PDA

View Full Version : UNI OC Joe Davis gone?

PantherRob82
January 9th, 2016, 06:50 PM
I can't share my source, but I was told from a legit source that Joe Davis is no longer the offensive coordinator at UNI.

NDSUFREAK
January 9th, 2016, 06:55 PM
Based on UNI poster frustrations with the offense at times would this be a good thing?

PantherRob82
January 9th, 2016, 06:56 PM
Based on UNI poster frustrations with the offense at times would this be a good thing?

No. Our frustration is that he wasn't allowded to do his thing. We were afraid of this result.

Winindy
January 9th, 2016, 06:57 PM
As in let go? Thought as the season went on, especially after the second half of the NDSU game, they were rolling pretty well. I thought they were looking good going forward.

centennial
January 9th, 2016, 06:57 PM
Actually from what I saw Farley didn't even let him run his offense after few games in the season.

NDSUFREAK
January 9th, 2016, 07:00 PM
In that case I would assume he left on his own terms...

PantherRob82
January 9th, 2016, 07:04 PM
In that case I would assume he left on his own terms...

Or he got fired because they couldn't get along. Who knows?

clenz
January 9th, 2016, 07:35 PM
No.

Joe Davis being allowed to implement his offense would have been a good thing.

He did through the spring and first two weeks of fall camp. Farley got cold feet when the defense outplayed the offense in a scrimmage.....shocking that a UNI defense looked good, right?....and pulled the plug on it. It was mentioned he'd go into Farley's office on Monday and ask who his QB for the week would be so he'd know what game plan to try to put in.

I wouldn't be shocked if Davis left on his own/worked some deal to be able to leave.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually from what I saw Farley didn't even let him run his offense after few games in the season.
He didn't even get to the season before his offense was nixed.

clenz
January 9th, 2016, 07:42 PM
WR coach Jason Ray is rumored to have taken another position as well.

Supposedly Ray moved to Missouri State. He is a Mizzou alumn and spend a couple years at Okie State before coming to UNI. Might just be a "home area" move for him. He does move jobs quite frequently though.

MSU is his 4th school since 2011

IBleedYellow
January 9th, 2016, 07:49 PM
Wouldn't suprise me? Farley never let him do his offense that he wanted to run.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

clenz
January 9th, 2016, 07:54 PM
Wouldn't suprise me? Farley never let him do his offense that he wanted to run.

I'd put money on Bill Salmon moving back to OC after being removed from co-OC with Mario Verduzco for years before that.

Supposedly former UNI All Conference TE Ryan Mahaffey, who also spent time in the NFL, was hired to the offensive staff. No position announced but it sounds like he's on campus involved in the program already.

Sounds like the while Verduzco/Salmon were co-OC, Mario ran the show.

If Bill goes back to OC I think we go to an offense more similar to NDSU. Back to the big hoss offensive lineman. Power style run game.

BisonFan02
January 9th, 2016, 08:03 PM
I'd put money on Bill Salmon moving back to OC after being removed from co-OC with Mario Verduzco for years before that.

Supposedly former UNI All Conference TE Ryan Mahaffey, who also spent time in the NFL, was hired to the offensive staff. No position announced but it sounds like he's on campus involved in the program already.

If Bill goes back to OC I think we go to an offense more similar to NDSU. Back to the big hoss offensive lineman. Power style run game.

....which you absolutely should be. It would complement your defense.

clenz
January 9th, 2016, 08:06 PM
....which you absolutely should be. It would complement your defense.
Yup.

This dominant defense, even after being on the field 35+ minutes, needs help. The offense was scoring points at the end of the year but it wasn't sustained drives. It was 3 and outs and TD drives less than 3 minutes long.

No rest for that defense.

BisonFan02
January 9th, 2016, 08:37 PM
Yup.

This dominant defense, even after being on the field 35+ minutes, needs help. The offense was scoring points at the end of the year but it wasn't sustained drives. It was 3 and outs and TD drives less than 3 minutes long.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

IBleedYellow
January 9th, 2016, 09:04 PM
So UNI is about to become even more potent.

Good.

Wilson16
January 9th, 2016, 09:14 PM
Dump him. Can't get out of his own way

centennial
January 9th, 2016, 09:18 PM
The more I see UNI- Farley- Great recruiter, excellent defenses, terrible 4th quarter coach, can't make up his mind on offense. Also don't like that UNI has trouble developing QB's. Player talent is definitely top 5 FCS.

