshire
6. James Madison
7. Delaware
8. Stony Brook
9. Maine
10. Elon
11. Albany
12. Rhode Island

I can tell you didn't put in a lot of thoughts...

KPSUL
January 10th, 2016, 09:15 AM
I have no confidence in picking the conference finish standings, I can share my perspective on UNH's strengths and weaknesses and some anecdotal opinion on a couple other CAA teams. UNH really has only one question mark coming into 2016, QB. Sean Goldrich is graduating. The guy who played the most when Goldrich was out for several games, Adam Reise, is an accurate passer and he moves ok in the pocket. However he does not present the running part of "dual" threat we've seen from UNH QBs for a decade. The other possibilities are really untested. We should be as strong, if not stronger, in every other offensive category. Three deep running backs all returning and a very promising Red Shirted Freshman and and transfer from Maine who had to sit out 2015 waiting in the wings. Two senior "starters" WRs graduating, but they were not the top two WRs at that position in 2015. We are losing the only true Freshman WR who played in 2015 anywhere on the UNH roster to bad grades and transfer - but I think most of us were a little disappointed in his 2015 production. We will be breaking out our newest secret weapon from Vermont - Red-shirted Freshman PK Robert Kelly. This guy is going to move us from worst to first in the placekicking game this season. On defense, we have a few more holes to fill. Both starting DTs, solid but not spectacular performers. LB Akil Anderson whose production fell off in 2015 and a couple of good Safeties. (I'd move 3rd team AA Caey DeAndrade from cornerback to strong safety) But all things considered, I see the 2016 Defense as strong as 2015 going into the new season.

As far as other CAA teams, I think JMU is one huge question mark thanks to Everett Withers. Will have to see how many from their recruiting class, and maybe current players, he steals or jump ship for a more stable envoronment. They already had enough of a challenge replacing Vad Lee and several other FBS transfers Withers brought in with him two years ago. I think Elon is going to continue to improve in 2016, they also got stuck playing one of the toughest conference schedules during their 1st two years in the CAA. I didn't check, but their 2016 CAA schedule should likely be a little easier.

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 10th, 2016, 09:16 AM
Can somebody educate me on what Towson has returning? We haven't played them since their NCAA Finalist team, so they have been a bit 'out of sight, out of mind' for me.

Regarding JMU and Maine - the teams that replaced coaches, i know little about their returning personnel except that Vad Lee is gone. What i do know is that new coaches in the CAA often exceed expectations in their first year.

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 10th, 2016, 09:18 AM
I think Elon is going to continue to improve in 2016.

+1. The Phoenix are definitely headed in the right direction. With the possible exception of Rhody, i think the bottom tier of the conference should be much stronger than it has been the last few seasons.

KPSUL
January 10th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Can somebody educate me on what Towson has returning? We haven't played them since their NCAA Finalist team, so they have been a bit 'out of sight, out of mind' for me.

Regarding JMU and Maine - the teams that replaced coaches, i know little about their returning personnel except that Vad Lee is gone. What i do know is that new coaches in the CAA often exceed expectations in their first year.

I beleive their premier RB, Darius Victor, will be returning for one more season.

RootinFerDukes
January 10th, 2016, 10:04 AM

Yep, we're more likely to be more of a factor with a new coach than if ew had stayed. His star QB is gone but his terrible defense isn't. There was a question mark at QB regardless.
Whoever comes in will be a better defense in all likelihood, since it was already near the bottom. Hopefully no more forcing the unsuccessful 3-4 defense.

Terry2889
January 10th, 2016, 10:27 AM

1. Richmond
2. Towson
3. Villanova
4. William & Mary
5. New Hampshire
6. James Madison
7. Delaware
8. Stony Brook
9. Maine
10. Elon
11. Albany
12. Rhode Island

I think conference schedule is also an important consideration to factor in. If UNH had not had such a favorable schedule last year we might have been 4-7 instead of 7-4. Once again the football gods have seen fit to bless us with a very favorable schedule in regards to home/away. I see us once again as a middling 7-4/8-3 team that improves as the season continues. I believe 2017 will see UNH return to form as we have a wealth of great young talent that needs a few years to develop.

mainejeff
January 10th, 2016, 10:33 AM
This is like throwing darts but here goes.....