Wilson16
January 9th, 2016, 09:24 PM
The more I see UNI- Farley- Great recruiter, excellent defenses, terrible 4th quarter coach, can't make up his mind on offense. Also don't like that UNI has trouble developing QB's. Player talent is definitely top 5 FCS.
Can't get out of his own way. Sad.

NDSUFREAK
January 10th, 2016, 12:08 AM
Serious question but why isn't Farley on the hot seat? Especially with the possibility that that the OC left on his own terms (not confirmed...just my speculation)? UNI is a powerhouse but it seems like Farley limits the growth for UNI...and can't reach the next level

Winindy
January 10th, 2016, 06:49 AM
Serious question but why isn't Farley on the hot seat? Especially with the possibility that that the OC left on his own terms (not confirmed...just my speculation)? UNI is a powerhouse but it seems like Farley limits the growth for UNI...and can't reach the next level

Minnesota thought the same thing when they let Mason go. Brewster got them to the next level alright.

PantherRob82
January 10th, 2016, 11:04 AM

Read the "Fire Farley "thread on PantherNation if you want to hear all sides of that.

Bisonator
January 10th, 2016, 11:18 AM

Pretty much what I figured would happen. Never thought a "hurry up" offense would sit well with a defensive minded coach. It's counter productive to good defense. Big question is why Farley thought that would be a good hire to begin with??? Basically wasted at least 1 year and maybe more.

PantherRob82
January 10th, 2016, 12:13 PM
Here's a good question: Did the AD push Farley into needing to change the offense, AD is gone, now Davis is gone?

IBleedYellow
January 10th, 2016, 12:37 PM
Here's a good question: Did the AD push Farley into needing to change the offense, AD is gone, now Davis is gone?
That would make sense, until you take into consideration that Farley didn't even attempt to run any form of HUNH while Dannon was still there this year.

PantherRob82
January 10th, 2016, 12:46 PM
That would make sense, until you take into consideration that Farley didn't even attempt to run any form of HUNH while Dannon was still there this year.

There was still offensive change, as in a new coach and slightly different schemes. We still have Dannon yogurt on campus. Dannen is gone though. ;)

clenz
January 10th, 2016, 01:09 PM
A change at OC was needed. There was no question about that.

Mario "left" for Misery State and moving Salmon from co OC to full OC wasn't going to please people.

Salmon staying in staff is a pretty good indication, in hindsight, what the issue may have been before

Dannen may have pushed for a guy like Davis. No idea

I hope we see a shift back to 6'6 310 plus OL from the 6'5 290 we've been going with. A back like Tyvis Smith, or DJ before, are perfect bruiser backs to run that

The new OC will be telling of what UNI/Farley is going to be.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 10th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Or he got fired because they couldn't get along. Who knows?

It is very odd the similarities of UNI and Montana this year. Yours is the OC, ours is the DC.

IBleedYellow
January 10th, 2016, 03:36 PM
Dannen. Lol phone has a mind of its own...

UNIFanSince1983
January 11th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Is there any confirmation on this?

PantherRob82
January 11th, 2016, 06:29 PM
Yes, Rima confirmed it today during On Press Row.

JayJ79
January 12th, 2016, 01:56 AM
Yes, Rima confirmed it today during On Press Row.

after he pulled his nose out of Trump's sphincter? (I kid, I kid)

clenz
January 12th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Confirmed to the "mass media"

What are the odds Terry Allen ends up back at UNI?

Can see it now
Head Coach: Mark Farley
Asst Head Coach/OC: Terry Allen
Asst Head Coach/RB/run game guy: Bill Salmon
TE/FB Coach: Ryan Mahaffey

All UNI grads, all played football at UNI. Terry and Bill both played QB and ran a system that was power run with vertical passing routes. Mahaffey was a monster at blocking for a power run game and picking up pass block.

Get a guy with a big arm behind center - ala Pat Grace, Ryan Helming, Eric Sanders (Wasn't a big arm but fits that offense) and you've got UNI circa 05-09 again.

Damn...make that happen.

Defensively Bryce Paup is a UNI coach that coaches the DL.
DC Jeremiah Johnson has coached at UNI for a decade and in the state of Iowa for about 15 years and played for Farley/TA at Kansas in the late 90s
Director of Ops is DJ Hord - played WR at UNI...

PantherRob82
January 12th, 2016, 01:47 PM
Confirmed to the "mass media"

What are the odds Terry Allen ends up back at UNI?

Can see it now
Head Coach: Mark Farley
Asst Head Coach/OC: Terry Allen
Asst Head Coach/RB/run game guy: Bill Salmon
TE/FB Coach: Ryan Mahaffey

All UNI grads, all played football at UNI. Terry and Bill both played QB and ran a system that was power run with vertical passing routes. Mahaffey was a monster at blocking for a power run game and picking up pass block.