1. Richmond
2. Delaware
3. Maine
4. W&M
5. Towson
6. UNH
7. Stony Brook
8. Elon
9. Villanova
10. Albany
11. JMU
12. URI

RootinFerDukes
January 10th, 2016, 11:14 AM

1. Richmond
2. Delaware
3. Maine
4. W&M
5. Towson
6. UNH
7. Stony Brook
8. Elon
9. Villanova
10. Albany
11. JMU
12. URI

More like throwing darts and hitting other people. When was the last time JMU finished second to last in any I-AA conference?

Gangtackle11
January 10th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Definitely like throwing darts in January, but I need a CAA fix for the winter!

Villanova returns 8 starters on offense & 8 on defense. Big names of Cherry & Robertson are gone, but the Cats will be looking to improve on their injury filled 6-5 2015 season.

The silver lining to the career ending injury to super stud QB John Roberston was the fast track maturation of CAA Co-Offensive rookie of the year Zach Bednarczyk.

The rest of the offense has talent, but they need to take it up a notch. Most promising is slot receiver Jarret McClenton who as a frosh flashed speed & production that should see him be a top CAA player sooner than later.

The OLine was decimated with injuries. Like the QB situation 2 talented frosh got starts at RG & RT. Arguably Nova's best OLineman 6'8" 315lbs. Brad Seaton returns from injury.

Defensively it's hard to say they will be better when they lose 2-time AA Don Cherry, but that just might be the case.

6'7" 285lbs. & 4.7 40 Tanoh Kpassanon has the eyes of NFL scouts & he'll lead the line in his senior season.
It was NT by committee with 3 returning players. The other DE spot is open for competition.

Cherry is gone, but once again the LB group will be among the best in the CAA at a minimum. Senior Austin Calitro was All-CAA and arguably had a better season than Cherry last season. RS senior Corey Majors is back at the Sam LB & talented jr. Ed Shockley possibly moving to the middle. This group is talented and deep.

Defensive backs will miss hard hitting Cam McCurry, but have depth & talent. Corners Malik Reeves & Jason Ceneus are All-CAA.

So with 16 starters back & a decent CAA schedule that doesn't see UNH, Stony Brook, or W&M It appears Nova can win 7-8 games and make it back to the playoffs.

GoBlueHens83
January 10th, 2016, 11:23 AM
More like throwing darts and hitting other people. When was the last time JMU finished second to last in any I-AA conference?

2001 where JMU went 0-9 in conference play.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/standings?season=2001&group=21

Terry2889
January 10th, 2016, 11:45 AM

1. Richmond
2. Delaware
3. Maine
4. W&M
5. Towson
6. UNH
7. Stony Brook
8. Elon
9. Villanova
10. Albany
11. JMU
12. URI

Move Maine right on up the list! Zaire Williams is a major coup! Kid is a flat out stud. Coached him as a freshman and against him following his transfer to rival school. Powerful back that ran a 10.8 100 meter dash in the Spring. Oh and the fact that he's a super nice kid helps as well! Good job Black Bears!

RootinFerDukes
January 10th, 2016, 12:09 PM
2001 where JMU went 0-9 in conference play.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/standings?season=2001&group=21

Thanks and I was wondering if there was a site with standings from the A10 and Yankee days. ESPN only lists the CAA since 2007 I believe.
So yeah, 15 years removed from finishing that low leads one to believe it is unlikely to predict such a low finish.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 10th, 2016, 06:30 PM
Will the CAA ever go to two divisions again or at least some consistent rotation for scheduling???????

Catsfan90
January 10th, 2016, 06:52 PM
With the CAA ever go to two divisions again or at least some consistent rotation for scheduling???????
I would like to see this happen.

RootinFerDukes
January 10th, 2016, 07:23 PM
Be careful what you wish for. Unh tends to get a favorable, north heavy schedule.

KPSUL
January 10th, 2016, 08:26 PM
Be careful what you wish for. Unh tends to get a favorable, north heavy schedule.

UNH is 12-3 against the 4 current CAA Southern Teams since 2010. Actually, the 3 losses are all against W&M (2w, 3 L), undefeated vs Richmond, JMU and Elon.

RootinFerDukes
January 10th, 2016, 10:07 PM
UNH is 12-3 against the 4 current CAA Southern Teams since 2010. Actually, the 3 losses are all against W&M (2w, 3 L), undefeated vs Richmond, JMU and Elon.

I'm not in favor of divisions and was glad to see them go. Although I value our games against ur, wm, UD and VU more than anything anymore, I would be in favor of truly rotating to where no teams get too many easy and tough teams all at once in one season.
The fact that we haven't seen you in hburg since 2010 shows how uneven it's been. I know conference realignment screwed it all up but I'm beginning to wonder at this point.

KPSUL
January 10th, 2016, 10:27 PM
I'm not in favor of divisions and was glad to see them go. Although I value our games against ur, wm, UD and VU more than anything anymore, I would be in favor of truly rotating to where no teams get too many easy and tough teams all at once in one season.
The fact that we haven't seen you in hburg since 2010 shows how uneven it's been. I know conference realignment screwed it all up but I'm beginning to wonder at this point.

A twelve team conference really should have divisions, but it only works if you can have a conference championship game. The current FCS playoff schedule would make that impossible. I agree that it is rediculous that UNH has not played at Bridgeforth since 2010. After 2016, the two teams will have played their last three games in NH.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 10th, 2016, 11:02 PM
I don't think there is any way to predict who will be easy and tough. I betcha there were a lot of teams that thought UNH would be easy in 2004 and that Maine would be easy in 2013. Who saw Richmond being this good this season? There are so many cases of surprises over the years, it is impossible to predict. The North/South split was more about grouping with schools that fan bases viewed as having more value as well as being travel friendly. Just like JMU with UR, W&M, UD and Nova, UNH has played Maine and URI for eons while Albany and Stony Brook are America East mates. While the South probably views Maine and URI in their down years as easy games, games against opponents you've played for like a hundred years aren't as easy because of the rivalry, especially Maine.

Yes, all the coming and going has screwed things up but it seems time to set up some kind of rotation so that every school plays each other home and home within four years. Maybe the uncertainty with JMU leaving for FBS has kept that from happening? I think a set rotation is the fairest solution. Playing all eleven other teams just isn't feasible. How do you get a set rotation without forming divisions? I haven't figured out how yet.

One interesting thing has happened with the scheduling. UNH and W&M will have played each other in 2016 for the 8th or 9th consecutive year. It's starting to feel like W&M is someone we should play every year like they were Maine or URI. With all the inconsistencies with the southern schools, ODU & GA State coming and going, the loss of UMass, Hofstra and Northeastern as well as Albany and Stony Brook only being on board for three seasons, the Tribe seem like one of the staples of the UNH schedule. The Tribe, URI and Maine have been the constants on the UNH schedule through all this time. Do any other Wildcat fans feel the same way? How has the Tribe felt about UNH being a regular on their schedule.

bluehenbillk
January 11th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Too early for this right now. Normally I'd wait for Spring ball to finish & then you can throw favorites out there.

If you put a gun to my head though in no particular order: UR, Towson, W&M & JMU should be at or near the top next year.

Tribe4SF
January 11th, 2016, 12:09 PM
I don't think there is any way to predict who will be easy and tough. I betcha there were a lot of teams that thought UNH would be easy in 2004 and that Maine would be easy in 2013. Who saw Richmond being this good this season? There are so many cases of surprises over the years, it is impossible to predict. The North/South split was more about grouping with schools that fan bases viewed as having more value as well as being travel friendly. Just like JMU with UR, W&M, UD and Nova, UNH has played Maine and URI for eons while Albany and Stony Brook are America East mates. While the South probably views Maine and URI in their down years as easy games, games against opponents you've played for like a hundred years aren't as easy because of the rivalry, especially Maine.