Get a guy with a big arm behind center - ala Pat Grace, Ryan Helming, Eric Sanders (Wasn't a big arm but fits that offense) and you've got UNI circa 05-09 again.

Damn...make that happen.

Defensively Bryce Paup is a UNI coach that coaches the DL.
DC Jeremiah Johnson has coached at UNI for a decade and in the state of Iowa for about 15 years and played for Farley/TA at Kansas in the late 90s
Director of Ops is DJ Hord - played WR at UNI...

Dalton Demos would look great in that offense.

clenz
January 12th, 2016, 01:49 PM
Dalton Demos would look great in that offense.
Demos or Dunne....

Though TA did have some pretty good packages for Keiran during his time at MSU the last few years. Bailey could work in something like that.

Long story short, it sounds like the painful days of trying to force a running QB into the UNI offense are over....hopefully

PantherRob82
January 12th, 2016, 02:02 PM
Demos or Dunne....

Though TA did have some pretty good packages for Keiran during his time at MSU the last few years. Bailey could work in something like that.

Long story short, it sounds like the painful days of trying to force a running QB into the UNI offense are over....hopefully

I plan on the basketball team losing games it shouldn't and the football team having a frustrating offense until proven otherwise. Helps my sanity. :D

clenz
January 12th, 2016, 02:06 PM
I plan on the basketball team losing games it shouldn't and the football team having a frustrating offense until proven otherwise. Helps my sanity. :D
High aspirations/low expectations.

PantherRob82
January 12th, 2016, 02:21 PM
High aspirations/low expectations.

Exactly.

clenz
January 12th, 2016, 02:23 PM
Exactly.
You can see the teams in my signature.

The only reason sports hasn't caused me off myself from following those teams is through that motto

PantherRob82
January 12th, 2016, 02:41 PM
You can see the teams in my signature.

The only reason sports hasn't caused me off myself from following those teams is through that motto

xlolx

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
January 12th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Yup.

It was a travesty because IMO UNI was top 3 defense in the nation. I would take NDSU, UNI, and JSU for top 3. UNI may have been the best of the three. The other two could not match your secondary, they were STUDS. and yes the other levels were outstanding too. Your LB's can graduate anytime....

clenz
January 12th, 2016, 03:04 PM
It was a travesty because IMO UNI was top 3 defense in the nation. I would take NDSU, UNI, and JSU for top 3. UNI may have been the best of the three. The other two could not match your secondary, they were STUDS. and yes the other levels were outstanding too. Your LB's can graduate anytime....
Farley was a sophomore
D'Shawn Dexter was a junior
Brett McMakin was a junior

A.J. Allen, Rickey Neal and Duncan Ferch were all freshman with upside every bit that, if not more, than those three.

That's the crazy part with UNI. Everyone one always hopes the LBs and DL from that years team are gone. The guys that step in are just as good. Karter Shult set the MVFC record for sacks in a season. Didn't play much last year when Xavier Williams and Mac O'Brien were on campus. Before those two was Ben Boothby. Before him Everette Peadisclaux...all All Conference/All American DL.

LB we have the current group that was preceeded by Jake Farley, Jordan Gacke, Sam Tim, etc... that were All Conference type guys. Before them was L.J. Fort, James Conley, Jordan Smith. All All Conference/DPOY/All American type guys in their own right. Before that we had guys like De'Veon Harris, Brannon Carter, etc.. that were DPOY, All American, All Conference guys. Those names just only since 2007

The offense just hasn't been there to compliment it since 2008

UNIFanSince1983
January 12th, 2016, 04:11 PM
Demos or Dunne....

This started long before Davis was here so why would it all of a sudden end now that he is gone?

clenz
January 12th, 2016, 04:27 PM
This started long before Davis was here so why would it all of a sudden end now that he is gone?
Right.

I have to believe the narrative will play out like this:
Pre 2010 Bill and Mario were co-OC but in 2010 more control was given to Mario over the offense and he decided that talent like Rennie (whom had been at Ellsworth Community College...an hour down HWY 20 from Cedar Falls) was too good to pass on and started to install a spread system. Brought him in, and for as much **** as Rennie gets as being terrible was pretty good. Sawyer was real good his freshman year using the that same type of spread system but just didn't match the vision Mario had. Thus Carnes was brought in. Carnes was a complete failure, but at that point the entire offensive line had gone through a recruiting cycle of spread built OL vs power built OL (I also believe this is part of the reason Rick Nelson left - along with a good set up for family life for him). Davis came in with the promise of taking the spread look to a new level. That excited a guy like Bailey who decided to come in. Farley figured we were already balls deep and promises were made to Carnes and Bailey to get them to campus they had to see the field.