Yes, all the coming and going has screwed things up but it seems time to set up some kind of rotation so that every school plays each other home and home within four years. Maybe the uncertainty with JMU leaving for FBS has kept that from happening? I think a set rotation is the fairest solution. Playing all eleven other teams just isn't feasible. How do you get a set rotation without forming divisions? I haven't figured out how yet.

One interesting thing has happened with the scheduling. UNH and W&M will have played each other in 2016 for the 8th or 9th consecutive year. It's starting to feel like W&M is someone we should play every year like they were Maine or URI. With all the inconsistencies with the southern schools, ODU & GA State coming and going, the loss of UMass, Hofstra and Northeastern as well as Albany and Stony Brook only being on board for three seasons, the Tribe seem like one of the staples of the UNH schedule. The Tribe, URI and Maine have been the constants on the UNH schedule through all this time. Do any other Wildcat fans feel the same way? How has the Tribe felt about UNH being a regular on their schedule.

Love playing UNH because we've fared well in the series, and because it's one of my favorite road trips. The down side is that it has kept URI off the schedule for the most part, and seems to be keeping Albany off the schedule and I'm anxious to make a trip up there. A more regular rotation with the Northern teams would be better to me. We play Stony Brook for the third year in 2016, but have yet to face Albany.

Looking at the Tribes prospects for 2016, an already pretty good offense should be better with nine starters back, a lot of depth returning, and some good redshirts ready to step in. Defense is the question after an inconsistent year and losing three very good guys and two other starters. High hopes for a number of redshirts, but they'll need to be good quickly. D-line returns 7 from 9-man rotation, and has two very promising redshirts in DT Bill Murray and DE Joe Suarez. Pass rush has to get better. LB and safety areas will be young and unproven.

Gangtackle11
January 11th, 2016, 02:17 PM
I don't get how the CAA schedule makers do the schedules.

UNH & Villanova will not play each other now for 4 seasons of this new schedule is a 2 year rotation.

Same with Stony Brook.

caribbeanhen
January 11th, 2016, 02:31 PM

1. Richmond
2. Delaware
3. Maine
4. W&M
5. Towson
6. UNH
7. Stony Brook
8. Elon
9. Villanova
10. Albany
11. JMU
12. URI

who is the Delaware QB Jeff?

Brad82
January 11th, 2016, 02:38 PM
2-3 wins at URI next season will not be classified as improvement.
Maybe this past year those totals would have been OK.

mainejeff
January 11th, 2016, 03:45 PM

You'll see. ;)

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 12th, 2016, 01:59 PM
I think it's crazy that after four years we'll have teams that have yet to play Albany or Stony Brook. How many after this third year will not have played Elon?

UAalum72
January 12th, 2016, 03:14 PM
I think it's crazy that after four years we'll have teams that have yet to play Albany or Stony Brook. How many after this third year will not have played Elon?
Albany plays Elon for the first time this year, but hasn't yet played William & Mary, and Towson only once in four years.

PurpleStreamers
January 12th, 2016, 03:32 PM
Brian Ewart and the crew at vuhoops.com (Villanova's strong SB Nation Blog) just noted an "announcement concerning the Villanova Football coming tomorrow." Speculation it may be Andy Talley's resignation. Who knows, but that sure would shake things up.

caribbeanhen
January 12th, 2016, 07:08 PM
You'll see. ;)

this means you and I both don't have a clue who it will be .... haha

URMite
January 13th, 2016, 04:03 PM

Some transfer from Clemson...

URMite
January 13th, 2016, 04:07 PM
Although it applies to all FCS, a few CAA included...

http://sprts.yahoo.com/news/sneak-peek-fcs-2016-190444229--ncaaf.html

KPSUL
January 13th, 2016, 06:46 PM
Although it applies to all FCS, a few CAA included...

http://sprts.yahoo.com/news/sneak-peek-fcs-2016-190444229--ncaaf.html

The link didn't work

caribbeanhen
January 13th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Some transfer from Clemson...

really....golly gosh gee haha

Gater
January 13th, 2016, 07:04 PM
Here's the link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sneak-peek-fcs-2016-190444229--ncaaf.html