Now that the spread system didn't produce the offensive results wanted, and Davis has moved on, Salmon can step in and bring back the power game as, outside of Bailey, all of the QB's on the roster are a more pro style QB.

BisonTru
January 12th, 2016, 04:31 PM
Alright I'm gonna hi-jack this thread mainly because you UNI guys are all in here.

What should we expect as far as tickets for the Iowa game? Are there lots of singles that go on sale? How's the secondary market?

PantherRob82
January 12th, 2016, 04:34 PM
Alright I'm gonna hi-jack this thread mainly because you UNI guys are all in here.

What should we expect as far as tickets for the Iowa game? Are there lots of singles that go on sale? How's the secondary market?

Coming off the Rose Bowl the tickets may be difficult, especially because I expect a lot of Bison fans to attend.

clenz
January 12th, 2016, 04:36 PM

Next year is tough to judge.

Years like the last few the season ticket fan base has dropped off BIG TIME and there were tons of after market, or even straight from Iowa, tickets. They lost something like 10-15K season ticket holders from 14/15 to 15/16

HOWEVER, coming off a 12-2 Rose Bowl season, with a top 10 finish, and with something like 8 starters back on D and 7 or 8 back on offense I would imagine Iowa will start the year selling out all 70,585 tickets to that game with zero problem.

There will be tickets available, but they will be more expensive and harder to come by than normal.

My recommendation is to be closer to half way up than field level. I've sat 2 rows off the visiting bench, first row right off concourse entrance, and 3/4 of the way up on the visitor sideline, as well as field level endzone view at Kinnick. Best seats, by far, are about 30-40 rows off the field there.

UNIFanSince1983
January 12th, 2016, 04:37 PM

Well it really depends. They lost a TON of season ticket holders after the end of last year. People were fed up with Ferentz and thought why should I support this anymore. I assume at the beginning of this year it was really easy to get tickets. I guess it depends on how the fan base bounces back after the year they just had this year. If they end up selling a bunch more season tickets again since every say they should be good again next year it might be tough. I have never had issues getting tickets for games there, though, so I don't expect you would either.

BisonTru
January 12th, 2016, 04:43 PM
Next year is tough to judge.

Years like the last few the season ticket fan base has dropped off BIG TIME and there were tons of after market, or even straight from Iowa, tickets. They lost something like 10-15K season ticket holders from 14/15 to 15/16

HOWEVER, coming off a 12-2 Rose Bowl season, with a top 10 finish, and with something like 8 starters back on D and 7 or 8 back on offense I would imagine Iowa will start the year selling out all 70,585 tickets to that game with zero problem.

There will be tickets available, but they will be more expensive and harder to come by than normal.

My recommendation is to be closer to half way up than field level. I've sat 2 rows off the visiting bench, first row right off concourse entrance, and 3/4 of the way up on the visitor sideline, as well as field level endzone view at Kinnick. Best seats, by far, are about 30-40 rows off the field there.

30-40 rows up seams like a lot, but I'll take your word. I'm contemplating buying season tickets and selling the remaining games. I would think Iowa State would catch a pretty penny. How does Wisconsin and Nebraska travel? Seems those games should gather a premium as well.

PantherRob82
January 12th, 2016, 05:21 PM
30-40 rows up seams like a lot, but I'll take your word. I'm contemplating buying season tickets and selling the remaining games. I would think Iowa State would catch a pretty penny. How does Wisconsin and Nebraska travel? Seems those games should gather a premium as well.

It can be feast or famine. I've known some season ticket holders and sometimes they made a profit and sometimes they could barely give tickets away.

clenz
January 12th, 2016, 05:36 PM
Concourse level is row 40 or 41 I believe.

There are something like 76 rows in Kinnick. It's not as high as you'd think. You get below row 25 or so and you cut off seeing action on the sideline because of how tight the sidelines are

BisonTru
January 12th, 2016, 05:41 PM
Concourse level is row 40 or 41 I believe.

There are something like 76 rows in Kinnick. It's not as high as you'd think. You get below row 25 or so and you cut off seeing action on the sideline because of how tight the sidelines are

Thanks. Looking at photos that looks like solid advice. Doesn't look like the first couple rows could see much of anything.

clenz
January 12th, 2016, 05:45 PM
Thanks. Looking at photos that looks like solid advice. Doesn't look like the first couple rows could see much of anything.

You see nothing. Been there done that. 30-40 is the sweet spot. Bring extra sun screen if on the visitors side. You'll burn like a burger left on a grill for an hour

BisonTru
January 12th, 2016, 05:47 PM
It can be feast or famine. I've known some season ticket holders and sometimes they made a profit and sometimes they could barely give tickets away.

My Dads been a Vikes season ticket holder for 15 years. Unfortunately I know plenty about donating tickets.

My thoughts are if I can get 3/4 of my money outta ISU, UN, UW. Then that last 1/4 is gamble on UI being any good. Either way I'm out some money to go to the NDSU game.

Grizzlies82
January 12th, 2016, 05:56 PM

No need to hi-jack, you could just start up another thread. Though since you asked let me help you. Tickets will be plentiful.

A. The Iowa fans unfamiliar with ND State won't go because they'll believe it's a likely beat down on a small college program.
B. The Iowa fans familiar with ND State won't go because they know there is a good chance they'll see Iowa lose to an FCS program.
C. Many ND State fans won't go because they'll be too hung over from celebrating their 6th consecutive National Championship in advance.

All in all, plenty of tickets to be had. Always glad to help. It is what I do.

TheKingpin28
January 12th, 2016, 07:32 PM
Unless you are on the visitor sidelines and get to heckle them, what clenz says is accurate. However, I've got my ticket lined up through my family who have been boosters since the 50s and they are pretty close to the field; (4th row I believe). Now if you get the chance to go into the press boxes or skyboxes, take that 10/10. The views and sights are amazing. Can't wait to be heckled and party outside of the old law college on the hill with some left over Pagliai's, my family (oldest cousin is in mid 40s, I'm the youngest at 23; will be 24 by the time the game happens), and a bunch of Hawkeye fans.

clenz
January 12th, 2016, 07:46 PM
Didn't even think about the time I saw a game as a VIP guest of Bob Brooks in the suites for a game in 2013. That's a pretty nice place to watch a game

Yep, you read that one right. This same poster, who despises almost everything related to UofI athletics was a VIP guest of THE Bob Brooks...

PantherRob82
January 12th, 2016, 07:48 PM
Last time we went we sat beneath the press box for shade. :D

TheKingpin28
January 12th, 2016, 08:00 PM
I'd do a lot to be able to watch a game up there. I only got to tour Kinnick since my family decides to blindly give to the overlords that are UofI and it was an indepth one to say the least. It's a place I could honestly say, if i ever had money, one of my first things, besides blindly give to ndsu, is to watch a game from the skyboxes. Better question though, Clenz, how did you pull that one off? was it when you worked as a college scout? Brooks is one of the men who I'd love to hear about his time through 6+ decades of Iowa sports.

clenz
January 12th, 2016, 08:31 PM
I'd do a lot to be able to watch a game up there. I only got to tour Kinnick since my family decides to blindly give to the overlords that are UofI and it was an indepth one to say the least. It's a place I could honestly say, if i ever had money, one of my first things, besides blindly give to ndsu, is to watch a game from the skyboxes. Better question though, Clenz, how did you pull that one off? was it when you worked as a college scout? Brooks is one of the men who I'd love to hear about his time through 6+ decades of Iowa sports.

I have connections...xlolx
Nothing to do with me working with Rivals.

For real though, it was an honor even I couldn't pass, or appreciate enough. I took my father-in-law who has been a die hard Hawk his whole life

TheKingpin28
January 12th, 2016, 08:56 PM
That's just not even fair. That must have been one of those "kodak" moments where time must have stood still. To my family, there are only 3 "sports guys" that could decide how most of my fathers side reacts to life and what the next step should be in life. Brooks, John Henry (unfortunately, my grandparents never got to see a WS come home to RSN), and Coach Fry. Besides my father and one of my aunts, they will walk by faith if any of those 3 were to say something. For me, it's only Henry. For what he did to restore that club, he will have a special place in my heart.

UNI Pike
January 12th, 2016, 10:10 PM
I learned of Davis leaving today. What a CF. Farley brought in a guy that believed whole heartedly in the up tempo Oregon / Clemson type offense. Then Farley, for whatever reason(s), handcuffed Davis in every way possible.

I feel bad for Davis - he wasn't allowed to succeed or fail on his own terms. Now looking for a job.

The only thing for certain I know is that at least 2 fewer season tickets will be sold for next year.

This is happening while there is no permanent AD in place. Coincidence, I'm sure.

From my NSA monitored nexus 5